motorcycle helmet for baby

jpmerlin

Op: too many harsh replies here...

I'm a little nuts about safety...

I.e. Rear facing car seat only, German 4x4.

Never in a taxi.

So your choice to take your child on a motorcycle seems a little extreme to me.

That said, we all do what we can, you are trying your best, looking for the best options.

I respect that people still have to be mobile even if they only have a motorcycle.

Perhaps there are methods to have some sort of seat fabricated, something similar to those seats people put on their bicycles...

Helmets: I'm not sure but at least the Op is looking.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no idea if its true or not but i read once that babies necks are unable to cope with the weight of a helmet and it may even make things worse

in the event if an accident ..ie a broken neck etc where one might have taken the bump and lived

**no idea if this is true in real life accidents ,never tested it ,only heard that somwhere **

It is possibly true in very young babies however the op mentioned a three year old.

The bigger issue there is not so much the neck but the fact that the skull is still forming until the average child is around four. The child's head will continue to grow at a fast rate until they are about 12. Now anyone who has had to keep a child in shoes and clothes as they grow will tell you it is a never ending nightmare to keep buying new stuff as they grow out of the old. The same rules apply to helmets. Too tight and you will hurt the child's head. Too loose and it risks coming off in an accident.

There is no recommendation for children helmets of this age in the world because it is not recommended by anyone to carry a child that young on a motorcycle.

The helmets that are available are about the same standard as toys with maybe the occasional one being to the level of a cycle helmet.

Thai law is the same as the rest of the world, just not as clear "The 1 pillion passenger is supposed to sit behind the rider"

So no proper research has been done anywhere into carrying babies on motorcycles.

I know it is a big problem in Thailand as apart from my own experience and research, I have many people telling me of the daily transport issues faced by poor families who can only afford a scooter. If the current Thai laws were enforced fully then thousands would be left without daily transport. But that does not change the facts that there is no helmet available for and no way safely you can carry a three year old child on a motorcycle.

Never in a taxi.

That said, we all do what we can, you are trying your best, looking for the best options.

I respect that people still have to be mobile even if they only have a motorcycle.

Perhaps there are methods to have some sort of seat fabricated, something similar to those seats people put on their bicycles...

Perhaps there are methods to have some sort of seat fabricated, something similar to those seats people put on their bicycles..

See post #59

Never in a taxi.

Perhaps there are methods to have some sort of seat fabricated, something similar to those seats people put on their bicycles..

See post #59

I see what you mean but there's no way in hell that would protection an infant in a crash

The only way to do it safely is not have babies on motorbikes, if there was a safe seat that worked the auto seat company's would have patented it years ago

They make Billions a year from car seats, if they're was any design that would pass "western" safety stds, they would already be mass produced

To think anyone here will design a safer seat and build it is highly unlikely to put it politely... :(

Never in a taxi.

See post #59

I see what you mean but there's no way in hell that would protection an infant in a crash

The only way to do it safely is not have babies on motorbikes, if there was a safe seat that worked the auto seat company's would have patented it years ago

They make Billions a year from car seats, if they're was any design that would pass "western" safety stds, they would already be mass produced

To think anyone here will design a safer seat and build it is highly unlikely to put it politely... sad.png

Sorry...i meant to refer to my reply on that post..... viz ;Yeh, i'm sure that that'll make a world of difference when the sooner or later collision/slide off or whatever scenario presents itself.....[sarcastic]ish wink.png

I do agree 100% with your post tho....

Some comments here are so out of touch with reality (possibly because the posters don't even live in Thailand) that it's not worth commenting on.

OP, well done for planning to buy a helmet for your kid. I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet.

Amazing how many people move to Thailand and follow the saying monkey see, monkey do.

The Thais do it, so common sense and basic intelligence are put aside, and they then do it too.

Perhaps they just aren't very intelligent from the get go.

"I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet."

That's the best grab for some sort of logic I've seen in quite a while. biggrin.png congratulations. biggrin.png

"Perhaps they just aren't very intelligent from the get go"

You've got that dead right...

Cant be tossed looking for it right now, but one, [now banned] jerk said in another thread that it was fine to take a child on his bike as long as the child "held on triple tight".. crazy.gif <deleted>??

But all the Thais do it, and most of them haven't killed or mutilated their child yet, so it's perfectly good parenting to choose this option. rolleyes.gif

I mean really, is there anything so necessary and important that you choose to take your child on a motorbike, amongst Thai drivers?

If the answer's yes, you have failed as a parent.

coffee1.gif

A slight change of topic but still concerning Child Safety.

Many posters have their feet firmly places in the 'under no circumstances should you take your chid on a bike' camp...

While I agree, I'd never have my Child on a Bike and only under very specific circumstances which involve a lack of a viable safer alternative would I allow my child to be in a car without a Child Seat.

However, I recognise and respect that others may have different needs, resulting in a lack of alternative to taking their child on a bike.

So.. What about 'holidaying' >>> ??? In the past when visiting Koh Samet, I've found using the ATV (Quad bikes) an excellent way to get around.

What are ThaiVisa members thoughts on taking my Child (and Wife) 3 up on an ATV on an Island such as Koh Samet ???

Many posters have their feet firmly places in the 'under no circumstances should you take your chid on a bike' camp...

While I agree, I'd never have my Child on a Bike and only under very specific circumstances which involve a lack of a viable safer alternative would I allow my child to be in a car without a Child Seat.

However, I recognise and respect that others may have different needs, resulting in a lack of alternative to taking their child on a bike.

So.. What about 'holidaying' >>> ??? In the past when visiting Koh Samet, I've found using the ATV (Quad bikes) an excellent way to get around.

What are ThaiVisa members thoughts on taking my Child (and Wife) 3 up on an ATV on an Island such as Koh Samet ???

Why even ask?..you seem smart enough safety wise to know the answer already.

There are probably more injuries/deaths on quads than any other vehicle percentage wise ....

Edited by andreandre

Why even ask?..you seem smart enough safety wise to know the answer already.

There are probably more injuries/deaths on quads than any other vehicle percentage wise ....

I wasn't aware of the high accident stats for Quad Bikes / ATV's.

When travelling to Samet we have to take a boat (or Speed boat), we are Isolated from a decent hospital, then those Green Pickup Taxi's hurtling people about...

Thus a visit to Koh Samet comes with associated risk... I may be tempted to use an ATV to get around rather than relying on the Green Pickup Taxis... The other alternative is simply staying put at one resort (beach).

However, for me the only real alternative or option is to travel a little further and Visit Koh Chang with my own car (with fitted child seat).

IMO....No one apart from the many lower socioeconomic classes of Thais [who have little or no choice in the matter }has any right and or reason to carry small children on a motorcycle..ziltch, nada ,nothing !

To do so shows a very low mentality by having scant disregard for the life of such a sacred, innocent,vulnerable precious thing that a human child is

A criminal charge of reckless endangerment should be thrown with all its might at these morons who decide to embark on such activities.

A motorcycle is not a toy,its not for giving some kid a "treat" zipping down to the 7/11..and saying, Its alright, its just local..Some 2/3 of accidents happen "just local" ..

Of course, it's everyone's own choice to do as they want in life, but when it comes to treating children who basically have no say and absolutely no idea of the inherent dangers and the chance of terrible repercussions when things go bad, its a choice that needs to be very carefully considered and you must be prepared to face the consequences.

In my long riding life i have seen more than enough severed limbs and torn up disfigured human bodies of adults in crashes to make me never, to even think about carrying a child, let alone doing it.I have been there when big strong grown men are screaming and screaming in pain after an incident..it it truely heartwrenching and disturbing in so many aspects.

I have also, as i posted a while ago in another similar thread,been witness to some moron westerners whose scooter was just clipped by a car on Phuket..''just local riding" they said.

The very young child had slid under the car that had clipped them and was roadrashed nearly totally 100% of its tiny body..the screams of that child and also now of the parents joining in was truely unbelievable.I still have bad moments thinking of it and i had absolutely no ties with these people..total strangers to me. can you immagine if they were your own family?.......

Your call...if you really believe that you can stomach seeing and hearing your own beloved flesh and blood in this state..you go for it..it is after all a choice you will have made.Yours and yours alone! You will have to live with it for the rest of your life!

Edited by andreandre

IMO....No one apart from the many lower socioeconomic classes of Thais [who have little or no choice in the matter }has any right and or reason to carry small children on a motorcycle..ziltch, nada ,nothing !
To do so shows a very low mentality by having scant disregard for the life of such a sacred, innocent,vulnerable precious thing that a human child is
A criminal charge of reckless endangerment should be thrown with all its might at these morons who decide to embark on such activities.
A motorcycle is not a toy,its not for giving some kid a "treat" zipping down to the 7/11..and saying, Its alright, its just local..Some 2/3 of accidents happen "just local" ..
Of course, it's everyone's own choice to do as they want in life, but when it comes to treating children who basically have no say and absolutely no idea of the inherent dangers and the chance of terrible repercussions when things go bad, its a choice that needs to be very carefully considered and you must be prepared to face the consequences.
In my long riding life i have seen more than enough severed limbs and torn up disfigured human bodies of adults in crashes to make me never, to even think about carrying a child, let alone doing it.I have been there when big strong grown men are screaming and screaming in pain after an incident..it it truely heartwrenching and disturbing in so many aspects.
I have also, as i posted a while ago in another similar thread,been witness to some moron westerners whose scooter was just clipped by a car on Phuket..''just local riding" they said.
The very young child had slid under the car that had clipped them and was roadrashed nearly totally 100% of its tiny body..the screams of that child and also now of the parents joining in was truely unbelievable.I still have bad moments thinking of it and i had absolutely no ties with these people..total strangers to me. can you immagine if they were your own family?.......
Your call...if you really believe that you can stomach seeing and hearing your own beloved flesh and blood in this state..you go for it..it is after all a choice you will have made.Yours and yours alone! You will have to live with it for the rest of your life!

I hope you have bought all the poor people around you a nice car so they don't have to risk their kids' lives on the road by only having a motorcycle to get around on.

We all know cars are safer, but even us 'Rich Farangs' can't always afford a car. If you can, then great, but it doesn't give you the right to disrespect those who still aspire to car ownership.

I hope you have bought all the poor people around you a nice car so they don't have to risk their kids' lives on the road by only having a motorcycle to get around on.

We all know cars are safer, but even us 'Rich Farangs' can't always afford a car. If you can, then great, but it doesn't give you the right to disrespect those who still aspire to car ownership.

Sorry but i don't get your point....If you are referring, as i was to Thai people......I genuinely wish that the poorer Thais did not have to carry children on motorbikes ,..as for me buying the millions and millions in this catagory a car.....?????

If you are referring to a farang not having a car.....thats a whole different story..I, myself don't have a car,[because simply i choose not to have one] but you will never in a million years see my with a child on my motorcycle...never!

You can buy a reasonable car to go from A to B for near the price of a scooter and i would suggest that if the average farang living here with children can not afford this "under 100,000baht" to buy a car, there is something very wrong indeed.

If you,yourself are in this catagory, i feel for you.

This is not being disrespectful at all,IMO just honest.

EDIT..I have looked at cars for friends to buy as daily transport for 50- 60K+ that are more than adequate for the purpose.

Edited by andreandre

I'm calling troll on this one.

post-190720-0-44426500-1439550989_thumb.

A troll in what way?

Do you honestly believe that every foreigner who comes here should be able to afford a car? 8 years ago I couldn't and it wasn't until my son was four that I could. Until then we had little choice but to ferry him about on a scooter. Both my wife and I hated it and I bought a car as soon as could. I know many foreigners who have young families who also aren't wealthy enough to buy a car. Also, if you can save 100k for a crappy old pice of crap, you can save up for a deposit on a new small car as it's about the same.

A troll in what way?

Do you honestly believe that every foreigner who comes here should be able to afford a car? 8 years ago I couldn't and it wasn't until my son was four that I could. Until then we had little choice but to ferry him about on a scooter. Both my wife and I hated it and I bought a car as soon as could. I know many foreigners who have young families who also aren't wealthy enough to buy a car. Also, if you can save 100k for a crappy old pice of crap, you can save up for a deposit on a new small car as it's about the same.

I feel that you were labeled as a troll purely by reference to your reply to my post..you must admit that your reply is quite bizarre..

eg ; Suggesting that i should be buying cars for all the poor Thai people etc..

Suggesting that i am disrespecting those who still aspire to own a car...

Why not reply to my answer to your bizarre post instead.

As i said , if you are a farang living here who really can not afford a basic car at least, i really do feel for you.

You would rather risk the life of your child on a motorbike than have to drive a ''crappy'' car?bah.gif

That is your choice, up to you..Not one that i would make.

Edited by andreandre

What is the going price for your child's life these days?

Can't be much as you can always just grow another one.

You can be just like the Thai's then with their belief in reincarnation.

When my son was born I was a poorly paid motorcycle instructor. I could only afford one mode of motorised transport and that was my motorcycle - which I needed for work.

I would use public transport or a child seat on the back of a push bike to get my child about.

When he was a little older I managed to get a side car, even that was fitted with a roll cage and proper child safety seat.

But there again I value my Sons life above my own.

How much do you value yours?

There is always a choice