Note to Readers: Clarification on New Laws Curbing Alcohol Sales in Thailand

webfact

Why do people keep asking the same questions?...NANA COMPLEX IS NOT IN A DESIGNATED ENTERTAINMENT ZONE.

Why do people keep ignoring the basic facts over and over again ...

NANA COMPLEX IS NOT WITHIN 300m OF ANY ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS.

blink.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The junta doesn't care that you lose your business or employment selling Booze. Why? Because Booze is seen to them as the root of most social ills. Alcohol related accidents, rape, domestic violence, homicides, suicides, etc etc. Never before have the religious elite had such a partner. If it is gold it will survive the fire...

Booze is seen to them as the root of most social ills....If it is gold it will survive the fire...

Not quite Gandalf. It's just the normal "Sh!t for Show" and as Thai history has shown over and over again ... it will soon be swept under the carpet, ignored and unenforced.

Has anyone seen ANY enforcement in Pattaya yet?

I don't think I'll believe they're serious until Walking Street and Soi 6 get shut down. I guess Walking Street might qualify as an entertainment district, but I can't see Soi 6 getting that designation. whistling.gif

Neither soi 6 nor Walking Street are popular with Thai students. They will be unaffected.

I used to know a few students that were working there...........................rolleyes.gif

And they were quite popular if I recall....................tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

Walking street, Soi 6, Nana, Soi Cowboy (again and again and again) ... is ANYONE on this forum capable of using Google Maps and and taking into consideration the TYPES of schools that affect booze trading?

It's almost "Thai like"

blink.png

For those who are unaware the term "entertainment zone" refers to a law passed declared about 10 years ago by the Thaksin government, and thought up by his horrible interior minister Purachai. In Bangkok the only 3 zones declared were Patpong, New Petchburi (i.e. RCA), and Ratchapisek.

Closing times for bars outside these zones were to be severely restricted, and in fact were, for a time.

Now, the current government, whose major purpose is to eradicate the influence of Thaksin, is making use of this Thaksin-era law for its own ludicrous purposes. Somewhere Purachai is smiling (that is if the miserable old fart is capable of smiling).

Has anyone seen ANY enforcement in Pattaya yet?

I don't think I'll believe they're serious until Walking Street and Soi 6 get shut down. I guess Walking Street might qualify as an entertainment district, but I can't see Soi 6 getting that designation. whistling.gif

Neither soi 6 nor Walking Street are popular with Thai students. They will be unaffected.

I don't recall seeing anything in either the order or the amendment that said only locations that are popular with Thai students will be affected. I guess the real answer is that no one knows for sure until it starts getting enforced. Or enforced selectively. Or not at all.

Until then... we speculate!

Yes, it's all speculation.

Having lived here 10 years I've learned to pretty much ignore these "crackdowns". Much is often lost in translation and in my view the intent behind this misguided legislation is to stop Thai students drinking. The wording makes it sound more draconian, and although I may well be proved wrong, I doubt many areas will actually be affected, particularly areas that cater for mainly tourists and expats.

It makes for great "click-bait" though!

i would agree with you here, but i can foresee a different type of problem with this one if they actually begin to enforce it, to save face or whatever.

If the enforcement happens for any length of time, how long are the law abiding, licenced premises going to be able to remain open without any income into their business? If a premises has to close for financial reasons and they reverse their decision on the rule, or change it where then does the retailer/bar owner stand?

As i said earlier, this is an extremely harsh enforcement.

There is life outside of Bangkok, and it would be nice if the laws were made clearer for Big stores like Tesco Lotus and Big C where some of their stores are within the 300 metre zone. The exemption for lower schools is ridiculous. Lower school is M 1 to M 3 and some of those kids are quite big and drink. Also Male Thai teachers drink, so the ban should be for every school

No 10-year-old will see it as a big problem to ride a few more meters on his motorbike, with 3 of his mates, all without helmets, to get their booze.

The ban is ridiculous, what they need to control is the SALE to minors, and being intoxicated in the workplace. How do they do that?

EDUCATE NOT LEGISLATE.

Why do people keep asking the same questions?...NANA COMPLEX IS NOT IN A DESIGNATED ENTERTAINMENT ZONE.

Why do people keep ignoring the basic facts over and over again ...

NANA COMPLEX IS NOT WITHIN 300m OF ANY ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS.

blink.png

depends on which regulation you are applying, the first or prayut's supplemental pronuncement.

Day 1 : PM sins a law covering places for tertiary education effective in 30 days

Day 2 : Supplementary order issued affecting all schools and effective immediately plus vague changes to relevant distances.

Day 3 : It's all a misunderstanding.

gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Well done! clap2.gif Can you choose my lottery numbers for me next time, please!

From today's news:-

"Just yesterday the national police spokesman reiterated in state media that the majority of entertainment venue operators in Bangkok are willing to obey the new regulation calling for all establishments offering alcoholic beverages to be located away from education institutes by at least 300 meters.

Days after telling Bangkok Post he wanted the ban extended to 500 meters, Minister Gen. Paiboon was quoted again in a story published late last night there is no radius in the "misunderstood" ban."

Edited by sambum