To Oil Or Not To Oil ? That Is My Question.

pop3

Unfortunatly I like many other pickup owners are stuck with medevil leaf springs ( cart springs ) They might have been ok for Ben herr's chariot but I can't believe in this day and age we're forsed to still be useing the bledy things, anyway my point is, looking at mine they are dry and rusty, in europe I would oil them but here with the dust everywhere Im not sure it's a good idear, do I leave them dry but clean or oily and coverd in dust ? what would you do ?

Unfortunatly I like many other pickup owners are stuck with medevil leaf springs ( cart springs ) They might have been ok for Ben herr's chariot but I can't believe in this day and age we're forsed to still be useing the bledy things, anyway my point is, looking at mine they are dry and rusty, in europe I would oil them but here with the dust everywhere Im not sure it's a good idear, do I leave them dry but clean or oily and coverd in dust ? what would you do ?

If you feel its a problem oil grease and wrap them, but be aware that springs are designed to operate under the conditions you state, you could end up jumping everywhere :o:D

They shouldn't be rusty; I mean they coat them in something to stop them rusting. Is your pickup really old or do take your pickup through alot of deep water? You can get new ones fitted (coated), but then thats not going to be cheap. So probably just let them rust? I mean not as if they are going to rust away quickly?

If you feel its a problem oil grease and wrap them, but be aware that springs are designed to operate under the conditions you state, you could end up jumping everywhere :o:D

If one wanted to be even more anal about it, they could affix sacrificial zinc anodes to the springs. Me, I'd just let'em rust.

shame the previous owner haddent done a coil spring conversion on it !

A good job actually, with coil springs it would be illegal!

Thai law requires that pickup trucks have leaf spring rear suspension, heaven only knows why :o

Edited by Crossy

Dependent on weather conditions, just spray them once a week with WD40. That will keep the rust in check and give sufficient lubrication without atracting excessive dirt. SONAX aerosol lube is even better since it contains MS2 (molyebdenum disulphide) which leaves a dry coat of lubricant once the carrier evaporates. Both available on supermarket shelves.

Haddent heard it was ileagle to have a coil spring on the rear, what's the world comming to ? Their be telling us to bin our electric toasters next and toast our bread over an open fire,

Wonder how they got over the problem of the Toyota surf pickup coil spring ? how did they sneak in ?

Wonder how they got over the problem of the Toyota surf pickup coil spring ? how did they sneak in ?

Isn't the Surf a station wagon type vehicle (not a pickup)?

AFAIK it's actually only 2 door pickups that must have crappy leaf springs on the back, something to do with the reduced tax payable and green plates.

Yes your right most of the surf's are station wagon type trucks but there is a few in Pattaya that are simply pickup's, I wonder if the've had the station wagon back cut off and a normal pickup bed put back on the chassis ? will we ever know ? do we care ? I dont think we will loose any sleep over that one, but it is interesting to hear about being stuck with leaf spring's because of tax and number plates !