New alcohol rules and CM bars

daoyai

My friend has a bar in Loi Kroh Rd.

He was told yesterday by the military they had till the 19th of next month then its over and done with alcohol sales.

He didn't mention the bar name, but a friend has posted a copy of a notice given to a bar on Moon Muang soi 2. The affected bars on Loi kroh/ Moon Muang will all be places that you would almost certainly never see a vocational student in, so what is the point?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked on Google thinking Srithana Tech College on Huay Kaew would knock out many popular venues in a 300 meter radius. Chiangmai Rajabhat University takes out Viangbua Plaza where my friends place is, and on and on, wow.

A Huge swath of land from Buenreang Rit rd./Maharaj Nakorn Hospital to the Zoo appears on Google maps as CMU property.

An unworkable policy that would be impossible to implement even in a situation of complete administrative transparency and zero executive corruption.

Unfortunately soon to be used as a cudgel, of whimsical selective enforcement and extortion. Hopefully a future administration will learn from economic disruptions and injustices to follow and propose a consistent and sensible nationwide alcohol policy. Perhaps looking to other countries that have had more success with accident prevention and harm reduction.

Isn't there a large nightlife area on Huay Keaw near the university? Parts of Nimmenhimmen area?

Similarly, behind Big C extra, near Payap. Places that are actually full of students.

and only 220 meters from the schools.

Is this inside information or an educated guess?

This information I have on good authority.

At first they took away the good stuff and left the farang adults entertainment scene with the crap, and now they`re even taking the crap away.

He was told yesterday by the military they had till the 19th of next month then its over and done with alcohol sales.

I TOLD YOU SO . This national and and NOT Chiang Mai specific.whistling.gif

Unfortunately it seems that these kinds of nonsense edicts are enforced much more strictly in Chiang Mai than in the rest of Thailand.

Has it occurred to the idiots pushing this rule that if they close drinking establishments close to schools that the students who want to drink will drive to and from bars outside the exclusion zone? As bad as the roads are now, imagine what they'll be like when more young people who are inexperienced drinkers and drivers are on the road while drunk.

I TOLD YOU SO . This national and and NOT Chiang Mai specific.whistling.gif

Unfortunately it seems that these kinds of nonsense edicts are enforced much more strictly in Chiang Mai than in the rest of Thailand.

Has it occurred to the idiots pushing this rule that if they close drinking establishments close to schools that the students who want to drink will drive to and from bars outside the exclusion zone? As bad as the roads are now, imagine what they'll be like when more young people who are inexperienced drinkers and drivers are on the road while drunk.

Coming to Chiang Mai to march down Loi Kroh in celebration.

At first they took away the good stuff and left the farang adults entertainment scene with the crap, and now they`re even taking the crap away.

One man's crap is another man's happiness. wink.png

I haven't been on Moon Muang or Loi Kroh in years. Took a Google street view walk about around John's place and see it is a shadow of its former self.

Chiang Mai Technological College. 18.783303227, 98.9932208746

Actually the one you are listing is the Chiang Mai Commercial Technological College. The Chiang Mai Technical College is North just inside the NW corner of the moat.

A couple of maps I did showing the area effected at both. First one the Commercial Technological College, the 2nd the Technological College.

attachicon.gifCM Commercial Technical College.jpg

attachicon.gifCM Technical College.jpg

There goes all the bars in soi 1 and soi 2 Moon Muang. Tiger Kingdom and Mad Dog will be dry. Only John's Place looks like it has escaped by a nano metre.

This could be considered as 'cruel and unusual punishment'. Think of all the poor old curmudgeons that will be displaced when their favourite watering holes are closed to protect the feckless youth of Chiang Mai. They will be like ghost ships sailing up and down the sois in seach of their lost ports.

Better, I say, they change the edict to read that all colleges and schools within 300 metres of a bar or liquor outlet must be closed during drinking hours. After all, most of the little darlings, unlike the curmudgeonly drinkers, are only wasting their time there.

Of course there is one other recourse and that is to get rid of that other 'Mad Dog' who is promulgating these edicts.

Pray, do let us know if you are paid a visit by the new Attitude Adjustment Department investigators.

One man's crap is another man's happiness. wink.png

I haven't been on Moon Muang or Loi Kroh in years. Took a Google street view walk about around John's place and see it is a shadow of its former self.

I don`t know how far back you go in Chiang Mai, Tywais? But although I do quite often mock the Loi Kroh Road and the adults entertainment scene of Chiang Mai for what is has become, I am actually saddened by it`s decline.

Have many fond memories of the Chiang Mai ex-pat scene, back in the days when we knew everyone by name and there was never a dull moment. Think I was lucky to have experienced those times.

Have many fond memories of the Chiang Mai ex-pat scene, back in the days when we knew everyone by name and there was never a dull moment. Think I was lucky to have experienced those times.

Me too!

(And: We agree on something! wink.png )

Dull moments remain pretty rare for me today, though.

I don`t know how far back you go in Chiang Mai, Tywais? But although I do quite often mock the Loi Kroh Road and the adults entertainment scene of Chiang Mai for what is has become, I am actually saddened by it`s decline.

First started coming to Chiang Mai in the mid '80s when Black Cat and Dominoes were still running. Moved here in '93 and took up John's place as my 2nd home. Cozy Corner then when he took over the Black Cat building migrated over to there as a regular (had VIP card #2 given to me by Somchai). smile.png Then when Up2You opened up then True Blue took over the Dominoes location, shifted back and forth between them and John's place and was a member of the darts league. That was for about 3-4 years. Didn't really do Loi Kroh except when friends wanted to venture out. Then Spotlight as a regular for about a year.

I agree, definitely fond memories and lot of friendships kindled. Getting a bit nostalgic talking about it now. biggrin.png

//edit - speaking of nostalgia - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634106-the-black-cat-bar-what-happened-to-it/

They're killing Thailand slowly.

Well they are trying........Thailand,most of the country in drought, farmers in desperate plight,highest ever household debt ,insurgency still chaotic in the south , a declining baht,no education reform. All being guided along by incompentency by the power brokers. It has all the attributes to turn the country into a total basket case. The irony is the emphasis they,the junta, put on reform through issues like media censorship and new alcohol rules ,Is that really a priority ? If it is, yes they are killing Thailand.

I have been living here in Thailand for more than 27 years. Knowing the Thai mentality and how laws and regulations get reversed or ignored soon enough. I think this is a golden opportunity for someone that is inclined to buy a bar, to find one right now for dirt cheap!

First started coming to Chiang Mai in the mid '80s when Black Cat and Dominoes were still running. Moved here in '93 and took up John's place as my 2nd home. Cozy Corner then when he took over the Black Cat building migrated over to there as a regular (had VIP card #2 given to me by Somchai). smile.png Then when Up2You opened up then True Blue took over the Dominoes location, shifted back and forth between them and John's place and was a member of the darts league. That was for about 3-4 years. Didn't really do Loi Kroh except when friends wanted to venture out. Then Spotlight as a regular for about a year.

I agree, definitely fond memories and lot of friendships kindled. Getting a bit nostalgic talking about it now. biggrin.png

//edit - speaking of nostalgia - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634106-the-black-cat-bar-what-happened-to-it/

When I wasn`t working away abroad and returned back to Chiang Mai, I was a frequent visitor to Black Cat, John`s Place and especially the Spotlight. You probably remember the owners, Bob Crabtree and Hoss. I believe Hoss is still running the Spotlight. Bob was football crazy and always good for a laugh. Do you remember the Paradise Bar? That too was owned by Bob and Hoss and the Wild Orchid. I dare say you was a naughty boy like me and on occasions sneaked off to the bored housewives club during the day.

I remember the last time, some years ago, I decided to visit John`s Place and to my horror it had changed beyond all reconnection. They had knocked the front down and most of the girls were replaced by ladyboys. Never ventured in there again after that.

You and I must have shared some drinks in the same places, probably at the same times. Shame we never actually met, we may have been long term mates by now.

It is nice to bring back old memories and some of the wonderful characters I was lucky enough to had met and known during those times. I could fill up 4 threads with all my stories.

Looks like things just got worse. sad.png

BANGKOK: All sales of alcohol near schools nationwide, without exemption or exception, were banned yesterday under a vaguely worded order from the military government

"The law includes no language defining how near is “near.” The law includes all schools, not just high schools and universities. The law includes no exceptions or exemptions. The law went into immediate effect. Yesterday."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843099-surprise-new-thailand-booze-ban-now-in-effect/

When I wasn`t working away abroad and returned back to Chiang Mai, I was a frequent visitor to Black Cat, John`s Place and especially the Spotlight. You probably remember the owners, Bob Crabtree and Hoss. I believe Hoss is still running the Spotlight. Bob was football crazy and always good for a laugh. Do you remember the Paradise Bar? That too was owned by Bob and Hoss and the Wild Orchid. I dare say you was a naughty boy like me and on occasions sneaked off to the bored housewives club during the day.

I remember the last time, some years ago, I decided to visit John`s Place and to my horror it had changed beyond all reconnection. They had knocked the front down and most of the girls were replaced by ladyboys. Never ventured in there again after that.

You and I must have shared some drinks in the same places, probably at the same times. Shame we never actually met, we may have been long term mates by now.

It is nice to bring back old memories and some of the wonderful characters I was lucky enough to had met and known during those times. I could fill up 4 threads with all my stories.

Visited Spotlight every couple of months over the last 10 years, just to make sure it still sucked.

The last two visits though were quite agreeable.. Possibly due to more visitors (from China and elsewhere) there is now more going on again.

Also didn't see Horst on both visits; maybe he finally retired.

BANGKOK: All sales of alcohol near schools nationwide, without exemption or exception, were banned yesterday under a vaguely worded order from the military government

"The law includes no language defining how near is “near.” The law includes all schools, not just high schools and universities. The law includes no exceptions or exemptions. The law went into immediate effect. Yesterday."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843099-surprise-new-thailand-booze-ban-now-in-effect/

That probably means that the Zoe Yellow area is also out as it's really close to Yupparaj College.

Interesting times. smile.png

(Not actually kidding; they're taking on a LOT of business interests, also CP (7-11). It's kind of hard to pick a bigger target.)

Although.. a lot of Thai legislation gets pulled (or indefinitely suspended) within a week, with some lame face-saving statement claiming that all the media understood it wrong. rolleyes.gif

Clowns pretending to run the circus.. (y)

I can see it now. When you two were in your hay days. The old timers sitting around reminiscing about the good old days. Only they didn't have technology. They did it face to face. I do find it interesting that all you can recollect is bars.

I do find it interesting that all you can recollect is bars.

Ah, but this topic is on alcohol rules so talking bars is fitting. If it was on temples than we would discuss temples we've visited, right? tongue.png

good morning tywais

cobber ,would private international schools for example PREM INTERNATIONAL. be under this crazy new law???

a beautiful morning to all

Well, on face value Stevens, "ALL SCHOOLS" would surely include each and every type of educational institution. Including Yoga schools, private language schools, diving schools, etc.

Seems apparent the military governors are executing their power to make trouble without consequence.

Watch as the 'exemptions' come in fast and furious.

Archived