AIS Fiber any experience?

nivram4491

AIS Power 3 Package installed on Monday and here are brief notes:

• If you have an AIS mobile post paid account on any tariff, the promotion gives you the 30/10 connection, Playbox, a Chinese 4 port Gigabit wireless fibre optic modem/router, a dual band Wireless router, installation with up to 250m of fibre cable for the equivalent of 799 a month for the first year (it's a higher price tarif with 6 months free).
  • Installation was friendly and efficient.
  • The connection runs at the advertised speed to any server I could throw at it using speedtest.net. Real world will be slower, but so far it feels pretty fast although downloading a torrent (a legal one, before some Smart Alec brings it up) was disappointing so will have to look into why.
  • The modem/router seems reasonably featured for an ISP giveaway. Details and spec are online here.
  • The Dual Band Wireless Router was an unexpected bonus and I'm not sure why they include it in the deal but what the heck... It's an Edimax AC750 (Details here) and can be set up as a bridge or a range extender as well. It has four ports (albeit not Gigabit) and I have it connected by cable from where it feeds the Playbox, TV and a Minix Android box. It seems to work very well so far although the lack of fast ports somewhat defeats the point of the fast connection.
  • The other bonus is the Playbox. I wasn't really interested in the TV aspect of the deal having an Android box and a GMM HD STB already set up, but the Playbox turns out to run Android itself and has an interface that is much friendlier. I'm guessing (hoping) that you could install Kodi and get rid of some of the box clutter. As expected, the channels on offer in the TV bundle are the basic free ones as with GMMZ so not very interesting. More can be bought with an upgrade package if you're that way inclined.
  • They also say that a fixed line is included and the main router has phone plugs on the back but I don't know what the details are.

All in all, a good first impression.

My 30/10 (Power of 3 promotion) was installed yesterday. Single device a ZyXEL PMG5318-B20A http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/pmg5318_b20a.shtml?t=p

The fixed line is a lie. It is VOIP. While the marketing material does show a phone they only say that the line comes with the package. So no free phone.

As far as speed goes, the things I need to be fast are really fast. I downloaded a 45 GB game from Steam at a steady 3.6 MB/s, I believe Steam's regional server is in Singapore.

I noticed in their FAQ they mention that they support Bittorent, I thought that was an odd thing for an ISP to put in writing so I tried it with a couple of torrents. They were dead in the water.. found peers but nothing downloaded.. I haven't really looked in to it as torrents haven't interested me in years.

So far I am satisfied

The Big C Hang Dong sales person was very uninformed, and said there wuold be only 1 router (not 2), no phone line.

So we are asking somewhere else. The promo material we have received in the past clearly showed that there's the 790 baht 30/10 with TV android kit, and phone included.

I had the choice of AIS, 3BB or True.

I went to True 30/10 Fibre and got a deal with a TV box (Thai only for the family) and my mobile phone plan with 3G for 799 a month. All up, with my phone calls every month, it costs me 1000 baht and is very good value.

I get 28 down and 8-9 up. I can stream Australian TV (using a DNS hack) on my Nvidia Shield very well. I use Kodi nearly all the time watching IPTV from different locations around the world. The Shield plays my cloud games without a flaw over the net.

Torrents come down at a average of 2.1mb depending on seeds. I downloaded Ubuntu yesterday at 3.2 down from a high speed server.

True has given me a great service. I am in Santitham.

Archived