Teflon coated frying pans

krisb

These things aren't as good as they think they are.

They try to come across as some almighty holier than thou frying pan, but they're just the same as the rest.

Waste of money imo.

Maybe you don't know how to treat a teflon pan. Many people immediately rinse with cold water while they are still hot. Very wrong. Or clean with steel wool. Wrong. Used properly they are easier to clean than a cheap traditional pan, a cast iron pan is something else, best for many recipes.

However buying a cheap one is not a good idea. I still have one I bought ten years ago, expensive but still usable.

Obviously used teflon pans should be dumped.

Having used ceramic I would never touch a Teflon(black) pan again, but as with many things you get what you pay for, and it also depends how you treat/use it.

The cheap crap generally available doesnt usually last beyond a year is my experience and is false economy, hence investing in something decent, pay more, get a 10 yr guarantee too and actually save money in the long run by not throwing them out every year.

The best non-stick cookware I had back in the states was Silverstone. Believe it was ceramic or enamel coated, but easy to clean and lasted forever. Not sure if the quality is as good now as then but they weren't cheap.

I have a Silverstone teflon pan that is still going strong at close to ten years of age.

Never washed hot. Never metal utensils to stir.....and never scrubbed .....Use it for eggs.

Maybe you don't know how to treat a teflon pan. Many people immediately rinse with cold water while they are still hot. Very wrong. Or clean with steel wool. Wrong. Used properly they are easier to clean than a cheap traditional pan, a cast iron pan is something else, best for many recipes.

However buying a cheap one is not a good idea. I still have one I bought ten years ago, expensive but still usable.

Why didn't you dump yours? you said ,,used teflon pans should be dumped,,

How often should they be dumped?

once and now, never to be replaced if you are sensible. They are unsafe to cook with as the teflon coating has some very nasty chemicals that leach out into your food - even after prolonged usage!!

The best non-stick cookware I had back in the states was Silverstone. Believe it was ceramic or enamel coated, but easy to clean and lasted forever. Not sure if the quality is as good now as then but they weren't cheap.

Meyer do the silverstone ceramic. Recently they had a (upto) 70% off sale at their Laem Chabang facilty. some bargain to be had for sure.

I bought an expensive Tefal "non-stick" pan and it lost its non-stick character in just a few weeks. I would really like to buy a few heavy cast-iron pans, because after proper conditioning they will be non-stick forever and last a life-time.

But where to find them in Thailand?

I have purchased many teflon pans over the years and no matter how many times I tell the missus she always kills them within a week cleaning them with a scouring pad.

I have 2 pans left that I use for my sunday morning egg and bacon fry up..... these are kept under lock and key well away from the missus.

Edited by Don Mega

I bought an expensive Tefal "non-stick" pan and it lost its non-stick character in just a few weeks. I would really like to buy a few heavy cast-iron pans, because after proper conditioning they will be non-stick forever and last a life-time.

But where to find them in Thailand?

I've been looking for cast iron pans in BKK for 2-3 years at least, cannot find them.

I brought mine from Europe.

Emporium has some stuff, produced in France I think, but they are coated.

I much prefer thick cast iron without any coating.

Maybe an "wholesaler" that supplies big restaurants and big hotels might have some.

Time for a pop-quiz gentlemen!

If Teflon is supposed to be nonstick,

what keeps the Teflon coating stuck on the metallic pan?

The raw metal is sandblasted and the a primer is used. Teflon is then applied and is baked on.

Much like the paint on your car, without the correct surface preparation and primer the paint will not stick.

Why didn't you dump yours? you said ,,used teflon pans should be dumped,,

Learn English/ stop being a time waster: Used - to expend or consume in use:

I have purchased many teflon pans over the years and no matter how many times I tell the missus she always kills them within a week cleaning them with a scouring pad.

I have 2 pans left that I use for my sunday morning egg and bacon fry up..... these are kept under lock and key well away from the missus.

My be cheaper changing the missus instead of pans.

My be cheaper changing the missus instead of pans.
Nah, just as she is awesome at removing my pans back to bare metal she also knows how to swing a mop.

swings and roundabouts, she's a keeper.