Thai Transport Min: High-speed train project made significant progress

webfact

High-speed train project made significant progress

BANGKOK, 29 July 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport has revealed that the construction project for a high-speed train between Bangkok and Chiang Mai province has made significant progress.

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said the 672-km high-speed railway is a collaborative effort between Thailand and Japan.

The island country has hired a construction company to provide additional design advice to the existing blueprint made by the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning.

Mr. Arkhom said Japan is placing great emphasis on safety, as it will be the first time a railway system outside of the country is being modeled after the Shinkansen.

Japan is suggesting that it be built as an extension to the regular railway. The Transport Minister admitted that it would change plans for land expropriation.

Another meeting over the speed railway development will be held in Japan late next month. The complete construction plan is expected to be completed and ready for Cabinet approval in June next year. Construction will begin approximately in two years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-29 footer_n.gif

It is amazing what you can do when you dispense with tiresome things like comprehensive environmental impact and financial feasibility studies. However, I refuse to believe that they are really making significant progress until they release the design of the pre-packed lunch boxes!

If they use Thai labor for the construction, you can be sure that's one train I'll never ride on.

Fair enough, but this is Thailand. What other labour do you think they'll use? Certainly not Japanese, too expensive. Certainly not westerners either, just as expensive if not more so than Japanese. So that only leaves Thais and maybe Burmese, Lao and Cambodians to do the more dirty labour intensive work. I can see some Japanese or westerners (or perhaps both) overseeing the construction, but out of say 10,000 workers, there might be say 10-20 foreigners with the vast majority being Thais and in the case of labour shortages, labour from the 3 aforementioned neighboring countries would be used.

Thai labour law wouldn't even allow it to be any other way.

Significant progress! They have a blueprint.

You're a bit optimistic - maybe all they have have is a map showing BKK's & Chiang Mai's locations.

Maybe they'll end up suggesting the line end in Phitsanulok like was proposed under the previous government. So then we would have a train to nowhere (who would want to only go as far as Phitsanulok?) and then you can ride on the existing line up to Chiang Mai, with a high possibility of derailment or catch a bus or van or something, or perhaps rent a car. By that stage you'll be wishing you either drove all the way from Bangkok or just caught a flight to Chiang Mai. Too much hassle if the train only gets you halfway to your intended destination.

If they use Thai labor for the construction, you can be sure that's one train I'll never ride on.

Fair enough, but this is Thailand. What other labour do you think they'll use? Certainly not Japanese, too expensive. Certainly not westerners either, just as expensive if not more so than Japanese. So that only leaves Thais and maybe Burmese, Lao and Cambodians to do the more dirty labour intensive work. I can see some Japanese or westerners (or perhaps both) overseeing the construction, but out of say 10,000 workers, there might be say 10-20 foreigners with the vast majority being Thais and in the case of labour shortages, labour from the 3 aforementioned neighboring countries would be used.

The Japanese could supervise, using foreign labour to build the railway...

Wait...I'm sure I saw a movie like this already...

Bridge over the River Kwai...haha yeah, but I don't think the Death Railway will be replicated anytime soon. Japan's wartime ambitions are long gone.

They've only just announced this morning that survey work will start.....that will take 1 year.....resume land and relocate people/villages......court cases..disputes.....~2 years and finally construction and commissioning...3-4 years.

2022 we may see a train......:) but doubtful!!

I the Japanese oversea construction and deal with all safety issues then I will happily ride the Train.

if Thais handle it without the Japanese I will not ride it Simple

Japanese are the best with trains. For that matter the best in Most things they do.

I have great respect for the Japanese . Been there a couple of times and have nothing but

praise for the Japanese People

Unlike the Tinker Toy Chinese trains on the BTS which still can't stop or start without an attempt to throw one onto the floor. Not to mention the loud motors, probably screaming for help!

I the Japanese oversea construction and deal with all safety issues then I will happily ride the Train.

if Thais handle it without the Japanese I will not ride it Simple

Japanese are the best with trains. For that matter the best in Most things they do.

I have great respect for the Japanese . Been there a couple of times and have nothing but

praise for the Japanese People

Even if its made in Thailand and made by Japs but maintained by Thais I still would never take a chance with my life. Killing myself would be with less suffering than dying from incompetence.

They've only just announced this morning that survey work will start.....that will take 1 year.....resume land and relocate people/villages......court cases..disputes.....~2 years and finally construction and commissioning...3-4 years.

Forgot delays from corruption, cost overruns, political interference, change of government, perhaps twice. Add 5 years.

2022 we may see a train......smile.png but doubtful!!

Forgot delays from corruption, cost overruns, political interference, change of government, perhaps twice. Add 5 years.

... and the need to build a new building to be able to archive all paperwork produced by consecutive governments. wink.png

Grunt labour properly managed and supervised by skilled project managers and gang bosses (foreign or foreign-trained) works fine - e.g. Toyota, Honda, Korean, German etc factories in Thailand.

Personally I would trust the Japs to get this right. No-one knows the Thais and their weaknesses better (many hundreds of thou Japs throughout Thailand doing this for many years. No nation has worked harder at getting this combo right.

Thank god it's not a Chinese-Thai project!

Edited by SantiSuk

It will be completed in 2562... According our calendar...

Bridge over the River Kwai...haha yeah, but I don't think the Death Railway will be replicated anytime soon. Japan's wartime ambitions are long gone.

You hope !