Thailand moped crash horror leaves British student paralysed from waist down

webfact

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

Most are untrained. Watching them pick somebody up off the road is frightening. They just grab arms and legs and hike them into the back of a pick-up truck or van. no thought for spinal injuries or internal bleeding. Often those who are rescued also find their wallets lighter when they get to their destination. It is a racket run much like to tow truck rackets in the west. We see them roaring down major roads in Bangkok, sirens blaring in a hurry to rescue their next victim and, ironically, almost creating more accidents because of their haste.

Says who? I'd love to see your evidence, and justification, for your promulgation of this urban myth.

You're obviously overlooking the general use of backboards by the rescue services. As for the lighter wallets bit, you think that the rescue services do all this thieving with all the witnesses that always congregate at the scene of these incidents? They travel rapidly using sirens precisely because they are en route to emergency situations, what would you like to see them do, sit in traffic and take their time?

As for their "almost creating more accidents", an accident either happens or it doesn't. An "almost" accident doesn't exist, that would be a non accident.

Listen up Sunshine. My post is based on personal experience. I suffered an acute medical emergency here (Bangkok) some years ago. I was fortunate enough that a neighbor witnessed my misfortune and was busily contacting significant other when I was descended upon by a bunch of guys in a pick-up truck who had been alerted to my situation by the nearby moto taxi chaps. (They get a commission for spotting such instances and radioing them in.) Suddenly there were two bunches of 'rescue teams' and a kind of a stand off ensued while they argued about who would carry me off. I was unconscious - I was hauled into the back of the pick up truck, despite the remonstrations of my neighbor. In the process of hauling me into the back of the pick up truck - one guy on each foot and one guy on each arm - they tore my rotator cuff joint in my shoulder. (This was the opinion of the doctor who treated me - he said it was not an uncommon occurrence and he had seen it occur before ) My shoulder has never fully recovered. When I came to in the ER some time later my wallet was considerably lighter - as in all cash gone as was my watch. The latter were probably removed en route to the hospital.

As for the nuisance they are on the roads - well we can agree to disagree on that but let's just say they probably sometimes use the sirens unnecessarily and that their driving is sometimes reckless. The rest of it is certainly not promulgation of an urban myth. This is real and it happened to me. Your serve!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tragic... I'm very sorry

this is not a time for 'holier than thou' statements but for compassion

Wrong. It's time to reinforce for the umpteenth time that coming to Thailand and riding a m'bike without proper insurance, and often without any experience at all in m'bike riding is not a good thing to do. If even one person sees this because of the headline and DOESN'T hire a m'bike, it's worth it.

In the tourist areas on the islands one sees so many dimwitted youths riding too fast on roads they don't know, in a country where they don't know the road culture, and not wearing even a helmet- usually just shorts and flip flops, + bikini top for girls. Often see them limping around with bandages on legs and arms.

The news story doesn't give much detail, no bike info, no info on the driver and what happened to him, the cause of the accident, whether the driver was pissed or not.

The mother says she wants to publicise the insurance cover- surely that is up to the buyer to check? Last time I bought travel insurance it covered me up to 125 cc ( at least ), but I had to have a m'bike licence, which most of those tourist bikies don't have.

i feel bad for the young man.

if anyone thinking about coming to Thailand for a holiday reads this, know ALL forms of transportation here are very dangerous.

don't come here, it is not worth it.

Is that why you don't go toThailand ?

no i live here. but most people are not me and i am not a young tourist. Most people want to have fun on their holiday and not be killed.

it must be said over and over for anyone who will listen. It is dangerous here. Transportation is dangerous here. Laws are not enforced here. You can drink and drive and no one will stop you. You can rent a scooter without a drivers license and no experience at all. It is not worth it to come here. The lawlessness and freedom is too much for teens and young people here. you can drive as fast as you want and be exposed to the murderous Thais on the highways here. I say murderous because they will run you off the road if it means passing the car in front of them. I see it everyday. If you have teenagers don't let them come here. If you have college aged children try to talk them out of it and don't fund their trip. Adults need to know you are at risk the moment your foot hits the ground here.

Why Sir may I ask you chose to live in such a dangerous country?

Is it due to the reason that no other 'decent' country would accept you?

Have a life...

Actually not much more dangerous than back 'ome. I was nearly killed twice by maniacs within half an hour in my home country which has the police out to get you for the slightest road code infringement.

Oh sorry for the confusion, let me spell it out for you, they are utterly pathetic and I'd be worried if any of my loved ones needed their help in an emergency.

Most are untrained. Watching them pick somebody up off the road is frightening. They just grab arms and legs and hike them into the back of a pick-up truck or van. no thought for spinal injuries or internal bleeding. Often those who are rescued also find their wallets lighter when they get to their destination. It is a racket run much like to tow truck rackets in the west. We see them roaring down major roads in Bangkok, sirens blaring in a hurry to rescue their next victim and, ironically, almost creating more accidents because of their haste.

Says who? I'd love to see your evidence, and justification, for your promulgation of this urban myth.

You're obviously overlooking the general use of backboards by the rescue services. As for the lighter wallets bit, you think that the rescue services do all this thieving with all the witnesses that always congregate at the scene of these incidents? They travel rapidly using sirens precisely because they are en route to emergency situations, what would you like to see them do, sit in traffic and take their time?

As for their "almost creating more accidents", an accident either happens or it doesn't. An "almost" accident doesn't exist, that would be a non accident.

Listen up Sunshine. My post is based on personal experience. I suffered an acute medical emergency here (Bangkok) some years ago. I was fortunate enough that a neighbor witnessed my misfortune and was busily contacting significant other when I was descended upon by a bunch of guys in a pick-up truck who had been alerted to my situation by the nearby moto taxi chaps. (They get a commission for spotting such instances and radioing them in.) Suddenly there were two bunches of 'rescue teams' and a kind of a stand off ensued while they argued about who would carry me off. I was unconscious - I was hauled into the back of the pick up truck, despite the remonstrations of my neighbor. In the process of hauling me into the back of the pick up truck - one guy on each foot and one guy on each arm - they tore my rotator cuff joint in my shoulder. (This was the opinion of the doctor who treated me - he said it was not an uncommon occurrence and he had seen it occur before ) My shoulder has never fully recovered. When I came to in the ER some time later my wallet was considerably lighter - as in all cash gone as was my watch. The latter were probably removed en route to the hospital.

As for the nuisance they are on the roads - well we can agree to disagree on that but let's just say they probably sometimes use the sirens unnecessarily and that their driving is sometimes reckless. The rest of it is certainly not promulgation of an urban myth. This is real and it happened to me. Your serve!

You seem to have good cognitive memory of the incident, even though you were unconscious at the time.

How many lives are taken or destroyed with these stupid unsave motorbikes and cycles. Damn things should be outlawed.

So, all scooters, motorbikes, small and big and all small cars - smaller than a "tank" should be forbidden.

I drive myself on 2 and 4 wheels since long in EU and Asia and I say always, the throttle and the brakes are in the hands of the driver.

He decides how fast or slow he is driving - sorry for that young boy, as he was the pillion rider.

I never ever would drive pillion, I trust only my own hands.

Edited by ALFREDO

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

Nice story but that - "Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back." - is TING TONG

Kawasaki built them as 2 seaters and they can be used as 2 seaters.

If the passenger sits comfortable or not - is a different question. If you would not have overtaken them, they would possibly not have crashed, at least not on that day. tongue.png

This - my statement, is same ridiculous than your =not suitable for a pillion rider=

Kawasaki will not like your writing too. wink.png

You seem to have good cognitive memory of the incident, even though you were unconscious at the time.

If you read my post carefully you will note that there were witness accounts if the the events relating to the arrival of the pho Tek ting (private ambulance) and the stand off between them and the second crew of of private ambulances- I have no reason to doubt their recollections. The account of the subsequent events, my arrival at the hospital, missing timepiece and cash are recollections after I regained consciousness. Does that clarify the matter ? I have no motivation to distort or embellish. Perhaps this is unusual on this forum. A short perusal of my previous posts will reveal that I am a very judicious poster. Draw your own conclusions on that.

i feel bad for the young man.

if anyone thinking about coming to Thailand for a holiday reads this, know ALL forms of transportation here are very dangerous.

don't come here, it is not worth it.

Is that why you don't go toThailand ?

no i live here. but most people are not me and i am not a young tourist. Most people want to have fun on their holiday and not be killed.

it must be said over and over for anyone who will listen. It is dangerous here. Transportation is dangerous here. Laws are not enforced here. You can drink and drive and no one will stop you. You can rent a scooter without a drivers license and no experience at all. It is not worth it to come here. The lawlessness and freedom is too much for teens and young people here. you can drive as fast as you want and be exposed to the murderous Thais on the highways here. I say murderous because they will run you off the road if it means passing the car in front of them. I see it everyday. If you have teenagers don't let them come here. If you have college aged children try to talk them out of it and don't fund their trip. Adults need to know you are at risk the moment your foot hits the ground here.

Why Sir may I ask you chose to live in such a dangerous country?

Is it due to the reason that no other 'decent' country would accept you?

Have a life...

Read what was written again.

The comment is in respect to managing risk. The person has identified a risk and has acted to reduce and/or manage the risk. It isn't a comment about acceptability in a decent country. It is difficult for newcomers to Thailand to appreciate how dangerous it is to drive a motorbike in this country. It is challenging enough for experienced and competent drivers.

You're bang on there mate, seen the way they handle casualties!!!!

A couple of years back I was on my way home from the far east side of the San Kamphaeng Hot Springs. Turned north on 121 from 1317, went up to about 80kph, and went past 2 farang on a Ninja 650. Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back. Anyway, I guess they didn't like being passed by a CBR 250, so they gunned it and went past me, with the pillion rider grinning and flipping me the bird. Both were dressed in flop flops, shorts, "wife beater" shirts. Both in their early 20's. Oh, and of course, no helmets. Meanwhile, I'm riding with full kit.

Ok, they are now flying and try to take the curve to 108, too fast, totally misjudged it, and that was that. Down they go, flopping over and over, while the bike flips into the air, coming to rest right in front of a Hilux, which immediately ran over it. I stopped, got off the CBR, took off my helmet and walked over to where they were laying, which was actually fairly close together. One guy had a nasty gash on his head, the other looked like his face had been used for a punching bag - obviously broken nose - and both had tons of road rash that was going to hurt for a very long time. Along with one guy (the pillion rider) having his arm going in a direction that isn't normal, and in some serious pain. The Hilux driver is in a blind rage and his wife (and possibly teen aged son) had to keep him from kicking the boys. I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before. No, they each replied, in English. Ok, no sympathy from me. Went back to my bike, put on my helmet, went home.

I've seen a few more incidents similar to this, and all I can say is that stupidity is definitely not confined to any one country.

'

Nice story but that - "Ok, anyone who knows anything about bikes, knows that a Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back." - is TING TONG

Kawasaki built them as 2 seaters and they can be used as 2 seaters.

If the passenger sits comfortable or not - is a different question. If you would not have overtaken them, they would possibly not have crashed, at least not on that day. tongue.png

This - my statement, is same ridiculous than your =not suitable for a pillion rider=

Kawasaki will not like your writing too. wink.png

Are you ACTUALLY BLAMING the poster for causing the accident!!!!!!!!!

The only person at fault was the driver of the Ninja.

I don't blame the poster for walking away. If I ever see an accident happen ( haven't so far- always after the incident ) and it is caused by someone being dangerous, I shall leave them to the last to help, and even then not enthusiastically.

Do vehicle hire companies in Thailand require to see a valid driving license?

No.

True. However, in the event of an accident the police WILL require to see one, and if a tourist, an IDP as well. As with most things in Thailand, it's YOUR responsibility to comply with the requirements. This is not a nanny state.

I'm sure what most idiots with zero riding experience that hire bikes in LOS forget, is that without a valid m'bike licence they will have no insurance cover.

I'm sure the hospital looking after him will thank you for your diagnosis.

Whether or not he and his family want it plastered all over the net.

What do you think paralyzed from the "stomach" down means?

Do you think the use of euphemisms and delicate terms helps anyone? Will the condition heal itself if we use the term "boo boo"? People need to understand the consequences. This kid made a mistake, why should others make the same one?

Yes - mistake, better drive yourself, the outcome could not be much worth

and then, there is also nobody else to blame in such a case.

That's tragic, but sadly all too common in Thailand.

I know it looks like fun, and a convenient way to get around, but people who have barely/never ridden a bike before could not choose a worse place than Thailand to learn.

Throw in some beers, shorts and flip flops, plastic bucket helmets (maybe) and sandy corners...and bad things can happen.

Good luck kid.

a twenty year old kid coming on a vacation of a lifetime to Thailand? what was he thinking? what was his parents thinking? did they not know about Thailand and it's very dangerous roads? words fail me!

Yes right, the parents should have learned him to drive a motorbike good,

ordered him always to drive himself, sober of course

and should have looked that he had the right travel insurance. whistling.gif

'

People like you make me puke

I hope you have an accident and no one helps you

Karma! two fools riding a bike that is not designed to carry two nuts, giving you the bird! well they got what they deserved! as for the comment above, don't think you would be stupid enough to act like the two idiots!

Really - ?

"Ninja, of any size, really isn't built for having a passenger on the back."

"two fools riding a bike that is not designed to carry two nuts"

Why not sue Kawasaki then,

if above is true, then the Kawasaki Ninja is wrongfully licensed - registered to carry 2 persons,

so possibly has complicity and has to share the blame. blink.png

Kawasaki should sue you for writing such stupid things. bah.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

At the age of 20, had I not been involved with studies at university and paying for my education, I probably would have been excited to holiday in Thailand or another similar country.

Instead I finished my education.

Bad karma for the lad..

Sorry, can I just call this post out for what it is- a horrible, shitty mean spirited post.

Suggesting that he someone deserved to be crippled because he didn't do exactly what you did at twenty is pretty low. And, this may astound you as an educated man, but people can actually be students and holiday. I did it myself, while juggling part-times jobs as well to pay for it all. Obviously I feel bad that you weren't smart enough to be able to do that, but I'd perhaps direct your bitterness inwards rather outwards. Especially with karma,and all that.

=Moral indignation is in most cases 2 percent morality, 48 percent inhibition and 50 percent envy.= whistling.gif

Are you ACTUALLY BLAMING the poster for causing the accident!!!!!!!!!

The only person at fault was the driver of the Ninja.

I wrote to =Just1Voice=

"This - my statement, is same ridiculous than your Kawasaki Ninja =not suitable for a pillion rider=

So, I not blame him for the accident - I had in my life similar accidents happening on 2 wheels more times,

once also with a car.

People tried to drive same me and went down or with the car - flipped it on the roof,

Should I blame myself for these accidents?

All had been relatively harmless in their outcome.

(Broken legs and broken collarbone, bruises and scratched motorbikes, damaged oil pan and some damaged pride rolleyes.gif )

But if I would not have driven faster than the others could, the accidents would not have happened. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

After seeing the Thai emergency services in action at a RTA, I'm really surprised he managed to survive those injuries.

What is an RTA?

I'm sure someone else will have answered this but in case they haven't it's a road traffic accident.

Instead of motobikes , tourists coming here on holidays should rent electric bicycles . I own one myself and the top speed is 40 km/h . Never been in any dangers on the roads so far with it.

Maybe a 20 year old would consider it boring but it can be a lifesaver,

I know of at least 3 shops here in Pattaya that rent out electric bikes.

As we all know driving in Thailand is another world compared with driving in Europe so young people not used to motobikes should avoid it.

Instead of motobikes , tourists coming here on holidays should rent electric bicycles . I own one myself and the top speed is 40 km/h . Never been in any dangers on the roads so far with it.

As we all know driving in Thailand is another world compared with driving in Europe so young people not used to motobikes should avoid it.

You can still be killed on one when a drunken driver smashes his car into you or when a truck/bus brakes 'fail'. I've ridden a motorbike, with top speed of ~90 kph, here for 30 years and not had a serious accident except for coming off when I hit a large rock in the road while avoiding a car racing towards me. It's not how fast it goes it's how fast and carefully you drive it.

Unless or until someone comes up with an airbag that does this....

sphereing.jpg

...the only option is to not hire anything with an engine that has less than 4 wheels and a roof!

Perhaps you live in a town where they clean the roads, but some towns in Thailand NEVER clean the roads and even at 40kph if you hit sand on a corner you are going to be kissing tarmac.

No, I'm not saying that. Read the whole dialogue, and TRY to comprehend what is being said.

You said his insurance was inadequate as evidenced by the fact they are trying to raise money to pay for the "phone calls" and for family visiting him after the accident (the bolded words are yours if you can't remember them). Either link to a travel insurance policy that covers those costs in the event of a road accident or be a man and admit you have no idea what you are saying.

Edited by eaglesflight

Do vehicle hire companies in Thailand require to see a valid driving license?

Answer:

To rent cars, YES. In addition to a valid passport (or ID card for Thais) and a large credit card hold by the international companies of 20,000-40,000 Baht depending on the company and vehicle type hired. Local companies only want 2,000-5,000 Baht as a deposit in cash, but their cars tend to be older and often without insurance.

To rent scooters and small motorcycles, NO. If you can ride it out of the shop you can ride it anywhere, or so the logic goes.

To rent larger motorcycles such as big bikes, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I have never rented a big bike here. Other members who have should be able to tell us more.

Unless or until someone comes up with an airbag that does this....

sphereing.jpg

...the only option is to not hire anything with an engine that has less than 4 wheels and a roof!

A motorcycle airbag prototype was put through a series of tests on a Discovery Science inventors show, but it failed to inflate under certain conditions. Maybe in the not too distant future it will be on the market after some extensive testing shows it can inflate under all possible circumstances and is considered safe. But would Thai riders even wear one? I think fat chance of that. Ditto for clueless 20-year old tourists.