Why this cynicism against Thailand?

drronnie

The biggest problem with Thailand is you're seen as a walking ATM from bar girls to banks to those who change a tire and to those who sell street side bbq.

10 baht for thai, 30 baht for farang.

Go out alone, drink a beer, you're called a cheap charlie.

Go out with thais, and you're expected to pay for everything.. you're the farang.

Try explaining splitting the check and they say I no like you.

The biggest problem is hoops of immigration. Every respectable country, even developing countries such as Philippines, Singapore have residency programs where if you qualify, you can stay for ever. Thailand's priviledge gives you a 1 year visa at the most.

It's also the reason Thai's in the USA feel more at home in USA than in Thailand. I've heard it myself, do you want to go back to Thailand? Why? I happy here. I get food stamp, obamacare, free phone, free make room hot. Only farang like go for cheap sex. Up to them. I stay here. I want my family come here.

And then it hits you: More truer words were seldom spoken.

That's only a problem if you hang out with bar girls. It's not actually compulsory.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem with Thailand is you're seen as a walking ATM from bar girls to banks to those who change a tire and to those who sell street side bbq.

Go out with thais, and you're expected to pay for everything.. you're the farang.

The biggest problem is hoops of immigration. Every respectable country, even developing countries such as Philippines, Singapore have residency programs where if you qualify, you can stay for ever. Thailand's priviledge gives you a 1 year visa at the most.

It's also the reason Thai's in the USA feel more at home in USA than in Thailand. I've heard it myself, do you want to go back to Thailand? Why? I happy here. I get food stamp, obamacare, free phone, free make room hot. Only farang like go for cheap sex. Up to them. I stay here. I want my family come here.

It's kind of understandable for price differentiation for Westerners, you could call it market segmentationsmile.png

On a more serious note Thais I know in Oz generally prefer to live here than Thailand 'cause of no corruption in their daily lives, reasonably fair government, good access to education for children to have a future, healthcare and cleanliness of the environment. Putting aside relationship issues, most of the issues why some ex-pats are cynical regards the lack of or high cost in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

That's only a problem if you hang out with bar girls. It's not actually compulsory.

Well...no, you're wrong. I've hung out with (and <deleted>) plenty of Thais who are not bar girls, and the "make the farang pay" attitude is quite widespread. And this is coming from someone who speaks Thai quite well, and has only interacted with Thais in Thai, from the moment I first landed at Don Meuang in 1999.

That said, this does NOT describe all Thais, at all...but it does describe a certain segment of the population. Can't say how big that segment is...but no denying it's there. I can see how those who don't speak any Thai (and if they've been there longer than 6 months and still can't speak, I figure they're pompous <deleted>) would get frustrated in their dealings with Thais...but for the most part I've had great experiences.

Many expats never liked Thailand in the first place - just the fact that they could pay women to pretend to like them.

Don't knock it, 'till you've tried it!

Luckily, my wife pretends to like me free of charge.

nothing free in Thailand matecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think the longer you stay here and get to know the people/culture, the more frustrating/annoying some things become, but on the other hand, you also learn to live with it, expect it and accept it.

I am British, we are not happy unless we are complaining, (or whining as our Oz friends would say).

Well...no, you're wrong. I've hung out with (and <deleted>) plenty of Thais who are not bar girls, and the "make the farang pay" attitude is quite widespread. And this is coming from someone who speaks Thai quite well, and has only interacted with Thais in Thai, from the moment I first landed at Don Meuang in 1999.

That said, this does NOT describe all Thais, at all...but it does describe a certain segment of the population. Can't say how big that segment is...but no denying it's there. I can see how those who don't speak any Thai (and if they've been there longer than 6 months and still can't speak, I figure they're pompous <deleted>) would get frustrated in their dealings with Thais...but for the most part I've had great experiences.

I agree that it is only a certain segment, but I'd say the "make the farang pay" isn't as widespread in Northern Thailand than the south. I hardly see it.

Anyone not fluent in Thai within 6 months is a "pompus<deleted>"

Seriously? Are you really expecting fluency in 6 months?

Stay in Thailand forever....

After I ordained in Thailand as a Theravada Buddhist Monk, the Thai people were very respectful and generous to me for many years. MORE generous to me (Phra Farang) than to my Thai colleague Monks. Some of them got overwhelmed by jealousy, one of the minor reasons to disrobe.

Since then I'm still treated with respect and I'm charged the same as all Thai people, get freebies as well.

Must admit that Pattaya, Phuket and the likes are not my turf.

My home is in Thailand since 1997 and got yearly extensions of stay since 1999.

Never had intention to go back to my birth country, on the contrary I will stay until after my cremation.

With my pension I will be a poor man in Europe. Here I'm happy to spent all for having a decent family life with my Thai wife and son.

My 33 years younger wife was introduced to me by a befriended Monk six years ago. Hard working woman betrayed/robbed by her ex.

Sin sod for show we spent for building a house, as I designed (14 pillars, two floors, redwood and Cpac), on three rai of land, most of it as a gift from the family.

Two classic motorbikes. A 4doors truck new since two years.

3BB internet for family and friends.

Could never afford all of this hadn't I left from Europe. Then with all I had, a lump sum equivalent of 15.000,- Euro and invitation of a beautiful Thai girlfriend high educated with excellent job.

The rest is history, thank you Thailand (and good karma).

Ah, just stopped raining.

The wife wants driving lessons, the son has homework, the dog begs for a walk and then the garden always waiting for more treats...

Oh, must replace sprockets at the dirt bike, the road bike has ignition issues, the windows need a varnish...

And more...

That's life, no time to die...

Enjoy your time, goodbye.

Edited by Khunangkaro

I agree that it is only a certain segment, but I'd say the "make the farang pay" isn't as widespread in Northern Thailand than the south. I hardly see it.

Anyone not fluent in Thai within 6 months is a "pompus<deleted>"

Seriously? Are you really expecting fluency in 6 months?

Id say its even more widespread ooop north, Issan villages

Edited by kannot

Jealous of what?

Other peoples happiness, considering you spend a lot of time on here saying they cant possibly be.

I've said nothing of the sort.

I've no reason to be jealous of anyone's happiness - I've plenty of my own.

my experience is very far removed from yours. i cant imagine what we are doing differently.

Edited by HooHaa

They're just grumpy old men and would be equally as grumpy wherever they were in the world.

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Old guys and fallen angels yup they need us as much as we need them.wink.png

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

From Websters Dictionary

Bragging: to Speak of One's own achievements, possessions, etc. arrogantly and boastfully void of any facts or evidence

The fact that you couldn't make it in your own country and moved to Thailand is the exact same thing you denounce of others moving the other way.

Who exactly was the common denominator in the 3 marriages that flopped?

I guess in all your experience you never saw an old man getting ripped off by an angel in Thailand either?

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

From Websters Dictionary

Bragging: to Speak of One's own achievements, possessions, etc. arrogantly and boastfully void of any facts or evidence

The fact that you couldn't make it in your own country and moved to Thailand is the exact same thing you denounce of others moving the other way.

I guess in all your experience you never saw an old man getting ripped off by an angel in Thailand either?

If you want to read a bragging thread I'd refer you to "http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842816-decisions-made-for-returning-to-the-usa/#entry9654201"

I made it in the USA and as a result of that could afford to retire in Thailand and live a much better life than I could back in the old country.

The common denominator in my three failed marriages was booze. I stopped drinking in Thailand because I didn't need to get drunk - my life was good enough to enjoy sober.

I've seen old men getting ripped off everywhere - much less in Thailand. The 93 year old bag boys at Publix (grocery store in Florida) I'll admit don't get ripped off much by gorgeous 20 year old go go dancers.cheesy.gif

post-232807-0-94435900-1438345100_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

From Websters Dictionary

If you want to read a bragging thread I'd refer you to "http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842816-decisions-made-for-returning-to-the-usa/#entry9654201"

I made it in the USA and as a result of that could afford to retire in Thailand and live a much better life than I could back in the old country.

The common denominator in my three failed marriages was booze. I stopped drinking in Thailand because I didn't need to get drunk - my life was good enough to enjoy sober.

I've seen old men getting ripped off everywhere - much less in Thailand. The 93 year old bag boys at Publix (grocery store in Florida) I'll admit don't get ripped off much by gorgeous 20 year old go go dancers.cheesy.gif

By your own facts you owned and sold 6 houses and 3 corporations in Florida, yet you worked long enough to build up a pension and health insurance?

You only managed to save 5,000,000 baht your entire working life? With the sale of 6 houses and 3 sold corporations?

Booze doomed 3 of your marriages and I guess because you are so well off now (these are your own claims in previous posts) and own a couple of houses, a couple of crash pads and a Honda Click in Thailand that you probably didn't pay your ex wives alimony and instead ran off to Thailand? Instead spending your money paying for girls.

PS Please tell us how an un-married Farang from the USA owns a few houses/land and crash pads in Thailand?

From Websters Dictionary

By your own facts you owned and sold 6 houses and 3 corporations in Florida, yet you worked long enough to build up a pension and health insurance?

You only managed to save 5,000,000 baht your entire working life? With the sale of 6 houses and 3 sold corporations?

Booze doomed 3 of your marriages and I guess because you are so well off now (these are your own claims in previous posts) and own a couple of houses, a couple of crash pads and a Honda Click in Thailand that you probably didn't pay your ex wives alimony and instead ran off to Thailand? Instead spending your money paying for girls.

PS Please tell us how an un-married Farang from the USA owns a few houses/land and crash pads in Thailand?

Where did I say I only saved 5 million baht? Why would I pay my ex wives alimony? Where did I say I owned houses/land and a crash pad in Thailand?

I am a firm believer in renting in Thailand. Maybe I have another 10 or 20 years left why would I buy anything?

I'm not trying to convince you to move to Thailand. I think young guys should not move to Thailand it only leads to pain.

I don't work the Thai chamber of commerce. There is good and bad here. For a young guy nothing but problems for an old guy nothing but pleasure.

I guess I have failed in my attempt to tell you that many of us have succeeded in the West and retired in Thailand. I could have stayed in Florida and rotted like the old folks I saw living there or come to Thailand and started a new adventurous existence. It is worthy of note that I don't post on a Florida web site to tell people there how brilliant my life is in Thailand. clap2.gif

From Websters Dictionary

Where did I say I only saved 5 million baht? Why would I pay my ex wives alimony? Where did I say I owned houses/land and a crash pad in Thailand?

I am a firm believer in renting in Thailand. Maybe I have another 10 or 20 years left why would I buy anything?

I'm not trying to convince you to move to Thailand. I think young guys should not move to Thailand it only leads to pain.

I don't work the Thai chamber of commerce. There is good and bad here. For a young guy nothing but problems for an old guy nothing but pleasure.

I guess I have failed in my attempt to tell you that many of us have succeeded in the West and retired in Thailand. I could have stayed in Florida and rotted like the old folks I saw living there or come to Thailand and started a new adventurous existence. It is worthy of note that I don't post on a Florida web site to tell people there how brilliant my life is in Thailand. clap2.gif

You can be young and succeed here..always been a place for younger people.

Personally having moved here since my 20's (30+ years ago) never thought of Thailand as a place for old men..it is now..many struggle.." Can't teach an old dog new tricks " comes to mind.

and the "make the farang pay" attitude is quite widespread. And this is coming from someone who speaks Thai quite well,

You should use the term, "American share" at the very start, soon sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

When you are fed up with Western world dogmas and you discover the anathema Thailand you think you found the real place to live your life, until 10 years later you realise Thailand is a lie.

Then cynicism comes in at hand.

Edited by tartempion

When you are fed up with Western world dogmas and you discover the anathema Thailand you think you found the real place to live your life, until 10 years later you realise Thailand is a lie.

Then cynicism comes in at hand.

Only if you were stupid enough to mistake a holiday destination for your future home.

Some of us were more realistic about Thailand in the first place.