NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

Lite Beer

So who are the responsible adults being responsible to ?and for what? By registering on time?

Any 2 bit criminal who can not figure out a way of not registering their phone in their

name does not deserve to be called a criminal....

Criminal compliance I predict will fall short by about 99.9%

Edited by fforest1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happiness to the people appears to be accepting things and not trying to change them. If you truly believed what you say which in most cases is highly debatable then there should be some urgency as to getting these phones registered in order to reduce terror and crime but no, you will give these nitwits another 31 days and let the bad boys off the hook.

You really are idiots.

NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

1-8-2558-13-03-12-wpcf_728x403.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

NBTC secretary general Thakorn Tanthasith said however that the extension of registration until August 31 would mean only those who failed to register their cards by the July 31 deadline could answer calls but could not make calls during the extended period.

As of 15:39 my spare unregistered sim gotten free from AIS for a phone purchased, is still able to both make and received calls.

Hmm...lucky?...lol.

Cheerios

I'm more confused than ever. When I had to replace my phone back in May and get a replacement SIM (as the previous phone was stolen), I decided to look on the bright side and think "well, I've been putting off registering so may as well take the opportunity now and kill two birds with one stone".

I asked for the person dealing with me to register and provided ID. Before I left the shop I asked once again that it was registered and she said yes.

Another article on TVF about this subject prompted me to go to the DTAC site to find out the *nnn# code to check, and it came back (in English!) that registration hadn't been completed. I cursed and said some not nice things about quality of service in this country. I decided to ignore the issue and would deal with it another day when it was more convenient.

Late this morning I called a friend to test it and it works fine, even though DTAC is still telling me registration is not complete. Perhaps it takes a while to update the database, though I imagine it should only be a few seconds for 17 million table entries.

I still don't know if I'm registered or not, and will do nothing now unless an issue arises.

Edited by Shiver

What a bunch of bovine feces!

People have known about this for a long time and the responsible people have done it before the deadline.

The irresponsible should be shut down as promised.

It is not difficult and there is no excuse for not complying on time.

This is the kind of thing that encourages the deadbeats to continue to be flakes.

Thailand is full of flakes, both Thai and expat.

Stand by your original requirement and teach the childish to grow up.

Everyone would benefit..

I've been living here for 3 years and i didnt know about it, i live in a village and dont sit infront of a computer screen too often, last time i logged on to TV was in January infact i didnt even know about the coupe for about a month after, my wife has been away working in Aus while im here to do what ever i want and it doesnt include keeping up with the news.

Interesting comment.

I guess it is coincidence that you are here online for the first time reading about it the day after the deadline.

It is 2015 and there are things we as responsible adults are required to know about and required to do.

There is no place so remote that you can not take care of business today with a minimal effort.

I too lived in a remote village without internet access for years,

but I did make the minimal effort to be responsible.

attachicon.gifrobert-browning-quote-ignorance-is-not-innocence-but-sin.jpg

Seems i didnt need to log on today to find out about it anyway, the beer bar owner just told me and i still have a month to it, and i really couldnt care if WW3 broke out tommorow life would be the same here,may pen rai.

People have known about this for a long time and the responsible people have done it before the deadline.

This is the kind of thing that encourages the deadbeats to continue to be flakes.

Everyone would benefit..

Sorry I had to laugh when you wrote about Thais being responsible

Have lived here now for 6 years

Thai Wife and Family follow the ways that has come down from years of example from Thai Elders and Leaders

Given up on trying to change a light globe in a socket with no electricity

No matter what I do the globe will not turn on

So I have learned

When in Rome ……..$#@$%&^%$#*&^!@#

If these 16.9 million users did not register within the six months they were allocated, what makes the NBTC think they will do so by allowing another 30 days. Some prepaid cards are used for criminal activity such as drug trafficking and insurgency, so lets give them another 30 days.This country is all talk and no action.

isn't it highly likely that a large number f these SIMs were bought by tourists who used them while on holiday and then discarded them when they left?

Another shambolic show.

Everyone would benefit..

I've been living here for 3 years and i didnt know about it, i live in a village and dont sit infront of a computer screen too often, last time i logged on to TV was in January infact i didnt even know about the coupe for about a month after, my wife has been away working in Aus while im here to do what ever i want and it doesnt include keeping up with the news.

Interesting comment.

I guess it is coincidence that you are here online for the first time reading about it the day after the deadline.

It is 2015 and there are things we as responsible adults are required to know about and required to do.

There is no place so remote that you can not take care of business today with a minimal effort.

B, comes after A then followed by C....Z. The number 2, comes after the number 1.....

Honourable, straight, upstanding, law abiding, and responsible. However, strength of character is still indefinite and questionable.

Boring and pathetic existence? No doubt!

They've not exactly backtracked. Those who didn't register by yesterday can only receive calls for another month, but they can't make any - except to 191 emergency numbers

"NBTC secretary general Thakorn Tanthasith said however that the extension of registration until August 31 would mean only those who failed to register their cards by the July 31 deadline could answer calls but could not make calls during the extended period. But he said these callers could still call 191 emergency numbers only. After the expiration of the extended period on August 31, they could neither receive or make calls, even the 191 emergency numbers, he said."

Having said that, it's not entirely the government which is to blame. The phone companies could have done ever so slightly more than <deleted> all to keep their customers informed! Land of muppets.

Who knows maybe we all got an SMS from them but it was in Thai so we deleted it,

Everyone would benefit..

C'mon, Willy. They meant July 31st Thai time.

Edited by mesquite

Everyone would benefit..

Interesting comment.

There are also folks who question authority and don't abide by laws wrtten by some generals,, despite...

As far as I know sim cards are not registered in Europe.

if you are the obediant one nobody is going to stop you from being "responsible".

555 I just stumbled across this now, I had no idea about it and i imagine many Thais living out in villages have no idea aswell,

Can someone here tell me what i need to do to register, can it be done at a 7/11? do i need to go into the city to a AIS kiosk?

Thanks, Deeks

Well well, how ironic is this,555 I just went down the road to buy a couple of bottles of LEO and beautiful Dong the shop owner told me in her broken english "sim card legista" and that i can do it down the road at the local mobile phone shop, so as usual didnt need to be up to date with the news anyway, life just goes on as usual in these lovely little villages maypenrai, so i think ill log off TV for another half year or so, and leave all the negetivity and complaining on this thread to you guys, (not everyone, just the whingers and whiners) I say to them to just accept life here as it is and you will be much happier and probably live longer too, pum rak thai.

My first and happiest time was when i did Thailand by motocy for 3 years. No phone, no internet, no TV and no newspaper.

Problems started when I bought land and built on it. Bought a tablet and started reading the news on TV.

Many times it is difficult or impossible to accept things as they are. That does not make me a whinger or a whiner.

yes, I left my investment in the hands of villagers and moved overseas.

Many years ago, I worked in Singapore where registering your sim card had to be done immediately when purchased or it will not work at all.

Reasons: To curb criminal activities and...yada yada yada.

Of course, it's near impossible.

The population of Singapore is nowhere near that of Thailand, and the government accept it as fairly successful not total.

Why? Within hours, anyone who doesn't wish to register can just buy a sim card from the thousands smaller phone shops and for an extra dollar, the shop will get it registered using one of the hundreds of thousands of foreign workers id.

These id's are recycled and used over and over.

IMHO...the same modus and service would have already taken off hours ago.

Cheerios

81% of pre-paid SIM cards registered
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A number of 69.5 million phone numbers or 81.3 per cent of all using pre-paid SIM cards were registered at the end of July, according to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission.

Of total, 34.7 million phone numbers belonged to Advanced Info Service, or 83.5 per cent of total: 21.5 million or 79.9 per cent; and 13 million or 76.8 million.

On July 31, the last day for the registration, 610,905 phone numbers were registered.

Failing to register before the deadline ended, the remaining users can only receive calls while other voice and data services are suspended.

According to the NBTC, among the 16 million unregistered numbers, only 4.8 million or 30 per cent were used regularly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/81-of-pre-paid-SIM-cards-registered-30265683.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

You guy's havin a dig about the extension well last year australia extended swimming pool certification for a year, that was the latest, but over my lifetime living in Aus extensions happened all the time, I dont see it any different here.

The difference, as I see it, seems that this is Thailand and not Australia.

The difference, as I see it, seems to be about SIM cards and not swimming pool certificates.

The difference, as I see it, is that there are as many similarities about most situations, as not. :)

Is it just me or did they not do this years ago - set a deadline and then it was all forgotten about. I'm surprised so many people did register this time, as the boy who cried wolf can concur.

Edited by Rykbanlor

You guy's havin a dig about the extension well last year australia extended swimming pool certification for a year, that was the latest, but over my lifetime living in Aus extensions happened all the time, I dont see it any different here.

The difference, as I see it, seems that this is Thailand and not Australia.

The difference, as I see it, seems to be about SIM cards and not swimming pool certificates.

The difference, as I see it, is that there are as many similarities about most situations, as not. smile.png

I wasnt clear on my point.

Extensions like this happen just about every time a goverment impliments a new law or reglulation, doesnt matter what country, it wouldnt surprise me if they if they have a target percentage of conformity they use to decide wether or not to extend and for the length of the extension, i have seen extensions of 2 years for a goverment program.

do a google search gov deadline extension there are 57,100.000 no doubt many the same but all in english.

Edited by deeks

I imagine 16 million people dont realise they HAVE to register, in which case this positive action of cutting off outgoing calls is brilliant. 16million people will be complaining to their service providers and becoming registered. Perfect. As usual the muppets crowd the blog with their own experiences and Victor Meldrew-isms....

Congratulations to the Government for producing a workable solution.

I woke up this morning only find that my iPad wi-fi did not work. Even though I have checked with Telewiz twice, and was assured by them that the SIM was registered, wi-fi would not work today. I called the AIS number 1175. The recording just tells me to punch in my 10 digit mobile phone number. I tried this once, and it asked me again to type in my 10 digit mobile phone number. After that, it just hung up on me. I realize that my iPad is not a phone per se, but it does have a SIM card with a phone number. Very confused. Guess I will have to visit AIS tomorrow.

Many are under the impression that SIM cards are automatically registered when you buy one. That's what the DTAC office is telling customers. Is this not true?

Probably true if buying a new SIM over the last X months...it's just SIMs that were bought before the registration requirement went into affect earlier in the year....millions and millions of them.

If these 16.9 million users did not register within the six months they were allocated, what makes the NBTC think they will do so by allowing another 30 days. Some prepaid cards are used for criminal activity such as drug trafficking and insurgency, so lets give them another 30 days.This country is all talk and no action.

I'm pretty sure the insurgents and drug dealers have registered their SIM or have found some kind of alternative, this is just mai pen rai at it's best. cheesy.gif