Breathalyzer today

i claudius

Is there any basis to the rumor going around that if you fail the test you go straight to jail for 30 days ?

I met a guy last week who says that happened to his friend. 30 days, then off to the airport and kicked out. I'm trying to get more info and when I do, I'll try to relate it back on this thread. I hope to be meeting with the guy again on Friday.

I've heard many reports of people being stuck in the slammer for the entire weekend. Bribes were not accepted. You just never know.

My friend was at a checkpoint recently and the cop showed him how the device worked. It blew positive! He knew he was stuffed....

Is there any basis to the rumor going around that if you fail the test you go straight to jail for 30 days ?

I met a guy last week who says that happened to his friend. 30 days, then off to the airport and kicked out. I'm trying to get more info and when I do, I'll try to relate it back on this thread. I hope to be meeting with the guy again on Friday.

I've heard many reports of people being stuck in the slammer for the entire weekend. Bribes were not accepted. You just never know.

My friend was at a checkpoint recently and the cop showed him how the device worked. It blew positive! He knew he was stuffed....

If that is the case,a new name (deed poll) new passport . supposed to be cheaper than changing a name on an air ticket Yes did happen booked air tix only realised he made mistake one letter, airline stated new tix required....he changed his name and new passport and that was for a flight UK to Spain

If they're going by the book, I think you have to pay 20,000 bail (not a bribe) to be released and appear in court the next day. If you can't / won't pay, you're locked up until the court appearance. So, if it's Friday night you'll be there until Monday morning.

If they're going by the book, I think you have to pay 20,000 bail (not a bribe) to be released and appear in court the next day. If you can't / won't pay, you're locked up until the court appearance. So, if it's Friday night you'll be there until Monday morning.

I do believe you are right! I remember a thread from several years ago about this. Did a search, but can't find it. A guy was arrested on Friday and spent the weekend in jail. Not sure why he couldn't get out. The post was quite detailed about his arrest and time in jail. Scary.

I do believe you are right! I remember a thread from several years ago about this. Did a search, but can't find it. A guy was arrested on Friday and spent the weekend in jail. Not sure why he couldn't get out. The post was quite detailed about his arrest and time in jail. Scary.

That is why most of the testing is done Friday and Saturday

I have never been breathalyzed, but I sure have done some serious breasthalyzing in my time.....

On a more serious note, not exactly connected to this subject but maybe remotely relevant, I got caught in a speed camera going on the motorway from Bkk to Pattaya, they got an excellent picture of my car, a close up of the license plate and my exact address and exact name, the fine of 500 B arrived in the post yesterday.

Impressive that it actually works, I always thought those speed cameras on the motorway was broken or just dummy cameras.

I guess the days are over with the brownies standing on a bridge with a stop watch, binoculars and a walkie talkie....about 10 - 20 km down the road you would be stopped at a checkpoint and an officer will come up to you with your license number scribbled on a list.....ohh the nostalgia....

If that is the case,a new name (deed poll) new passport . supposed to be cheaper than changing a name on an air ticket Yes did happen booked air tix only realised he made mistake one letter, airline stated new tix required....he changed his name and new passport and that was for a flight UK to Spain

the pic they take of your face on arrival, would be surpised if it is not processed through some sort of face recognition software.

I have never been breathalyzed, but I sure have done some serious breasthalyzing in my time.....

On a more serious note, not exactly connected to this subject but maybe remotely relevant, I got caught in a speed camera going on the motorway from Bkk to Pattaya, they got an excellent picture of my car, a close up of the license plate and my exact address and exact name, the fine of 500 B arrived in the post yesterday.

Impressive that it actually works, I always thought those speed cameras on the motorway was broken or just dummy cameras.

I guess the days are over with the brownies standing on a bridge with a stop watch, binoculars and a walkie talkie....about 10 - 20 km down the road you would be stopped at a checkpoint and an officer will come up to you with your license number scribbled on a list.....ohh the nostalgia....

Thread here in case you have not seen it - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845247-speeding-tickets-pattaya-to-bkk-and-back/

Here's an interesting way to beat the breathalyzer, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers.

I do have a little sympathy for the drunk driver that gets blamed for an accident

that was caused by a dangerous driver,

Dangerous driver gets away with it, drunk driver is punished for the accident and for drink driving, that's not right.

We should not drink and drive.

But we have all done it at some point in life and some place on the planet.

no porky pies anyone. wai2.gif

Here's an interesting way to beat the breathalyzer, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! I don't have any sympathy for drunk drivers.

Good point. But many times, when "arrested", you just pay a small (or large) fine and are allowed to continue on your way. Strict enforcement is critical. Something that's lacking here.

Plus, who knows if these machines even work properly. Interesting article here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606619-bangkok-police-riding-around-with-broken-breathalyzers/

Scary stuff craigt.

'Niphon explained, in conversation with the Bangkok Post, that breathalyzers need periodic maintenance in order to prevent their electrochemical cells from deteriorating, which causes the higher readings.'

The topic you linked is from 2012. I don't really expect something has changed in the meanwhile. In doubt i would prefer to do a blood-test. With a virgin syringe of course. Beside of alcohol there are some other substances like Fisherman's Friends, Listerine and so on which can cause a positive result on this test-devices.

I passed there the same night but I was driving a car so they never bothered to stop me , only bikes were waved over. I had one beer earlier so happy about that. Drive a car and your almost invisible to the cops.

Oddly enough, riding a big bike in most of the rest of Thailand makes you nearly invisible to police.

Archived