Chinese, Russian tourists not ‘preferred’, says Phuket poll

Lite Beer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to various bar/business owners in Pattaya and they've commented on how business has been down for the last few years despite the number of people on the street. However it's been noted that where once upon a time (when businesses where doing far better) most of those people seemed to be Euro/UK/American/Australian/Canadian, now it's predominately Indian/Chinese/Middle Eastern. Lots of bodies on planes, in hotels and on the street, but not spending anywhere near the same kind of cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same survey in Pattaya and ended up with the same results. I was going to say that "quantity" doesn't always better "quality" but then again, many of those "once upon a time" tourists weren't exactly very high quality themselves.

Interestingly, it appears from that article that 86% of the "preferred" tourists are from that "once upon a time" group. Not really a surprise though as the people in the "preferred" group are generally earning much more on average than the rest, and tend to spend a lot more as well. From a purely business point of view of course you'd prefer the customers that are freer with their cash.

It just shows that the people from civilized nations will no longer put up with 3rd world mentality. Sick of being ripped off & scammed. They have voted with their non presence. I have a friend who used to come to Thailand regularly & has now said there is not a good feeling here any more. He would rather spend his money elsewhere in the world.

The results of the poll are hardly surprising, since the voters are basically western expats.

In any case, moaning about the tourist demographics will not make an iota of difference to the fact that Chinese, Indians and Arab tourists are the future of Phuket.

If you have a business here, either adapt to those demographics, or go to the wall

If you are retired here, either accept the new tourist demographics, or go elsewhere to live.

Moaning about something that you cannot change will only increase your blood pressure.

Edited by simon43

Soalbundy

Or else they just refer to it as THE CONTINENT. Like they always say the English Channel, when it isn't at all.

OK I have done a number of trips across the French Channel in my younger days------------------ Happy now?--------coffee1.gif

I think countries should be happy to get tourists these days. I think countries should be grateful if people visit and spend lots of money or not. Somewhere they must benefit, I don't think Thailand can be too choosy. So I do not think this poll was created by Thais, it serves no real purpose.

Many people used to criticize the number of Russian people, now the numbers have dropped they are licking their wounds. Thanks to the Chinese people for coming.

People need to be more culturally aware and more tolerant. All Countries and their people have a good side and not so good side.

I have to wonder about the background of the people/person who put this so called poll together.

Actually, Australia's been a part of America for the last 50 yrs so I guess 'we' scoop top place with 29%!

Yes it is a shame that a lovely country like Australia and it's people cannot stand by themselves without hiding under Americas skirt.
You need to get out more Lorraine. America may be big girl but its hard to fit Australia under her skirt.

No surprises . Manners go a long way.

wai2.gif

You mean money goes a long way . Thats why Scandinavia is on top of this poll .

I would imagien a Norwegian tourist are willing to spend at least 10 times more than an average Chinese tourist.

Unfortunately the recent tourist expenditure data from Thailand and other countries indicate that Chinese tourists have recently become bigger spenders than Westerners.

Just where/when was this "Phuket Poll" done and what were the demographics of the respondants?? Bussiness people?? Bar Owners?? Resturants?? Jet Ski Renters?? Where was it advertised, it says on-line, who, what when and where?? Polls are samples, but depending on the day, time, and who responded, are they accurate - not defending or discrediting - but would like to know more specifics, oh hell, I'll just get another beer and wait for the next poll, you know, the one that polls those who respond to polls.coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Many of the Chinese who briefly stay at my 'transit' hotels are spending/have spent their holidays at 4 and 5-star hotels in Phuket ==> Le Meridien, Banyan Tree, Anantara etc.

These are not cheap ... er ... <deleted> - they have money to spend and are spending it.

Actually, Australia's been a part of America for the last 50 yrs so I guess 'we' scoop top place with 29%!

Yes it is a shame that a lovely country like Australia and it's people cannot stand by themselves without hiding under Americas skirt.
Last time I looked, the Australian flag has a UNION FLAG on it....not STARS and STRIPES?!!

I would imagine if you asked the same poll in a Chinese forum, or Russian forum, your answers would be quite different.

Quite biased to be asking an English newspaper who they prefer to work with.

Here we go, the excuses are rolling out thick and fast. Suggest you go to downtown Jomtien and sound out the struggling businesses. It's reality, nothing to do with who is polled.

Sorry the results have everything to do with who was polled.

No surprises . Manners go a long way.

wai2.gif

You mean money goes a long way . Thats why Scandinavia is on top of this poll .

I would imagien a Norwegian tourist are willing to spend at least 10 times more than an average Chinese tourist.

Yes but they also have 10 times the manners as well.