Where exactly do we stand in the Thai social scale - Buffalo

connda

My immediate family drove up to our house: younger sister, her oldest daughter, and her youngest son.

My wife says, "Come out and say hello."

So I come out, walk up to them, look at each of them in the eye: No one will even make eye contact with me. The youngest son yammers with himself; The oldest daughter won't even look in my direction, too busy picking buger out of her nose; and my wife and her sister are too busily engaged in "CONVERSATION" to even notice that I'm standing two feet from them attempting to say hello and acknowledge their visit.

I stand, I stand, I'm ignored. And then internally I finally say, "<deleted> it!" Also I'm thinking two things:

Number 1. Is this just because I'm a farang, an outsider, someone with status in Thailand between a Cow and Dog; or us this
Number 2. Thai culture degenerating to the point where younger people no longer respect elders.

Now. In my own view, I probably have the status of a Buffalo, which is ironic because I believe that the Thai Buffalo is one of the most important animals in Thailand, and probably one most worthy of immense respect. The average Thai will never understand that: just a f**king Buffalo.

I'm tired of the disrespect. I'm tired of being treated like a farm animal.

For my American and other "Farang" friends, Thai immigration now has moved to a smaller office. Folks who are 60,70, 80 or older are forced to stand outside in the sun. Right now, today, we had a nice balmy 82. Six weeks ago it was in the 100s. And we are suppose to stand outside, very few chairs are provided, and from a Thai forum that I subscribe to, the comment was made that after the foreigner were pushed outside, the smell was much better inside the office. That's what we deal with.

I personally believe that most consider me to be simply on the same status of Buffalo. I have supported my family with an income in excess of multiples of what Thais make, and I've spent a majority of my retirement funds taking care of my family.

And what is my equal here in Prateat Thai? A water buffalo. If you think I'm kidding, at the new Chiang Mai immigration offices, foreigners are forced outside to sit along side a corral of sheep and goats. Yep! That's the respect we have here in Thailand. Anyone who thinks I'm kidding just go the the Chiang Mai forum on this issue. NancyL did a wonderful job outlining the facts.

And I'm not sure how much longer I want to put up with this, Buffalo Kee. My wife knows this too.

Oh, don't think I speak, read and write Thai. All this went out to my family in written Thai tonight. This last week in the country has pissed me off beyond repair.

And I won't even respond to comments. Most of you people don't have a clue.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a welcome relief to read, "And I won't even respond to comments. Most of you people don't have a clue." I liked that part the best.clap2.gif Although I don't believe it.

Edited by lostoday

if your wife had any respect for you this wouldn't happen. sounds like the cliche old retired farang who never integrated at all with a young poor wife/family in it for the moolah.

classic.

Does one really need to show respect to an ATM ?

I wince at how Westerners fail to anticipate the likelihood of situations like this developing when they decide to buy into a local family in return for shagging one of the younger female members.

The OP's not a buffalo; more of a cash cow laugh.png

Sorry, but being a farang doesn't guarantee respect anymore and it never should have in the first place

Since the locals got internet and social media - a hell of a lot more of them know exactly what old Western men marrying younger women are all about . . . thank God

Edited by Cypress Hill

They're probably just shy and will warm to you in time, if you give them the benefit of the doubt. Or they're rude and they won't. It pays to make a small effort at first, to see if it's reciprocated. If not, you know where you really stand.

I think half the problem is large numbers of Johnny bloody farang comes to Thailand and expect the natives to kow tow down in their presence

Normally soutpeel you miss the point of the OP entirely and this is no exeption

I think half the problem is large numbers of Johnny bloody farang comes to Thailand and expect the natives to kow tow down in their presence

Normally soutpeel you miss the point of the OP entirely and this is no exeption

Which is what dear boy ?..its the typical " i am a whitey and demand respect from the natives" rant been done plenty times on here

All the shizer that you clever dicks rant on about are irrlelevent to the OP He is calling it as he sees it doesn't

matter if he is a victim or not

He is whinging and ranting cos the natives will not kow tow down to him thats all

To the OP

To be brutally honest if you dont want responses that may be 180 Degrees from your point of view then maybe you shouldn't open a topic up in the first place on a public forum

But people like Sourpeel can be forgiven for completely missing the point of your post in the first place because it fits in a general way of knocking all Thai ladies and their families

But at the end of the day the problem is and has been caused by you yourself, if you allow yourself to be walked over then the typical population whether it is Thai or European will do exactly that so maybe you should acquire some testosterone and tell them all where to go and if your wife doesn't like it or doesn't stand bye you then maybe she should also go as well !

Funny, we had an unexpected visit from some of my wife's family tonight.

MIL, SIL, BIL, 1 Niece 20 years old, and children of a niece and nephew not present, ages 2, 6 and 7 years.

Everyone came upstairs to greet me.

MIL gave me a big hug...not easy for an older Thai woman to do.

Discussed school with my niece ( university student ) for almost an hour.( in English)

Spent almost another hour playing with the young children.

When it was time for them to leave...

Another big hug from MIL.

Handshakes and thank yous from the SIL and BIL.

A hug and thank you from the niece.

Kisses goodbye from the young children.

The problem may be you or the family you married into?

You think??

if your wife had any respect for you this wouldn't happen. sounds like the cliche old retired farang who never integrated at all with a young poor wife/family in it for the moolah.

classic.

Does one really need to show respect to an ATM ?

The last time I didnt show respect to an ATM it took swallowed my atm card!

MIL, SIL, BIL, 1 Niece 20 years old, and children of a niece and nephew not present, ages 2, 6 and 7 years.

Discussed school with my niece ( university student ) for almost an hour.( in English)

You think??

I couldn't agree more. I'm in the same situation. I get lots of respect & acknowledgement from my family & neighbors.

All the kids wave or wai when passing on their way to & from school. Love the life here in the village.

OP, just maybe it's YOU.

Some years ago I had a gf and all was ok.

One day her mother, sister with 5 kids came to visit.

I did not mind. In the morning her mother growled in my direction when I greeted her, sister addressed me as "you" and kids ate all my food.

By afternoon all were thrown out of my house including the GF.

Bottom line is, the signs were all there to start with OP, you just failed to act on it.

PS. Kids having no manners is direct result of their upbringing and your wife failing to pull them in line is good enough reason for you to dump her ass

You think??

Yeah, I don't get the OP at all. Your experiences are similar to mine....not so much kisses from kids, but always wais. Heck, even my elderly neighbour introduces me to her family members when they visit her, and they in turn are very friendly. And when my son came to visit, this old lady gave him a hug when he left....and they've been my neighbours for only a year and a half.

This is the Thailand that I know...land of smiles and friendly people.

I think people project their status, and status has a bearing on how they will react to you..

Kwai indeed! I can't say I have ever had even a hint of that.

I can only speak regarding my experience in the NORTH.

Treat them badly & you will get the appropriate result. Allow yourself to be treated like a doormat - similar.

There is somewhere in the middle - MUTUAL RESPECT. It takes both parties to get the optimal result.

Give it your best - inferior outcome. Trade-in or relocate.