Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

Thailand moped crash horror leaves Middleton student paralysed from waist down
'Holiday of a lifetime' ends in tragedy for 20-year-old - family now trying to raise money to cover medical costs
BY KATHERINE BAINBRIDGE

MIDDLETON: -- A student has been left with life-changing injuries after a horrific moped crash in Thailand.

David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand when summer trip was cut short by tragedy.

He was thrown from a moped after the driver lost control and skidded off the road. David, from Middleton, suffered multiple injuries including a broken back, broken left shoulder, punctured lung, a bleed in the brain, cracked ribs and nerve damage to his left forearm.

He is currently paralysed from his stomach down.

After three weeks of operations and treatment in Thailand he was flown home earlier this month and is now being treated at the North West Regional Spine Injury Centre in Southport – but he faces a very long road to recovery.

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/david-eastham-thailand-moped-crash-9745416

-- Manchester Evening News 2015-07-29

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

Actually, anywhere there is Sun, roads, scooters for rent and young adults holidaying from colder climates.

Spanish holiday towns, etc.

Good luck to this young man, a horrific reality for him.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

If you read the story he is in his last year at university,. Karma my arse...

Really, this story is about his insurance being inadequate.

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

It was implicit that he was a passenger on the vehicle.

Think twice all you people who climb onto a motorbike taxi, typically without a helmet (or one that fits properly) in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand.

I found a way to stop that nonsense a long time ago.

Edited by MaxYakov

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to.

yep sorry for the kid,

im from gainsborough in lincolnshire and a young man who i new and new his family very very well lost his life here last year in pattaya on a scooter 2 days into his holiday,

its very sad but its happening more and more,,

good luck to this young man

Sorry for David...as said above, Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.

Not sure inadequate is the correct word regarding the insurance. Every travel insurance policy that I have seen that allows motorbike or moped riding (not all do) will usually allow up to 125cc providing you hold a licence, wear a crash helmet and do not have a pillion passenger. It's painfully obvious to many of us that often we see tourists breaking every one of these clauses.

Is it riding a motorcycle in Thailand that is dangerous or the person riding the motorcycle that is dangerous ?

In order not to give the impression that you are a mindless Thai basher, which I am sure was not your intention, maybe your post should have suggested that that sentence should have read,

"David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him regardless of where they had their holiday, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag".

And I suspect "moped" is the wrong description.

...and as irrelevant as your observation.

Not according to the insurance policy. Very significant.

And not according to the story...if he was on a moped, he probably would not have had such an impact.

Have you ever seen a moped in Thailand?

Not sure inadequate is the correct word regarding the insurance. Every travel insurance policy that I have seen that allows motorbike or moped riding (not all do) will usually allow up to 125cc providing you hold a licence, wear a crash helmet and do not have a pillion passenger. It's painfully obvious to many of us that often we see tourists breaking every one of these clauses.

Is it riding a motorcycle in Thailand that is dangerous or the person riding the motorcycle that is dangerous ?

Read the whole story as linked. "The travel insurance company only covers accidents on mopeds of 55cc or less,"

He was not on a moped, I'm sure.

Your last sentence....BOTH.

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

Most are untrained. Watching them pick somebody up off the road is frightening. They just grab arms and legs and hike them into the back of a pick-up truck or van. no thought for spinal injuries or internal bleeding. Often those who are rescued also find their wallets lighter when they get to their destination. It is a racket run much like to tow truck rackets in the west. We see them roaring down major roads in Bangkok, sirens blaring in a hurry to rescue their next victim and, ironically, almost creating more accidents because of their haste.

Read the whole story as linked. "The travel insurance company only covers accidents on mopeds of 55cc or less,"

He was not on a moped, I'm sure.

Your last sentence....BOTH.

I've read it. Do I trust the accuracy of the reporting ? No. I was replying to the point about the insurance being inadequate. I don't know ANY travel insurance policy that covers pillion passengers or doesn't require a licence to be held.

This looks like a bad case of som nam na.

If he was on the back of a motorbike taxi, he would never get these multiple injuries including a broken back, broken left shoulder, punctured lung, a bleed in the brain, cracked ribs and nerve damage to his left forearm.

Looks like he was a pillion on something pretty fast, probably with an inexperienced rider, what happened to him? no mention of him in the article.

Was he wearing a helmet? What protective gear was he wearing?

I can just imagine how this all went down, see too many of these guys down at the beach.

A terrible ending to David’s dream holiday he would have been better advised to read up about Thailand and its roads especially if traveling around Thailand and he would have then known how dangerous killer roads they are definitely are not for babies to play on, can only wish him all the best and a speedy recovery and never give up hope that he will be walking again soon and to think that it could have ended out a lot worse that just having these life changing injuries.

Going little off topic, but every time there is this kind of tragedy, headlines always read family or friends trying to fund raise the money.

Do not this people get travel insurance? For 1 month holiday its something like $60, certainly worth it when you going over seas into unknown