Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

Really, this story is about his insurance being inadequate.

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

That company needs a free plug, any chance if you know what their name is perhaps post it. Well done for compassion.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

No confusion on my part and no need for you to spell anything out for me.

The emergency services in this instance seemed to have done quite a good job as opposed to being "utterly pathetic".

Really, it's not...

"...the medical care was covered after lengthy negotiations with the insurance provider..."

This is about a tourist who apparently contravened the conditions of his travel insurance by being on a motorcycle of more than 55ccs but was lucky enough to be with an insurance company that paid all his bills anyway. The bills for the family to travel and their incidental expenses were not covered and there was no reason for them to be covered.

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to.

Really it isn't. I did read the whole article and if you did then clearly you couldn't understand it...

"His family are desperate to raise £5,000 to go towards equipment and the facilities to help David complete his final year at Northumbria University, where he is studying business management."

No mention of phone calls and family visits there.

"If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to."

Don't tell me that, I didn't send anyone.

Sorry for David...as said above, Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.

So what type of transport should he have used to get about when on holiday?

Would a car Taxi be OK? Much safer, I think, than any bike. But of course not as much FUN as a motorbike..

It doesn't matter how great and experienced motor bike rider you are in Thailand.It will be your turn soon...I agree that mopeds are a simple way to get about.But most of the time it comes down to " pure laziness " and couldn't be bothered to walk.( Farang included ) From my experience some of the most dangerous driving comes from the " Motorbike Taxis " who don't seem to look,just seem to get excited with earning the next 40 baht.There is no real reason why anybody needs to rent or buy a motorbike here in Thailand.If your journey is only 3 - 5 KM then just walk,much better for you and safer!

Get Well Soon.

F.J x

i feel bad for the young man.

if anyone thinking about coming to Thailand for a holiday reads this, know ALL forms of transportation here are very dangerous.

don't come here, it is not worth it.

Is that why you don't go toThailand ?

Sorry for David...as said above, Thailand is not the place to ride a motorbike.

So what type of transport should he have used to get about when on holiday?

Would a car Taxi be OK? Much safer, I think, than any bike. But of course not as much FUN as a motorbike..

Maybe, but at 20 and on holiday i would always choose "fun" Now a lot older i still would.

In fact tomorrow i am for four days of motorbiking fun, as long as other road users and the weather oblige!

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

So you're giving a very reluctant pat on the back to the emergency services in this instance as well as bashing them in general, yes?

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

The emergency services in this instance seemed to have done quite a good job as opposed to being "utterly pathetic".

Really? Where does it say that? For all we know his injuries were worsened by their actions.

And I suspect "moped" is the wrong description.

...and as irrelevant as your observation.

Not according to the insurance policy. Very significant.

And not according to the story...if he was on a moped, he probably would not have had such an impact.

Have you ever seen a moped in Thailand?

Have you seen the insurance policy document in question?

Yes I have seen a moped in Thailand...

"Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and pedals but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for any moped-sized motorcycle even if it does not have pedals.. The name "moped" has now been applied by some regional governments to vehicles without pedals, based on their restricted engine displacement, speed, and/or power output."

Most are untrained. Watching them pick somebody up off the road is frightening. They just grab arms and legs and hike them into the back of a pick-up truck or van. no thought for spinal injuries or internal bleeding. Often those who are rescued also find their wallets lighter when they get to their destination. It is a racket run much like to tow truck rackets in the west. We see them roaring down major roads in Bangkok, sirens blaring in a hurry to rescue their next victim and, ironically, almost creating more accidents because of their haste.

Says who? I'd love to see your evidence, and justification, for your promulgation of this urban myth.

You're obviously overlooking the general use of backboards by the rescue services. As for the lighter wallets bit, you think that the rescue services do all this thieving with all the witnesses that always congregate at the scene of these incidents? They travel rapidly using sirens precisely because they are en route to emergency situations, what would you like to see them do, sit in traffic and take their time?

As for their "almost creating more accidents", an accident either happens or it doesn't. An "almost" accident doesn't exist, that would be a non accident.

Do people actually read the OP's before commenting?

So far I have read posts commenting about the motorcycle taxi?? Not mentioned anywhere that I can see.

Another post about an out of control car?? Ditto above.

What I did read was that there were six young guys (the injured guy and five friends) on holiday in Thailand.

The injured guy was a passenger on a "moped" where the driver lost control and subsequently crashed.

I mightn't be the sharpest tool in the shed but isn't it just possible that six young men hired three motorbikes (as thousands of other tourists do and will continue to do) and then made a series of decisions that ultimately ended the way it did?

If that is the case (highly likely IMHO) then there will be another young man who has also had his life changed in a very bad way as well. He will have to live with guilt of crippling his mate for the rest of his years.

We will never know for sure how much this ld's chances were affected by events AFTER the actual incident.

Thailand has inadequate emergency facilities.

It is usually accepted that the quicker you get to hospital, the greater your chances of a full recovery......many people with apparently minor injuries subsequently succumb to shock and die. Some injuries are exacerbated by poor handling of patients by emergency services.

In UK official response times aimed for are for a full emergency 8 minutes and 19 for others.

As Thailand doesn't even have a central emergency infrastructure or properly equipped ambulances or trained paramedics one has to wonder how many people are left with permanent disabilities that could have been avoided with a little more care and attention in the first half hour or so.

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

Keep hitting your head Mango....might knock some sense in there eventually.

I have been riding motorbikes for close to 50 years and not once, not once, has one ever tried to attack, bite, shoot or stab me.

For the most part they just sit there dumb and happy as they should...after all they are only pieces of machined metal assembled in a particular way.

I have of course hurt myself riding them because of my own bravado or stupidity but not because the bike was in any way inclined to take my life or destroy me.

Edited by Mudcrab

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

And how would you suggest the huge number of Thais operating these "stupid unsave (sic) motorcyles, get around? There are millions on the road in this country, just about every family has one or more because they cannot afford a car.

They can be unsafe in the wrong hands and many Thais do not know road rules, wear helmets or even have a license. However this accident involved a farang man on holiday. A tragedy,no less.The sad part is that many farangs rent motorbikes and are fully dressed for the road, as you can see.

post-9891-0-77264400-1438164845_thumb.jp

Really? Where does it say that? For all we know his injuries were worsened by their actions.

He survived didn't he? And for all you know his injuries may not have been worsened by their actions. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

Extremely silly comment. How will poorer folk get around? Focus on getting car and motorcycle drivers to be better trained and enforce the traffic laws.

Really, it's not...

Really, it is. If you read the whole article linked, it's about raising donations to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident.

If a family can't afford to visit him...send ONE representative if you have to.

Are you saying that you are aware of travel insurance policies that would cover the cost of phone calls and visits from multiple family members in the event that the traveller in question was injured in an accident? If you are, please provide a link to the generous insurer who sells these policies. If not, I suggest you go spread your particular brand of happiness elsewhere.

No, I'm not saying that. Read the whole dialogue, and TRY to comprehend what is being said.

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

Well said

Really, it's not...

That company needs a free plug, any chance if you know what their name is perhaps post it. Well done for compassion.

Do your own research if you want to know the insurance company name.

As for compassion, I was commenting solely on a point that I had an issue with. Or maybe I was trying to compete with your compassionate outpouring?

Have you noticed that if the letters of your name are re-arranged it becomes Tossr?

Edited by Sviss Geez

coffee1.gif

Why do some folks go loose in describing things wrong? A mo-ped is exactly what it implies. A motorized bicycle that you can pedal to start or actually pedal a short way. NOT a 110cc motorbike (motorcycle). I haven't seen many mo-peds here.whistling.gif

i don't doubt their competency-skills being dubious but can you please elaborate on your observations and describe specifically things you saw to be deficient be it by omission or commission.

coffee1.gif

Why do some folks go loose in describing things wrong? A mo-ped is exactly what it implies. A motorized bicycle that you can pedal to start or actually pedal a short way. NOT a 110cc motorbike (motorcycle). I haven't seen many mo-peds here.whistling.gif

And some people need to check on the modern, i.e. up to date, common usage of the term.

i don't doubt their competency-skills being dubious but can you please elaborate on your observations and describe specifically things you saw to be deficient be it by omission or commission.

In Phuket I saw a young Thai who had been hit and run from his motorbike. When I got to the scene there were already a group of foreign tourists which had checked his signs of life and put him into the recovery position. The police arrived first and just parked their car to divert traffic, mone of the police even ca me near the injured kid. Eventually an ambulance turned up and the two paramedics literally just walked up to the kid, turned his head to the side and shone a flash light into his eyes and deemed him doomed, then they both picked him up by his arms and legs and swung him into the back of their van like an animal in a slaughterhouse and drove off. They were on the scene for maybe 25 seconds.

I just remember feeling so sorry for the kid's parents.

the article gives no details about who was the driver or how the accident occured.

also, it says that the travel insurance only covers accidents with mopeds of 50cc or less, what stupid policy is that ?? this needs to be changed, if necessary by law.

...and as irrelevant as your observation.

Not according to the insurance policy. Very significant.

And not according to the story...if he was on a moped, he probably would not have had such an impact.

Have you ever seen a moped in Thailand?

Have you seen the insurance policy document in question?

Yes I have seen a moped in Thailand...

"Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and pedals but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for any moped-sized motorcycle even if it does not have pedals.. The name "moped" has now been applied by some regional governments to vehicles without pedals, based on their restricted engine displacement, speed, and/or power output."

Please show me any regulation in all of Thailand where they call any motorbike a "moped"? Any city, town, village, regional government, etc. Any.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

''Instead I finished my education? At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education''

You are not making any sense. Bad karma for the lad? What is that supposed to mean? That is his fault he got paralyzed because he was on holiday!

You have open up the door for Mr Karma to take a good look at you. Jinxed yourself there mate. Hope to be reading about you soon BYE!!!

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

In order not to give the impression that you are a mindless Thai basher, which I am sure was not your intention, maybe your post should have suggested that that sentence should have read,

"David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him regardless of where they had their holiday, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag".

I can't see why "mindless Thai basher" comes to mind when it's a fact that LOS, with it's appalling road accident/death statistics is a dangerous place to ride any form of vehicular transport, even for experienced/qualified drivers. It's very easy to 'name call', but please don't be selective with your memory with regard to which country you are talking about and what actually happens here.