How will my child be exempted by Buddhist teaching in a Thai School?

bestathens

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

You come on here asking for help to commit mental child abuse according to your set of principles and have the audacity to freak out at the very well deserved criticism.

Why not let the child make a decision when they are old enough, rather than indoctriinate them before they are old enough to think for themselves.

You shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of any child with your mental paedaphilia

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said and then opened the fifth Leo...

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

You come on here asking for help to commit mental child abuse according to your set of principles and have the audacity to freak out at the very well deserved criticism.

Why not let the child make a decision when they are old enough, rather than indoctriinate them before they are old enough to think for themselves.

You shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of any child with your mental paedaphilia

Thanks

and you shouldn't be allowed to define pure "mental rubbish" such as "mental child abuse" and "mental paedaphilia" [sic] as "well deserved criticism".

the OP has every right demanding that his children do not participate in prayers within the teachings of a different faith and none of us is entitled to criticise or judge him!

interesting part of your rant is the contradiction that you deny the OP the rights which the school denies, namely "making a decision when they are old enough...".

coffee1.gif

Let her learn Buhddism. At least she will be learning about something that is real versus something that is not.

what exactly is "real" in Buddhism compared to other religions?

It is a logical set of instructions regarding causality (in its purest form, which is not how it is taught in Thailand)

I cant see what the OP is afraid of, rather like Muslim countries banning films about Christ due to fear of the faithful being led down the wrong path. At school the child has exposure to an enlightened form of philosophy,at home the child is exposed to iron age mythology written down many hundreds of years after the ''event'' which had its roots in ancient Egyptian religion, read about Isis. Both can give one pause for thought as can the fascinating world of physics, the mixture is important like a well balanced diat

Thanks

and you shouldn't be allowed to define pure "mental rubbish" such as "mental child abuse" and "mental paedaphilia" [sic] as "well deserved criticism".

the OP has every right demanding that his children do not participate in prayers within the teachings of a different faith and none of us is entitled to criticise or judge him!

interesting part of your rant is the contradiction that you deny the OP the rights which the school denies, namely "making a decision when they are old enough...".

coffee1.gif

he has no right to demand anything, he can look for a school he likes

Let her learn Buhddism. At least she will be learning about something that is real versus something that is not.

what exactly is "real" in Buddhism compared to other religions?

It is a logical set of instructions regarding causality (in its purest form, which is not how it is taught in Thailand)

as far as logic is concerned our opinions differ very much. but nobody cares about our opinions smile.png

It takes a lot of effort to read and understand what the OP asks for...and a lot of effort also from the OP not to reply at the same attitude with some posters...

now you've got a whiff what to expect from a bunch of narrow-minded people when you present a question based on a, by your standards, well justified demand.

my advice... take it easy! smile.png

Thanks

coffee1.gif

the OP can demand whatever makes him happy. he does not need your permission. whether his demands are met is a different story.

by the way, your derogatory comments and "advice" are nothing but ridiculous tongue.png

Thanks

coffee1.gif

the OP can demand whatever makes him happy. he does not need your permission. whether his demands are met is a different story.

by the way, your derogatory comments and "advice" are nothing but ridiculous tongue.png

you should learn how to behave in this country. demanding things will get you nowhere. come of your high horse and look for better options where you treat the Thai as an equal

you should learn how to behave in this country. demanding things will get you nowhere. come of your high horse and look for better options where you treat the Thai as an equal

accusing the OP that he doesn't "behave" or doesn't treat "the Thai" as an equal is an utmost ridiculous accusation! perhaps the next thing you "demand" is that he and his family should convert to Buddhism?

cheesy.gif

accusing the OP that he doesn't "behave" or doesn't treat "the Thai" as an equal is an utmost ridiculous accusation! perhaps the next thing you "demand" is that he and his family should convert to Buddhism?

cheesy.gif

i was accusing you

I would have thought a knowledge of other beliefs would be benificial to a child. Keeping them away from other beliefs is essentially forcing them to follow what you the parents believe in. I can only assume that later in life you child will not be encouraged to make up their own mind in this respect. Is there an inherent fear in you to want to isolate your child from the world?

Isn't that what parenting is about......we know best. When a child becomes of an age when they are capable of making their own minds up, they will make their own mind up........until then, let the parents decide what's best for their children and you worry about yours. Where the hell did you get isolate from........moron.

WHils some of what you say may be true gandalf12 reading the runes you may find it better to use their childhood as a time of gaining as much knowlege as possible and this includes that which would be gained by allowing instruction in budhism at school and elswhere as the more knowlege that the child has the less likely that he will totally reject your teachings when he or she becomes an adult.

cheesy.gif

i was accusing you

hmm... it's getting better and better laugh.png

since i joined Thaivisa 9 years ago i am quite often accused being a Thai apologist because i am well known to make sarcastic remarks when poor little frustrated boys vent their anger by bashing Thailand and Thais. but then there's always a first time. like today when people like you come up with nonsense drawn out of thin air after poking their nose. different amusement for a change though. keep up the good job!

Thanks

Does the child have a mother and what does she think? It's a strange question from someone who supposedly lives in Thailand. Write a nice letter to the head of the school and ask for advice.

Thanks

Does the child have a mother and what does she think? It's a strange question from someone who supposedly lives in Thailand. Write a nice letter to the head of the school and ask for advice.

why not talk nicely and personally to the school's headmaster?

It takes a lot of effort to read and understand what the OP asks for...and a lot of effort also from the OP not to reply at the same attitude with some posters...

Wise words, oh Enlightened One.

I note that you refer to Yourself as "he".

Some lesser posters might call you pretentious, yes, I am talking about "toi", euh sorry, I mean "vous".

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

samjaidee is right.....Jesus had Buddhism teaching before starting Judaism learnings at age 13 to become a rabi.. Later, he chose other ways to be religious, and a leader, when he didn't agree with his teachers and the Judaism faith and believes. In reality..do not have precise accounts of Jesus whereabouts after his teenager times, and before his mentoring and death.

In Buddhism teaching, Jesus is researched, together with many other important religious figures, and named also "Buddhas"......

Buddhism is NOT a religion...it is a way of thinking.....and a way of life...and older than any other..that inspired many modern religions.

In my opinion... having studied eastern religions and philosophy in university... and spending time in east Asia, visiting many temples.... often more than once, and having discussions with dedicated elderly monks... (mostly in Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas and in the mountains close to the Thailand/Myanmar and Thailand/Laos borders.. I would say that Theravada Buddhism as practiced in Thailand.... with influences of Hinduism and Animism.... is both a religion and philosophy... (way of thinking) So I would Buddhism as practiced in much of Thailand a Religious Philosophy, or a non-thiestic religion.

But even then.... many Thai Buddhists believe in various gods and goddesses.... (the Hindu influence..) or a single God able to be personified as many other gods or goddesses......and spirits of various sorts.. (Animism influenced by a bit of Hinduism).

Buddhism is not "...older than any other..." I can think of many that are older.... including Hinduism, Jainism, (or Jainadharma if you will) ... among others.... and don't forget the Animism practiced by the isolated hill tribes in the mountains of north west Thailand, (not the tourist "hill tribe" villages)... Laos and Myanmar...honoring and respecting and making rituals to the spirits of the place.... nature.... and the sprints and memory of the ancestors... Animism is very ancient..

It can be a complicated subject.... and if you ask 20 serious people.... you may get 20 interpretations..... with disagreement even among various monks and shamans...

I find it fascinating....... and I respect them all

Another thing that is interesting is that in all major respectable religions and philosophies... you will find the "Golden Rule" or a very close variation of it..

Christianity All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 7:1,.... And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner. Luke 6:31

Confucianism Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state.

Analects 12:2

Buddhism Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

Udana-Varga 5,1

Hinduism This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you.

Mahabharata 5,1517

Islam No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.

Sunnah

Judaism What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.

Talmud, Shabbat 3id

Taoism Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.

Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien

Zoroastrianism That nature alone is good which refrains from doing another whatsoever is not good for itself.

Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5

Edited by Catoni

Judaism and Zoroastrianism are both at least a 1000 years older than Buddhism.

Animism in various guises has probably been around as long as humans have walked the earth.

Buddhism is just one of the new kids on the block, like Christianity and Islam.

And before someone comes out with that whole "Buddhism isn't a religion", please tell me of one country where Buddhism is practised by the majority of the population, as a philosophy and not a religion.

Edited by KarenBravo