How will my child be exempted by Buddhist teaching in a Thai School?

bestathens

I would have thought a knowledge of other beliefs would be benificial to a child. Keeping them away from other beliefs is essentially forcing them to follow what you the parents believe in. I can only assume that later in life you child will not be encouraged to make up their own mind in this respect. Is there an inherent fear in you to want to isolate your child from the world?

Isn't that what parenting is about......we know best. When a child becomes of an age when they are capable of making their own minds up, they will make their own mind up........until then, let the parents decide what's best for their children and you worry about yours. Where the hell did you get isolate from........moron.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought a knowledge of other beliefs would be benificial to a child. Keeping them away from other beliefs is essentially forcing them to follow what you the parents believe in. I can only assume that later in life you child will not be encouraged to make up their own mind in this respect. Is there an inherent fear in you to want to isolate your child from the world?

Isn't that what parenting is about......we know best. When a child becomes of an age when they are capable of making their own minds up, they will make their own mind up........until then, let the parents decide what's best for their children and you worry about yours. Where the hell did you get isolate from........moron.

I suggest you look up the various definitions of the word "isolate" assuming of course you can read. It is obvious you have no idea of the context the word is used in. When you get educated lets have a chat

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

Don't know whether Jesus went to Kashmir, stormed the euro tunnel, or even if he even existed...but think it funny you are inferring that Thai superstition is over the top to a Christian whose whole faith is founded on a ghost....555555555

He didn't infer that. Only your small minded outlook on religion saw something that wasn't there.....perhaps you think you are a greater power by taking the piss out of others beliefs. 555555 means laughter.....nothing funny about you or what you have to say.

I suggest you look up the various definitions of the word "isolate" assuming of course you can read. It is obvious you have no idea of the context the word is used in. When you get educated lets have a chat

I suggest you look up the various definitions of the word "isolate" assuming of course you can read. It is obvious you have no idea of the context the word is used in. When you get educated lets have

I can read and the context in which you used the word has only one meaning.....the be cut off from everyone and everything else. In case you have trouble reading I will capitalize for you...MORON

Maybe he can go sit in the hallway or corner when this happens....or buy a pair of noise canceling headphones........

Oh ....and teach him how to fight as he will be picked on beyond belief.

In English I would call that utter crap. ( for want of a better word ) I've taught at Buddhist, Christian and Muslim schools.......you're talking shit, mate.

Edited by lonexpat

BestofAthens,

This is probably not the best forum to get responses from. I know for a fact that atheists do not teach what you said they do. YOU ARE WRONG ON THIS ONE. For one things where would atheists teach this in the first place. It is not an organized cult like religions are in their temples with their false idols.

If you do not want to be criticized then go to the best place to get your answers. You are in Thailand, a land with strict guidelines on saving national heritage and preserving their culture. Public schools are controlled by the government on what they have to teach just like public institutions in most countries. You do not go in and just dictate your personal beliefs on the public system.

If you want to ask someone who can give you the best and conclusive answer, then go to the school where your child will be attending and ask there...Forget these type of questions on this forum. You open yourself up to appropriate flaggelation and ridicule for your archaic thinking and beleifs. Either that, or pay to have your kid go to a private school where you may have more of a say, or better yet, leave Thailand altogether and go back to your beloved Greece. Open up your mind and allow your child to come out of the cave of ignorance and learn about the world that we live in and not one that does not exist and never has.

Adapt and be flexible in another culture. When will you religious zealots figure out that your time has come and gone with the ancient Trojans of the past.

More people have been killed in the name of their god than any other cause of murder. Get a clue and join the 22nd century....(we are already moving rapidly toward an englightenment of the coming centruy.)

Hello everybody.

My family is Christian (Eastern Orthodox). We have a two years old daughter and soon she will need to go to school. My question is how will I be able to gain an exemption from participation to all the activities and teaching that are focused in Buddhism?

Has anyone a previous experience?

Thanks

Yes,just go back to your country that has education system not focused on Buddhism and enrol your kids to that schools.

Thailand it is a Buddhist county that both of us have chosen to live in,Buddhist county education system do have roots in budda teaching and that is normal requirement,you may ask your self different question ;way did you move to different country with kids ready to begin school and parents that are not ready to let their children learn and explore their own way in THEIR own life ,isn't that you should asked Your self?

Facts : Buddhism it is NOT religion,it is harmony of living.

Wrong is to forced anyone,specially your own children to believe in any religion,instead you should be happy that there is opportunIty for them to learn and understand life outside of box.

Btw ,I'm coming from Christian orthodox family with grate exemption,my open mind parents that I do own who I am today,letting me having knowledge of different ways but letting me decide one that is my.

Honestly,you should not be afraid to let your kids to learn more and new and different.

But if you are still afraid that Buddhism will have bad influence on your children there is still first answer as choice.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

It's true that jesus did not leave Nazareth and worked as a carpenter.

For 2 years, when Jesus was between the ages of19 and 21, a Buddhist monk who, like the wise men, had come from the East lodged with Jesus and his family.

Like the wise men he had seen a sign that led him to Jesus

After he had told Jesus about the teachings of Buddha he returned to the blissful obscurity from whence he had come.

I know all this is true because a burning bush told me so. Easy isn't it?

I think the answer to your question is to go and make appointment with your child's school administration officer and see if it is at all possible to exempt your child based on your religious beliefs.

I'm sure if it is possible they may allow it if not, then you may want to consider another school; home schooling or move to a Christian country or a country that doesn't promote religious studies in the school curriculum.

She didn't ask for an argument about which religion is best. People should stick to the topic of the post.

My partner is Buddhist, I work with Muslims and I have a Christian background.

I have taught my child to respect all religions. When attending a Muslim school my child was exempt from the religious activities, but did learn quite a lot about the religion itself.

Now we attend a Buddhist school.

My child must sit for an hour every morning to practice Buddhism. And attend many temple events including overnight stays of 2 to 4 days. My child has not learned science except for 2 weeks at the beginning of term.

I would be happy for my child to learn about Buddhism once a week.

But currently it takes up a large percentage of learning time. I have recently started to take steps. I did not allow my child to go on overnight stays.

I allow my child to go to some temple events but not all. On those days, I keep my child home. We study math, science and English because they have no time for it at school.

The head teacher has made a note, we are not Buddhist. I will know how our GPA is effected at the end of term. I am worried about the 1 hour morning brainwash. Not quite sure what to do about it. I would like some constructive also.

She didn't ask for an argument about which religion is best. People should stick to the topic of the post.

My partner is Buddhist, I work with Muslims and I have a Christian background.

I have taught my child to respect all religions. When attending a Muslim school my child was exempt from the religious activities, but did learn quite a lot about the religion itself.

Now we attend a Buddhist school.

My child must sit for an hour every morning to practice Buddhism. And attend many temple events including overnight stays of 2 to 4 days. My child has not learned science except for 2 weeks at the beginning of term.

I would be happy for my child to learn about Buddhism once a week.

But currently it takes up a large percentage of learning time. I have recently started to take steps. I did not allow my child to go on overnight stays.

I allow my child to go to some temple events but not all. On those days, I keep my child home. We study math, science and English because they have no time for it at school.

The head teacher has made a note, we are not Buddhist. I will know how our GPA is effected at the end of term. I am worried about the 1 hour morning brainwash. Not quite sure what to do about it. I would like some constructive also.

Interesting.....this really worries me about my one year old's future, spending an hour a day on religion (couldn't care less what religion) is excessive imo.

I would rather she was taught the idealism's of ALL religions and take it ALL "with a pinch of salt"...learning skills and knowledge that is actually going to help her become a balanced, intelligent and intellectual individual.

If this is "undocumented" how do you know?

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

It's true that jesus did not leave Nazareth and worked as a carpenter.

For 2 years, when Jesus was between the ages of19 and 21, a Buddhist monk who, like the wise men, had come from the East lodged with Jesus and his family.

Like the wise men he had seen a sign that led him to Jesus

After he had told Jesus about the teachings of Buddha he returned to the blissful obscurity from whence he had come.

I know all this is true because a burning bush told me so. Easy isn't it?

Yeah you're right. Burning bush can make you highly delirious. It's also contagious but will settle down after a while

Edited by Linzz

and at the same time he was visiting Glastonbury in the UK, what is your reason for saying that Jesus lived in Kashmir or is it just a folk tale like Glastonbury

Glastonbury is an undocumented claim. but that he visited Scotland and liked haggis is a fact crazy.gif

and at the same time he was visiting Glastonbury in the UK, what is your reason for saying that Jesus lived in Kashmir or is it just a folk tale like Glastonbury

Glastonbury is an undocumented claim. but that he visited Scotland and liked haggis is a fact crazy.gif

Aye, the Jewish influence can still be seen today, that's why they are so tight fisted north of the boarder.

Learning is will not harm for sure...

But participating to the morning prayers and Buddhist celebration is something that I simply do not wish for my children to have...

pony up for a christian or non-denominational school.

Learning is will not harm for sure...

But participating to the morning prayers and Buddhist celebration is something that I simply do not wish for my children to have...

I taught at five different Thai schools and not ONCE did ANY student perform any religious ceremonies. The only thing they did was participate on Songkran, and it was quite benign - they just lined up and poured water over the teachers' hands.

Question : a) Celebrating the birthdays of King and Queen have or not participation of monks? cool.png Camps where the kids stay one week at the temple are or not religious activities?

Happens to know because they take place in my school...

perhaps you should ask about exemption at your your school.

i personally would not go to such great lengths to earmark my children as different, but hey they are your kids.

i do truly wonder how peoples attitudes would change were the children to attend classes with a Muslim slant.

to be quite honest i have no issue with Buddhism in this context, but would certainly have my misgivings over a Muslim curriculum, hypocrite that i am.

Interesting what you can claim from undocumented years.

Errrrrrm.........I think the OP has left the building already.

I'm checking and if some useful reply rises I will keep it in mind. I leave space for those who live for the forum! wai2.gif

You are living in a primarily Buddhist country; hence the Buddhist education and rituals.

If yours is the best religion, then try some religious tolerance.

Sorry to burst the bubble. It's not just Glastonbury and Kashmir.smile.png

Pattaya? ohmy.png

who cares, really get a life, it's just the same rubbish with a different theme, although one could say if you really and truly are a religious nu... i mean person, you could view true Buddhism as a philosophy and not a religion, whatever, your child will grow up in a world full of conflicting views and will be indoctrinated by,not the religion,but the government system under which she lives. Get off of your soap box, religion isn't important in the age of reason

100 % on topic... it is your opinion make another thread to expose it.

That's what the forum is for, to express an opinion, no need to get your knickers in a twist, turn the other cheek, i wont cut your ear off but even if i did you would know who could stick it back on for you.

This becomes offensive and personal... I could reply in the same style but I wish to end it here as it seems worthless to discuss with you... I will obey the Moderator and end it here. However I can understand that "bullying" exist into this forum...

bullying? you would have to win, the lord of hosts is with you

I'm an atheist/agnostic/deist and I think this is a 'bunch of malarky' as well. I don't think any real atheist would suggest that Jesus spent time in Kashmir. Most atheist put a premium on evidence, and I'm not aware of any convincing evidence for this story.