Thai Commerce Min to continue palm oil price intervention scheme

webfact

Well, geez, Bob, you have regular revues and if the policy is costing too much, you cancel it. If Yingluk had done that she wouldn't be facing negligence charges.

You might even ask an economist or six if the policy makes logical sense and whether the market slump is likely to be temporary, prolonged or permanent, ask a few accountants about the estimated cost over each scenario, and adjust policy to suit. That beats the crap out of some megalomaniac gambling with public money with the sure knowledge that he will benefit by getting his proxy elected.

Ask an economist or six if it makes sense and they probably will all indicate that the government should not buy and stockpile commodities for this purpose.

Would they advocate allowing a viable industry to collapse or some form of intervention? How would allowing product to rot and mills to shut down give a higher benefit than stockpiling for a product with a reasonable long shelf life? why would there be a permanent collapse of market for a product with so many varied uses?

You are getting very boring.

Translation: You aren't agreeing with me, which I couldn't quite understand. Since I support Prayuth and am therefore a good man who cannot be wrong, you must be thick. Pay more attention. I thought everyone knew that...

Would they advocate allowing a viable industry to collapse or some form of intervention?

Translation: Even businesses that cannot survive a temporary slump are perfectly viable. If they support the right people.

Sorry, I couldn't translate the rest, it didn't quite make any sense. You know you've been in Thailand too long when <fill in your own criterion>.

You are always boring. If you followed the conversation, Bob and I were in agreement that market intervention is warranted, and only differed on the form.

However it appears you find it necessary to criticise every action of the junta simply because of who they are.

Are you suggesting rice farmers shouldn't get assistance from what is a temporary problem, even if they support the wrong people?

I know I've been in Thailand too long when I start replying to morons.

BTW Glad you liked the typo, spell checkers aren't always the answer.

I am not in favour of market interventuon for palm oil, but if the government decides to intervene they should pick the best method to do it.

What cost/benefit analysis?

Basic economics and an understanding of the demand/supply curve which is similar for most (agricultural) products

Who says that they haven't picked the best intervention method? That is, besides you?

Treating palm oil as a normal agricultural product doesn't inspire confidence, as it has multiple uses and extended shelf life. The elasticity curve for it as a food is very different to that as a fuel.

I dont want to bore you further, so maybe you can read up a bit how different government intervention methods influence the demand and supply curves.

All your questions are covered in basic economic textbooks on this subject.

But only you have declared it uneconomic, right?

A government buying up commodities impacts both the supply AND demand curve thereby distorting the market even more which increases the deadweight loss (loss of economic efficiency).

It is therefore more uneconomic than the earlier mentioned alternative.

A government buying up commodities impacts both the supply AND demand curve thereby distorting the market even more which increases the deadweight loss (loss of economic efficiency).

Bob, I really don't care that you disagree with me. Until you can find someone with better economic credentials than either of us who has expressed an opinion, I will maintain my position and you yours.

Bob, I really don't care that you disagree with me. Until you can find someone with better economic credentials than either of us who has expressed an opinion, I will maintain my position and you yours.

Better economic credential as, for example, about any economist who has written a text book about the effects of government intervention on the demand and supply curve in the past 25 years?

Again, read up on the subject and see what about the entire economic community agrees on.

Over and out

An off topic post has been removed as well as the replies. Another post in which the reply was within the quoted post has been removed as well as a reply. Please ensure when posting, the reply is outside the quoted content.