Phuket two-day booze ban for Buddhist holidays to include hotels

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and the sky is falling cheesy.gif

This is soooo predictable. Every time there's talk about alcohol restrictions in Thailand, the usual suspects will come up with statements about why this will mean the death of tourism as we know it in Thailand. Guess what. Most tourists don't care, and they are still coming by the millions. Tens of millions actually.

Tens of millions actually. Please show me where you dreamt that figure. Apart from Chinese busloads who spend very little; it is falling considerably. Maybe you need to speak with Thai and farang business owners in all the tourist areas.

We have booked a "club room" at a hotel for those 2 days. That includes free alcohol in the evenings.

I guess that is Ok as it is free. I will check with the hotel tomorrow. If there is a ban then... Yes, I am cancelling.

Your post has given me an idea.

What if bars charge, say, 100 baht for a game of pool, and you get a "free" beer? The same can be done for the other bar top games. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Guess what; bookings in Pattaya are getting cancelled by the bus load - people travel to Cambodia and the Philippines instead. Nice thing about it is that Cambodia is considered also a Buddhist country. Guess police needs a proper cash increase and hence quite a few watering holes are just prepared to pay as some bars are increasing the drinks prices while we speak.

Lord, forgive them for they don't know what they are doing (to their own country). Expect the booze distributors doing a thriving business until Wednesday evening

I live in Cambodia, don't drink as a rule. I used to live in TL, never understood these restrictions then or now. TL is supposed to be 'superior' to Cambodia, at least in the eyes of Thais that is. None of this nonsense here for those who who wish to imbibe.

Yes, this proves Thailand is superior to Cambodia.

Would you care to expand on that?

Do people really visit Thailand and not know anything about the culture here or realize it is governed by Buddhist traditions and that about 93% of the population identify as being Buddhist and another near 6% Islam?

For those that are here and year after year whine and moan about these bans as being wrong, that is even more silly. Stock up if you are so concerned otherwise get over it and accept it or leave if you find the culture and ways here unrelatable or unacceptable.

A couple days of attempted sober living for the population ... what an outrage.

Whilst I can understand the restriction of alcohol sales on Buddha Days, which shows respect to Thai culture, and the Buddhist religion - I can not understand the restriction of alcohol sales on election days, particularly to those who are ineligible vote, and who, in fact, are not even Thai citizens.

In my opinion, Thailand needs to designate certain tourist areas "Special Economic Zones" and allow late closing of hospitality venues, and exemptions from Buddha Days and election days.

I've stashed up quite nicely, thus no plomplem for me smile.png

Exactly ... don't even need to stash up, plenty mom & pop shops will supply. Just the bars usually take the hit, restuarants never know if they can sell booze on these no-booze days, I guess it's clear if hotel can't even sell booze. What happens with the in-room mini-bars ?? Do hotels empty ?? It's all so rediculous ....

Edited by LivinginKata

Guess what; bookings in Pattaya are getting cancelled by the bus load - people travel to Cambodia and the Philippines instead. Nice thing about it is that Cambodia is considered also a Buddhist country. Guess police needs a proper cash increase and hence quite a few watering holes are just prepared to pay as some bars are increasing the drinks prices while we speak.

Lord, forgive them for they don't know what they are doing (to their own country). Expect the booze distributors doing a thriving business until Wednesday evening

I live in Cambodia, don't drink as a rule. I used to live in TL, never understood these restrictions then or now. TL is supposed to be 'superior' to Cambodia, at least in the eyes of Thais that is. None of this nonsense here for those who who wish to imbibe.

Yes, this proves Thailand is superior to Cambodia.

Would you care to expand on that?

I think it clearly shows that Thailand is morally superior to Cambodia by adhering to Buddhist principles.

This is the one discussion that pops up every time there is a ban, for religious or election reasons (with variations because of the reason for the ban).

In about 10 years I have not seen or heard anything new.

I think it clearly shows that Thailand is morally superior to Cambodia by adhering to Buddhist principles.

C'mon steven, we all know this so called booze ban is all 'lip' service. Plenty Thai's still sell booze, plenty Thais buy the booze. And drink it.

Edited by LivinginKata

C'mon steven, we all know this so called booze ban is all 'lip' service. Plenty Thai's still sell booze, plenty Thais buy the booze. And drink it.
Yes, agree, but not in the eyes of the Thais, as referred to in the original post I replied to.

Imagine people have travelled about 15-20 hours from they leave their home in Europe and more from US to get to their destination Phuket - here they (God forbid it ...) would like to have a Cold drink / beer at the Hotel before going out to dinner but surprise surprise there is a 2 day alcohol prohibition cause of some religious Holiday and no Cold beer here, not even out at the restaurant ... facepalm.gif

Of course people can live with not getting a drink for 2 days or not being able to buy alcohol in 7/11 between 2pm - 5pm but people will just wonder <deleted> is going on, like they will wonder why there is a taxi mafia that will extort them from day 1 and why there is no sunbeds on the Beach and the list just goes on and on - not something people need on their Holiday ... blink.png

They will think why did we come here, its only problems with this broken country that might be beyond repair ...wacko.png

Does the ban apply only to Phuket ? If not why is Phuket making the announcement not Bangkok?

Ban is nationwide, this is just the announcement how phuket police interpret and enforce.

Do people really visit Thailand and not know anything about the culture here or realize it is governed by Buddhist traditions and that about 93% of the population identify as being Buddhist and another near 6% Islam?

For those that are here and year after year whine and moan about these bans as being wrong, that is even more silly. Stock up if you are so concerned otherwise get over it and accept it or leave if you find the culture and ways here unrelatable or unacceptable.

A couple days of attempted sober living for the population ... what an outrage.

Whilst I can understand the restriction of alcohol sales on Buddha Days, which shows respect to Thai culture, and the Buddhist religion - I can not understand the restriction of alcohol sales on election days, particularly to those who are ineligible vote, and who, in fact, are not even Thai citizens.

In my opinion, Thailand needs to designate certain tourist areas "Special Economic Zones" and allow late closing of hospitality venues, and exemptions from Buddha Days and election days.

Don't worry. There are unlikely to be any elections in Thailand for years...

To stephenl:

"Cleary shows"? Rather blinkered I would add.

Buddhist principles?!

1) Circa 1995, Luang Phor Koon taken to hospital after his Mercedes overturned.

2) Circa late 90's, monks in Korat browsing in video stores.

3) Early 2000's, monks in Korat browsing in Mobile phone stores.

4) Bird Mcintyre had the road to the temple pave and an aircon installed in his cell when he was a monk.

5) Monks in Tuks Tuks, on motorcycle taxis, Skytrain. Where do they get the money?

6) I have a photo of a monk on an IPhone at Doi Suthep, Nov 2104. "Hello Lord Buddha, are you there?"

Morally superior?! - Hmmm - Patpong, Nana, Cowboy....and many more. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand yet monks routinely attend blessing ceremonies at newly opened bars. Your comments indicate that you consider yourself holier than thou.

To conclude, you do know that Thailand means 'Land of the Free' and that all religions are welcomed in Thailand?

I've just looked at many Thai cal landers and only day 30 shows as Religeous

Did you look at 2015 calendars? smile.png The BOT calendar shows only the bank holidays and the 30th is a bank holiday but 31st is not. Rest are public/government holidays Thaivisa list of public holidays 2015.

Both the 30th and 31st are Buddhist holidays in 2015. Each year the date changes as it is based on lunar calendar.

Asalha Puja (30th), also known as Dharma Day, is one of Theravada Buddhism’s most important festivals

Khao Phansa' (31st), in Thai, refers to the beginning of the Buddhist Lent. During this time, Buddhist monks are restricted to their temples for a period of three months. Young men over 20 years, who have not yet ordained as monks, may take this opportunity to enter the monkhood to observe Buddhist teachings

Well, 5 at home,5 at office say 1day. Not that I u are wrong.

I can say with certainty that the universities/schools will be closed for both days as I work at one and that immigration will be closed. Businesses, as I mentioned in the OP, may or may not close one or both days at their discretion as it is not mandatory for them.

I can say with certainty that the universities/schools will be closed for both days as I work at one and that immigration will be closed. Businesses, as I mentioned in the OP, may or may not close one or both days at their discretion as it is not mandatory for them.

The Thai calander only shows the Friday as a public holiday, so I assumed (?) only the Friday is a bank and government holiday. Does not bother me but worth folks knwing if immigration/bank open on the Thursday

The Thai calander only shows the Friday as a public holiday, so I assumed (?) only the Friday is a bank and government holiday. Does not bother me but worth folks knwing if immigration/bank open on the Thursday

My topic in the CM forum detailing closures, this is applicable nationwide - Public Holiday July 30 and July 31

BOT (Bank of Thailand) website shows the 30th banks closed, the 31st they are open. Immigration shows the 30th & 31st closed as the online queue is closed with a notice of national holiday. A bank calendar may very well not show the 31st as a holiday as it is not a banking holiday.

Here is one of many sites that reflect the 30th and 31st as holidays. Those two days have been national holidays for years, they just are more noticeable this year as they are back to back.

http://holiday-calendar.com/thailand-public-holiday-calendar/1442/

Doesn't Thailand think it superior to everyone.

And we all know what complete and utter joke that is.

Thailand morals you are havin a laugh