New alcohol rules and CM bars

daoyai

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took Thaksin a few years to get to the absolute power corrupts absolutely stage. This one's got there in 12 months. His wishes become commands and if you don't obey, you will be arrested. This is a crazy law. What's next? It's quite scary what he might do next.

Amongst those who vocally supported the junta will not be the poor girls, who pretty well live hand to mouth, and will now be out of a job.

You can also include under the not to loyal supporter list all those who make deliveries of ice, food and alcohol.

There are going to be some real tragedies enacted.

I thought 'Thainess' also included caring for the Thai people. Apparently not.

Us old toss pots will be OK, we'll adjust and just find another bar or bars outside the prohibition areas.

If the military enforce this with an iron fist, then I think they will have a <deleted> fight on their hands. There are a lot of people's livelihoods (sp.) tied up in this industry and a fair amount of baht to boot.

I cannot see owners and proprietors rolling over like a domestic dog on this one.

Time will tell, I only hope it doesn't turn ugly (violent) as a result.... It may well come to pass (as some have said) that a new drinking area(s) rise from the ground. And perhaps not in the CBD area. As a result I can see certain parts of the CBD dying (In the interim at least).

I think the Junta need to be very careful where they tread and what they are wishing to achieve. The Thai people are not always meek....

re

What's the likely impact on Nimmanheiman?

if sirithana commercial college which is opposite the dome condo is within 300 yards ?

quite a lot :)

dave2

ps ... if this actually happens im going to loose quite a lot of bars i use and two of my mom and pop buy booze here anytime shops :(

dave2

post-42592-0-95213600-1437795497_thumb.p

Nothing

Hmm, the Bangkok Post report I just saw suggests otherwise…Nimman is one of the areas likely to be adversely impacted according to the group of 80 owners protesting ( I mean disagreeing politely) with the new law...
I agree but it is just a unenforceable policy from a practical and economic standpoint. Such massive social change done rapidly is not possible, unless you look at historical examples where the state directly assaults the people. That is not possible here. What you will see is a cudgel of selective enforcement to change certain areas.

We are scarcely 15 years into "the Asian Century". As for our side of town somebody might decide they don't want a Gay Bar there anymore, or drive out a foreign owner, etcetera. As for Nimman, as there are no poorly dressed Farang with facial hair sitting in bar beers I think the change will be minimal.

Looks like things just got worse. sad.png

BANGKOK: All sales of alcohol near schools nationwide, without exemption or exception, were banned yesterday under a vaguely worded order from the military government

"The law includes no language defining how near is “near.” The law includes all schools, not just high schools and universities. The law includes no exceptions or exemptions. The law went into immediate effect. Yesterday."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843099-surprise-new-thailand-booze-ban-now-in-effect/

This means the Zoe area and Spicy also , the last part of some sort of night life in CM

Google map list of most schools in CM area including cooking, massage, etc. The red dots are various schools. Only time will tell as to what is classified as what. It could be catastrophic for tourism (where is TAT, awful quiet), businesses with potential loss of hundreds to thousands of jobs. And I'm not a 'sky is falling' kind of person. smile.png

19799684198_6eea562e2e_c.jpg

re

If its all schools, think it means the whole of the inside of the moat will be dry.

your probably right sad.png

if it includes temple schools

the bar boxing centre on loi kroh would be wiped out coz theres a small school in the temple 200 yards up the road

and anusarn market woud go as well because of the big junior school opposite pantip plaza !

some of the numb nuts new laws in this country are begining to be pathetic sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-96570700-1437803935_thumb.j

post-42592-0-75428900-1437803966_thumb.j

I can't believe you guys who have lived for so long are getting so worked about this!

Do you not recall all of the other countless "announcements" that were made and not enforced over the years?

Do you really think such massive changes will happen?

Of course not, so sit down and relax.

And FYI, straight from a bar owners mouth, they have already paid a "fine" to the police regarding this new situation a couple of days ago.

So, as some have previously suggested, it has already turned into another tea money making opportunity.

Nothing more, nothing less, and certainly nothing new.

As usual.

Relax people, TIT.

(where is TAT, awful quiet)smile.png

19799684198_6eea562e2e_c.jpg

They are busy compiling a new press/propoganda release stating how many hundreds of thousands of extra tourists have arrived since the alcohol ban was announced...... Erm, it was only announced a day ago...... Lets not have reality stand in the way of a good TAT spin opportunity.

A report from the Suthep area of CMU: There is a good size outdoor bar near my condo, that is about 100 meters from Suthep Rd., and the edge of CMU property. They were often open until 4am for the big soccer games. It wasn't on my side of the building so it was OK by me. There was also a smaller, one woman operation, in the same outdoor venue. They both shuttered about 10 days ago. I thought perhaps they had sold to someone under-age or got in trouble for not being closed by Midnight. I also noticed most of the tables and chairs that were normally left outside, were gone. Last night, I was walking out of 7-11, and saw a customer from one of the bars, who knows the owner. He said "new policy" and they might be closed for ever. I had thought perhaps it was just going to be the next place, with the green fence around it indicating condo construction. The 7-11s haven't skipped a beat, including the one 50m from the main back entrance to CMU.

So is it only bars or take-away, too? Could forcing these people to sell their land have something to do with it?

Now this is getting silly...... I'm sure the (un) happy police will be along soon to quell any smiling or people enjoying themselves. As has been said....if the little kiddie winkles want to partake of booze, they will find a way. Hell I did when still attending school and under legal age.

This enforcement stops nothing apart from legally aged folk enjoying a tipple.

re

if sirithana commercial college which is opposite the dome condo is within 300 yards ?

quite a lot :)

dave2

ps ... if this actually happens im going to loose quite a lot of bars i use and two of my mom and pop buy booze here anytime shops :(

dave2

There is a school on Nimmenhamen 17 on Nimmenhamen.

The bottom half of Nimmanhamin is almost all CMU property, that's where the University Center is in, along with fitness trails, agriculture projects, etc. I don't think they teach classes there, so it depends on how strictly the law is interpreted. If every business within 300 meters of CMU property is affected it will shut down Warm Up and many other places.

If the rule is applied to every school, including language schools, it will shut down most of Nimmanhamin and the rest of the city. That's why I agree with those who think that this will just be another one of the unenforced laws that are used to shakedown business owners. However I'm worried that there may be an unpleasant period in which the laws are temporarily enforced to scare business owners into paying up.

My impression is that truly corrupt countries are not lawless, they are buried in laws that are used to solicit bribes. Poorly thought out laws such as this one are a great motivator for bribes.

The bottom half of Nimmanhamin is almost all CMU property, that's where the University Center is in, along with fitness trails, agriculture projects, etc. I don't think they teach classes there, so it depends on how strictly the law is interpreted. If every business within 300 meters of CMU property is affected it will shut down Warm Up and many other places.

If the rule is applied to every school, including language schools, it will shut down most of Nimmanhamin and the rest of the city. That's why I agree with those who think that this will just be another one of the unenforced laws that are used to shakedown business owners. However I'm worried that there may be an unpleasant period in which the laws are temporarily enforced to scare business owners into paying up.

My impression is that truly corrupt countries are not lawless, they are buried in laws that are used to solicit bribes. Poorly thought out laws such as this one are a great motivator for bribes.

We're off to an interesting beginning, that's for sure:

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang today removed six top ranking police officers from Pathumthani province to the Royal Thai Police's

Operation Centre in 24 hours after they failed to heed his order on implementing the military junta's tough action to tackle street racing and alcohol selling by entertainment

establishment, pubs and bars locating near the vicinities of education institutions.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-senior-police-officers-of-pathumthani-province-removed

Bars and businesses will adapt. New areas and bars will spring up elsewhere, which may not be a bad thing.

Loi Kroh deserves to be shut down. The bars are beyond woeful, sad establishments...with the crappiest pool tables ever.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

Chez Marco certainly does not deserve to be shut down, they might have to if this poorly conceived Fatwa is enforced as written.

Most people fancy a glass of wine when they eat a nice meal.

Lets not be selective based on opinion, nobody deserves to get closed down.This law is an ass. Have they thought about the unemployment this will cause if they enforce this draconian rule.

I thought improving education,upgrading hospitals and the effect the drought is having on farmers might take priority amongst a host of other things but no stop people enjoying their leisure time,totally stupid.

Bars and businesses will adapt. New areas and bars will spring up elsewhere, which may not be a bad thing.

Loi Kroh deserves to be shut down. The bars are beyond woeful, sad establishments...with the crappiest pool tables ever.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

DLock are you serious ? "bars and busineses will adapt " So imagine,if you can, you are a bar owner or restaurant and you are tied into a long lease or have paid a lot of money for the freehold and almost overnight you are forced out of business and your staff have to be laid off and the cash flow stops.

Put yourself in their shoes , could you adapt ? start all over again from scratch ? and crappy pool tables taking priority over peoples lives ...amazingly sympathetic post.

If the rule is applied to every school, including language schools, it will shut down most of Nimmanhamin and the rest of the city.

Right now, the law seems to read; banning the sale of alcohol within 300m. of any tertiary ed. facility, that is universities, colleges and technical schools.

I doubt that language schools fit that description. The sky is not falling.

Maybe they can do what I've witnessed in dry counties in North Carolina and Salt Lake City, Utah. "Sir, this is a private club; not a bar, and today we are offering one night memberships for 2 USD, or if you wait a few minutes, you can be a guest of one of our members." There was a great club about three blocks from the Mormon Tabernacle..2 USD St. Pauli Girl Bottles, ice cold, and the place was spotlessly clean.

Archived