TIP report setback 'won't affect' Thai fishery industry

webfact

TIP report setback 'won't affect'
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

30265412-01_big.jpg
Poj Aramwattananont

BANGKOK: -- DESPITE Thailand remaining in Tier 3 - the lowest level of the US' annual Trafficking in Persons report, businesses still believe trade will not be impacted, only the country's image. Companies in the fishery industry share the view that the Kingdom had tried hard to solve the trafficking problem, but the US had disappointed Thailand by maintaining it in Tier 3 for a second year.

Poj Aramwattananont, president of the Thai Frozen Foods Association, said Thailand needs to accept the US rating, although there are doubts over the US' consideration, as the Kingdom had seriously cracked down on human trafficking and solved labour problems during the past year.

Now all involved associations will carefully read the US' explanation for keeping the country in Tier 3. If any doubtful or unfair assessment is found, Thailand will argue immediately since the public and private sectors have tackled the trafficking problem very seriously and the outcome can be significantly tangible.

The TIP report released late on Monday night cited the Thai government's failure to comply with standards, noting the trial of journalists. However, the US upgraded Malaysia to Tier 2.

US President Barack Obama will decide in September whether to take any action against Thailand's trade in certain industries. Last year, Obama had not yet placed any sanctions on Thailand's trade.

Somsak Paneetatyasai, president of the Thai Shrimp Association, said that although the US had kept Thailand in Tier 3 for another year, that should not affect Thailand's trade or result in other non-trade barriers. It would only be a blemish on the country's image.

"Thailand needs time to proceed with our measures in combating human trafficking. The government and private enterprises have proceeded on the right track in solving the trafficking problem. The US should upgrade Thailand's trade status next year," he said.

Chanintr Chalisarapong, president of the Thai Tuna Industry Association, said the Thai government has made tremendous efforts to suppress trafficking in persons during the past year.

"Despite remaining in Tier 3, Thailand's trading partners, particularly the US and the EU, will continue to trade with Thai traders, as private enterprises have clearly proved to their trading partners the high standard of labour treatment in many industries, especially fisheries," he said.

Thanavath Phonvichai, director of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce's Economic and Business Forecasting Centre, said Thai trade should not be impacted by the TIP report, as private firms made their own contracts and have a programme to create understanding among individual firms.

Source: https://app.sproutsocial.com/feeds/twitter/georgebkk/

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-29

Nice chunky gold ring buddy. How many corpses...I mean carats is that. Tell me Khun Poj " had solved many labour problems in the last year" and the possibly delusional Chanintr " the high standard of labour treatment in many Thai industries ESPECIALLY fishing industries" how do you sleep at night ?

Nice chunky gold ring buddy. How many corpses...I mean carats is that. Tell me Khun Poj " had solved many labour problems in the last year" and the possibly delusional Chanintr " the high standard of labour treatment in many Thai industries ESPECIALLY fishing industries" how do you sleep at night ?

He was born to rule. He simply doesn't care about the lower orders.

However he will argue if he considers the report to be "unfair".

Many reports on the US Tier 3 report, they don't care, they do care, it's unfair, it won't affect business.

Any comments about raising their efforts on dealing with human trafficking? Saying they have done their best isn't cutting it.

"Companies in the fishery industry share the view that the Kingdom had tried hard to solve the trafficking problem"

You mean the very companies who created the problems in the first place? What a shocker!!

Whilst the initial start up for major investigations went at full speed.....they seem to have turned the usual corner and slowed down.......the investigators are maybe getting bored or maybe there's just too many big names coming up...............

The investigation to me seems to have mainly been focused on the fishing industry.....and little emphasis on the sex industry which is still a major concern.

Very rarely nowadays have I heard or read much about detecting underage girls working in brothels or moving young sex workers around Thailand or overseas..

Edited by ChrisY1

Whilst the initial start up for major investigations went at full speed.....they seem to have turned the usual corner and slowed down.......the investigators are maybe getting bored or maybe there's just too many big names coming up...............

The investigation to me seems to have mainly been focused on the fishing industry.....and little emphasis on the sex industry which is still a major concern.

Very rarely nowadays have I heard or read much about detecting underage girls working in brothels or moving young sex workers around Thailand or overseas..

Do you suggest that all the old punters can't bring their sex toys home???

This reminds me of the headline a few weeks back 'The Thai Fishing Industry EXPECTS to be Upgraded From Lowest Level' Now their expectations have not been fulfilled they state 'This WONT affect the industry'. I wonder what the spin will be if the EU and/or US ban Thai fish imports.

Edited by Toknarok

This reminds me of the headline a few weeks back 'The Thai Fishing Industry EXPECTS to be Upgraded From Lowest Level' Now their expectations have not been fulfilled they state 'This WONT affect the industry'. I wonder what the spin will be if the EU and/or US ban Thai fish imports.

They could try the stupid and so transparent spin the tourist industry uses as when it's going well it's so important to the economy and when tourism isn't doing well it's written off as not that important.

"Companies in the fishery industry share the view that the Kingdom had tried hard to solve the trafficking problem"

You mean the very companies who created the problems in the first place? What a shocker!!

They keep claiming over and over how hard they have worked to eradicate TIP but cannot seem to list even one accomplishment.

There is a trade synergy between the USA and the EU.

Should the EU red card Thailand, the USA might follow suit by invoking some limited sanction as a show of solidarity with the EU. The Obama administration has a policy of using scaled sanctions to effect a change in a nation's political behavior. This was the pattern used over a 20-year period against Iran's nuclear development.

So while the USA will not immediately ban Thai seafood from the US, it may limit the amount of import subject to lower import tariffs. It will let the American consumer decide whether purchase of the more expensive high tariff Thai seafood is worthwhile.

I have said it before, if you want 'to join the club' and play with the big boys, then you need to conform and play by the rules. Something that is obviously not happening here. Arrogance and condemnation is not going to get Thailand upgraded. By admitting and a bit of humility just might work.

Business as usual,... Faceness as usual.....wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

What they are saying is that it is worth it, considering the profit to be made from slave labor, to stay in Tier 3 another year.

Motto in disguise..... "Don't get caught next time...." ..... wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Like Yoda said "Do, or do not. There is no "try"." They've got a month or so to ignore reality, and then I do hope Obama & Co, apply the stick. USA believes in treating Thailand gently, but first have to get their attention.....