Thai politics: Learning how to debate is the first step to democracy

webfact

Just to clarify,

The child didn't say Thai's need to learn to debate.

She didn't complete an exam and claimed it was a protest and went on to add she was unhappy with the 12 values being sold by the current government.

The journalist makes the point that Thai's need to learn how to debate in her article. The child is a merely a foil to explain her reasoning.

In regards to the title of the article, ' Learning how to debate is the first step to democracy'

This supposition is wrong.

Learning how to hold free and transparent elections, devoid of corruption or coercion- is the first step to democracy.

Debate is only so much he said, she said - in fact debate is a step backwards; there's been way too much debate in this country.

blink.png

I too love Q&A Australia, and I'm a yank. I wish it were on in some form in USA, where debate has turned into Jerry Springer show sound bites. And blank exam paper leaves thought police with nothing to sink their teeth into... Sufi saying comes to mind "The best answer to a fool is silence"

All nations should refer to Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton. Diametrically opposed as two people could get, yet they rolled up their sleeves and worked towards compromise. The problem with any government ruled by a single minded military man is that compromise is not an option.

agree with your points, and would add to this...

The problem with any government ruled by a single minded military man is that compromise is not an option.

that actually, under such circumstances, compromise is not an issue at all....

Hilarious ! tb, the most one-eyed poster on this forum talking about compromise ! You have never once admitted to any faults by the Shins and done nothing but attack the present government. And you talk about compromise, what a cowardly hypocrite you are. No cred whatsoever.

In his day the paymaster was certainly NOT open to compromise, It was 'my way or the highway'.

99% of the elected party members never made any statement in parliament or contributed to debate in parliament.

Additionally he sued any reporters who dared to ask him awkward questions.

It was almost never that his minsters made statements.

At last, a Thai with a brain and a sense of principle.

Who'd have thought it?

Well done lass, if all Thais were like you, Thailand would not now be quite so deep in the excrement and sinking, because whatever the drones say, that's where it is and that's what it's doing.

Edited by Red Queen

All nations should refer to Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton. Diametrically opposed as two people could get, yet they rolled up their sleeves and worked towards compromise. The problem with any government ruled by a single minded military man is that compromise is not an option.

agree with your points, and would add to this...

The problem with any government ruled by a single minded military man is that compromise is not an option.

that actually, under such circumstances, compromise is not an issue at all....

Hilarious ! tb, the most one-eyed poster on this forum talking about compromise ! You have never once admitted to any faults by the Shins and done nothing but attack the present government. And you talk about compromise, what a cowardly hypocrite you are. No cred whatsoever.

maybe you and halloween come from the same mold, ...

yes, I do not appreciate this "government" (too kind a word for them), but to say that I never admit to faults by the "shins" is (1) wrong, and (2) irrelevant.

The "Shins" don't get much critiquing from me on this forum because there is almost no realistic opportunity to do so and because they haven't been around since I joined... BTW, in case you haven't figured it out yet, pointing out that the current regime is going through a political purge is NOT the same thing as defending the side getting the purging...

Didn't we just agree that not all "Shin"-haters are junta huggers and not all Junta-haters are "Shin"-huggers? Seems like that was just yesterday... coffee1.gif

As for biased - when it relates to undemocratic governments & anti-democratic forces in our world, then yeah, biased as h311 and I'll wear it like a badge.

One of the main features of democracy is freedom of speech and expression something Thailand has lost, as for the 12 virtues from P.M. Prayut - O I can pick far better candidates than an Ex war mongering General to include in any examination.coffee1.gif

I hope you have the money to further your education overseas, you are going a long way, and you are exactly what Thailand needs.Lets hope it encourages more of the younger generation to think for themselves, use common sense and speak up when they believe strongly in something. If you were my child, I wouldn't be able to wipe the grin of my face for a month. Here's looking at you kid, all the best for the future.

ALL THE fuss over a high-school student leaving her civics exam paper blank sheds light on Thailand's fragility when it comes to differing political opinions. In a society where tolerance for different opinions is low, the act of a student handing in a blank exam paper becomes big news.

And that's the problem now.

The broad masses of politically interested people find no outlet.

The suppression of opinions, ban on meetings and media censorship does not help to build up a democratic state. The military government is now right in the middle between progress and stagnation. Whenever citizens can participate in the decisions then they will support them and also share the responsibility. It's time that the current military government help and allow the establishment and formation of political parties. The military government should perceive only the function of the arbitrator here. Should the military government actually carry out a referendum on the new constitution, it will be rejected by the majority of the population, if no opportunities for participation is given to the content for ordinary citizens.

"Thoughts that are even slightly different are often met with dislike or even hatred"

And that has to change. It is so ingrained in some peoples ethos that it rubs off on some TVF member. You only need to look at some replies to my comments to see the condescension and frustration some adopt due to an inability to debate or challenge the statement.

​I would love to see the show Q&A that Australia have introduced onto Thai TV. Completely unscripted questions to politicians by panel members and the audience. The ability debate is not the start of democracy, but it allows the people to see how strong the politicians grasp and understanding of the issue is. A politician needs to be opinionated, show resolve and conviction. That extends a passion for democracy which is all too lacking in Thailand pre May 2014.

As for the student....Again she has achieved nothing except a big fat fail which will limit her job opportunities. If she was passionate she would graduate, go to university, get a degree in political science, a masters in law and make changes. All she is doing now is ensuring she gets her 5 minutes of fame followed by a low paying job for the rest of her life.

I pity her. Education is critical and she is too young to understand that obviously.

Not even this girl's bravery in standing up for her beliefs can you find anything but contempt for!

You disgust me.

Mzurf once again seems to be trolling Djjamie.

Djjamie demonstrates concern the girl has thrown away educational opportunity for no benefit,he is still misrepresented.

I think this is an excellent example of why debate is a waste of everyone's time right now.

The factions are so divided there is no point in debating anything. Because reasoned debate can't exist without resulting protests.

I suggest ignoring debate and ensuring people get the chance for free and fair elections, after all everyone is screaming for democracy, but they decide that's a bad idea, and argue for the chance to debate?

Debate what/ everyone is heartily sick of the constant back and forth. Except those people who can't wait for a chance to throw in for an argument. Even when there is a suggestion to avoid one.

Thanks to all those who insist on a debate- you've proven why they are a bad idea.

"Thoughts that are even slightly different are often met with dislike or even hatred"

And that has to change. It is so ingrained in some peoples ethos that it rubs off on some TVF member. You only need to look at some replies to my comments to see the condescension and frustration some adopt due to an inability to debate or challenge the statement.

​I would love to see the show Q&A that Australia have introduced onto Thai TV. Completely unscripted questions to politicians by panel members and the audience. The ability debate is not the start of democracy, but it allows the people to see how strong the politicians grasp and understanding of the issue is. A politician needs to be opinionated, show resolve and conviction. That extends a passion for democracy which is all too lacking in Thailand pre May 2014.

As for the student....Again she has achieved nothing except a big fat fail which will limit her job opportunities. If she was passionate she would graduate, go to university, get a degree in political science, a masters in law and make changes. All she is doing now is ensuring she gets her 5 minutes of fame followed by a low paying job for the rest of her life.

I pity her. Education is critical and she is too young to understand that obviously.

she has principals and guts something you will never understand and I predict she will do just fine

Interesting.

When we move back to Australia I will have to teach my son that when ever he does not agree with the political situation there that he should fail his exams.

When people are usually passionate about change they engineer themselves into a situation that affords them the ability to implement that said change. Most people would be more determined to achieve greatness of success to implement the change themselves. PTP logic states to change something fail at everything you set out to achieve and make the front page of the paper.

So the PTP path to greatness if through failure. Yep, that sounds about right!!

Have a lovely day my friend.

Not even this girl's bravery in standing up for her beliefs can you find anything but contempt for!

You disgust me.

You only need to look at some replies to my comments to see the condescension and frustration some adopt due to an inability to debate or challenge the statement.

Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my point!

Have a lovely day.

she has principals and guts something you will never understand and I predict she will do just fine

Interesting.

When we move back to Australia I will have to teach my son that when ever he does not agree with the political situation there that he should fail his exams.

When people are usually passionate about change they engineer themselves into a situation that affords them the ability to implement that said change. Most people would be more determined to achieve greatness of success to implement the change themselves. PTP logic states to change something fail at everything you set out to achieve and make the front page of the paper.

Show me where the PTP come into this.

Interesting.

Stop being a drama queen, it was one paper, one single test, one subject, I know dozens of people who flunked out of school with shit grades, who now OWN their own companies.

When I was in secondary school, I failed to turn up for an art exam, the teacher went nuts, and said I wasted his time... errrrr NO, he wasted mine, it was a subject that I knew that you either have the ability to create, paint/draw, or manufacture, that doesn't need a piece of paper that says I can do it!!

Interesting.

I think you have missed the point which the student made...

You disgust me.

You only need to look at some replies to my comments to see the condescension and frustration some adopt due to an inability to debate or challenge the statement.

Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my point!

Have a lovely day.

It's not so much frustration as disbelief. However, I am slowly and grudgingly starting to respect you as I'm pretty sure you are one of the most successful trolls in the history of TV.

Let me look at you statements in detail:

"As for the student....Again she has achieved nothing except a big fat fail which will limit her job opportunities." She has actually achieved a great deal. She has shown that it's possible to stand up against the mindless pressure for conformity and correctness. That takes enormous guts in a country that is as conformist as Thailand (not to mention under military rule). As for limiting her job opportunities I'm pretty sure there are several companies out there that would love to employ a non-lemming.

"If she was passionate she would graduate, go to university, get a degree in political science, a masters in law and make changes." She is obviously passionate - that's why she bravely stood up against the brainwashing. And one certainly doesn't need a degree in political science or a master in law to make changes.

"All she is doing now is ensuring she gets her 5 minutes of fame followed by a low paying job for the rest of her life." Ahh, she did it for her 5 minutes of fame (followed by years of harassment). Of course, it's so obvious now that you point it out!

"I pity her. Education is critical and she is too young to understand that obviously." I agree with you here. I also pity her for all the sh!t she will get for standing up against the whole lemmification process. Education is certainly important but mindless rote learning, recital of "principles" and marching around the school yard is not what I would consider as quality education. That's what she has understood (and which you fail to grasp) despite her young age.

It's kids like her that make me think that there is actually a brighter future for Thailand.

Edited by MZurf

You disgust me.

Mzurf once again seems to be trolling Djjamie.

Djjamie demonstrates concern the girl has thrown away educational opportunity for no benefit,he is still misrepresented.

I think this is an excellent example of why debate is a waste of everyone's time right now.

The factions are so divided there is no point in debating anything. Because reasoned debate can't exist without resulting protests.

I suggest ignoring debate and ensuring people get the chance for free and fair elections, after all everyone is screaming for democracy, but they decide that's a bad idea, and argue for the chance to debate?

Debate what/ everyone is heartily sick of the constant back and forth. Except those people who can't wait for a chance to throw in for an argument. Even when there is a suggestion to avoid one.

Thanks to all those who insist on a debate- you've proven why they are a bad idea.

cheesy.gif

Where you see concern I see disdain.

Interesting.

garbage in - garbage out as usual

Didn't do Winston Churchill any harm and he became one of, if not THE, greatest leaders the world has ever known

she has shown courage, insight and integrity all three of which are sadly absent from your posts my non-friend

Interesting.

I think you have missed the point which the student made...

Well, it's far from the only point he has missed.