Flyers to face B35 fee for airport background check

webfact

Why is it Pathetic ??

Pathetic

Because it's just another opportunity to grab some money from tourists. Why charge people leaving the country? If B35 enables them to truly check everyone, I'm a Dutchman! The idea of reducing the number of low life, criminal scum is noble and would be great for Thailand, but that will not happen; it's a money grab and nothing more.

Yes. I am horrified. Beer may go up in price soon as well. Refuse to travel through a Thai airport ever again.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it Pathetic ??

Pathetic

Because it's just another opportunity to grab some money from tourists. Why charge people leaving the country? If B35 enables them to truly check everyone, I'm a Dutchman! The idea of reducing the number of low life, criminal scum is noble and would be great for Thailand, but that will not happen; it's a money grab and nothing more.

"Why charge people leaving the country? "

cheesy.gif

You obviously weren't here when you had to pay 500 baht in cash as a leaving the country tax at the airport before you could get on your plane.

About 10 years ago they incorporated it into all international ticket prices.

About 3 years ago it was increased, to I believe, 1000b, but could be wrong on the amount.

So every international ticket sold for leaving The Kingdom, has a 500-1000b tax built into it.

A leaving Thailand tax.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

After receiving their APPS, visitors can proceed to the next counter to receive their TITS (traveller identification/tracking system bracelets) from TAT, Minister Kobkarn said.

So its a sort of tits from tat situation coming up?

Got it........................thumbsup.gif

Why is it Pathetic ??

Pathetic

cheesy.gif

You obviously weren't here when you had to pay 500 baht in cash as a leaving the country tax at the airport before you could get on your plane.

About 3 years ago it was increased, to I believe, 1000b, but could be wrong on the amount.

So every international ticket sold for leaving The Kingdom, has a 500-1000b tax built into it.

coffee1.gif

Exactly. TV posters are up in arms about 35 baht extra. Life has ended. Get a life and look at how much your own countries charge for the "privalige " of using the airport.

Why is it Pathetic ??

Pathetic

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

I was travelling to / from Thailand back then and have the same understanding as yu re it being incorporated into the ticket price. That's what makes thus new charge even more pathetic - it's just another add-on. Anyway, I already refuse to travel to Thailand anymore, as there are so many thing I dislike about the place and, ultimately, it's too lawless, unsafe (road transport mainly) and corrupt for me.

Why is it Pathetic ??
Pathetic

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

I was travelling to / from Thailand back then and have the same understanding as yu re it being incorporated into the ticket price. That's what makes thus new charge even more pathetic - it's just another add-on. Anyway, I already refuse to travel to Thailand anymore, as there are so many thing I dislike about the place and, ultimately, it's too lawless, unsafe (road transport mainly) and corrupt for me.

So you need to stop flying and happily sit at home.

I can see this thought bubble by AoT as being one of the greatest disasters at Thai airports of all time. The mind boggles at the disruption to passenger arrivals and departures at check-in, not to mention at boarding lounges and the logistics of aircraft arrival and departure times and baggage handling. This is nothing more than a money grabbing scam. The "system" will never be able to identify unwelcome guests. And even if it does what happens then? Are arrivals sent home and who pays? And what happens when there is a mix up in names and the baddies are admitted and the goodies get expelled. So what about previously welcomed guest who are now are discovered to be unwelcome because of security checks. Are they prevented from leaving and who pays the hotel bills until that is sorted out? Oh so typical of Thai lack of organisational skills. Again, airlines are made to do the job of immigration.

Good to see Thailand is upgrading its airport security to match that in other countries. But Thailand Cannot afford to pay for it. You see, Thailand is that much a poor, penniless Third-World country still. They need our 35 bahts. Perhaps they will be minting a brand new 35 baht coin soon.

Why is it Pathetic ??
Pathetic

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

Well, no, because, much though it may come as a surprise to some on here, there are more than 190 other countries to travel to, other than Thailand!

Edited by BwindiBoy

I remember the 500 baht charge. Bad enough, the tourist thought, that I have to leave this country when my visa expires after so many happy days in the country. But it was adding insult to injury to have to actually pay to get out of the country. I told the immigration officer in the Philippines exactly that when I last left their land. But he was unmoved.

I've just paid £45 for a background check from the UK for a job, and it took 2 weeks. How are these clowns getting it done for 35 baht and in 2 minutes?

What a load of <deleted>.

Get a grip you lunatics.

Disclosure Scotland is a lot less than £45 and takes about 7 days.

Why is it Pathetic ??
Pathetic

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

Well, no, because, much though it may come as a surprise to some on here, there are more than 190 other countries to travel to, other than Thailand!

Yes, but obviously avoid Thailand. I will miss your 35 baht.

Good to see Thailand is upgrading its airport security to match that in other countries. But Thailand Cannot afford to pay for it. You see, Thailand is that much a poor, penniless Third-World country still. They need our 35 bahts. Perhaps they will be minting a brand new 35 baht coin soon.

Or perhaps we'll be sellotaping the together a pile of 7 five-baht coins. ... ??

A short time ago I flew to BKK. During the evening that I arrived my family received no less than ten separate phone calls from a

Pattaya taxi driver with strong police connections,whom I have used previously for airport transport.

He was persistent and wanted answers as to why I had not contacted his service.

It would now seem fairly obvious that if the Police and possibly other agencies are wasting resources in this manner that the tab

will need to be picked up again by the pesky furang.

The taxi driver has now totally lost his privilege to provide me with his service and the present Thailand deserves to be driven into the dirt by declining tourist numbers, Karma is a bitch.

Consider this...you arrive in Thailand, pay the 35 baht and get instant clearance. Now do the math....about 25 million tourist arrived in 2014. Do you smell it?

Do you really believe that Thailand could handle 65 million security checks a year.

I did the math it's about 70,000 / day - lots of luck Thailand.

A short time ago I flew to BKK. During the evening that I arrived my family received no less than ten separate phone calls from a

Pattaya taxi driver with strong police connections,whom I have used previously for airport transport.

He was persistent and wanted answers as to why I had not contacted his service.

It would now seem fairly obvious that if the Police and possibly other agencies are wasting resources in this manner that the tab

will need to be picked up again by the pesky furang.

The taxi driver has now totally lost his privilege to provide me with his service and the present Thailand deserves to be driven into the dirt by declining tourist numbers, Karma is a bitch.

And?

Well here's one farang that is glad about the 35baht charge. Imagine if it were introduced in UK or US where feral capitalism is on the loose, they would charge 50 quid or more. Thank you for corrupt crony capitalism.

Think someone resurrected Karl Marx.

Why is it Pathetic ??
Pathetic

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

Yes, but obviously avoid Thailand. I will miss your 35 baht.

Please re read the bit where I TELL YOU that I won't travel to Thailand! p.s. I can send you a cheque, as you are obviously lacking something.

Well here's one farang that is glad about the 35baht charge. Imagine if it were introduced in UK or US where feral capitalism is on the loose, they would charge 50 quid or more. Thank you for corrupt crony capitalism.

Think someone resurrected Karl Marx.

At least they said they were doing it. No idea what most airports charge money for, all in the ticket price.

Wont happen on the way in unless on pre paid tickets, no one is going to have 35bht in change and the atms dont give change anyway.

People are not going to stand around trying to find 35bht, its a non starter.

Add to that there is NO background check being done and if they were its an impossibility in 2 mins and data just isnt shared across borders in that detail.

Its just a scam for the usual tea money, no more no less.

Ill give it 2 weeks and it'll be binned until they either add it into the leaving tax or just absorb the cost it as they should.

Edited by englishoak

I've just realised where this idea came from. They saw the collecting boxes at some departure gates where you can leave your coins for charity because you cannot change them into currency in your home country. They thought, better in my pocket than in 11 houses, loads of dosh stashed in cellars, works of art and antiquities (some of which are not) and miscellaneous other valuable items. Or actually helping people. By the way, whatever became of Yingluck's uncle or whoever he was?

Wont happen on the way in unless on pre paid tickets, no one is going to have 35bht in change and the atms dont give change anyway.

People are not going to stand around trying to find 35bht, its a non starter.

Add to that there is NO background check being done and if they were its an impossibility in 2 mins and data just isnt shared across borders in that detail.

Its just a scam for the usual tea money, no more no less.

Ill give it 2 weeks and it'll be binned until they either add it into the leaving tax or just absorb the cost it as they should.

At the moment 35 baht is 1 US dollar. Surely every international traveller carries US dollars.

I can't see how a country such as the UK would want to share information with Thailand, especially with the debacle over the Koh Tao investigations being blocked and not transparent.

They British would not have appreciated they way they were treated or called it inter agency cooperation.

You also have a military installed here that overthrew a democratic government, that would raise issues as well about information sharing and finally Thailand's human rights issues and well documented corruption.

Doesn't it also throw up loads of human rights issue regards sharing peoples past lives and things such as spent convictions in Europe and how fanatical the EU is on human rights????

I can't see it working to be honest. Christ, the queues can get bad enough at airports now. Look at the recent nonsense caused by security increased checks at Don Muang!!!

Also, people could fly into a neighboring country and cross at a land post, seems weird to me. or simply, go through an airport at Krabi, yes or no?

I don't suppose it matters. If they don't get the information they just get the money. It's not much but it all adds up.

I doubt they will be doing any checks and even if they did get information they wont understand as it will not be in thai, its only the 35bht they want...nothing more.

I think it's about making money 70 bart each 35 bart in 35 bart out times visitors per year mega millions

Tim sims, without trying to be pedantic, the Thai currency is the BAHT. not the BART or even the BATH. Are you qualified to pass judgement ? Personally if one is clean, then I accept this as a part of security measures relating to air travel.perhaps if one has skeletons in the cupboard, I can see the need to panic.

If this stops another MH 370 then why shouldn't we embrace it ?