Optimum time to book flights

stament

Just wondering how far in advance is the optimum time on average to book flights for Air Asia to get the lowest prices. I'm talking generally here ie on average how far in advance? Does Air Asia hold promotions perhaps 6 months before flights?

Interested in Air Asia specifically, but also keen to hear views generally.

Obviously the best time would be when a sale or promotion is on, but without knowing that how far in advance is generally best?

Obviously airlines run their business on a supply abd demand basis so too few booked seats means prices will drop.

I've also noticed that if you try to book way in advance it's generally not cheap. Presumably because Airlines don't deel the need to discount at a point that is say ten months in advance. Indeed sometimes flights aren't available or you have to pay a premium compared to the average price to book so far in advance. I also understand some routes and times are more popular than others, hence may not fluctuate much or be discounted.

I understand that peak periods such as Christmas hols and school hols will always be higher and am coming at this more from a general average view with regards to optimum booking time.

thanks in advance

AA has a tiered pricing system. Cheap seats get sold first. So, the earlier you book, the better off you are. Other airlines kinda do this, but will also run specials if they have empty seats closer to the flight date.

If you see a good deal, take it! As far as promotions, they are always running them. Just saw one this past week. But they sell out quickly and somethings their system gets so bogged down, you can't make the reservation.

Sign up with AA and get on their mailing list for promotions. What's your destination?

Thanks for the reply. Was more of a generic question but as you ask my next flight is likely to be BKK to Krabi via BKK Airways and Chiang Mai to Krabi via Air Asia

I know Don Muang to Krabi is cheaper but I don't have time to transfer from Swampy ;-)

Thanks

Used to be that abt. 3 months beforehand was the optimum time to book a flight. Optimum days to book were tuesdays and wednesdays.

Nowadays all that has been negated by the airlines and the only way to get the cheapest fares is wait for promotions.

I'm a member of all the airlines that interest me and am on their mailing list so no need for constant checking.

However Air Aisia's promotions all seem to be for flights in the distant future and seats at those prices are (very) limited.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

For AirAsia you really have to check on a regular basis for promotions which can go really far ahead.

At the moment they give a 20% discount on ALL flights booked until August 2.

Flights until 30 Nov.

A typical AirAsia promo.

post-99794-0-74203000-1438141020_thumb.j

CLEAR YOUR CACHE before you return!!

(And) the cookies or use the "Private Window" or "Incognito browsing", so they can not track your searches.

(though I don't think its relevant for AirAsia, applies more to the typical search engines)

Edited by KhunBENQ

According to Frequent Flyer, the optimum time to book is three months in advance or just before the flight. I've gotten my best prices on AA to LAX around four months in advance. I used to book far in advance on UA and use miles to upgrade but that that doesn't work any more due to the huge increase in the number of miles required. I've given up on UA altogether and what few miles I have left lie fallow.

For AirAsia you really have to check on a regular basis for promotions which can go really far ahead.

At the moment they give a 20% discount on ALL flights booked until August 2.

Flights until 30 Nov.

A typical AirAsia promo.

attachicon.gif150727-en-mb-20off-all-seat-all-flight.jpg

CLEAR YOUR CACHE before you return!!

(And) the cookies or use the "Private Window" or "Incognito browsing", so they can not track your searches.

(though I don't think its relevant for AirAsia, applies more to the typical search engines)

Thanks for the tips, how do I do this on my iPad?

The optimum time depends on many factors

What's right for one isn't for another

Airlines update at irregular times due to their businesses

No one can say exactly when the best time is

Book when you want and don't try to save small money & be a cheap Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk