Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

There's no need for ridiculous generalizations. People have accidents all over the world and probably in your country too.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't use the word 'additional'. But, then most half intelligent adults would be able to understand the statement, and not feel the need to write back like a grumpy old man. My fault, I actually through that the members of TV had grown up!

Grow up!, what on Thaivisa, you must be dreaming, another thing that will not change on Thaivisa is posting misleading/ inaccurate information - as you did.

Really, this story is about his insurance being inadequate.

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to.

SO what, it is linked out of compassion. The tragedy is the majority of ex pats who live here or comment on TV are running away from something, either illegal or personal. I have found over the past 10 years that the norm is people with limited sentimentality, a sorry sense of humour. untrustworthy, inconsiderate, and above all self righteous. This is why they do not fit in at home. ''Phone Calls'' you silly silly sad individual.

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

Yes, the way RTA staff or members of the public just move people around with what could be very dangerous injuries is staggeringly unbelievable and also just as horrifying as the accident itself.

A major reason any parent should make sure their kids have adequate accident and medical cover before visiting the LOS (Land of Scrapes).

When my kids visited recently and hired bikes on one of the islands I also hired a bike and insisted I lead them around for at least a few hours and show them some of the hazards they may encounter on the roads.

I also made sure they took out adequate cover for medical expenses before they left the UK.

Edited by daiwill60

Do vehicle hire companies in Thailand require to see a valid driving license?

my experience is that they do not. I have rented a bike on a few occasions and all they were interested in is holding onto your passport as security. thumbsup.gif

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

SO what, it is linked out of compassion. The tragedy is the majority of ex pats who live here or comment on TV are running away from something, either illegal or personal. I have found over the past 10 years that the norm is people with limited sentimentality, a sorry sense of humour. untrustworthy, inconsiderate, and above all self righteous. This is why they do not fit in at home. ''Phone Calls'' you silly silly sad individual.

Speaking from personal experience are you? "if the cap fits......."

Sorry for David...as said above, Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.

So what type of transport should he have used to get about when on holiday?

Walk/Feet.

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

Sir, you are saying that youi, an English Speaker and able bodied and able to help stop the bleeding, and possible thrashing by the angry driver.. simply walked away from tis accident without lending any practical assistance?

And you are bragging about being a complete ... ummm .. "kitten"

That is an amazing moment.

Karma is a Bitch.

Enjoy.

the article gives no details about who was the driver or how the accident occured.

also, it says that the travel insurance only covers accidents with mopeds of 50cc or less, what stupid policy is that ?? this needs to be changed, if necessary by law.

100% AGREE , where in Thailand can anyone hire anything under 110 cc ???

coffee1.gif

And I suspect "moped" is the wrong description.

Why do some folks go loose in describing things wrong? A mo-ped is exactly what it implies. A motorized bicycle that you can pedal to start or actually pedal a short way. NOT a 110cc motorbike (motorcycle). I haven't seen many mo-peds here.whistling.gif

You are speaking historically. A moped was indeed a heavyweight bicycle with an engine that you could pedal to start, or even pedal a short way if you had the leg muscles of a Titan. These were first around in the late sixties to early seventies, example such as the French Velosolex, Raleigh's Wisp, Puch Maxi etc, all with a 'step thru frame' and an engine size not exceeding 49cc. That was the legal definition of a 'moped' in the UK at least, and you were permitted to ride one of these at the age of 16. On reaching 17 you could ride up to a 250cc and would then need to pass the bike test before progressing to anything larger

However in the early to mid seventies the crafty Japanese saw a loophole in the market and started to build small lightweight motorcycles with 49cc engines capable of speeds between 40 - 50 mph such as the Yamaha FSIE (fizzy) and the Honda SS50. The Italians also followed suit with Gilera and Malagutti offering a couple of models that would top out at nearly 60mph.

These machine did still have pedals - in fact the footrests on cranks that could unlock and form a bicycle pedal arrangement by which it was theoretically possible to propel the bike. The reality was that due to the weight of the machine it was virtually impossible to do so. I know all that because I was 16 myself at that time and working in a bike shop.

As these so called 'mopeds' with 5 speed gearboxes and disc brakes began to get more highly tuned , the accident\injury\death rate of 16 year old novice riders began to rise rapidly and in the late seventies the Government acted to change the legislation. The definition of a 'moped' then became a motorbike of 49cc maximum with a top speed restricted to 30mph. The requirement to have pedals fitted as an optional method of propulsion was dropped - however the term moped stuck as a descriptive way of differentiating the different licensing and insurance requirements of these 49cc machines from larger engined ones. The term moped is still widely used today to describe any 49cc engined bike which is the only class of motorbike you are allowed to ride without restriction on a full car licence..

Hope that clears things up - on the minus side it just reminded myself how old I am that I can remember back that far... :-(

Edited by Shadychris

tragic... I'm very sorry

this is not a time for 'holier than thou' statements but for compassion

Why stop the know all ghouls who are experts on Thailand,just wait for the day it happens to them or a family member,might change their tune then.If it were not for these unfortunate happenings they would have nothing to post about.

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

And " three weeks of operations and treatment in Thailand "..!!! let's hope they did not made it worse !!!! like what happened to a couple of my friends....(separate cases)....

...and as irrelevant as your observation.

Not according to the insurance policy. Very significant.

And not according to the story...if he was on a moped, he probably would not have had such an impact.

Have you ever seen a moped in Thailand?

Exactly what I said about 2 weeks ago. A moped is usualy no more then 50cc and has pedals to get it going. A Honda Wave could be over 120cc and will do about 120kph. A big difference. I tried to find out more but got Sorry host cannot be resolved at this time , No comment from me as to whose fault , or what happened. Just saying a moped is not a scooter.

As this topic is about a British man who, according to the news article, was injured in Thailand as passenger on a moped and is covered by his travel insurance policy for riding on a moped up to 55 cc, it is worthwhile looking at the UK definition of "moped".

Moped category definition
A moped (category AM) is defined as having a maximum design speed over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not exceeding 45 km/h (28 mph); or a light quadricycle with an unladen weight not more than 350kg and up to 45km/h. It has an engine capacity no greater than 50 cubic centimetres (cc) and can be moved by pedals if it was first used before 1 September 1977.

Source: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-for-moped-riders

I see that the crowdfunding has already raised more than double the GBP 2,000 being sought.

Best wishes to the young man for a complete and speedy recovery from his injuries.

Read the whole story as linked. "The travel insurance company only covers accidents on mopeds of 55cc or less,"

He was not on a moped, I'm sure.

Your last sentence....BOTH.

It may have been over 55cc, but the definition of Moped I grew up with is any scooter you don't have to shift. I had a friend with a 250 cc Moped in Texas.

Since no scooters less than 100cc can be registered for the street in Thailand, it seems disingenuous that an insurance company can claim (and charge for) coverage for scooters, but limit it to 55cc.

You don't have to "shift"??? Move?

A scooter , for me, is a motorcycle with step-through frame and a platform for the rider's feet. Just like a Vespa

The size of the motor is irrelevant

Edited by petedk

Bad luck for him.

But, he and nobody else got on the back of the bike.

Not blame others that they did something wrong, he also could go walking, stay home, take the bus or a taxi.

Life is just full of issue, some just get you hurt, some even will kill you.

If he not got on the back of the bike, nothing would have happened.

He is also lucky with his insurance.

Seems that he was not fully covered for what he was doing.

Many people dont even bother to look what they are insured for.

Some some other comment about check for drive license.

You, yourself and nobody else is responsible for your own actions.

Why do you not get on a motorbike at home when you dont have the proper training for it but, what the heck, in a strange country with different rules and different style of driving, there you can get on the bike without a helmet, no decent clothing and flipflops.

Why are so many people so stupid when they are more then 100km from home.

And when something goes wrong, blame everything else but not themselves.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

Probably hard to believe but some people can manage both travel and going to a university. They're not mutually exclusive as you suggest.

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

Please do not confuse anyone.

Best you stay put in your country where all is perfect.

Indeed this is a very sad incident and I hope the kid recovers fully.

But some of the comments such as mentioned below, makes one think how sick a person could get in his mind. Anything that happens in Thailand, the fault is promptly thrown at Thailand. Ain't it disgusting?

>>> That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.
>>> ... across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.
>>> Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.
>>> After seeing the Thai emergency services in action
>>> typically without a helmet (or one that fits properly) in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand.

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

So good of you that you lent them a helping hand, i.e. calling police, emergency vehicle, securing the road, assisting them with reassurance and comforting words. A real hero you are.

First off, emergency vehicles were already on the way. Sirens just down the road. So there was no need for me to call.

Second, I have little to no "sympathy" for abject, blatant, total stupidity.

Do vehicle hire companies in Thailand require to see a valid driving license?

You obviously don't live here.

Car rentals yes they want to see a licence, but renting motorbikes is different. All they want to see is the payment for how long you rent it and a 1,000 deposit.

Lose it and you pay for it, its as simple as that. If you don't pay, then you lose more than your deposit.

the article gives no details about who was the driver or how the accident occured.

also, it says that the travel insurance only covers accidents with mopeds of 50cc or less, what stupid policy is that ?? this needs to be changed, if necessary by law.

To ride a motorcycle or moped UNDER 50cc in the Uk you can do if you have a car drivers licence.

Over 50cc you have to have taken the first part of the motorcycle test before you are even allowed to take it on the road. I believe that you must complete a certasin number of hours of proper motorcycle training.

link https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

You can only get proper insurance for riding something bigger than a moped if you take out a proper policy which will cost extra money.

The majority of tourists don't bother as they "know" that they are safe riders. That is of course before they arrive in Thailand and find that they can rent ANY size of motorbike whether or not they are capable, whether or not they have the right riding gear because Thailand drives on the same side of the road as the UK.

Many of them have no idea what they are getting into and some end up like the guy described in the OP.

Why should the insurance companies change just because YOU think it is a stupid policy?

Really, it's not...

Do you KNOW the majority of expats in Thailand? How many have you met out of the thousands that live here? I know that you have certainly not met me or any of my friends.

None of us fit your description of us so I have no idea where you live or who your "friends" are.

coffee1.gif

Why do some folks go loose in describing things wrong? A mo-ped is exactly what it implies. A motorized bicycle that you can pedal to start or actually pedal a short way. NOT a 110cc motorbike (motorcycle). I haven't seen many mo-peds here.whistling.gif

You are speaking historically. A moped was indeed a heavyweight bicycle with an engine that you could pedal to start, or even pedal a short way if you had the leg muscles of a Titan. These were first around in the late sixties to early seventies, example such as the French Velosolex, Raleigh's Wisp, Puch Maxi etc, all with a 'step thru frame' and an engine size not exceeding 49cc. That was the legal definition of a 'moped' in the UK at least, and you were permitted to ride one of these at the age of 16. On reaching 17 you could ride up to a 250cc and would then need to pass the bike test before progressing to anything larger

However in the early to mid seventies the crafty Japanese saw a loophole in the market and started to build small lightweight motorcycles with 49cc engines capable of speeds between 40 - 50 mph such as the Yamaha FSIE (fizzy) and the Honda SS50. The Italians also followed suit with Gilera and Malagutti offering a couple of models that would top out at nearly 60mph.

These machine did still have pedals - in fact the footrests on cranks that could unlock and form a bicycle pedal arrangement by which it was theoretically possible to propel the bike. The reality was that due to the weight of the machine it was virtually impossible to do so. I know all that because I was 16 myself at that time and working in a bike shop.

As these so called 'mopeds' with 5 speed gearboxes and disc brakes began to get more highly tuned , the accident\injury\death rate of 16 year old novice riders began to rise rapidly and in the late seventies the Government acted to change the legislation. The definition of a 'moped' then became a motorbike of 49cc maximum with a top speed restricted to 30mph. The requirement to have pedals fitted as an optional method of propulsion was dropped - however the term moped stuck as a descriptive way of differentiating the different licensing and insurance requirements of these 49cc machines from larger engined ones. The term moped is still widely used today to describe any 49cc engined bike which is the only class of motorbike you are allowed to ride without restriction on a full car licence..

Hope that clears things up - on the minus side it just reminded myself how old I am that I can remember back that far... :-(

This is a moped. A 1950s Cyclemaster. I had one in 1959 and it cost me 12s 6d or 62 new pence per year for insurance.

post-5614-0-93305300-1438180589_thumb.jp

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

I learnt to ride here, though i was 10 years older then this kid and wore full gear, TH is a great place to ride

Good luck kid.

Don't forget the disgraceful road surfaces on Thailands roads..