Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

@Asheron

You asked me exactly the same question earlier in this thread and I made very clear to you what I think about those who spread hatred through their use of bigotry and intolerance.

You want to see it again then read all the posts on this thread.

Didn't realize it was you but i rather not go through 23 pages to find your answer...

But lets assume you said it was bigotry to have a "white face" as ugly... the question, atleast for me, rises "which kind of color should the face then had?".

Answered that as well.

You don't use imagery to teach adjectives such as this in any language. You use synonyms or antonyms to explain it in a mother tongue and use that understanding to teach it in a second language. Any educator would know that.

You don't use bigoted judgements based on racist attitudes to skin colour.

Any colour.

It's nothing but intolerance if you judge an individual by colour, faith, nationality, life style choices or gender.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Asheron

You asked me exactly the same question earlier in this thread and I made very clear to you what I think about those who spread hatred through their use of bigotry and intolerance.

Didn't realize it was you but i rather not go through 23 pages to find your answer...

But lets assume you said it was bigotry to have a "white face" as ugly... the question, atleast for me, rises "which kind of color should the face then had?".

Answered that as well.

You don't use imagery to teach adjectives such as this in any language. You use synonyms or antonyms to explain it in a mother tongue and use that understanding to teach it in a second language. Any educator would know that.

Any colour.

It's nothing but intolerance if you judge an individual by colour, faith, nationality, life style choices or gender.

But what if it wasn't meant as a racist thing? Because we all know (right?) that thai people view dark skin as highly undesirable and to them it is ugly. And in the west many think that a sun tan is very nice looking and desirable and subconsciously many think that it's a sign of wealth and prosperity.

@Asheron

Answered that as well.

Any colour.

But what if it wasn't meant as a racist thing? Because we all know (right?) that thai people view dark skin as highly undesirable and to them it is ugly. And in the west many think that a sun tan is very nice looking and desirable and subconsciously many think that it's a sign of wealth and prosperity.

Deliberate or not it was racist.

Deliberate or not it reinforces prejudices based on colour.

Deliberate or not it was crass, stupid and ignorant.

Also utterly useless as a teaching tool. Perfect for teaching bigotry but not accurate and intelligent use of language.

But then prejudice rarely is intelligent.

It would have been so much easier to have an ugly witch and a princess to illustrate the vocabulary.

That wouldn't placate the PC crowd, that would be ageism, how dare you call an old woman ugly etc. Witches need a little love as well

Answered that as well.

Any colour.

Deliberate or not it was racist.

Deliberate or not it reinforces prejudices based on colour.

Deliberate or not it was crass, stupid and ignorant.

Also utterly useless as a teaching tool. Perfect for teaching bigotry but not accurate and intelligent use of language.

But then prejudice rarely is intelligent.

Surely "something" can only be racist if it was deliberate? Because if not... that's a quick-stepped march into the "thought crime" area of 1984.

No it doesn't have to be if the bigotry is so deeply accepted that it is not recognised for what it is.

I've read 1984 and recognising prejudice for what it is, is the thought crime.

Edit: Poorly worded sentence.

Edited by Bluespunk

It would have been so much easier to have an ugly witch and a princess to illustrate the vocabulary.

That wouldn't placate the PC crowd, that would be ageism, how dare you call an old woman ugly etc. Witches need a little love as well

And now, here we go: what is the difference between...let's say ...a witch or a 3-eyed monster and a dark-skinned person?

Let's see, if you can figure it out for yourself and why one depiction is racist and the other is not!?

...hmmm...huh...got it already?

And now, here we go: what is the difference between...let's say ...a witch or a 3-eyed monster and a dark-skinned person?

Let's see, if you can figure it out for yourself and why one depiction is racist and the other is not!?

none ?

Although Thailand doesn't mean "free land" like many think, it is indeed free to express one's opinions. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the beholder in Thailand thinks white is more beautiful than black - get over it.

Now we are getting there. 100% correct

Uhm, witches and 3 eyed monsters are fictional? Black people aren't?

Yeah, got it when I wrote it.

HaHa LOL caught me on that. I was thinking more along the lines of big nose with warts on it!

Some individuals are hot.

Some individuals are not.

It's not a matter of skin color.

Now for individuals that have a personal preference of attraction towards a skin color and a lack of attraction to another skin color, is THAT racist?

Well, I guess it depends how that got into their brains ... a can of worms question really.

I think in general Filipinos are hotter than Thais.

Also Dominicans (sizzling "Blatinos" and most with African blood) hotter than Peruvians.

Is that racist?

Where does it end?

Back to the chart, IF it is true that there is a widespread cultural tendency in Thai society to promote the message that dark skin is ugly and light skin is lovely, and I think there is ... it's certainly legit to question the ethics of that ... if nothing else about how toxic those skin whitening creams are!

As I said before, I suspect the roots of this are similar to many other countries ... a class differentiation thing ... people who work in the fields get darker skin.

Edited by Jingthing

I visited my Japanese gf in Japan and asked what people think when they see us walking holding hands, based on. Knowing how they view Koreans, She replied oh Japanese people not predjudiced, only against black people, your white no problem. Not much different from here.

@Asheron

Answered that as well.

Any colour.

Because something was not meant to be racist does not change the fact that it was and is racist. And while many posters seem to disagree, I think we are moving away from the key point that started this whole discussion. Since when is it ever right to push one's opinion on the definition of ugly on young children via indoctrination at school?

Thailand is a xenophobic racist country. Period.

I don't like the double charging for foreigners at Tourist sites (including zoos) and I don't like the way they do it (Thai numerals so that the farangs can't read what the Thais are paying).

Further: The Thai Cycling Association are charging farangs 5 x more than Thais for cycle race licences in defiance of their commitment to the UCI Constitution which emphasizes equal treatment for ALL athletes. It's a disgrace.

So this latest bit of nonsense is par for the course in my humble opinion.

Don't go to the Zoos. Simple. Or learn basic Thai...you know...one to ten.....then hundreds...

Don't blame the Thais for your cycling fees...nobody wants to see MAMILs......anywhere. Take the hint.

Don't know what MAMILs are?...Middle Aged Men in Lycra......often seen hanging around coffee shops telling each other what a good ride they were.

Disgusting post. Don't you have a brain?

We try again, Nothing wrong with the chart,as far as Thaiand is concerned. Its in the culture,and there is nothing one can do about it. It may upset people from a PC country.Remember

PC has ruined most peoples lives,and this is also one of the main reasons we all love to live in Thailand. The thought of having to live back in the UK makes me shudder.

If the chart is doing the job,then cool. Their country their customs their cultur. I am pleased to be able to live here.

HaHa LOL caught me on that. I was thinking more along the lines of big nose with warts on it!

AAAAAH ! That would still be wrong, you mustn't judge people by their looks, you will be having a go at the disabled next. Remember Bill and Ben the flower pot men ? no black flower pots, we were obviously being racially indoctrinated from an early age, i was glad to see the back of that weed, scobalob.

Once again, I think so many of you are missing the point. You are expressing YOUR ideas of what YOU think is beautiful, handsome, hot, not hot, desirable, not desirable, racist, not racist, etc. That's fine for you as an individual but not for an educational system. And, yes, culture can be changed. Like America and other countries, it was Thai culture in the past to have slavery but the culture evolved and changed. And, it can change on attitudes of race and skin color. All those endless tv commercials for skin whitening products--wouldn't it be nice if at least the educational system wasn't blasting the message that only white skin is 'handsome', and therefore good and desirable.

Has no one noticed?

Actually if we met in real life "Pretty" or "Handsome" with their large deformed eyes you think they would not be regarded as "ugly" ?

I for one would freak out thinking aliens have landed!

This is Thailand's obsession with fair skin and beauty stereotypes

Edited by Linzz

We try again, Nothing wrong with the chart,as far as Thaiand is concerned. Its in the culture,and there is nothing one can do about it. It may upset people from a PC country.Remember

PC has ruined most peoples lives,and this is also one of the main reasons we all love to live in Thailand. The thought of having to live back in the UK makes me shudder.

If the chart is doing the job,then cool. Their country their customs their cultur. I am pleased to be able to live here.

Here we go again. It is not teaching vocabulary. It is not the appropriate way to teach adjectives such as this.

For teaching racist and/or bigoted notions it is perfect.

Again, being against racism and prejudicial thinking based on colour is not PC, its just the right thing to do.

PC hasn't ruined any lives, pure nonsense. It has made prejudice, bigotry, discrimination based on faith/gender/life style choices socially unacceptable.

I'm fine with that.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thailand is a xenophobic racist country. Period.

I don't like the double charging for foreigners at Tourist sites (including zoos) and I don't like the way they do it (Thai numerals so that the farangs can't read what the Thais are paying).

Further: The Thai Cycling Association are charging farangs 5 x more than Thais for cycle race licences in defiance of their commitment to the UCI Constitution which emphasizes equal treatment for ALL athletes. It's a disgrace.

So this latest bit of nonsense is par for the course in my humble opinion.

Don't go to the Zoos. Simple. Or learn basic Thai...you know...one to ten.....then hundreds...

Don't blame the Thais for your cycling fees...nobody wants to see MAMILs......anywhere. Take the hint.

Don't know what MAMILs are?...Middle Aged Men in Lycra......often seen hanging around coffee shops telling each other what a good ride they were.

Disgusting post. Don't you have a brain?

Dont agreeeeee, MAMILs a pain, In the past no one dressed up like tour de France competitors. These days its dress your self baby.

The other day even the barber was wearing his kit, he stank. Go faster suits and hats?

Once again, I think so many of you are missing the point. You are expressing YOUR ideas of what YOU think is beautiful, handsome, hot, not hot, desirable, not desirable, racist, not racist, etc. That's fine for you as an individual but not for an educational system. And, yes, culture can be changed. Like America and other countries, it was Thai culture in the past to have slavery but the culture evolved and changed. And, it can change on attitudes of race and skin color. All those endless tv commercials for skin whitening products--wouldn't it be nice if at least the educational system wasn't blasting the message that only white skin is 'handsome', and therefore good and desirable.

Maybe, but that's only YOUR idea of what YOU think is right.

Here we go again. It is not teaching vocabulary. It is not the appropriate way to teach adjectives such as this.

Again, being against racism and prejudicial thinking based on colour is not PC, its just the right thing to do.

PC hasn't ruined any lives, pure nonsense. It has made prejudice, bigotry, discrimination based on faith/gender/life style choices socially unacceptable.

I'm fine with that.

scobalob

I'm fine with that.

scobalob
@)?-

I'm fine with that.

As I said,,,, Nothing to do with us. Their country,Their system Their cuture. You wont change it...... NO PC here thank God.

If it does the job,up to them mountain out of a mole hill,as far as most posts are concerned...

I'm fine with that.

As I said,,,, Nothing to do with us. Their country,Their system Their cuture. You wont change it...... NO PC here thank God.

If it does the job,up to them mountain out of a mole hill,as far as most posts are concerned...

It doesn't do the job. It can't do the job. It never will do the job.

Ignoring racism/bigotry is never the right or proper thing to do. And it is nothing to do with PC.