Windows 10 Product Key Problem

kbirkins

So, I'm stuck and hope someone has a solution.

I have a lenovo Y50-70 laptop X64 running windows 8.1. I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 a few days ago without success- in fact using the media creation tool was a complete fail. I decided to try again by downloading and updating with the ISO (via usb).

This morning I started the set-up tool on the usb and seemed to be making progress until set-up asked for me to input my product key. I typed in the key (from my CD case). The key was not accepted and I was invited to type in an alternate key. Tried two more times- fail. <deleted>..

On Control Panel, my cuurent copy of W8.1 shows activated. Checked the product key with a small utility program and it checks out ( same as the key on my CD case).

Other than stay with W8.1, any ideas for moving forward??

I think the answer is here..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845105-windows-10-on-laptop/page-2

...in post no. 39 by Manzies.

If you let Microsoft do the upgrade as a download, everything from your previous OS stays in place and you are not asked for a product key.

If you download to media and try to upgrade yourself, you are asked for a product key and may run into problems.

Windows 10 doesn't recognise product keys from previous versions. The free upgrade only requires that the installation that you are upgrading is activated.

If upgrading via the "Get Windows 10" update method you won't be asked for a product key whereas upgrading with install media (ISO, USB) you will be.

When asked for the product key just select "Skip" and if asked again later select "I'll do this later" (or something like that).

The first time you install, it must be done as an upgrade to an activated version of Win 7/8/8.1. During that process the unique Hardware ID of your machine is registered by Microsoft so that from then on you are free to do clean installs, also without entering any product key.

If upgrading via the "Get Windows 10" update method you won't be asked for a product key whereas upgrading with install media (ISO, USB) you will be.

I downloaded the ISO file and installed it by un-compressing it on my hard disc and running set up by clicking on it from Win7 explorer. This way Windows never asked for a key, and used my existing Win7 activated info. I did this from a second hard drive installed in my system but I assume it would work from same HD Win7 is installed on? I haven't tried - can anyone confirm as I want to try it next on another PC with only one drive?

I am not sure of need to create bootbable USB drives from the ISO?

I downloaded the ISO file and installed it by un-compressing it on my hard disc and running set up by clicking on it from Win7 explorer. This way Windows never asked for a key, and used my existing Win7 activated info. I did this from a second hard drive installed in my system but I assume it would work from same HD Win7 is installed on? I haven't tried - can anyone confirm as I want to try it next on another PC with only one drive?

I am not sure of need to create bootbable USB drives from the ISO?

You will only require a bootable USB if doing a clean install.

If you are doing an upgrade, yes the install media can be on the same drive that you are installing/upgrading to.

I installed mine via the iso and using their tools. Did not ask for a key, either.

OK thanks, I hadn't realised that.

I guess that it depends on the ISO used for the upgrade. If using the Media Creation tool then the ISO created for you is specific to the version you are iupgrading i.e. Home or Professional.

I always use an ISO that contains both Home and Professional (just because it's easier for me) and have been asked for a product key.

Well, I guess the fourth time is the charm.

My initial try at updating was a fail. The first couple of attempts I could not compllete the download. On the third attempt (using the media creation too)l and selecting update this PC, the set-up seemed to work until the verification screen. It got to 100 % and my laptop froze. Ctrl-Alt-Del had no effect and I was forced to do a hard restart. This resulted in the blue screen and I had to restore from a saved image. This was why I tried the alternate method of downloading to a usb drive.

So, If you download the ISO and choose update other computer later. The tool will ask for your product key (presumably your current W7 or W8.1 key). My key was not accepted by the setup tool. Another fail.

I decided to try the media creation tool again. This time I used my VPN during the download- and success! Not sure if its coincidental or not but using the VPN seemed to make a difference.

Why would you risk running Win 10 now? RTM is in October.

Here you can read about some problems to consider:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/

(don`t forget t read page 2! wink.png )

Read the links in there too... Many people have ruined their PC.

Forced nVidia driver being one example that have made PC`s useless.

Must read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Cheers smile.png

Download the ISO to a USB flash drive and then start the upgrade from within your present version of windows. Once you've upgraded win 7 or 8, you can then do a fresh install from the ISO if you like. I've done four computers now and have had good results on each one. If you're upgrading a licensed version of windows (except for OEM versions,) you won't be asked for a key and windows will automatically be validated. BTW, there are keys available on the Microsoft site for those who need them. Google and you'll find them. Good luck. I now have four beautifully running machines and really like the new OS.

incidentally, if you're upgrading a pirated version, you WILL need a key and will have tp pay for a license after one year,

I have a genuine Windows 8 version. Shit. Tech loaded Windows 7 Pro - excellent. Authentic?

When Windows 10 is installed, they do ask for activation key? This applies to all methods of installation?

Any preferred route for installation (or all the same)?

If I install from W 10 from Windows 7, I would prefer to insert my activation key from my guaranteed W 8 version.

Problems with that strategy?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/

Must read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Cheers smile.png

For an article that doesn't mention the shared wi-fi functions as a threat, not sure i would blindly believe it.

As for many people having ruined their PC's, the only thing the article mentions (although there are more) is faulty graphic drivers, released by the manufacturer.

While i would agree that it is likely best to wait until the bug nest is sorted, is it really worth scare-mongering?

Download the ISO to a USB flash drive and then start the upgrade from within your present version of windows. Once you've upgraded win 7 or 8, you can then do a fresh install from the ISO if you like. I've done four computers now and have had good results on each one. If you're upgrading a licensed version of windows (except for OEM versions,) you won't be asked for a key and windows will automatically be validated. BTW, there are keys available on the Microsoft site for those who need them. Google and you'll find them. Good luck. I now have four beautifully running machines and really like the new OS.

incidentally, if you're upgrading a pirated version, you WILL need a key and will have tp pay for a license after one year,

Not strictly true. In the interests of research, yesterday evening i was playing and upgraded to W10 one desktop (running W8.1, 32 bit) and an old laptop (running W8.1, 64 bit). Both these sets came (from a local shop) with a generic image installed, ie, pirated software.

Both computers are showing activated, no keys requested. The desktop was upgraded with the creation tool and direct upgrade and the laptop from an expanded ISO on it's D drive. i intend leaving them like that for 30 days to see if they lock me out. Then i will revert them using the images i made before playing.

Not sure where you got the idea that a system upgrade will last for a year before you have to pay for a licence? Seems a strange policy from any software distributor to allow someone to use their system for that length of time, especially with the option of reverting to a previous installation by image.

I have a genuine Windows 8 version. Shit. Tech loaded Windows 7 Pro - excellent. Authentic?

When Windows 10 is installed, they do ask for activation key? This applies to all methods of installation?

Any preferred route for installation (or all the same)?

If I install from W 10 from Windows 7, I would prefer to insert my activation key from my guaranteed W 8 version.

Problems with that strategy?

The problem with that strategy is that it can't be done.

thedemon

Now, some good news please.

I have Windows 7 installed. Rather than uninstall W 7, install W 8 & then upgrade, why not just install W 8 straight over W 7 ie no uninstall.

If so, problem solved?

thedemon

Now, some good news please.

I have Windows 7 installed. Rather than uninstall W 7, install W 8 & then upgrade, why not just install W 8 straight over W 7 ie no uninstall.

If so, problem solved?

Assuming you have a functioning Windows 7 machine with a reasonable internet connection, the only other thing you need is a 4GB (or larger) USB drive.

You can easily revert your notebook to it's original genuine Windows 8.1 state by following the instructions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You won't need any Product Key because the installer will pick up your 8.1 key by itself from the BIOS.

As soon as that is done you can upgrade to Win 10. You won't need a product key for that either. Win 10 will activate automatically.

Must read:

Cheers smile.png

Agreed, why people rush to upgrade is a mystery to me. Every new operating system comes with many flaws, it's surely best to wait for these to be ironed out. My two laptops running windows 7 will not be upgraded until at least sp1, if ever.

Must read:

Cheers smile.png

For an article that doesn't mention the shared wi-fi functions as a threat, not sure i would blindly believe it.

As for many people having ruined their PC's, the only thing the article mentions (although there are more) is faulty graphic drivers, released by the manufacturer.

While i would agree that it is likely best to wait until the bug nest is sorted, is it really worth scare-mongering?

"is it really worth scare-mongering?"

Yes, it worked for me. I was going to upgrade as soon as available until I read some of the "scaremongering", now after seeing all the flaws why risk it?. Fortunately I'm running 7 on both my laptops so there's nothing on 10 I can't do without.

I have to upgrade sometime. XP & & 7 Pro have been faithful servants. Why change?

My mind says that I might be missing out on something. If I upgrade & don't like it, I can always return to W 7.

I keep thinking "10" - Bo Derek - perfect 10. MS media machine has been working overtime.