Forum raises questions about legal boundaries on the Net

Lite Beer

Forum raises questions about legal boundaries on the Net
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE question of liability when it comes to comments online is still a contentious issue and many members of the public are not quite sure about what is legal or not when it comes to talking about the military junta or the monarchy, a symposium on Internet censorship was told.

The issue of the legal boundaries of freedom of expression on the Net has become more pertinent after the coup last year, which forced many opponents to express themselves in the virtual world, speakers at the Internet Good Governance and Freedom of Expression symposium concluded. The forum, on Thursday at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Communication Arts, was organised by half a dozen organisations, including the Thai Netizen Network.

According to the Freedom of Expression Documentation Centre, 37 of the 47 people accused or prosecuted for lese majeste offences since the May 2014 coup found themselves in trouble for comments they made on the Internet.

The centre warned that anyone expressing themselves on sensitive issues - be it a comment critical of the monarchy or the military-backed government - risks being prosecuted.

Using a pseudonym won't help either, warned speaker Anond Chavalawan, who represents a group called Internet Dialogue on Law Reform.

However, many speakers brought up the contentious issue of how can one be sure that the person thought to have posted a defamatory comment on the Net is really the offender and that their account has not been hacked or another account created in their name.

Thanatorn Thananond, a member of the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights, cited a case in which a person was detained for 84 days before the authorities found out that the Facebook account this person being prosecuted for had been created by someone else.

The forum also debated whether clicking "Like" on a Facebook posting might violate the Computer Crimes Act, and whether it equals a violation of the lese majeste law. There was no consensus on this matter despite an earlier police warning saying both violations were equal crimes.

Another issue debated was whether spying on private conversations on applications such as Line to prosecute people on lese majeste charges was an infringement of privacy.

There was no consensus beyond the fact that online legal liability was still a new frontier, as many social media users are still unsure about what is permissible despite the growing crackdown.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Forum-raises-questions-about-legal-boundaries-on-t-30265227.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-26

"The forum also debated whether clicking "Like" on a Facebook posting might violate the Computer Crimes Act, and whether it equals a violation of the lese majeste law. There was no consensus on this matter despite an earlier police warning saying both violations were equal crimes."

Beyond belief. ph34r.png

"Another issue debated was whether spying on private conversations on applications such as Line to prosecute people on lese majeste charges was an infringement of privacy."

A debate?

How long do you need to say "yes it is"?

I just hope that they don't start trying to interpret foreigners speaking about sensitive issues like the Junta or the monarchy. Surely Thais do not comprehend sarcasm and jokes nor do they understand criticism is not talking bad about someone or something.

"Another issue debated was whether spying on private conversations on applications such as Line to prosecute people on lese majeste charges was an infringement of privacy."

A debate?

How long do you need to say "yes it is"?

Just a thought but in the crazy world of Thai, make it up as you go, legal system is suggesting it's wrong to snoop in order to prosecute lese majeste cases not in itself a like offence ?

I just hope that they don't start trying to interpret foreigners speaking about sensitive issues like the Junta or the monarchy. Surely Thais do not comprehend sarcasm and jokes nor do they understand criticism is not talking bad about someone or something.

"I just hope that they don't start trying to interpret foreigners speaking about sensitive issues like the Junta or the monarchy."

Start?

You do not think posts on this forum are monitored?

Good luck to you!

" Surely Thais do not comprehend sarcasm and jokes nor do they understand criticism is not talking bad about someone or something."

​You do not understand the concept of "face" in Thailand , do you?

By the way..... Interpret as what??

​A complete sentence is a complete thought.

Good post!

TV is checked on a daily basis, sometime more,

Edited by chainarong

"The forum also debated whether clicking "Like" on a Facebook posting might violate the Computer Crimes Act, and whether it equals a violation of the lese majeste law. There was no consensus on this matter despite an earlier police warning saying both violations were equal crimes."

Beyond belief. ph34r.png

US courts have decided it is....

TV is checked on a daily basis, sometime more,

Yeah and?

Yes, 'they' do dry.png

Sounds like Nazism.

I'd rather call it China-ism

With a splash of north Koreaism

Incorrect, it is Thainess, at it's best. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

another minor correction..... that is Thainess with influential Chinese hi-so arrogance brainwashed INTO the once natural, original Siam/Thai people.....

If they did begin to monitor what was being said about the Junta on this forum there would be some very worried members out there. Even though there is a forum rule regarding making comments detrimental to the Junta some of the comments made are quite critical, and over the top.

Thais do see "criticism" as talking bad about someone or something. And they do not understand sarcasm, not one bit. thumbsup.gif

I sometimes press LIKE even when I do not agree with the message. I am someone who can appreciate a well thought out and well written commentary, even if I disagree with the content. I guess I should not do that any more.

Beyond belief. ph34r.png

I'd like to click 'like' but I wouldn't like to encourage dislike.

Better shut down the whole Koh Tao forum right now, or soon there will be no TV members. Just for the record I Love Everyone of every political stripe!!! This is the best Junta ever!!! and if any posting has been made, it was probably due to a hacker in Redondo Beach, California.

It's not really a matter of defending it. It's simply the law and if you live here in Thailand, you post opinions on the internet at your own risk. Certain subjects should never even be hinted at if you value your freedom. Staying out of a Thai jail should be "job one" for any expat.

Let's see the sycophants try and defend this one.

Being thrown in jail for having an opinion facepalm.gif

Better shut down the whole Koh Tao forum right now, or soon there will be no TV members. Just for the record I Love Everyone of every political stripe!!! This is the best Junta ever!!! and if any posting has been made, it was probably due to a hacker in Redondo Beach, California.

Or just shut down the entire network in Thailand..... and let the kids go paranoia beyond mental repair....

Edited by MaxLee

Thais will never understand how foreigners vent to release their feelings. Thais smile and say maipanrai and when their anger is properly stored and collected and built up they go and kill someone to release it. Not saying this is the norm buy people need some place to allow their emotions and feelings including their feelings about topics or it just builds up until someone explodes. Or riots. Some things about thainess are not good psychologically for a person. People need a place to express themselves openly to rid bad feelings which could lead to worse actions. I just hope one day Thailand will see why so many crazy Thais are running rampant killing others without care or guilt. I can understand talking bad about the king. He has never done anything to deserve that from his people. But in the world of politics and business many people have strong feelings and are very opinionated about it.

Beyond belief. ph34r.png

Well you can post whatever you like, could not care less what laws you broke as I will never be accused of either agreeing with or "liking" one of your posts. clap2.gif

(flame away, I am going to bed now)

Beyond belief. ph34r.png

Thanks for the advise...

I was just about to click the "Like This" button on your post... gigglem.gif

For Christ's sake... I am seriously planning of leaving this country. I can't believe the astounding sequel of "out-of-this-world" news that is coming out day by day.

I would never forgive myself to allow my kids to live and grow up in such a failed state like Thailand has become.

Time to plan and say goodbye after all that happened in last 5 years and much more in the last year and some months...