Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Registering with the Thai police ?!

A friend of mine has been told he has to go to Bangkok Police (and only Bangkok, even though he lives in Nong Khai) and register because he has been here longer than 3 months!!

Apparently it is a new rule that came into effect last week - has anybody heard of this?

Whether it is because he is a teacher I am not sure but maybe something has got lost in translation and he has been asked to get a Thai Police clearance certificate - but for teachers this used to be from your home country

does anybody know ?

Never heard of registering with the police any where every 90 days. Sounds more like the normal 90 day reports to immigration.

Wanting a Thai police clearance is not that unusual.

Sorry I should have been clearer - I have checked and he is on a tourist visa but wants to apply for a non b based on teaching - the school have told him that to get a non-b you have to have a Thai police clearance certificate and register.

My understanding is that Vientienne consulate now ask for a police clearance certificate, but from your home country - not from the Thai police

He tried to get clarification and was told he also has to register at the same time with Bangkok Police as it is a new rule - doesn't matter where you live.

So far he has not done any 90 days reporting at Nong Khai immigration.

To summarise :-

1) to now get a non b visa is the police clearance certificate from Thai police or your own country?

2) is there a new policy that farlangs now have to register with Bangkok Police if you are here longer than 90 days !? - regardless of where you live in Thailand. (This one I find hard to believe)

Thanks guys

1. I read reports that Vientiane just want a Thai police clearance. I understand they check with Interpol for arrest warrants when they do them.

2. I don't believe the part about registering in Bangkok.is correct. Some confusion there I am sure.

1. I read reports that Vientiane just want a Thai police clearance. I understand they check with Interpol for arrest warrants when they do them.

2. I don't believe the part about registering in Bangkok.is correct. Some confusion there I am sure.

Thanks Ubonjoe - can I ask where did you read about Vientienne asking for a Thai police clearance report - at the moment for some reason their website is in Thai only but a friend translated it and he said from your own country

If they will only accept a Thai police report which can only be obtained from Bangkok this could cause major problems for many teachers

Thanks again

I think if the police certificate was needed from a persons home country we would of seen many posts about. The only mention of it has been a Thai one.
I think your friend misread what is says on their website. There is no mention of where the police certificate has to come from.
This is what Google translate of it says. I don't think it would be far enough off to leave out the statement if has to come from you home country.

"5. Evidence of a criminal background check by the police."

A Thai police clearance can be applied for by mail. See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/