PM Pruyut concerned as Suthep to announce future plans today

webfact

This had not been the first time Suthep was involved in scandal.

In the mid-1990s he arranged for the title deeds for nearly 600 plots of land to be passed to farmers in the Phuket province and it emerged that 11 wealthy families were also beneficiaries.

The resulting outcry led to the overthrow of the Democrats.

Edited by Jupiterjim

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while he was in the process of holding Bangkok to ransom I was worried that he was expounding similar rhetoric to Benito Mussolini but then look what we got. if he re-entered politics surely he couldn't be any more extreme in his views against democracy than what we have right now............ or could he?unsure.png

Edited by Asiantravel

I guess the political situation in Thailand is not abnormal... how many coups were there in Thailand the past 20 to 30 years? I do not know the number but suspect its quite a few...Its either a patronising attitude to each other or that as a nation they are always scheming to commit corruption at the expense of the country and that they are generally an unethical and poorly disciplined nation...

I acutely aware that corruption is wide spread in most "developing" countries and also in some of the big economies of the world... but Thailand seems to be more prevalent to experience the affect of a coup than most countries.. including Africa and South America..

As I always say .. a country deserves the government they voted for!

while he was in the process of holding Bangkok to ransom I was worried that he was expounding similar rhetoric to Benito Mussolini but then look what we got. if he re-entered politics surely he couldn't be any more extreme in his views against democracy than what we have right now............ or could he?unsure.png

Well I suppose that his views on democracy are more or less in line with those of the junta - the appropriate government for the people is the one which I/we choose for them. What is more important is that he brings significant support with him. whether that support is due to personal devotion to him, inspired leadership, his ability to raise and disburse money or a Thai version of the old medieval feudal levee is debatable. It does mean that the junta can point to his supporters and say that they have the backing of a popular movement. Not an electoral majority, probably not the majority of the people, but non the less a popular movement. They will allow him his antics, because they are useful to them.

As ever in Thailand there are many layers. It may be that the support of a popular movement, headed by an ally with a strong regional power base may be useful to heal / prevent some of the divisions among the juntas backers which are rumoured to exist.

Edited by JAG

This is the same guy that shutdown Bangkok for months, blocked the voting polls and threatened to kidnap the Prime Minister?

I had assumed he was put in jail.

Amazing Thailand.

Courts on the way for him !

But Thaksin is courted and sentenced to jail ! is he in jail ??

Whatever you like to think otherwise, Suthep has huge support in this country probably more than any other person and therefore is a threat to the government. In spite of everything he is still very popular and could rally millions of people if he cares to do so. He has the courage and charisma and could possibly be our next Prime Minister. Some of you TV posters might not like him but you are in a tiny minority.

This is the same guy that shutdown Bangkok for months, blocked the voting polls and threatened to kidnap the Prime Minister?

Amazing Thailand.

If by "he" you mean Thaksin, no he is not in prison, he is as free as a bird. thumbsup.gif

Whatever you like to think otherwise, Suthep has huge support in this country probably more than any other person and therefore is a threat to the government. In spite of everything he is still very popular and could rally millions of people if he cares to do so. He has the courage and charisma and could possibly be our next Prime Minister. Some of you TV posters might not like him but you are in a tiny minority.

That might be the most misinformed post I have ever read here.

Suthep brought down the democrats in the 1990s with the land scandal. They lost control and have lost every election since by a landslide.

He got so desperate he illegally blocked the election last time. His thugs physically prevented Thais from going to the polls.

Not sure where you get your info, but I can tell you first hand that from face to face encounters with him, in the south the general emotion is one of distrust, and derision to some degree. And this is in his home state. The lack of respect the people (common, everyday, market people, with basic homes and kids in schools etc) have for him is palpable. He is little more than a sefie opportunity for $hits and giggles. If he is so poorly thought of in the south, one can only wonder the chagrin the rest of the country hold him in, (excluding BKK, where it's the "what's in it for me" class, who will fight and bash to maintain their towers of wealth.) If there was another viable alternative, the righteous monk (joke) would be history.

Not sure where you get your info, but I can tell you first hand that from face to face encounters with him, in the south the general emotion is one of distrust, and derision to some degree. And this is in his home state. The lack of respect the people (common, everyday, market people, with basic homes and kids in schools etc) have for him is palpable. He is little more than a sefie opportunity for $hits and giggles. If he is so poorly thought of in the south, one can only wonder the chagrin the rest of the country hold him in, (excluding BKK, where it's the "what's in it for me" class, who will fight and bash to maintain their towers of wealth.) If there was another viable alternative, the righteous monk (joke) would be history.

Notwithstanding that it is not impossible that he could end up, if not Prime Minister, then in a senior position in whatever "civilian" government the junta install.

The junta lack any credible popular mandate. Obviously they cannot rely upon an open election, past experience rather demonstrates that the results would not be acceptable. Now a mass popular movement ( quite how " mass" of course need not be clearly defined), could be a useful substitute, and allow them to claim some semblance of a popular mandate. At the end of the day Sutheps movement are " the good people ", and having this gangster back at or near the top may be viewed as preferable to the elected alternative.

Whether such a move could find any international credibility apart from the usual suspects is debatable. Domestic support doesn't matter in the short term, the army will take care of that. It would certainly be well received on Thai Visa, the "Mandela of the East" and all that!

It's all conjecture of course. Maybe I "think too mut"?

Notwithstanding that it is not impossible that he could end up, if not Prime Minister, then in a senior position in whatever "civilian" government the junta install.

The junta lack any credible popular mandate. Obviously they cannot rely upon an open election, past experience rather demonstrates that the results would not be acceptable. Now a mass popular movement ( quite how " mass" of course need not be clearly defined), could be a useful substitute, and allow them to claim some semblance of a popular mandate. At the end of the day Sutheps movement are " the good people ", and having this gangster back at or near the top may be viewed as preferable to the elected alternative.

Whether such a move could find any international credibility apart from the usual suspects is debatable. Domestic support doesn't matter in the short term, the army will take care of that. It would certainly be well received on Thai Visa, the "Mandela of the East" and all that!

I too think too mut. However I don't think the Thai peapon will accept him in this day and (Facebook) age. I am half expecting a Chuan type figure to emerge... (but for the love of <insert deity of choice> I pray they don't recycle Anand Panwhatshisfrigginnameachon... the great chameleon.

Amazing Thailand.

He would be if it were not for the fact that he is a coward and skipped bail to become a fugitive from justice.

He has always been able to return to Thailand but that would mean going to jail and facing a further 15 criminal charges. He cannot allow gimself to lose that much face.

I too think too mut. However I don't think the Thai peapon will accept him in this day and (Facebook) age. I am half expecting a Chuan type figure to emerge... (but for the love of <insert deity of choice> I pray they don't recycle Anand Panwhatshisfrigginnameachon... the great chameleon.
All the Junta have are recycled old political dinosaurs - who of course cling to the " good people born to rule mantra " !

I too rather pin my hopes on the emerging political consciousness of the " Facebook generation". I know many dismiss it ("social media"), as facile and superficial, and much of it is, but it is a channel of communication and discussion which they cannot effectively control. They could close it down of course, but that would cause huge discontent!

Thinking "too mut" I do wonder when the sad event happens, whether they will close it down, at least for a time, on the basis that it is inappropriate for a nation in mourning?

Edited by JAG

Amazing Thailand.

He would be if it were not for the fact that he is a coward and skipped bail to become a fugitive from justice.

He has always been able to return to Thailand but that would mean going to jail and facing a further 15 criminal charges. He cannot allow gimself to lose that much face.

In 2006, a SE Asian Military Junta overthrew the democratically elected PM, appointed Senators that stacked the kangaroo court with Prime Ministers enemies.

Now you know.

Amazing Thailand.

"I had assumed he was put in jail"

Then perhaps you're unaware how slowly carefully court-cases proceed in Thailand ? There are still cases and appeals underway, arising from protests several years ago, let alone last year ! rolleyes.gif

use section 44 and jail him....just to protect Thai people in order to make them happy. If you want happiness don't let him do what he is intending to do. Thailand does not need any of those 12 people in that so called committee, all useless.

Amazing Thailand.

In 2006, a SE Asian Military Junta overthrew the democratically elected PM, appointed Senators that stacked the kangaroo court with Prime Ministers enemies.

Now you know.

.........................."In 2006, a SE Asian Military Junta overthrew the democratically elected PM"........................

Are you sure you have your facts 100% correct there chief ?

Amazing Thailand.

Now you know.

.........................."In 2006, a SE Asian Military Junta overthrew the democratically elected PM"........................

Are you sure you have your facts 100% correct there chief ?

Obviously not !

Amazing Thailand.

Now you know.

hardly a kangeroo court with 17 clear cut cases of proved corruption against him. Or do you really think that giving a huge government loan to Burma provided they buy his sattelite company's equipment is not corrupt. You should not make such stupid posts

Amazing Thailand.

Now you know.

Please do some research before you make stupid posts.

In 2006, Thaksin called an election which the Democrats boycotted, as they were entitled to do. The TRT could not get enough seats to form a parliament, even though Thaksin paid some smaller parties to stand against the TRT.

He then went to the King and resigned as the caretaker PM and his place was taken by Police General Chitchai Wannasathit. Thaksin vowed to quit politics forever.

48 days later he took back the reins as caretaker PM but was never formally confirmed in that position by the King.

He was therefore not elected as PM nor was he legally in that position so HOW can he have been overthrown? The was still no election and only a caretaker government.