Refugee From The Coup

billp

If you want to have a bit of a giggle, check out this thread on the FlyerTalk Forum. It's a breathless trip report by a guy who was staying at the Sheraton Grande when the coup went down. He cut his trip short and checked out of the hotel in the morning, took a limo to the airport and boarded a plane first class. He reports on it as if he got the last seat in the last chopper leaving Saigon.

If you want to have a bit of a giggle, check out this thread on the FlyerTalk Forum. It's a breathless trip report by a guy who was staying at the Sheraton Grande when the coup went down. He cut his trip short and checked out of the hotel in the morning, took a limo to the airport and boarded a plane first class. He reports on it as if he got the last seat in the last chopper leaving Saigon.

American...say no more.

American...say no more.

Actually the first guy out was Australian. :o Here: http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/515457/

Cent

And for those interested, the entree choices on CX 700 this morning was a choice of an Asparagus Omelette with veal sausage, rissole potatos and roast tomato, OR a stir fried turnip cake with shrimp and chili paste.

:D

what a complete dork... at least he had a nice breakfast in 1st class after his arduously stressful ordeal...

:o

too bad he can't be the ones they are targeting for the visa crackdowns

I don't know what I would have done, from the vantage point of my desk and watching all the major news I would have just sat tight or had my picture taken with one of the soliders, but on the streets with no news it could have seemed pretty insane seeing a bunch of tanks rolling in, even though it seems those tanks have been mostly for show. The person who ran from the tsunami turned out to be smart, the person who ran from this didn't. I guess it's luck of the draw.

American...say no more.

Actually the first guy out was Australian. :D Here: http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/515457/

Cent

trust the aussies as they dont mess around. :D

a good aussie can spot danger coming at 300 miles. :D

coo wee cobber. :o

American...say no more.

BITE ME...from an American...where was your country around 1944?

Edited by gbt71fa

American...say no more.

:o

And for those interested, the entree choices on CX 700 this morning was a choice of an Asparagus Omelette with veal sausage, rissole potatos and roast tomato, OR a stir fried turnip cake with shrimp and chili paste.

OH THE HORROR!! THE HORROR!!

The writer is from Beaverton, Oregon . . . :o4cm3ifo.gif

and I like the following post:

The Portland FT community will be happy buy you a few beers after your return.
. . . after fleeing the bloodthirsty savages baying for death and destruction . . .

The best thing about the whole thread is the title:

Trying to leave BKK during a coup

The folks here making fun of this guy sound like the types who are too embarassed to evacuate a building during a fire alarm. Had this coup turned ugly (and there's a small chance it still could) I suspect you'd be singing a different tune -- assuming you were able to sing.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-0...ices-usat_x.htm

:o:D

The folks here making fun of this guy sound like the types who are too embarassed to evacuate a building during a fire alarm. Had this coup turned ugly (and there's a small chance it still could) I suspect you'd be singing a different tune -- assuming you were able to sing.

:o:D

It probably didnt help that he switched on CNN, the headline on the CNN website as the news broke was "Thailand in Chaos After Military Coup"

I can understand the panic as he is American but you would have thought that instead of posting about the coup meltdown, he would have looked to see how other news agencies were reporting the story

I remember a fire in Had Yai in our hotel years ago. Some drunken Swedes had come back, lit a cigarette or two and fallen asleep on their mattresses, setting fire to them. The Thais tried to wake them, banging on the door to no avail, the door was bolted from the inside.

Smoke started seeping out from under the door. The American tourists immediately checked out, hurriedly grabbing their belongings.

The rest of us tried to persuade them to stay, we hadn't seen any flames yet, but they weren't having it.

2 minutes later the Thai desk clerk climbed in through the Swedes' window, stepping on the balcony outside. He saved their lives as they were suffering from smoke inhalation but a few buckets of water ended the fire.

It pays to be cautious but it can be expensive to panic.

American...say no more.

Where was yours' around 1940?

....sound like the types who are too embarassed to evacuate a building during a fire alarm.....

I know someone who got caught big time cheating on her husband because of that.

She went off for some lunch-time nookie and the kitchen in the Hotel caught on fire. She was caught on TV with her "Nooner" and her husband saw it after she got home and they were watching the evening news :o

American...say no more.

Where was yours' around 1940?

In 1940 they had decisions to make

1) Do we care?

2) If we do, who do we care about?

3) Who can we make the money from?

4) Who's going to win - as long as they leave us alone they can have Europe

The Japanese spoilt the apathy party!

American...say no more.

Atleast you have found a way to enhance America's international image.