Your First Car

Old Croc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arr :D happy memories! Mine was a little old Nissan micra, a bit like a marg tub on wheels, but my favourite part was that it was white and the roof had managed to go moldy and it had green things growing on top of it, like a travelling nature garden :o

Mine was a 1982 ford sierra like this

sierraaa0.jpg

The only difference was mine was bottle green, and it was named captain Scarlett, as it was indestructible. It went in more hedges and ditches than i had hot dinners. Ohh the joys of driving round country lanes like a lunatic at 3am trying to learn how to do handbrake turns :D

???? :D

Did it have the sun roof too for your head to stick out? :D

I know strange name :D but in the theme tune to captain scarlet they sing captain scarlet indestructible, which this car was. We were driving through some country lanes late one night, and i hit some wet leaves on a corner, also going a bit fast, ended up in a ditch car on its side and we had to climb out through the passenger door, when i got the rac out to pull the car out of the ditch, the only damage was a 2 inch crack on the front bumper, hence the name :D

And it did have a sunroof. I remember on one occasion when i was 17, i was sitting out of the sunroof, said to my mate give me a light for my cigarette, and as i bent down through the roof to get the light, he got the car cigarette lighter and pushed it up through the sunroof without looking, straight onto the end of my chin :D man that hurt, and i had the ring marks on my chin for about 6 weeks afterwards :D you can imagine the jokes that were made about that one :o:D

Edited by daleyboy

First Car was a VW Golf GL (just like on that picture - same color too)...lasted 2 years and i "fixed" it on my 23rd Birthday....it was an OK Car for short distance even though i did once a trip from Durban-Cape Town and that was "murder" :D ...it was fast enough to piss off the South African Police... :o

post-27056-1158848710_thumb.jpg

This is the first car I ever bought. A Mercury Cyclone Spoiler with a 429 cubic inch (7000cc) Cobra Jet engine rated at 370 HP. Had 4-speed Hurst power shifter, anti-slip differential. Fastest I got it up to was near 290kph. One of the last American muscle cars built, and the sound of the engine was awsome. At that speed the spoiler actually worked as I could feel the rear end pressing down on curves.

post-566-1158849150_thumb.jpg

My first was a ZH Fairlane. I was given a few thousand to go and buy a sensible car and a friend's dad was a used car dealer and took me to the auctions. some wheeling and dealing later I got this

ford_fairlane_zh.jpg a beautiful 351 Cubic inch, 290HP .... I miss it so much

and NOT this.... as I was supposed to.

GR111.jpg

I left school in 1984. I bought a 1974 XB Ford Fairmont 2 Door Hardtop. $4400.

Specs:

302c.i. (4.9L) Cleveland V8

C4 Automatic 3 Speed Transmission

GS Rally Pack

Power Steering

Air-Con

I rebuilt the motor in 1988

Engine Spec :

351c.i. (5.8L) Cleveland V8

High Nodular Iron Crank to increase capacity from 302 to 351c.i.

Aluminium single plane manifold (huge weight saver)

Open chamber heads. Closed chamber heads cause ping with the shit fuel around.

Custom profile cam by Gary Willmington (used to race these cars)

4 650CFM Barrel Holley Carby with Vac Secondaries

High volume oil pump

Dual row timing chain

Aluminium Water PumP. (Huge weight saver)

Bosch Electronic Ignition Kit (No more points bullshit)

Replaced Auto with 4 Speed Single Rail Manual Transmission with dual plate clutch. Close ratio special box from XD ESP. Lighter and cheaper than Top Loader.

2.92:1 Diff from XB Ute....Unbreakable and lighter than 9" Diff (Cheaper too)

Heavier front and installed rear anti roll bar...Gas Sshocks and lowered and harder front springs.

I still have this car........great fun to drive. I have owned it for 21Years and will never sell it.

post-35086-1159109238_thumb.jpg

Yes has Genie extractors and dual exhaust.....drive through a tunnel is music to my ears....Top Speed on freeway was 240KM/H or 150MPH.

No need to change gear to pass cars.....put foot down and listen to secondaries open up......I took out the radio because it sounds so good.

Has outlasted girlfriends and my other cars.

I wanted one since I was 8 YO...started saving when I was 10 YO....Purchased when 17 YO. Thats dedication!!

My first ride was a 1969 Chevy® Chevelle SS 396

A powerhouse that came with 375 bhp and 415 foot pounds of torque! With 86,000 Chevelles™ being ordered with the Super Sport package in 1969, it was one of the most popular cars of its era.

Reference photo

post-17974-1159113059_thumb.jpg

my first car was a 5 litre VL Commodore, wasnt as nice as this one but it had 16 inch rims, lowered and a skirts. The stereo was desked out and so was the inside.

But got caught doing 70 km/h over the limit and the police too me home and didnt fine me because it was my birthday, wasnt allowed to pick it up or they said they going to lock me up for a night and chardge me with various driving offences.

Came back the next morning and it was stripped. I wonder who stipped it :o

But it was a pearla of a car

post-25249-1159147177.jpg

chevy.bmp

1974 Chevy Impala "Spirit of America". 350 cubic inch engine 2 door coupe. Built like a Sherman tank. Had it when I was 17 in 1978-1979. Nice high school machine. Leaked oil like a sieve and guzzled gas massively (5 mile to gallon). Was a nightmare to have during 1979 Iranian induced oil crunch. Had a 26 gallon tank. Popped my 1st chick in it. Same color as pic

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

My first ride was a 1969 Chevy® Chevelle SS 396

A powerhouse that came with 375 bhp and 415 foot pounds of torque! With 86,000 Chevelles™ being ordered with the Super Sport package in 1969, it was one of the most popular cars of its era.

Reference photo

Now that's a fine fine car, best I've seen in the thread. That's from an era when the USA owned the auto industry building great muscle cars