Looking for a live in helper in Chiang Mai

Chungdie777

Hi, I'm sure this topic has risen before but I'm just too lazy to retrieve all the posts. My family will be moving to Chiang Mai this November, just wondering if anyone of you know of any maid agency in Chiang Mai which I can engage? I tried to find on google but unable to get one sad.png

● Wonderful Family Required - Wanted: wonderful Family for a fantastic persons employ. Gate has 20 years of various house help experience...six different nationalities that I know of. She prefers half days, mainly cleaning and can teach you Thai. She loves babies too. She has worked for us 9 years already, but we are moving. sad.png We trust her completely and want only wonderful future employers. If you need a part time helper and qualify as wonderful: <removed as per forum rules, PM member for info>

Edited by Tywais
E-mail/phone removed

We have never found an agency which is of any value. We have tried advertising also, but unsuccessfully---we got replies, but no one we wanted to hire. Finding a live in helper is more difficult than someone who works and goes home at night. We have always found live in staff by personal contact. For example, if your friend has a good employee, then ask that employee if they have a friend who is looking for similar work etc. Most available staff are Burmese. I assume someone in your family is Thai. This is important because my understanding is that foreigners cannot legally hire Burmese workers. Good luck!

Some years ago my wife and I decided to hire a live in lady housekeeper, mainly for reasons so my wife could be away from our home for periods to care for her ailing father. Offering good wages, 10000 baht per month plus food, use of computer, days off etc. The job involved some light house cleaning, some cooking and looking after the home and our pets if we were going to be away for short periods.

We advertised in the job centre at Mai Rim Chiang Mai and in a Chiang Mai local Thai newspaper. My wife was receiving scores of phone calls per day as a result of the ads.

Girls and women from ages 14 to 70 were phoning for the job, plus ladyboys, gays, and guys offering girls they have on their lists from 12 to 30. Also women asking if they could bring their children, mother’s and siblings. When my wife told them they would be working for me then the situation changed. Many were asking from 20000 baht up to 40000 baht per month for live in. The younger the women, the higher the wages. None of them had any doable checkable backgrounds or references.

Some of them were actually bar girls looking for alternative work because business was down in the bars. Others were from poor backgrounds encouraged by their parents, husbands or boyfriends to apply for the job, plus educated girls from middleclass families seeking any farang to support them in a lifestyle they are used to. Most only interested in short time work, although I made it understood I required someone here long term. It was a ploy to get a lot of money quickly from some gullible farang.

After interviewing many, we took on 5 women consecutively. All tried it on for money, the, my mother has had a motorbike accident, sick buffalo etc and when It became clear that I was not falling for this, they soon became bored. Some left on their own accord, others I had to throw out. One was very scary, she actually held a knife up to me and kept nagging for money, although she had already been paid her wages up to the time I wanted her to go. In the end I had to give her an extra 3000 baht so as to make her leave peacefully.
Also worth keeping in mind: I was advised by my son, who is a lawyer, that there is a scam in which some girls who have police contacts, could say that the farang touched them inappropriately and threaten to report this to the police unless a lot of money changes hands, plus some have diseases such as AIDs and TB.

Consider well before deciding to take on one of these women, and try to ensure they are well recommended and have some sort of references, which I found virtually impossible.
Of course we are going to hear of some success stories, but at these times of economic hardships, taking a complete stranger into the home is a dangerous practise, especially if it involves caring for young children or pets or leaving them in charge of the household if you are away.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I too have been having problems with my live in helper. About a year ago some Thai friends in Bangkok asked if I could help their 19 year old daughter, see is studying law at CMU and wanted to save on accommodation fees. She has been with me a year now cleaning, cooking and generally looking after the house but the situation is getting silly and she has to go. She has long dark hair down to her waist and is incredibly beautiful, She cleans the house in micro skirts and 6 inch high heels

and thinks it funny to bend over in front of me to pick things up off the floor. Over the last 6 months or so she has taken to leaving the bathroom door unlocked and telling me not to worry if I walk in on her when she is in the shower, she has even taken to hanging her impossibly small underwear to dry over the bath. The last straw has been that she is experimenting with her sexuality and now has a girlfriend from the university who often stays over, several times I have walked in on them on the sofa in the sitting room but they carry on as if I am not there. Obviously she has to go but how can I do it without upsetting her parents?

I too have been having problems with my live in helper. About a year ago some Thai friends in Bangkok asked if I could help their 19 year old daughter, see is studying law at CMU and wanted to save on accommodation fees. She has been with me a year now cleaning, cooking and generally looking after the house but the situation is getting silly and she has to go. She has long dark hair down to her waist and is incredibly beautiful, She cleans the house in micro skirts and 6 inch high heels

and thinks it funny to bend over in front of me to pick things up off the floor. Over the last 6 months or so she has taken to leaving the bathroom door unlocked and telling me not to worry if I walk in on her when she is in the shower, she has even taken to hanging her impossibly small underwear to dry over the bath. The last straw has been that she is experimenting with her sexuality and now has a girlfriend from the university who often stays over, several times I have walked in on them on the sofa in the sitting room but they carry on as if I am not there. Obviously she has to go but how can I do it without upsetting her parents?

Must be a terrible situation to be in,I feel for ya.

My advice is, cut down on those hallucinatory green tablets.

She can stay at my place in CM, plenty of room for her and her girlfriend... whistling.gif

Some years ago my wife and I decided to hire a live in lady housekeeper....

this exact text was copied and and pasted from another post years ago, from another member (or maybe the same member under another username)???

IF OP lived in Hong Kong or S'pore the situation would be VERY different. In those places live-in maids are common and half the local population has a maid. But all maids are from Phil Islands, Indonesia, few from Nepal and if mess up are tossed out of territory. And if a maid, must live in (HK for sure).

this exact text was copied and and pasted from another post years ago, from another member (or maybe the same member under another username)???

Yes, if was really so difficult to find a housekeeper and if all of them took advantage of their employers once they found out there was a foreigner in the household, then why is it the Chiang Mai Community Classifieds often has ads placed by very satisfied employers who are helping their housekeepers find additional employment?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHRLY3gUHs4xBGsUVlls-pnC4ofgODx-bkTN270g47I/pub#h.owtxxis6frsx

@ramrod711, I'm keen to explore if you dun mind sharing more info about your helper. My PM me at my email ([email protected])

Anyway, it seemed like it's impossible to get a live in helper. But if any of you have good part-timer to recommend, please feel free to share.

Thanks Guys.

I did forward the details in response to your PM, hope it worked out for you.

@ramrod711, I'm keen to explore if you dun mind sharing more info about your helper. My PM me at my email ([email protected])

Anyway, it seemed like it's impossible to get a live in helper. But if any of you have good part-timer to recommend, please feel free to share.

Thanks Guys.

Hi @ramrod711, did not receive your PM if you have sent. Can you resend to me?

Yes, if was really so difficult to find a housekeeper and if all of them took advantage of their employers once they found out there was a foreigner in the household, then why is it the Chiang Mai Community Classifieds often has ads placed by very satisfied employers who are helping their housekeepers find additional employment?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHRLY3gUHs4xBGsUVlls-pnC4ofgODx-bkTN270g47I/pub#h.owtxxis6frsx

We have always had live in help and have never had any of them take advantage because I am a foreigner. However, it is difficult to find good live in staff---much more difficult than live out staff. Both of the ads that you refer to Nancy are for live out staff, not live in.

We have always had live in help and have never had any of them take advantage because I am a foreigner. However, it is difficult to find good live in staff---much more difficult than live out staff. Both of the ads that you refer to Nancy are for live out staff, not live in.

Hi @neilrob, do you have anyone to recommened? Perhaps your current helper can recommend someone good?

I can ask. However, two questions first. Do you speak Thai? She (and I'm sure her friends) do not speak any English. Is someone in your family Thai? She is Burmese and my understanding is that only Thais can employ Burmese housekeepers.

I can ask. However, two questions first. Do you speak Thai? She (and I'm sure her friends) do not speak any English. Is someone in your family Thai? She is Burmese and my understanding is that only Thais can employ Burmese housekeepers.

Unfortunately I can't speak Thai. However, my sister in law and her bf speak Thai. Her bf is a thai, so don't think will have an issue to apply for one. :)

Thanks Guys.

Hi @ramrod711, did not receive your PM if you have sent. Can you resend to me?

Nancy L included a link to the CCCC ads, all the contact details are there in the work wanted section. It's a good site, new ads should be out July 29.