Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

If outlawing were to happen how would my 10-year-old neighbor get to school? It's all of 500 meters he couldn't possibly walk that far.

Get well soon to the British lad.

He won't get well. He is gone from the waist down. This means he has no control over his bowels or bladder. He will never have sexual intercourse again. His future will be an adult diaper and a catheter tube inserted into his urethra to drain his bladder. His will be a life of constant urinary tract infections from the catheter, of stinking of feces and depression. Without sensation in his lower parts he is susceptible to nasty infections, and insect infestations.

This is a heart breaking, horrible tragedy. This poor kid will have a very difficult time ahead of him, if he survives.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

If outlawing were to happen how would my 10-year-old neighbor get to school? It's all of 500 meters he couldn't possibly walk that far.

Get well soon to the British lad.

He won't get well. He is gone from the waist down. This means he has no control over his bowels or bladder. He will never have sexual intercourse again. His future will be an adult diaper and a catheter tube inserted into his urethra to drain his bladder. His will be a life of constant urinary tract infections from the catheter, of stinking of feces and depression. Without sensation in his lower parts he is susceptible to nasty infections, and insect infestations.

This is a heart breaking, horrible tragedy. This poor kid will have a very difficult time ahead of him, if he survives.

I'm sure the hospital looking after him will thank you for your diagnosis.

Whether or not he and his family want it plastered all over the net.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

That's really harsh. I too was in school and working at age 20, and unwilling to consider a trip to Thailand. My mistake.

20 is a great age to have an adventure. It's part of growing up. When I finally arrived in Thailand, I was too old for some things. He was doing what a lot of normal, healthy well adjusted kids do.

Bad karma? Hardly. The driver lost control. He was a passenger. More like bad driving, bad roads, bad judgement, bad speed.

Try and be a bit more compassionate.

Should read: David Eastham, 20, was on a holiday of a lifetime with five friends across Thailand only to return home, as many before him, with lifetime injuries or in a body bag.

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Bad karma for the lad..

You paid for your education? Looks like you were ripped off.

I'm sure the hospital looking after him will thank you for your diagnosis.

Whether or not he and his family want it plastered all over the net.

What do you think paralyzed from the "stomach" down means?

Do you think the use of euphemisms and delicate terms helps anyone? Will the condition heal itself if we use the term "boo boo"? People need to understand the consequences. This kid made a mistake, why should others make the same one?

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

Unfortunately correct, I have noticed some young kids around Hua HIn the last few days and the way they are riding they might end up the same way.

Maybe lonely planet should post a few pics in its books of accidents or the tourism industry issue pamphlets when purchacing air tickets of the dangers of being a clown on the roads here full of clowns.

Hope the young kid comes good.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

a twenty year old kid coming on a vacation of a lifetime to Thailand? what was he thinking? what was his parents thinking? did they not know about Thailand and it's very dangerous roads? words fail me!

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

People like you make me puke

I hope you have an accident and no one helps you

Karma! two fools riding a bike that is not designed to carry two nuts, giving you the bird! well they got what they deserved! as for the comment above, don't think you would be stupid enough to act like the two idiots!

The recovery position, that you say the foreign tourists placed the injured man in, was not beneficial to his injuries. It is only used on patients that have had a medical episode, such as seizure, diabetic episode or heat stroke, as examples. If he had any spinal injuries from the accident, the tourists actions only aggravated his injuries and possibly, insured his death. Another MVA death, assisted by non trained bystanders with good intentions. Unless someone has received the proper training, beyond basic first aid ( not first aid from the boy scouts or red cross) they should do nothing, unless the victim is not breathing or bleeding profusely. As far as the police not assisting, this could be because of police SOP (standing operating procedure) or maybe whoever called for medical services reported the victim deceased. Checking a victims pupils with a light is standard practice. If pupils are dilated, they will constrict with bright light and no reaction, is one sign of death. If they did remove the victim as your description implied, that would not have been professional. But, as time flies, I would bet their actual time at the scene was longer than you state.

In the UK we now have 'Biker Down' courses. These are aimed at Bikers but open to everyone. It is a proven fact that the sooner someone gets first aid the more chance they have of surviving. My father was a first responder and biker so I was brought up on dealing with RTA's. But I have found the biker down courses (done 2 so far) useful refreshers.

http://www.survivalskills.co.uk/biker%20down.htm

But of course the problem is in Thailand that you have to be careful what you do. Don't want to get blamed for making the situation worse or for causing the accident. Even a friend who is a first responder on Koh Samui will only get involved with RTA's when he is on duty. That is not through choice but through advice from the volunteers he works with.

I will rephrase part of your post. It is true, that the sooner a patient receives "advanced medical care", the greater their chance of survival from life threatening injuries or a medical condition. First aid preformed by first responders for trauma from MVA should consist of stabilizing airway, providing oxygen or breathing assistance, trying to control profuse bleeding and monitoring vital signs, not much more. Then they should wait for a trained ambulance crew to take over care. I have worked with dozens of trained first responders. Some were very good at providing basic care, pre-ambulance arrival. Others were better at bringing equipment from the ambulance or directing traffic. I have arrived at MVA's involving cyclists and have found their helmet laying on the ground, next to them. I then find out someone at the scene, removed the helmet. They think they are helping, but is the biggest mistake to make. This is against trauma protocol. Any possibility of neck and spinal injury is further compromised, during the removal. As far as your friend, not assisting when off duty, this is good advice. Unless you are granted immunity from liability, by "Good Samaritan" law, you probably should not get involved. If you make a mistake, your assisting can still be costly. I know there will be some readers that will disagree, that not helping is not the moral thing to do. If you are not afraid of legal action or financial lost, this is a choice a person must make. But in Thailand good luck.

Good luck kid.

Don't forget the disgraceful road surfaces on Thailands roads..

But not ALL of the roads in Thailand are bad and there is a continual repair job going on to resurface and upgrade many roads.

the article gives no details about who was the driver or how the accident occured.

also, it says that the travel insurance only covers accidents with mopeds of 50cc or less, what stupid policy is that ?? this needs to be changed, if necessary by law.

To ride a motorcycle or moped UNDER 50cc in the Uk you can do if you have a car drivers licence.

Over 50cc you have to have taken the first part of the motorcycle test before you are even allowed to take it on the road. I believe that you must complete a certasin number of hours of proper motorcycle training.

link https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

You can only get proper insurance for riding something bigger than a moped if you take out a proper policy which will cost extra money.

The majority of tourists don't bother as they "know" that they are safe riders. That is of course before they arrive in Thailand and find that they can rent ANY size of motorbike whether or not they are capable, whether or not they have the right riding gear because Thailand drives on the same side of the road as the UK.

Many of them have no idea what they are getting into and some end up like the guy described in the OP.

Why should the insurance companies change just because YOU think it is a stupid policy?

I just want to make 2 points:

1- the article suggests the victim of the accident was not driving !

it cannot be a vehicle passenger's duty to check whether the driver has the proper license and insurance.

so I think travel insurance should cover accidents of passengers in any case of normal use of a normal vehicle.

2- drivers should be covered during normal use of vehicles they are licensed to drive

1- That would put the insurance costs up for ALL travellers whether they wish to ride or not and that would mean even babies and pensioners would have to bear the cost for a limited number of people to "enjoy" themselves. One thing you should consider is personal resonsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate holiday insurance to cover most if not all things that you want to do. It is NOT the responsibility of the insurance company. If you think that you will want to ride a bike, jet ski, zip wire, mountain climb or anything else YOU should ensure that you have adequate cover, nobody else.

2- Drivers are covered for normal use of vehicles they are licensed to drive..... in their own country. If you are in a different country which may have different rules, again it is YOUR responsibility to stay within the laws of that country. Nobody elses responsibility, only yours. You can Google the countries that you visit to get advice, TripAdvisor, Lonley Planet etc also have advice. Even the UK Embassy website offers advice. Only you can look it up.

Some of you on here have berated me and said all sorts of crap about me due to my lack of sympathy or "assistance" the the guys I saw dump their bike. Let me give you a little "history"

I served as a combat U.S. Marine for 20 years. I've patched up more bullet and shrapnel wounds that I can count. I've immobilized broken arms and legs, and pulled wounded Marines out of the line of fire, often putting my own life in danger. Again, more times than I can count. And not just Marines, but wounded and hurt civilians, men, woman and children. I've shed more than a few tears while holding a dying child, woman or man in my arms, angry and frustrated that I couldn't save them. If you haven't been there, you can't even begin to understand the torment and emotional hell you go through during those times.

"Oh, but that's combat, so it's different" some of you will say. True, to a point. But the fact remains, you do everything you can, even if it could cost you your own life.

But when I see people come here and rent a 650cc Ninja, with NO previous experience on a bike, and dressed like they should be walking along the beach somewhere, with a total lack of concern or responsibility for their own safety, then I have no sympathy for them. My feeling is that if you are too stupid to care about your own life and safety, then don't expect me to.

There's no need for ridiculous generalizations. People have accidents all over the world and probably in your country too.

The ridiculous generalization is to talk about accidents happening around the world. We are commenting on this accident of a farang in Thailand. Operating a moped, bicycle, car or any other means of transportation including crossing streets on foot are extra dangerous for foreigners coming to this country. There are practices by Thais that most likely they have no experience with like Thais driving against traffic. The point and click Thai driver who weaves in and out of traffic at high speeds amazingly coming within centimeters of hitting you. There are laws here but they are not enforced. Try running a red light, even if another vehicle is not coming, and see what a traffic cop does in USA. Thai motorbike driver's never want to put their foot to the ground and will thread a needle with their moto to avoid stopping in traffic. That includes riding on sidewalks to avoid stopping. And that's just motorbikes. Throw in road conditions and the drunk drivers and you got a recipe for destruction that farang are not prepared for.

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

yup.....20 years old...carefree fearless attitude...maybe a little alcohol in the mix ...and finally a big topping of "shlt happens"... and the end result = consequences

here's to life

sometimes not what you expected

next.....

I visited Koh Phangnan and Koh Tao for full moon 3 years ago. I saw a lot of foreigners injured doing shit I'm sure they don't do in their countries. Twirling fire comes to mind. One by one Booze inspired candidates took turns with danger. Their burns badges for their fearlessness. I equate that with riding a moped in Thailand. Even veterans who ride motorcycles here will tell you if you don't have experience riding here then take a pass. I've seen foreigners rent mopeds and motorbikes that were poorly maintenance increasing the risk of something going wrong. Fearlessness kills, just look at all of the fearless Thais who have bit the dust proving it.

Bad karma for the lad..

Sorry, can I just call this post out for what it is- a horrible, shitty mean spirited post.

Suggesting that he someone deserved to be crippled because he didn't do exactly what you did at twenty is pretty low. And, this may astound you as an educated man, but people can actually be students and holiday. I did it myself, while juggling part-times jobs as well to pay for it all. Obviously I feel bad that you weren't smart enough to be able to do that, but I'd perhaps direct your bitterness inwards rather outwards. Especially with karma,and all that.

Good luck kid.

a twenty year old kid coming on a vacation of a lifetime to Thailand? what was he thinking? what was his parents thinking? did they not know about Thailand and it's very dangerous roads? words fail me!

There is the sane adult part of me that agrees with you 100%. The 20 year old kid in me did some pretty stupid things and got away with them. There but for fortune....

As a parent of a 20 year old off to SE Asia with her boyfriend next month I've made it my duty to get them the best insurance cover available. They will be riding motorcycles but only in Langkawi, Malaysia, an island with good roads they are familiar with and otherwise difficult to explore. They are licensed, will wear helmets, in many respects my daughter is an old head on young shoulders. Would I prefer them not to be on bikes, even as an experienced rider myself ? Yes, absolutely. But as any parent knows the fear and caution you feel for your child can only be taken so far. She is an experienced kayaker and sailing instructor who teaches kids and adults and who understands risks. I'll still worry.

Like many experienced riders I don't see the roads in Thailand as too dangerous to ride. But note the word experienced. It's that experience that teaches us we are not invincible. Without that quality they are indeed most dangerous.

Most people also assume the islands get the most tourist motorbike crashes. Actually it's Pai that holds that crown.

the article gives no details about who was the driver or how the accident occured.

also, it says that the travel insurance only covers accidents with mopeds of 50cc or less, what stupid policy is that ?? this needs to be changed, if necessary by law.

To ride a motorcycle or moped UNDER 50cc in the Uk you can do if you have a car drivers licence.

Over 50cc you have to have taken the first part of the motorcycle test before you are even allowed to take it on the road. I believe that you must complete a certasin number of hours of proper motorcycle training.

link https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

You can only get proper insurance for riding something bigger than a moped if you take out a proper policy which will cost extra money.

The majority of tourists don't bother as they "know" that they are safe riders. That is of course before they arrive in Thailand and find that they can rent ANY size of motorbike whether or not they are capable, whether or not they have the right riding gear because Thailand drives on the same side of the road as the UK.

Many of them have no idea what they are getting into and some end up like the guy described in the OP.

Why should the insurance companies change just because YOU think it is a stupid policy?

I just want to make 2 points:

1- the article suggests the victim of the accident was not driving !

it cannot be a vehicle passenger's duty to check whether the driver has the proper license and insurance.

so I think travel insurance should cover accidents of passengers in any case of normal use of a normal vehicle.

2- drivers should be covered during normal use of vehicles they are licensed to drive

1- That would put the insurance costs up for ALL travellers whether they wish to ride or not and that would mean even babies and pensioners would have to bear the cost for a limited number of people to "enjoy" themselves. One thing you should consider is personal resonsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate holiday insurance to cover most if not all things that you want to do. It is NOT the responsibility of the insurance company. If you think that you will want to ride a bike, jet ski, zip wire, mountain climb or anything else YOU should ensure that you have adequate cover, nobody else.

2- Drivers are covered for normal use of vehicles they are licensed to drive..... in their own country. If you are in a different country which may have different rules, again it is YOUR responsibility to stay within the laws of that country. Nobody elses responsibility, only yours. You can Google the countries that you visit to get advice, TripAdvisor, Lonley Planet etc also have advice. Even the UK Embassy website offers advice. Only you can look it up.

That's too easy to say.

Did you ever read the terms of insurance contracts? How to choose the best one and how to compare? do you want to spend 2 workdays analyzing terms?

In my opinion, there is a need for standardized insurance categories and minimum standards, so travelers can choose what they need.

Also, insurance policies need to be published including a standardized risk/coverage matrix listing the 40 most common risks and the coverage provided by the policy.

This would make sure travelers don't subscribe to a policy that "includes motorcycles" where the fine print restricts coverage to less than 107.4 cc for example.

When I read some insurance fineprint, it seems as if it was written by crooks. For example, I have an insurance with a traveler credit card that boasts baggage insurance, yet when the airline lost a suitcase on the flight back, it was explained to me that the insurance only applies on the outward flight !!! The restriction is not explicitly mentioned in the fineprint, but it's implied in the text when they say the amount allows to buy clothes at the "destination", not meaning destination of the flight, meaning destination of the trip !

Do not this people get travel insurance? For 1 month holiday its something like $60, certainly worth it when you going over seas into unknown

He had insurance. It excluded coverage for scooters over 55cc. Which effectively nullifies scooter coverage in Thailand...

But surely the idiot who was out of control and CAUSED the accident should be paying???

Nope - here the White guy pay no matter who´s to blame ... Welcome to the Jungle blink.png

Some of you cnuts should hang your heads in shame.

A 20 year old kid has had a tragic accident, and has had his life destroyed.

All you A** holes can do is quote insurance, Thai bashing and general young people bashing...shame on you.

I hope one day you are put into the position this poor guy is in today. lets see who comes to your aid,,,,nobody.....

To the kid himself and fellow Manc....keep strong mate........you can get through this and make something of your life.

Good luck kid.

Don't forget the disgraceful road surfaces on Thailands roads..

But not ALL of the roads in Thailand are bad and there is a continual repair job going on to resurface and upgrade many roads.

True Bill, but not much in Phichit province.

i feel bad for the young man.

if anyone thinking about coming to Thailand for a holiday reads this, know ALL forms of transportation here are very dangerous.

don't come here, it is not worth it.

Is that why you don't go toThailand ?

no i live here. but most people are not me and i am not a young tourist. Most people want to have fun on their holiday and not be killed.

it must be said over and over for anyone who will listen. It is dangerous here. Transportation is dangerous here. Laws are not enforced here. You can drink and drive and no one will stop you. You can rent a scooter without a drivers license and no experience at all. It is not worth it to come here. The lawlessness and freedom is too much for teens and young people here. you can drive as fast as you want and be exposed to the murderous Thais on the highways here. I say murderous because they will run you off the road if it means passing the car in front of them. I see it everyday. If you have teenagers don't let them come here. If you have college aged children try to talk them out of it and don't fund their trip. Adults need to know you are at risk the moment your foot hits the ground here.

Edited by NCC1701A

A tragedy, exacerbated, it seems - and not for the first time - by a lack of insurance. I never take a motorcycle anywhere these days; the drivers simply aren't competent enough. I wouldn't let my eldest children in the UK have a motorbike but paid for driving lessons, and towards their first cars. Even less chance the youngest, here, will be allowed one; but again, after suitable driving instruction (that should be interesting) he can have a car.

i feel bad for the young man.

if anyone thinking about coming to Thailand for a holiday reads this, know ALL forms of transportation here are very dangerous.

don't come here, it is not worth it.

Is that why you don't go toThailand ?

no i live here. but most people are not me and i am not a young tourist. Most people want to have fun on their holiday and not be killed.

it must be said over and over for anyone who will listen. It is dangerous here. Transportation is dangerous here. Laws are not enforced here. You can drink and drive and no one will stop you. You can rent a scooter without a drivers license and no experience at all. It is not worth it to come here. The lawlessness and freedom is too much for teens and young people here. you can drive as fast as you want and be exposed to the murderous Thais on the highways here. I say murderous because they will run you off the road if it means passing the car in front of them. I see it everyday. If you have teenagers don't let them come here. If you have college aged children try to talk them out of it and don't fund their trip. Adults need to know you are at risk the moment your foot hits the ground here.

Why Sir may I ask you chose to live in such a dangerous country?

Is it due to the reason that no other 'decent' country would accept you?

Have a life...