What I Enjoy/Detest About Thai Visa Forum

fang37

For example, someone makes comment which rattles you. Too close to home?

Religion?

Gender bias?

Home country?

In making comments, please be courteous regarding TV management, members & the public.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detest is a bit strong.

I like that there's a large forum devoted to a place I hold such an interest in. I think it's a shame that it's often dominated by those with a particular point of view, who tend to shout down and belittle anyone who doesn't share it.

Please do not post using all caps, this includes topic titles. When you look at the forum page, how topic titles do you see in all caps? Most of the time none. Please see this part of the forum rules:

Forum Netiquette
1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.
Topic title has now been edited to remove all caps.

As I've commented before I use the forum for a bit of light reading. I post if something interests me but never go back to see any replies.

Other people will have different views and that is natural, I'm just not interested in debating them. Long held views are often well entrenched by the media and neither logic or reason is likely to dislodge them.

Many of my views have changed over the last few years as I realised I'd been conned into a paradigm of BS, but everyone has their epiphany only when the time is right.

To be honest Fang

sometimes I don't like the way that people will post very aggressive and malicious words knowing that they are apparently anonymous, reall keyboard warriors!

I always think when I read this cowardly stuff what would be the scenario if they said half of their malicious spiteful rhetoric face to face with the poster they are having a go at, would they be so brave eh?

I think that booze can make them spout off like this and maybe frustration especially if they are losing a battle of words in a thread.

Personally I just want to be happy and smiley when I am under the influence after a mild sensation of the nectar and they the ones I am talking about seem to go all aggressive nasty and bitter.

Edited by n210mp

The apparent trollish type comments by a few members that have a higher post count.

They seem to want to play the fool relying on Google & appear to have poorly thought out responses.

Then become 'smug' as they think they've 'won'.

Never mind.

smile.png

What I do enjoy on the forum and what makes it so worthwhile for me is the wisdom, intellect and good humour shown by so many of the silent quiet majority

Also the tongue in cheek stuff when a poster delivers an intellectual uppercut that the one receiving the accolade doesn't even know he was hit with or when a poster is being fantastically and brilliantly sarcastic and others dont realise this sarcasm

Great forum most of the time, occasionally interfered with a bit too early in a thread!

I dislike the constant misuse of the word 'Troll'.

A troll to me is a person who constantly tries to start arguments. The majority of the posters here are older with Thai wives and that is the group who you set out to antagonize in many of your posts. Your post reminds me of Bill Cosby talking about morals.wai2.gif

A troll to me is a person who constantly tries to start arguments. The majority of the posters here are older with Thai wives and that is the group who you set out to antagonize in many of your posts. Your post reminds me of Bill Cosby talking about morals.wai2.gif

I'm not setting out to antagonise anyone - just voicing an opinion that differs from some. This is a website for anyone with an interest in living in Thailand, not a clubhouse for old men with Thai wives. Surely there's room for a few other voices now and then?

Edited by SoiBiker

For me, different views are welcome - give perspective.

A thick skin does help. Some enjoy character assassination.

Good night all.

Of course you were not trying to start a sh**storm troll thread by posting "what I ......detest about Thai Visa" cheesy.gif I of course think your motives were pure and you only wanted to hear some uplifting views about what people enjoy about Thai Visa.

Edited by lostoday

Good night all.

Of course you were not trying to start a sh**storm troll thread by posting "what I ......detest about Thai Visa" cheesy.gif

Definitely not, Sir!

Good night all.

Of course you were not trying to start a sh**storm troll thread by posting "what I ......detest about Thai Visa" cheesy.gif

Definitely not, Sir!

Yeah right.

Edited by lostoday

Though you mean CH is a resident troll...just asking

As I've commented before I use the forum for a bit of light reading. I post if something interests me but never go back to see any replies.

Other people will have different views and that is natural, I'm just not interested in debating them. Long held views are often well entrenched by the media and neither logic or reason is likely to dislodge them.

Many of my views have changed over the last few years as I realised I'd been conned into a paradigm of BS, but everyone has their epiphany only when the time is right.

Quote Many of my views have changed over the last few years unquote. I feel the same way. Living and studying history has convinced me of this. The world has become a greedy, obsessive, domineering, Shole. I watched this Republican governor from Wisconsin on Fox news sound like the American savior who is running for president stating that raising the minimum wage was not necessarily a good idea the we must educate people more to get higher paying jobs? Starting when? Kids are coming out of university with big debt loads and no hope of a job. They study for jobs that do not exist and the jobs that exist go begging. We will always need the lower paid service workers and they deserve some dignity. This is the same governor that through legislation not negotiation brought unions and organized labor to their knees. All Republican governors are like minded. They divide the population into sections then attack them separately. The low paid workers hate the unions, the unions hate the rich and the rich despise us all and the Republicans feed on this. Their philosophy is to divide and conquer.

The great thing about getting old is you don't give a rats arse about what people think !

Behavior variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD).

"This condition is characterized by prominent changes in personality, interpersonal relationships and conduct that often occur in people in their 50s and 60s, but can develop as early as their 20s or as late as their 80s. In bvFTD, the nerve cell loss is most prominent in areas that control conduct, judgment, empathy and foresight, among other abilities."

Enjoy yourself..

I love Thaivisa and spend a happy hour each morning reading news updates. I love verbal jousting on controversial subjects like nuisance dogs knowing I can't lose.

I dislike clicking on a headline/OP that turns out to be on Cambodia. I've done Cambodia & have no further interest in it. Could it not be possible to mark such posts with a C. Also I often click on requests for help/information to find the poster is in Chiang Mai or Phuket. Is n't there a way of marking these posts with a Geographical highlighter?

I find this whole site entertaining, informative and professionally constructed.

PRO's

1. Thai Visa has to be the biggest English knowledge base in Thailand.

2. That being said, there are many useful and true experiences shared to learn from.

3. The majority of the expat community rely on TV for information on a whole range of topics.

4. Many topics are up to date and that is always helpful with changing rules and regulations.

5. There are also many genuinely nice people on this forum who are willing to share their experiences.

CON's

1. Posters that take such a negative, personal interest in someone for no reason, while constantly building themselves up, you really have to question why they have all this negativity?

It still amazes me that posters that have never lived some where have all this first hand experience they gleamed from Google and quote it as gospel. "i.e. my kids are better off in a Thai school because of all the school shootings in the USA"

The Fact is if you divide the number of kids in the US school system by the number of kids killed in the last 100 years in school shootings, you would find the odds of getting struct by lightning are much higher. However, logic never comes in to play and you have to question people trying to rationalize google and using that as a basis to make life decisions for themselves and family void of any actual or factual experience.

2. Someone ALWAYS interjects they have more than the topic. i.e. " 6 houses, 3 wives, 3 corporations and end up in a shack in Isaan.

3. Boastful claims that lack any evidence.

4. Posters thinking they are so important, that you owe them an answer and if you don't answer them personally then you must be a liar? Really?

Edited by bwpage3