Myanmar labourer dies after falling off pickup truck in Phuket

Lite Beer

Myanmar labourer dies after falling off pickup truck in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1437897217_1.jpg

The pickup truck that was carrying three labourers.

PHUKET: A 26-year-old Myanmar labourer died this morning (July 26) when a vehicle slammed into the side of the pickup truck he was riding in, causing him to bounce off the back and hit his head on the road.

At 9am, Thalang police were called to the scene to investigate the accident on Thepkassattri Rd, north bound in front of Suan Palm Anchalee.

Police and Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived to assist the victim, Soe Thu, who appeared to be suffering from severe head injuries. Rescue workers administered CPR in an attempt to save his life.

The victim died on the way to Vachira Hospital.

Police found the two vehicles involved in the accident nearby, the Isuzu pickup truck, loaded with construction tools, had some scratches on the left side, while the Toyota Fortuner had damage to the front.

Police said that the Isuzu carrying three Myanmar labourers had been travelling from Thalang and was heading towards Phuket Town.

Soe was sitting on the rim of the truck, on the right hand side. The truck was in the right lane, when the Fortuner attempted to overtake the truck.

“The Furtuner smashed into the left side of the pickup truck, causing the victim to fall off and hit his head on the road,” said Lt Sanit Nookong.

“He was suffering severe head injuries and rescue workers tried to save his life, but it was too late.”

The driver of the Fortuner, Somwong Robkid, 44, and the truck driver, Baramee Shaeleab 22, were taken to Thalang police station for more questioning.

Somwong faces being charged with reckless driving causing death.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/myanmar-labourer-dies-after-falling-off-pickup-truck-in-phuket-53366.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-26

In most educated counties in the world it is against the law to ride in the back of a truck. I am so surprised that it was never mentioned, okay maybe not. I see pickup trucks with 10 workers in the back. Who is more guilty the truck driver or the driver who hit them in the rear of the truck?

In the 70s we used to ride in the back of our pickup truck in western Canada, but the laws changed, darn.

I used to ride in the back of our farm truck which was a 1 ton with a big box and 4 foot walls,

it was great as I could see the scenery, but also take a nap if it was a long ride. Now we have to all

be in our seats with seat belts, and child seats if the passenger is very young, 0.1 to 3 or 4 years old.

The world does change, but I am glad that I experienced the good old days with more freedoms

and challenges. RIP to the unfortunate fellow who died.

I believe this guy was sitting on the tailgate of the pickup, not inside it. A relatively minor accident could cause someone seated this way to fall to the road.

The minor damage to the vehicles doesn't fit with the description that one "slammed into" the other.

I have often seen these fools perched up un the sides of pickups in heavy traffic and it makes me flinch every time.

Edited by Old Croc