Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

Just completed my upgrade too, really disappointed with the graphics driver, it does not let you use the Nvidia drivers, and the screen on my LCD is blurred, the "truetype" makes no difference.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and the screen was perfect, 10 minutes later Win 10 kicked it out and reinstalled the Microsoft junk.

Now Photoshop will not run using the graphics card acceleration, Garmin Maps only open in 2D (Due to graphics card issues)

It has completely wiped all of my "Favourites" that were stored in IE, not impressed. Typical Microsoft, half baked again. Amazing how it can import all of the favourites from Google Chrome, but trashed all of the favourites I had in IE!

Apart from that it does not look too bad, take a while to get used to it.

A couple of gripes about the jet black task bar at the bottom of the display, cannot seem to find how to change the colour. The font shading on the desktop icons is also annoying.

The main gripe is the Nvidia drivers, the original MS fonts were completely blurred.

I can see a bit of a fight breaking out here with graphics drivers, MS are clearly incapable of getting the best performance, yet disable and hijack the OEM drivers.

It appears too that the CUDA Engine for Mercury Playback in Premiere Pro no longer works too! I think MS will be getting some hate mail on this alone.

You can use this to stop the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running Outlook 2013 and don't see any problems.

And I had IE11 installed and it's still there and working, so I'm guessing somewhere you must be able to find a link for it.

Have you tried installing it in compatibility mode?

Regarding IE11...I stand corrected, it's still on the computer after the Win10 upgrade....I just found it....stupid me. So now I have Chrome, IE11, and Edge on the computer.

But I I still can't get Outlook to send email...just gets stuck in the outbox and errors when it tries to send. Have double, tripled checked my account settings and tried variations...nothing has helped so far....as mentioned earlier a Test Message from the account setup area goes out no problem....it's just when using Outlook normally the mail won't leave the Outbox...just errors out. Does it when trying to send to or from my gmail.com, live.com, or outlook.com email accounts.

I even tried turning off my Norton 360 firewall/antivirus to see if the mail would go out...that didn't help. Googling this problems shows many folks have had this issue on all versions of Outlook over the years...and it seems like the possible solution vary all over the map...so far, none of them have worked for me. And as mentioned I can send from the MS Mail software.

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

A fool and his money are soon parted. After a year it's 120 bucks.

How much is your time worth per hour: recovering files and reloading the OS and patching and responding to fraud threats, etc etc., mine's worth loads, even in retirement!

Must confess I have more time than money.

Don't spend either responding to fraud threats though.

So wait 364 days :-)

Hit the 3 dots icon top right, in Edge, you get the option to open In IE.

Thanks that works. I had saw that earlier but the selection to Open with IE was greyed-out along with some other selections. Playing with it, it's greyed out only when going to the opening page that Edge defaults to, however, when going to another webpage like Cnn.com the selections are no longer greyed-out and I can select Open with IE.

Tricks of Win 10 trade I'm learning. I just wish I could fix the Outlook outgoing mail problem which started with the upgrade to Win 10.

OK, found my first issue after the upgrade...is problem is when using MS Outook 365/2003 or Outlook 2007. Outgoing email won't leave the outbox...you get an error when sending (i.e., I can not send email from Outlook)...incoming email via Outlook still works.

I then tried sending from MS Mail and the email goes out no problem.

Doing some googling I see email getting stuck in the Outlook outbox is not a new problem....been occurring for years. Now need to find a fix for this issue.

If not a IMAP account then it's likely an SMTP port/security-type issue, or a firewall software issue.

Yea, I'm not using IMAP but POP. When going into the Outlook setup where your enter your email accounts it will Send and Receive a message when pressing the Test Account icon. But when in Outlook using it normally, it just will not send. Strange it will Send the Test Account message in the account setup area, but will not send when using Outlook normally.

I also figured out IE11 is gone...replaced with Edge. I didn't know Edge would replace IE11. Chrome is my primary browser but I used IE11 as my secondary browser. When I tried to download/install IE11 the MS download site said Sorry, IE is not compatible with your operating system (ie.., Win 10).

You shouldn't need to download it, as it's already there in Accessories....oh you found it. smile.png

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

Interesting. Methinks I will keep my perfectly functioning Win 7 Pro.

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

Interesting. Methinks I will keep my perfectly functioning Win 7 Pro.

Adobe deserves to be disabled.

Paranoia you can (option) leave to Black Sabbath.

Here's a good article to read before you run to upgrade to Windows 10. Basically, it advises you to wait until June/July next year to let all the bugs get worked out.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

For anyone who's already got a stable and modern OS running on their main machine, that's certainly the guidance that I'd follow -- wait a month or two, and see what shakes out.

I admire Pib for his sense of adventure. But I'd rather wait and let others experience the inevitable new OS surprises and headaches.

After all, for anyone currently running Win 7 or Wion 8, Win 10 is going to be FREE regardless of when you install it anytime from today and for the next 12 months.

My notebook has a 1 terabyte hard drive with 3 partitions; C: = 100 gig, D: = 800 gig and E: = 100 gig. Until today, I had Windows 7 x64 installed on both C: & E: drives. The reason is that if C: drive copy of Windows gets infected with a virus, or in some other way ‘locks up’, I can simply restart the computer and boot off drive E:.

Anyway, I installed Windows 10 x64 on drive E: today. Now when I start my computer, I have the option of loading Windows 7 or Windows 10.

It’s too soon for me to offer an assessment of Windows 10 except to respond to the following:-

menzies233 - Just completed my upgrade too, really disappointed with the graphics driver, it does not let you use the Nvidia drivers

I’m in the same boat. Windows 10 won’t run my Nvidia driver. I’ll wait for Nvidia to release an updated driver or a patch.

hugh2121 - They disabled my pirated Office software so I downloaded Libre Office for free

You could also try Ashampoo Office. It’s free for private use and has absolutely faultless integration with my gigabytes of old Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.

Here's a good article to read before you run to upgrade to Windows 10. Basically, it advises you to wait until June/July next year to let all the bugs get worked out.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

For anyone who's already got a stable and modern OS running on their main machine, that's certainly the guidance that I'd follow -- wait a month or two, and see what shakes out.

I admire Pib for his sense of adventure. But I'd rather wait and let others experience the inevitable new OS surprises and headaches.

After all, for anyone currently running Win 7 or Wion 8, Win 10 is going to be FREE regardless of when you install it anytime from today and for the next 12 months.

You have to remember that many of us have had this for months.

And in that time I've found one bug that had an easy workaround.

I have it on four PCs and a Windows update on all of them shows nothing to download.

So I'm guessing last weeks 10240 was WTM and therefore the final version.

Well, it's my bedtime. Spent the last hour or so opening and briefly playing with all my programs....they all work with the exception of Outlook not "Sending" email...the email gets stuck in the outbox....but Receiving email works fine...not a new problem from my googling...happens sometimes on "any" Windows operating system you happen to be running...I give some of the recommended fixes a try tomorrow. This ain't' the first issue I've had with Outlook over the many years I've used it. The Windows Mail program sends email fine. It's an Outlook issue I will work....maybe a Outlook Profile issue...I'll work it tomorrow.

Saw a few posts about NVIDA drivers not working for some....I have a Nivida GT-740M chip in my laptop and according to the GeForce snapshot it updated today with a 29 July release after the Win 10 install.

post-55970-0-07777400-1438185137_thumb.j

Yeap, still the easiest, least problematic (by a long shot) operating system upgrade I've ever done. I upgraded from Win 8.1. And to repeat from my opening post, programs definitely open faster...and the computer boots up a little faster also....under Win 8.1 it was already a fast booter (like around 15 seconds), but it's a few seconds faster now.

Upgraded, it kept the contents of my recycle bin, my Firefox history and saved log in details and I am straight back to watching the cricket after 20 minutes of update time.

Imptessive! Now just need to check my Skype, camera and mic work and I am all ready for tomorrow.

It does seem that 10240 was the RTM version. Since I installed it last week, I've only had security updates and an update to the AMD video driver.

BTW, I think that Adobe CS 3 needs to be updated for Win 10. Microsoft does have an upgrade diagnostic that will let you know which of your installed programs will need to be updated. Acrobat XI runs fine. I've had no problems so far but prefer the Chrome browser to Edge. All in all a fine new OS.

I have it on four PCs and a Windows update on all of them shows nothing to download.

Yeah, but the problem with that is, your PCs are not the same as everyone else's. So your particular experience can't automatically be extended to what everyone else here might encounter.

Different hardware, different software, different drivers, etc etc. The sure way to see what bugs are going to crop up is to WAIT a bit until not just Chicog but many millions more of Chicogs have already installed and started using Win 10 on their machines after the launch of the public release now.

I mean, really, for someone who already has a perfectly good version of Win 7 or Win 8 running on their machine, what's the rush??? Especially if we're talking about people's main computing device, not just an extra PC laying around the house that someone wants to experiment with.

We've already waited this long for the public release of Win 10. Since pricing now isn't a factor, I really don't see any compelling reason for Win 7/8 users to go rushing into the void on release day.

I've used this for months anyway via "insider preview" versions and all My software works...

Today I got the official version and it still just works like always...

They're was always a rollback to previous option if they're was problems so I don't see the point in waiting etc...

if this windows 10 is the final version I might as well get used to it and even better if it doesn't cost anything :)

The laptop I put it on was sold with free "Thai" software and I expected problems but there were none so I'll update if the wheels fall off but so far so good...

Yeah, but the problem with that is, your PCs are not the same as everyone else's. So your particular experience can't automatically be extended to what everyone else here might encounter.

Different hardware, different software, different drivers, etc etc. The sure way to see what bugs are going to crop up is to WAIT a bit until not just Chicog but many millions more of Chicogs have already installed and started using Win 10 on their machines after the launch of the public release now.

I mean, really, for someone who already has a perfectly good version of Win 7 or Win 8 running on their machine, what's the rush??? Especially if we're talking about people's main computing device, not just an extra PC laying around the house that someone wants to experiment with.

We've already waited this long for the public release of Win 10. Since pricing now isn't a factor, I really don't see any compelling reason for Win 7/8 users to go rushing into the void on release day.

Yeah, this issue gets further complicated for us in Thailand, who have several machines, in various states of legal and pirate. I have a new laptop with legal 8.1, but has some pirated software I needed immediately. I'll wait and then upgrade that one later. I can't afford to have glitches on that one. I have a quite new all-in-one that is running pirated windows 7 (updates disabled). and other pirated office software, etc, That's a home office computer, so maybe willing to experiment with the free amnesty offer, etc.. I have a desktop with legal 8.1 same as laptop, but more legal stuff on it.

So, mixed bag of tricks, some legal, some not, and mostly worried about keeping productive software operating, though can always run down and buy legal copies in a pinch.

I am keeping Win7. I am running win10 in a virtualbox. For those who have not tried it, it is easy and the net is full with useful tips. So far, I have seen no value in running Win10. Another example of giving the consumer something they dont need; in this case, for microsoft to set up a fairly enclosed but financially useful monopoly as Apple has done with their system and Apps.

With respect to Win 10, I believe it is something they need rather than you.

They want to get rid of those needy lower Windows users, like me. quite content here using Vista!

BTW, there's also some issues about Win 10 in terms of features.

For example, Win 10 does away with (kills) Windows Media Center functionality, so if anyone's still using that and wants to continue using that on their machines, they should NOT upgrade to 10, AFAIK.

Microsoft rolls out Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 users who used to have Media Center

Back in May, Microsoft confirmed that it was killing off Windows Media Center, with no further updates on the way, and no direct replacement in Windows 10, which officially launched today. Media Center had significantly declined in usage in its later days, and Microsoft said that the few people who still used it relied on it mostly for DVD playback.

With consumers increasingly shunning DVDs in favor of streaming and downloads, Microsoft could have simply left those users high and dry, but it promised instead to offer an alternative solution for playing DVDs on Windows 10 later in the year.

As Windows 10 begins its rollout today, that solution is now available, in the form of a new Windows DVD Player app, as Mary Jo Foley reports.

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, or Windows 8/8.1 with Media Center or Pro Pack, your PC will be eligible to install the new app free of charge. But rather than downloading it from the Store, as with most apps, Windows DVD Player will be automatically downloaded to your PC for you when you upgrade to Windows 10.

MORE:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks that works. I had saw that earlier but the selection to Open with IE was greyed-out along with some other selections. Playing with it, it's greyed out only when going to the opening page that Edge defaults to, however, when going to another webpage like Cnn.com the selections are no longer greyed-out and I can select Open with IE.

Tricks of Win 10 trade I'm learning. I just wish I could fix the Outlook outgoing mail problem which started with the upgrade to Win 10.

Have you tried deleting the problematic account? Might be the easiest way. Then create it again.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6135-mail-app-add-delete-account-windows-10-a.html

Have you tried deleting the problematic account? Might be the easiest way. Then create it again.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6135-mail-app-add-delete-account-windows-10-a.html

Thanks my problem is with Outlook program and not the Mail program that comes built into Windows.

However, I did just go delete the Mail account I had setup in Mail yesterday so I could send some email since Outlook was not letting me....wanted to see if that might fix my Outlook sending problem but it didn't. Thanks again for the suggestion,

As for the new Edge browser built into Win 10, Thurrott.com notes:

Unfortunately, Edge is also unfinished. A promised Chrome-compatible add-on system won’t ship until this fall, so you can’t use ad blockers, password systems like LastPass, and the like. And many features you expect from IE—like the ability to pin web pages to the taskbar, or save a web page as a shortcut—are simply missing. It will only get better over time, but this is one of the few major new Windows 10 features that doesn’t seem fully baked yet.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4896/windows-10-review

just did the upgrade as well and spent the last 3 hours sorting through this giant. all default settings leave your privacy 100% behind. w10 and its apps wants access to everything on your computer: photos, documents, emails, microphone, camera - you name it. it also disabled my very good and reliable kaspersky virus protection and replaced it with a microsoft version.

other than that it looks not much different from w8.1 and some of the notiification windows actually remind of the good old xp!

strongly suggest, if you decide to install, go through it (action centre icon bottom right next to date / time, than click 'all settings') and look at EVERYTHING and change what you are uncomfortable with.

Alternatively, when the box comes up saying 'your Windows 10 is ready for download', do what I did and ignore it smile.png

Had Windows 8.1 - detested it - especially homepage touch-like screen.

Changed to Windows 7 Pro - very easy in all ways.

The new Super Windows 10 - reaction in this regard?

Start menu is back,

And settings are conveniently put at the touch of a button in the task bar.

But 8.1. restored the desktop, so why did you stick with the "Metro" UI?

Start menu is back,

The windows 7 shell solves all your problems with 8.1. I mostly ignore 8.1 on my machines running it.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Start menu is back,

Chicog

"Metro UI" - no comprehendo!

All I can do is reiterate my previous post.

Those who enjoyed W 7 but detested W 8, how will they "live" with W 10?

I'm currently downloading a 32 and a 64 bit version, keep it as long as I feel it's time to try it. My W 7 runs quite well, why should I create my own headache, if I can just wait and see what others experience?

And thanks for the link.

If you purchase a PC in Thailand, how can you detect whether installed programs are legit - no copy?

It is assumed that the CD of the program is not attached to the PC.

How can MS do same?

Edited by fang37

And you will be stopped quickly when you have a Win7 key from a "preactivated" version (manipulation in the BIOS for OEMs).

Key will not be accepted ("something wrong...").

I'm curious when the special price Win10 licenses will surface at Thai shops.