Does anyone use their balcony?

Andy2310

I've been in Bangkok for almost a year and walking around the city I never see anybody out on their balconies which I thought was strange.

I always enjoy sitting out on mine watching the sunset or relaxing with a beer etc.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
None of that thanks.

Just like you, I love my balcony, enjoy sitting there watching the city over a beer.

Most Thai people do not care much for balconies because.....they like to stay in air conditioned space if possible?

Also, lots of condos do not have proper balconies, they are typically small and only there so people can dry clothes, and to store the air con compressors. One of the reasons behind this is that the balcony space counts towards the m2 of the apartments 100%, as opposed to (for example) Northern Europe where typically it's something like 30% only (if the balcony is 10m2, it will only count as 3m2). So balconies will cost more for the owner here in Thailand, thus they choose not to have them.

I haven't seen too many sit out side and enjoy a beer because it's too uking hot ... and most balconies are 1mx2.5m which you can't swing a cat in although I'd like to swing a few cats off a balcony from over my place ...

Sometimes they get a mention in the bangkok post but that's about it. whistling.gif

Ours is not really a balcony so much as a crude open-but-roofed veranda, and it is on the back side of our house on the second floor, facing away from all streets. Between the intruding buildings that are too close by, its only virtue is that it faces a wonderful big tree upon which I can watch squirrels and birds frolic. I agree that it is usually too hot to be out there, but during the recent rains and the cooler associated breezes it is a paradise.

I recently rigged a hammock out there (with mosquito netting), and I delight in the stormy winds and rains that blow their cool spray over me. Blessed coolness -- Zen delight!

It's the (Chinese) thrift factor ingrained in Thais. The same reason you can't find caffeine-free diet coke here. Coke without the sugar or the kick? Are you nuts? Just buy a 5b bottle of water and learn to be happy.

Rent a 60sqm. apartment with 10 of them out in the hot sun? Must be the same guy who wants caffeine-free diet coke.

I think people avoid sitting on balconies in Bangkok as a self defense mechanism. Why would you inhale all that fresh traffic pollution? It's wonderful at Jomtien where there is a cooling sea breeze coming straight off the water.

Our balcony always was black from the pollution. If you step on it your feet will be black as well.

There are a few highrise buildings i know of who have great palmtree's and so on all balcony's. Looks awesome and i wonder why not more offices do it.

I was on the terrace from the Okura hotel and there were no plants at all and all furniture had a black color. Terrible. Roofterraces can be awesome.

In Singapore many owners grow some plant on their balcony's.

We enlarged our balcony by knocking down the wall and moving it back into the living rooms the balcony is now about 20sq.m and big enough for a modest dining table. We often eat dinner there in the evenings or have a cup of tea in the mornings. At this time if the year I love sitting out there and storm-watching. Great fun.

I had two balconies on 2 rooms, great views from my previous apartment. Only problem was they built them with windows and not sliding doors. Every now and again i would climb out and have a drink or two, but not easy. Now i live in a smaller room and its got a sliding door but terrible view and a noisy air con unit. Mostly just use it for hanging washing and doing dishes.

When i first came to bangkok i put a washing machine out there and forgot to plug it into the drain.. Good ice breaker and introduction to thai swear words from neigbours below.

Way to hot to sit on mine enjoying a beer so usefulness is to store clothes being dried and fridge freezer placed there.

It's too hot to sit and enjoy, yet you put a fridge freezer there ? Are you one of the many who complain about electricity prices in Thailand ? What a very strange place to put a fridge !

Mine is solely for washer/dryer and occasional smoke. Just too hot.

After reading of a couple multiple deaths in US by balconies detaching, I do wonder how safe Thai balconies might actually be.

In the skytrain area i know several very crappy balcony's who will come down one day on the pedestrians. If you walk from BigC to the Saphan Kwai bts station you will pass them while climbing the stairs.

I also wonder if they just wait for the things to fall down or what?

Also i don't like balcony's in hotels or so, the railing is always too low for farang and i don't dare to feel if it's solid or not.

But Bangkok also has loads of unused rooftops. Some people built a cage on it but i wonder why nobody has a nice nightgarden on their roof.

The reason i live in a house is to be among nature. In a highrise building i don't feel very comfortable.