Phuket Opinion: Brace yourself, Chinese tourists are getting FIT

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Brace yourself, Chinese tourists are getting FIT
The Phuket News

1438351157_1-org.jpg

Brace yourself, Chinese tourists are becoming free, independent travellers (FITs). Photo: TTR Weekly

PHUKET: The results of the recent Phuket News online poll are interesting, to say the least. As the poll was cast in English, it obviously received responses from English-literate persons only. But the results also give critical feedback on the current state of play of Phuket’s English-speaking community with the burgeoning Chinese and Russian tourist markets.

Of note, the respondents to the poll credited Chinese with only 2 per cent of the votes as their “most preferred tourist”. Russians scored just 3%. (See story here.)

But of all irony, many of the first Westerners to set up shop in Phuket had their shop signs and shop names in English, mainly because it represented who the shopowners were and, wittingly or unwittingly, who they were appealing to as their customers.

Why would the logic change when appealing to the Chinese or Russian markets? Many Thai business folk are recognizing this fact. They don’t need to speak English when appealing to Chinese and Russian tourists.

But what many people may not realise is that the Chinese market is changing. They are breaking away from the traditional destinations, including Phuket, and heading for Phang Nga, Krabi and elsewhere nearby. They are also breaking away from the standard package tours with options.

They are becoming the free, independent travellers (FITs) that the plethora of small business owners in Phuket cater to – except they likely speak very little English.

A TAT marketing database report filed by the TAT Guangzhou Office pointed out as early as 2013 that Chinese travellers were now interested in golf tours, diving, coming here for their honeymoons and even muay thai training camps. Even medical tourism was on the rise.

Young generation Chinese and white collar groups were enjoying “soft adventure” tours, such as ziplines, rifle shooting, ATVs, snorkelling and trekking, and hitting the shopping malls and restaurants. Higher-end Chinese tourists and executives were heading for the beauty, health and wellness services.

Yet the same report highlighted how Thailand was still not fully prepared for this shift, including the inability to communicate effectively in Chinese. Further, and looking to the future, the report highlighted how there was no deep penetration to retail ends, no new social media usage to target this burgeoning market, and no second and third-tier cities sales.

Perhaps the wise local business owner would be best prepared for this change, and address the critical issues listed above, because like it or not, the FIT Chinese are coming.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-brace-yourself-chinese-tourists-are-getting-fit-53444.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-02

The Chinese are studying English a lot more seriously than Thais are. Certain proficiencies are required of Chinese students. English will be the way different people communicate regardless of native language. It's possible that a lot of Chinese tourists know at least some English.

Is this author another who believes that English is only for the English, or does he realize that it is the universal language of international trade, of the internet, of most technical writings? Does he know that a US company called IBM put together a new dictionary of 18,000 new English words related to computing? Does he know that this is just one aspect of modern technology?

Sometimes it would be easy to just give up on Thais, but it should never be done...

Cheers.

post-164212-0-36619100-1438481266_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

About the Chinese ability to speak English. When I first went to China in 1998 I did not speak Mandarin. But what I learned very quickly was that if I needed help I could just find a kid,under about 15 and their English was usually pretty good. I moved to China in 2000. Since then the proficiency of the Chinese continued to increase. It is a requirement that all Chinese students must study English and they have to pass an English proficiency exam. Now not all are great at English,but a large number of them are able to communicate in English. Those kids from then are the young adults today who have the disposable income and are traveling. Additionally many of the seniors that travel do understand and speak English. Their government took a serious view on the necessity of English as their country opened up. If Thailand just had competent English teachers and students who applied themselves that would be a major step. Having Thais learn to speak Mandarin is not as beneficial as the use of English as all Asean countries will be using English.

"But of all irony, many of the first Westerners to set up shop in Phuket had their shop signs and shop names in English, mainly because it represented who the shopowners were and, wittingly or unwittingly, who they were appealing to as their customers."

clueless... and sad.

I guess international air traffic control is in Thai? Chinese?

The English language abilities of Chinese tourists varies hugely. The 'bahnnork' Chinese that stay at my hotel typically do not speak a single word of English, and resort to using apps on their iPhones that translate spoken Chinese into written English (and do it quite well).

If businesses in Phuket want to provide a good service to Chinese tourists, they should be proactive and learn some conversational Chinese.

Do they really think a bahnnork Chinese tourist is going to understand 'Tinglish'? At least, the Thais should try to speak some 'Tinese'

I have learnt to speak some Mandarin, (an easy language for me to learn, since it is a tonal language and I can speak Thai already). But my brain seems to be getting old, because I keep forgetting what I have learnt.

English, as we know it today is comprised of six or seven different European languages and it could be said it is inherently an international language.

English as a language is not a nationality, or a culture but simply a common means of communication in multilingual societies or trading groups. It has also become the international language of medical, technical and trade publications.

English is the official language of ASEAN and Thailand is a founding member. It's time for Thailand to get up to speed with their education and forget about all the "never been colonized" excuses.

I see from the OP that the Chinese are becoming interested in golf tours.

This is what many expect and I dread the future if the manners of the some Chinese are transported to the golf courses.

Of course, the golf course owners would love the business. After all, they are not bothered about shouting and screaming players and 5 hour plus rounds.

"They are breaking away from the traditional destinations, including Phuket, and heading for Phang Nga, Krabi and elsewhere nearby."

I would like to say i have never read such a poorly written confused article in my life, but I have been here for 8 years