Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edge is fine, for what it is: a work in progress. Consider it a beta of what Edge will become. Lacks many features we take for granted with other modern browsers, like plug-ins/extensions, "paste-and-go" for URLs, etc.

I suspect that once Microsoft finally gets around to finishing it, it will compete well against Chrome.

Edge is fine, for what it is: a work in progress. Consider it a beta of what Edge will become. Lacks many features we take for granted with other modern browsers, like plug-ins/extensions, "paste-and-go" for URLs, etc.

I suspect that once Microsoft finally gets around to finishing it, it will compete well against Chrome.

I'm not as confident as you about that.

Google Chrome was first released in September 2008, so they've had 7 years of head-to-head competition and failed. By contrast, Internet Explorer was first released in 1994, so they've had over 20 years to get it right. By rights they should be light years ahead of any competition. The only reason anyone uses it is because it comes bundled with the operating system.

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung Magician 4.8 has just been released and it now supports Rapid Mode under Win 10. Thanks to MikeWill for giving me the heads-up this mornings.

I updated from 4.7 to 4.8 and enabled Rapid Mode on my Lenovo laptop running Win 10 Pro with a 840EVO SSD 500GB system this morning....only took about a minute to download and updated to. Here's the download link for Magician 4.8 and other Samsung SSD utilities.....or you can just click the "Download S/W and Manual" link in your Magician program.

Below are a few snapshots identifying the changes from Magician 4.7 to 4.8 and some benchmark comparisons with and without Rapid Mode enabled.

Magician 4.8 changes

post-55970-0-48703600-1445913201_thumb.j

Magician Benchmark Without and With Rapid Mode Enabled on my 840EVO 500GB SSD

post-55970-0-55069000-1445913337_thumb.j

CrystalDiskMark 5 Benchmark Without and With Rapid Mode Enabled on my 840EVO 500GB SSD

post-55970-0-08868000-1445913351_thumb.j

Oh yea, I just remembered in two more days I will have been running Win 10 for 3 months since its public release on 29 July....Win 10 is working fine for me...glad I upgraded from the get-go. Your results may (will) vary. But I can't argue with those folks who recommend waiting X-months of a new OS's release before upgrading because there is wisdom in that recommendation.

And I'm glad I now have Samsung SSD Rapid Mode back. Samsung should have been more on the ball in getting this software utility updated to "fully" work with Win 10 but I guess they didn't want to release an updated Magician utility until the official version of Win 10 hit the streets since the pre-release Win 10 version was changing frequently. I say "fully" work because the utility did work with Win 10 with the exception of the Rapid Mode feature (a nice-to-have but not required feature) which now works with Magician Ver 4.8.

• 3 weeks later...

Samsung Magician 4.9 is now available on the Samsung support site...it just says some improvements to 4.8 have been included and support added for 750 EVO SSD. Installed fine. Thanks to MikeWill for the heads up.

Also been on Win 10 for a little over 100 days now...working fine.

If your laptop is 'locking up' and freezing then you've still got incompatible driver issues, especially if the laptop works fine when booted under Win 7 / 8.1

At some point it's likely to corrupt a write process at a critical moment. Maybe just leave a corrupted temp file, worse it may corrupt a vital OS file and prevent the system from booting. I'd spend my time searching to get it rectified, or resign myself to re-installing 7 or 8.1 and having a stable working environment.

I do not wish to reload W 7. I am staying with W 10.

How do detect "incompatible drivers"?

Sometime Windows will let you know it encountered 'incompatible drivers' when it has to disable something on startup.

Also, check System Device Manager and look for the yellow triangles.

The other way Windows will let you know there are incompatible drivers is by freezing, locking up, and timing out.

The 'diagnostics' is usually done though process of elimination. So, either work from a "Fresh Install" that works 100% and start adding in your stuff and stop when you can reproduce the problems ...or, work with the current problematic system and start removing the things you've added and continue removing until you get to a system that boots and operates fine.

Caveat: This will take a lot of time, and the incompatibility may be transitory and difficult to consistently reproduce, or may be due to multiple conditions of stuff you've added that conflict with each other.

I just finished diagnosing a Windows 10 black screen boot issue ...where I spent 2 hours a day (average) over the last two month trying to find the cause ...only to finally discover that Microsoft was causing the error, by writing an error flag, that they never clear, which causes the OS to always shutdown in error and prevent it from booting properly. Makes me stabby. Manually clearing the error flag and forcing Device Manager to update/refresh fixes my problem.

Regarding the big November upgrade to Win 10 (i.e.., from ver 10240 to ver 10576) that some people refer to as Threshold or the first Service Pack I did some googling and I saw that lots of folks were complaining about not receiving the upgrade while still continuing to receive standard Windows security/driver updates--a category I fell in. And there were plenty of webpages taking the issue. And just to be clear I not talking the upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8.X to Win 10, I'm talking a major upgrade to Win 10 itself. Here's a webpage that discusses the "new features" in the Win 10 upgrade ver 10576.

Also found some websites discussing the three reasons Microsoft said people may not receive the upgrade immediately or at all (see this webpage for the three reasons). None of those three reasons applied to me. I clicked Windows Check for Updates a few more times last night and this morning and it continued to say I was up to date but I was still on ver 10240...I just wasn't being offered the upgrade for some unknown reason. I get regular Windows security/driver updates no problem; it's just I had not got the Win 10 upgrade ver 10576 yet which is supposed to occur via normal Windows updates/OTA. Maybe there was some Microsoft download server queue system in play for the upgrade to arrive your computer via the normal Windows update/OTA...I don't know.

So, this morning I decided to try the method given at several websites which uses the Windows Upgrade and Media Center Tool since I convinced myself I may not receive the upgrade due to some unknown reason/glitch. If it didn't' work I would just reload my image backup. See this webpage for how to do it which is as mentioned is nothing more than an upgrade using the Win 10 using Microsoft's Upgrade and Media Creator Tool. It's not a Clean Install...you don't lose your apps or settings. Well, it might remove any app which has an issue with the upgrade because I had one app removed...a small Freeware program called CPU-Z. But I just redownloaded/reinstalled CPU-Z no problem...it works fine. At the end of the upgrade process Windows will tell you if any removed any of your apps. I expect any app removal is by exception especially if you are all ready running Win 10 like I was...specifically I was running Win 10 Pro.

Anyway, I started a little after 7am this morning and right a 8am the upgrade was done. Over half of that time was spent downloading the upgrade files which is basically downloading all Windows files needed like you were upgrading from Win 7 or Win 8.X. A lot more files than if you got the upgrade normally via Windows Update/OTA. So, if you have a slow internet connection (I only have a 15Mb connection here in Bangkok), how loaded the Microsoft servers may be, and depending on the horsepower your computer has (I have a Lenovo i7 CPU based laptop) it may take a longer or shorter time than what it took me. I was not upgrading from Win 7 or Win 8.X as I was already running Win 10 Pro ver 10240 which was version released back on 29 Jul 15 when Win 10 was initially released to the public.

And since some people who when originally upgraded from Win 7 Pro or Win 8.X Pro a few months ago ended up being only upgraded to Win 7 Home or Win 8.X Home the upgrade this morning properly identified I was running Win 10 Pro just before beginning the install and when it completed the upgrade I was still running my activated Win 10 Pro but ver 10576 now instead of the original ver 10240.

Summary: I now have the Win 10 upgrade as shown below...my Win 10 Pro is still activated....all appears to be fine after playing with it for around an hour....knock on wood (my head)...keeping my fingers crossed, etc.

post-55970-0-72077000-1447555120_thumb.j

Just to point out again briefly, see below weblink for a good overview of the Features, Changes, and Improvements in the Nov 15 major update/upgrade of Win 10...this upgrade has also been referred to as Threshold or Service Pack.

http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-10-fall-update

After giving the upgrade a pretty good workout today I haven't had any issues (knock on wood, fingers still cross, salt over the shoulder, etc). Time will tell.

Pib, when I checked my regular Windows 10 Home update function tonight, I got this update pop up, which seems a later version number than the one you mentioned above. This was on a Win 10 machine that I probably waited a month after the original Win 10 release to upgrade from Win 7, so I definitely wasn't at the front of the Win 10 original upgrade line. Got it when connected via a U.S. VPN, though I don't know whether that had any impact on the timing or not.

post-58284-0-04133300-1447606271_thumb.j

Pib, when I checked my regular Windows 10 Home update function tonight, I got this update pop up, which seems a later version number than the one you mentioned above. This was on a Win 10 machine that I probably waited a month after the original Win 10 release to upgrade from Win 7, so I definitely wasn't at the front of the Win 10 original upgrade line. Got it when connected via a U.S. VPN, though I don't know whether that had any impact on the timing or not.

attachicon.gifPS3451.jpg

Your image above shows the ver 10586 upgrade/update downloading to your computer ....that's the one I'm talking about. It also has a 1511 number/associated update but I just didn't mention that before since 10586 is generally what it's being referred to and what will show when doing a version check.

The version before that...the original one released to the public which you would have had on your computer is ver 10240. Now I'm talking Released To Public version and not any version/build number which folks involved in the beta testing may have got...they got the 10586 version before the general public due to their beta testing involvement....thanks to them hopefully the 10586 version being released to the public as we speak is a better product.

And assuming your update went OK if you select Run from your start icon, enter "Cmd", press enter, it will show your version number like 10.0.240 (the original...you haven't got the upgrade yet) or if your above update went OK it will show 10.0.10586.

Or, after typing Cmd and entering your command window and then you type "Systeminfo" it will give you more detailed info to include when you installed Windows. For example although Win 10 ver 10240 was originally installed on my computer on 29 Jul I used Windows Media Creation install to do a reinstall/refresh on 5 Aug...and that 5 Aug date is what Systeminfo showed as my Windows install date before I installed ver 10586 the other day. Now Systeminfo says my original install date was yesterday/15 Aug.

I tried the VPN U.S. IP address thing several times over the last several days...didn't make a difference....either I was still in the MS queue or maybe I wasn't going to get the upgrade for some unknown reason because the 3 known reasons didn't apply to me. And I might have still got the upgrade via the normal Windows update/OTA method but I guess I convinced myself I may not get it and will have to use the Windows Upgrade/Media Creation Tool which web magazine articles were talking about using. And fortunately, it worked fine for me....some others will surely have different results. If the upgrade hadn't worked properly I would have just reloaded a backup image since I've finally got in the habit of doing frequent images of my computer.

For anyone not comfortable in using the MS tool and/or don't have a very recent image backup, I would definitely wait and see if the upgrade shows up the normal Windows update way especially if your computer is working fine...I'm sure it will show up for the great, great majority of folks via the normal Windows OTA way, but I'm also pretty sure for some it will not show-up due to some the known reasons or "unknown (glitch)" reasons.

-10586 is still running smooth for me...knock on wood, keeping my fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder, etc....did another image back last night since I'm now running the upgrade.

Edited by Pib

My upgrade completed over the night while I was sleeping, and then I restarted the laptop this morning once I was up and around.

One weird thing, thus far, is that for some reason, when it restarted into the new version, the upgrade had my wifi turned off and set my networking to Airplane Mode (meaning no data). I say odd, because, last night when I started the upgrade, my wifi was on (as usual) and I don't think I've ever turned off Airplane mode on this laptop, which sits on a desk at home. So I'm perplexed why the system would come back in that kind of configuration. But, solved it by going into settings, turning off Airplane mode, and re-connecting to my wifi network.

PS Pib, I mentioned 10586 in my post above, because in your prior post #401, you had repeatedly referred to the Win 10 Threshold update as 10576... So you had me earlier wondering if maybe there was a different numbering scheme for Home vs Pro...

PS Pib, I mentioned 10586 in my post above, because in your prior post #401, you had repeatedly referred to the Win 10 Threshold update as 10576... So you had me earlier wondering if maybe there was a different numbering scheme for Home vs Pro...

Brain fart on my part...sorry...typing fingers and brain not in sync. I should have been saying 10586 but since 10576 was the version number on the Preview/beta version and which is talked about on a lot of websites, I got them intermixed in my brain. But the upgrade release to the general public is 10586 which is probably the beta 10576 version with a few tweaks/bugs fixed before released to the general public under 10586 which you just got and what I installed yesterday. I'm confusing myself again with all the five digit version numbers. Glad your upgrade went well. Fingers and brain signing off...time to take the wife on a Tesco Lotus run.

Re the availability of the latest Win 10 update:

After getting it via the regular Windows update download channel on my Win 10 laptop, and it didn't kill or otherwise too much malign my laptop, I decided I'd try Win Update on a desktop I have also running Win 10.

After running Win Update on the desktop, the first time, it showed only a security definitions update. But after I ran and installed that, and then ran Win Update again, it produced the Win 10 Threshold update offer. So I proceeded to install that on the desktop. I should note, the desktop through this entire process just had a local Thai ISP connection, not VPN'd.

In both cases, my laptop and desktop did NOT automatically notify/install re the Threshold update. I had to manually run Win Update, install any other available updates first, and then the machines proceeded to show and/or install the Threshold update.

As I noted above, both machines were NOT among the first, early adopters of Win 10, since I waited a month or more for both of them after Win 10's initial release. One was VPN'd, but the other wasn't. However, both are registered as U.S.-based systems in the MS ecosystem. So, who knows what method they're using to stagger/queue the offering of the Threshold update to the 100+ million Win 10 machines out in the world.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

TallGuy,

Have a curiosity question to two since your Win 10 upgrade occurred via Windows Update/OTA vs the Windows refresh/upgrade method I used.

Q1: When going to the Command prompt and entering the "systeminfo" command did the Windows "Original Install Date" change to the date you did the update/upgrade or retain the date you originally installed Win 10? Mine did but it was suppose to using the method I used....just curious if the same happened for the method you used. I'm going to guess it did change the date.

Q2: In the Check for Updates, Advanced Options, View Your Update History did all you previous Windows updates listed in that area get reset and now it only shows updates since the upgrade? Once again, mine did but it was suppose to occur using the method I used...I knew this in advance...no big (or even little) deal for me. I don't want to guess on that answer.

Thanks.

My Acer Laptop did the 10586 update last night...

Original Install Date: 11/16/2015, 4:01:23 AM
System Boot Time: 11/16/2015, 3:48:58 AM
Update history is clean, though this is one update waiting to be installed so I'm off to let it do that.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3105211).
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688).
Oh look, the very first security update is for Flash Player, who would have guessed.

Thanks...yea, same for me...just the IE flash update in the updates history file. That was installed right after the upgrade to 10586 finished...nothing else since so far. Appears a person's update history and original install date are reset/wiped clean with the upgrade to 10586 regardless of method used to upgrade.

post-55970-0-81053700-1447658786_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

TallGuy,

Have a curiosity question to two since your Win 10 upgrade occurred via Windows Update/OTA vs the Windows refresh/upgrade method I used.

Q1: When going to the Command prompt and entering the "systeminfo" command did the Windows "Original Install Date" change to the date you did the update/upgrade or retain the date you originally installed Win 10? Mine did but it was suppose to using the method I used....just curious if the same happened for the method you used. I'm going to guess it did change the date.

Q2: In the Check for Updates, Advanced Options, View Your Update History did all you previous Windows updates listed in that area get reset and now it only shows updates since the upgrade? Once again, mine did but it was suppose to occur using the method I used...I knew this in advance...no big (or even little) deal for me. I don't want to guess on that answer.

Curious questions, Pib...

Re #1, when I run systeminfo from the command line on my laptop, the info flashes VERY quickly on my screen and then totally disappears, including the window, before I can even begin to read it. Not sure why it's doing like that. But as it stands now, I can't see any of the info that command produces.

Re #2, very interesting. When I check my Updates History on my Win 10 Threshold laptop tonight, there's only ONE update listed on the list, and that was an IE-Flash update that was installed AFTER I did the Threshold update. Everything else prior gone, including any mention of Threshold itself.

Since running UPDATES & checking the state of updates, my PC has never run better.

STARTUP - boots 1st time

Access to programs - no problems.

Icons for programs used to reduce in size spasmodically - not now

Living with my PC - no disappointments anymore,

We are in deep, deep love (& a little lust) clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

TallGuy,

Re #1, when I run systeminfo from the command line on my laptop, the info flashes VERY quickly on my screen and then totally disappears, including the window, before I can even begin to read it. Not sure why it's doing like that. But as it stands now, I can't see any of the info that command produces.

Re #2, very interesting. When I check my Updates History on my Win 10 Threshold laptop tonight, there's only ONE update listed on the list, and that was an IE-Flash update that was installed AFTER I did the Threshold update. Everything else prior gone, including any mention of Threshold itself.

RE #1 if you run 'systeminfo' from a command prompt and not the "Windows + R", you should be able to see the information.

RE #2 I did a Windows update on 1 computer, and an update from an iso on another - both show the original install date as when the updates were done and not the original install date

Because of this new install date is probably why the only update shown in history is the flashplayer update.

Edited by hml367

Interesting if you're running that from a CommandPrompt window. Does it do the same from an elevated CommandPrompt (Admin) window.

While that shouldn't happen, another option is to pipe the output to a file. systeminfo > systeminfo.txt

Anyone else notice edits to your USER directory after installing the Threshold update?

First let's confirm you are actually running it from the Command window versus the "Search the web and Windows" space/toolbar next to your Windows start icon.

If you run a command from the "Search the web and Windows" space you will see the black command windows open, runs the command you entered, and then the window disappears. And since most commands complete so faster it all over with in a second or two.

Be sure you are in the command window to run the command. You open the Command window several ways....for example right clicking the Start icon and then select either "Command Prompt" or Command Prompt (Elevated)" with the later being a better choice. Or right click the Start icon, select "Run" and when the window pops open enter "cmd", press enter, and that will take you to the command window. Now enter the "systeminfo" command or whatever command you want to run....the command will run, do its thing, display the results, and not close until you close the window.

If you have been using the actual command window then I don't know what is going on but when you google the problem you see people have had this problem in all versions of windows (7, 8, 10, etc).

Interesting if you're running that from a CommandPrompt window. Does it do the same from an elevated CommandPrompt (Admin) window.

While that shouldn't happen, another option is to pipe the output to a file. systeminfo > systeminfo.txt

Anyone else notice edits to your USER directory after installing the Threshold update?

I did another upgrade install today which I will talk in more detail about a little later, but when checking my Users directory it did update most (not all) of the folders' modified date to today since I did the upgrade again today...or maybe modification of the folders' date occurs every day you turn your computer on? Anything more specific I should be looking for?

I did another upgrade install today which I will talk in more detail about a little later, but when checking my Users directory it did update most (not all) of the folders' modified date to today since I did the upgrade again today...or maybe modification of the folders' date occurs every day you turn your computer on? Anything more specific I should be looking for?

I originally upgraded then reinstalled Win 10 (to convert a 32-bit install to 64-bit).

Just noticed after installing Threshold that there's now a Windows.old in the root directory, and 'Default' as well as 'Default.migrated' directories in the \User section. Originally this was one of the suggested 'fixes' for people having boot issues and I just noticed it was done during the lengthy 1511 (10586) update process.

Go to this post link in the ThaiVisa tread talking Win 10 Update Hanging where I talk doing the upgrade a second time today (first time 2 days ago) and why.