New alcohol rules and CM bars

daoyai

As you may have read in the Thai News forum a new law was signed by the P.M. banning the sale of alcohol within 300m. of any tertiary ed. facility, that is universities, colleges and technical schools. There is a large tech. college on Kochasan Rd. that by my estimation would affect the operation of some Loi Kroh bars as well as bars and restos inside the moat such as Mad Dog and others along that stretch. Waddaya think , will it happen?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiang Mai Technological College. 18.783303227, 98.9932208746 . Reading the law if it in enforced it will devastate all bars and restaurants in that area on Kotchasarn Road, Mun Meuang Road and Loi Kroh. Turn out the lights the party is over. Yes to you question this would include Mad Dog.

BTW you can read the new law at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842654-pm-prayut-orders-ban-on-alcohol-sales-near-universities-and-vocational-colleges/

If the actual wording is 'sell/sales', thats easily circumvented by food and entertainment establishments. A little more difficult for stores who sell alcohol for off premises consumption.

I can see some creative menu writing coming in the near future.

I think it excludes those that have a "government Permit".... so those that have such are exempt. Probably most of the Loi Kroh services/hotels/etc. are exempt.

Taken from the original news article:

"However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree."

I can think of five places that sell beer on the part of Suthep Rd., that is right across the street from campus...3 of them 7-11s. The CMU students seem to be light drinkers IMO, compared with the people I went to uni with. Never seen any problems whatsoever over by Metro Tech, either.

Don't know if this map is accurate but this is the prohibition zone centered on Chidlom/Lower Suk. It does not require advanced econometric analysis to show the massive losses and displacements such a policy would ensure.

post-84769-0-72608100-1437643855_thumb.g

Rather than go after sellers to minors and fining the parents....Its best to blow the knee caps out of the Entertainment /tourist sectors. Nothing will change......just like helmet laws....or passanger limits on motorbikes.....Its really to bad they cant come up with laws that actualy work and help the public.....litter and drunk driving comes to mind.

Chiang Mai Technological College. 18.783303227, 98.9932208746

Actually the one you are listing is the Chiang Mai Commercial Technological College. The Chiang Mai Technical College is North just inside the NW corner of the moat.

A couple of maps I did showing the area effected at both. First one the Commercial Technological College, the 2nd the Technical College.

post-566-0-87668500-1437673641_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-79593500-1437672113_thumb.jpg

Actually the one you are listing is the Chiang Mai Commercial Technological College. The Chiang Mai Technical College is North just inside the NW corner of the moat.

A couple of maps I did showing the area effected at both. First one the Commercial Technological College, the 2nd the Technological College.

attachicon.gifCM Commercial Technical College.jpg

attachicon.gifCM Technical College.jpg

There goes all the bars in soi 1 and soi 2 Moon Muang. Tiger Kingdom and Mad Dog will be dry. Only John's Place looks like it has escaped by a nano metre.

This could be considered as 'cruel and unusual punishment'. Think of all the poor old curmudgeons that will be displaced when their favourite watering holes are closed to protect the feckless youth of Chiang Mai. They will be like ghost ships sailing up and down the sois in seach of their lost ports.

Better, I say, they change the edict to read that all colleges and schools within 300 metres of a bar or liquor outlet must be closed during drinking hours. After all, most of the little darlings, unlike the curmudgeonly drinkers, are only wasting their time there.

Of course there is one other recourse and that is to get rid of that other 'Mad Dog' who is promulgating these edicts.

A couple of maps I did showing the area effected at both. First one the Commercial Technological College, the 2nd the Technological College.

There goes all the bars in soi 1 and soi 2 Moon Muang. Tiger Kingdom and Mad Dog will be dry. Only John's Place looks like it has escaped by a nano metre.

This could be considered as 'cruel and unusual punishment'. Think of all the poor old curmudgeons that will be displaced when their favourite watering holes are closed to protect the feckless youth of Chiang Mai. They will be like ghost ships sailing up and down the sois in seach of their lost ports.

Better, I say, they change the edict to read that all colleges and schools within 300 metres of a bar or liquor outlet must be closed during drinking hours. After all, most of the little darlings, unlike the curmudgeonly drinkers, are only wasting their time there.

Of course there is one other recourse and that is to get rid of that other 'Mad Dog' who is promulgating these edicts.

I have mentioned on Thai visa many times in the past, that those who make the decisions here in Chiang Mai are going to one way or another close down what`s left of the bar scene in the Loi Kroh Road and surrounding areas. It`s all on borrowed time, and once gone, the police will not be issuing any new licences for an equivalent elsewhere in the city.

For those considering opening or taking over beer bars within the area, should reconsider because you`re be backing a loser.

I have mentioned on Thai visa many times in the past, that those who make the decisions here in Chiang Mai are going to one way or another close down what`s left of the bar scene in the Loi Kroh Road and surrounding areas. It`s all on borrowed time, and once gone, the police will not be issuing any new licences for an equivalent elsewhere in the city.

For those considering opening or taking over beer bars within the area, should reconsider because you`re be backing a loser.

Is this inside information or an educated guess?

Like you said you have mentioned many times in the past that the bars in Loi kroh will be closed and have been totally wrong every time. This ruling was not made by Chiang mai authorities so has nothing to do with your previous predictions. How to close the bars in Loi kroh was not at the front of the minds of the decision makers.

I usually don't comment on government decisions but this is an OTT knee jerk decision based on Bangkok vocational school students having a go at each other regularly. But yet they decide the problem exists nationwide whereas I've never heard of that problem in CM or other provinces.

They have targeted the vocational schools in Bangkok in the past using a variety of sticks and if they actually wield those sticks as promised this issue may not be here.

My friend has a bar in Loi Kroh Rd.

He was told yesterday by the military they had till the 19th of next month then its over and done with alcohol sales.

I set a reminder for the 20th to reply to this, and post some pictures of the inevitable ghost town that will be the LK/Thapae area.

Most of the bars are rented/leased from their landlord. Could they not relocate to the bar-beer centre area? Chiang Moi is starting to develop from the Mike burgers end. I imagine a lot of units for rent down there.

Archived