What to expect after car accident

NewInPatts

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Thailand. Not the West. Things do work differently. The Insurance should take care of the vehicle damage, yours and hers. If she has no broken bones, just a few scratches etc, i would visit her, be polite, and put 5k in her hand, and apolgise. It's called Kharma, good will, whatever, you've done your bit, and shown compassion (the 5k), and everybody should be happy. This is how it works out here.

The most important factor in the original story is "Whose fault was the accident", and that info is missing.

The OP said he did not know if it was his fault, he said he did not see the MB coming. he said 'maybe' the MB had no lights, so

the accident probably happened at night, and there is a good chance the MB did not have any working lights. The bike should have

been checked at the time to see if the MBs lights were actually working, if not, then the OP would not have been at fault.

This is Thailand. Not the West. Things do work differently. The Insurance should take care of the vehicle damage, yours and hers. If she has no broken bones, just a few scratches etc, i would visit her, be polite, and put 5k in her hand, and apolgise. It's called Kharma, good will, whatever, you've done your bit, and shown compassion (the 5k), and everybody should be happy. This is how it works out here.

That's fine, but suppose the MB had entered the main road from a side road in front of the car without looking, and the car with you driving, hit it,

would you still have put 5000Bt in her hand? I certainly would not have.

Why on earth would you pay her or anyone money? Have you ever owned a car or held an insurance policy? First class insurance just like any other country covers all, damage to vehicle and people being hurt.

Policy clearly states 3 rd party physical injury up to certain amount .

If OP is at fault, other party can sue the insurance .

It is because people like you who start giving out money for no reason at all , why so many locals when have accident with foreigner expect money.

The only police involvement here is to issue a fine for negligent driving and possibly assist in laying blame , so insurance pays to other party or insurance goes after other party .

I have also just noticed that the document I signed at the station says " I was driving carelessly and that it's my fault". So I automatically took the blame without any investigation or anything.. unbelievable.

When I asked in the station what the document says, I was told it's a notification for the appointment on saturday.

I'm not at all surprised to read this. In the almost 30 years I live here, police and insurance always concluded that I was the one who caused the accident. I have always had full insurance coverage. Insurance usually works hand in hand with the police to make the farang pay. I never caused an accident here but I was always the one who paid.

Nothing would be worse if you had flee.

Sorry to tell but what make it worse is how weak and vulnerable you sound and act...

Credos to you for not fleeing the accident scene like a rat.

The "police" have no interest in puting you into jail, it is "only" about extorting money.

It is classic for the "police" to fool you to sign a paper which blames you while not scrutinize the Thai counterpart.

I would never flee the scene and make matters worse. I am not one of those people. It might have been my fault, it might have not. After all it's called accident. It's not like I was waiting for her to come close and hit her - I just didn't see her.

I have also just noticed that the document I signed at the station says " I was driving carelessly and that it's my fault". So I automatically took the blame without any investigation or anything.. unbelievable.

When I asked in the station what the document says, I was told it's a notification for the appointment on saturday.

I'm not at all surprised to read this. In the almost 30 years I live here, police and insurance always concluded that I was the one who caused the accident. I have always had full insurance coverage. Insurance usually works hand in hand with the police to make the farang pay. I never caused an accident here but I was always the one who paid.

May be they see a sucker and go for it .

3 accidents , none my fault and never made to be my fault by neither police or insurance.

Nor was I ever made to pay any money

Farang always in the wrong as far as Thais are concerned I had an accident with a motor bike coming down the inside of me while I was pulling over Even my wife who's a police officer said I was virtually in the wrong by being a foreigner and had to talk compensation with the guys parents

I don't think a visit to the police station was even necessary, police could have written up a report on the spot, insurance guy write up a claim and that should be the end of it. You should call the insurance company up to explain what happen like the previous poster said. Don't need to pay a single satang.

I notice whenever accidents involves motorcycles, and it takes place in the country side, even with a Thai driving many times the motorcycle demands compensation just because they are a motorcycle. This happened to my friends in the past before, which makes no sense. They expect that you are suppose to have "compassion" because you drive a car and they are on a motorcycle and are not rich so they should not be at fault for anything.

Only the duty officer can make a report and write on the station's report book, he will be the one to decide who's at fault. If you can coax him out of the station, I suppose you can have the report written on the book, photocopied certified and stamped on the roadside.

I hit a motorbike at a road junction Insurance turned up at the police station and told them it was the motorbikes fault not mine The police insisted i was at fault and kept giving me diagrams to sign They were all wrong so i refused and eventually drew my own and signed that one The police were not happy and kept asking me to give the motorbike driver 30,000 baht. The insurance rep refused then insisted we all go to the police box at the junction and check the CCTV tapes. At first the police refused but when the rep started to make phone calls to someone the police suddenly changed their position and told me I could go home. They then fined the motorbike driver about 400 baht for dangerous driving. On the way out a policeman approached me and asked me for 500 baht to pay for his dinner The rep heard this and just grabbed me and pushed me outside saying never give the police anything. I think I was very lucky to get a good insurance rep that day.

I hit a motorbike at a road junction Insurance turned up at the police station and told them it was the motorbikes fault not mine The police insisted i was at fault and kept giving me diagrams to sign They were all wrong so i refused and eventually drew my own and signed that one The police were not happy and kept asking me to give the motorbike driver 30,000 baht. The insurance rep refused then insisted we all go to the police box at the junction and check the CCTV tapes. At first the police refused but when the rep started to make phone calls to someone the police suddenly changed their position and told me I could go home. They then fined the motorbike driver about 400 baht for dangerous driving. On the way out a policeman approached me and asked me for 500 baht to pay for his dinner The rep heard this and just grabbed me and pushed me outside saying never give the police anything. I think I was very lucky to get a good insurance rep that day.

This is more of a real experience normal people including myself had.

I am struggling to believe the nonsense some had posted.

Nonsense about paying some compensation when one has full insurance or nonsense about police making foreigner always wrong .

When motor taxi slammed into back of me, and broke all his fingers so police had to attend , he claimed I was reversing to hit him .

Insurance guy said it was impossible for me to reverse at such speed for driver to break his fingers and his bike to be 3 meters in front of my car.

In the end , police did not care who was at fault , because either me or other party had to pay negligent driving 500 baht.

Moral of the story, if insured and should be , do not sign or negotiate anything with police or other party . Wait for insurance to arrive.

They are the ones who would be paying, and unless you were clearly at fault, insurance will never let police turn it around. Why? Because if other party was at fault , insurance does not need to pay their damage and will sue them to recover for yours . Simple business common sense.

Farang always in the wrong as far as Thais are concerned I had an accident with a motor bike coming down the inside of me while I was pulling over Even my wife who's a police officer said I was virtually in the wrong by being a foreigner and had to talk compensation with the guys parents

You were in the wrong because you did not make sure you were clear to pull over , nothing to do with being a farang. I would be changing wife if she thinks you were wrong because you are a farang instead of thinking you were wrong for not checking the side mirror for passing vehicles

Edited by konying

Are you still married to her,and if yes,why?

Rubbish.

you are married to a Thai who supposedly can read AND you signed a document written in THAI? you are screwed! how many times unless you are under thirty have you heard NEVER SIGN ANYTHING you don't understand!

Why on earth would you pay her or anyone money? Have you ever owned a car or held an insurance policy? First class insurance just like any other country covers all, damage to vehicle and people being hurt.

It is because people like you who start giving out money for no reason at all , why so many locals when have accident with foreigner expect money.

The only police involvement here is to issue a fine for negligent driving and possibly assist in laying blame , so insurance pays to other party or insurance goes after other party .

Ok Big Boy, don't spit and froth all over your keyboard Mr. Office Warrior, i'll bite...

# I've ridden proper motorcycles since i was 16, still do. So that's over 3 decades of owning vehicles, and yes, having insurance.

# It's not a Felang/Thai thing regarding "expecting money". It's a Thai/Thai thing, or maybe a human being thing.

# Insurance is not the be all and end all of an accident. Lives are involved; can the lady go to work tomorrow? Can she borrow a mortorbike to get to work? How long and how much to fix the bike? etc etc. Insurance doesnt care about these "minor" things, and if it did, it's not instant payout like now. Maybe in 3 weeks time. Maybe. What about now. Tomorrow?

# Scenario 1. Family come to visit injured lady.Lady says nice Felang helped me, gave me a little compo. Was very polite and apologetic. End of story. Maybe even get some new friends out of the story.

Scenario 2. Family come to visit injured lady. Lady says Felang was rude, shouted at me, unhelpful and refused to offer 1 baht, saying take it up with my insurance company. Lady's younger brothers are pissed off. Retribution will follow. Not the end of story. You've made some new enemies.

# You ever come off a motorcycle? Even a small one? It hurts, and you are in shock.

# Regardless of whose fault it is, being nice and polite, brings esteem from the other party (and friends/relatives). It is the right thing to do.

# I see that English is not your native language, well, where i come from in England, having manners, being polite is everything, and if this accident had happened there, i would have visited the lady in hospital, or at home and bought her a box of chocolates/flowers to make her feel better. Same thing. In certain accidents, insurance and police are not even involved. Now, having a full on male pushy, shovey, aggressive Fortuner driver argueing with me with him totally in the wrong is a different ball game, and would probably end with a smack in the face.

# I've noticed some of your posts, business owner here, staff problems here, this and that Thai problems here. Moan, winge, carp. Felangs know everything better/ Thais are useless blah blah. Have you ever thought of actually understanding your self righteousness with these people? Why are you even here? Possibly because of the low wages in Thai Baht rather than Euros? Do you even understand anything about these people and this country?

# I'm glad i dont know you, nor do i wish to meet people like you, and you certainly don't want to meet me.

# As for helpful insurance companies, i put them in the same bracket as bankers and lawyers. Thieves have more honour.

Ok Big Boy, don't spit and froth all over your keyboard Mr. Office Warrior, i'll bite...

# I've ridden proper motorcycles since i was 16, still do. So that's over 3 decades of owning vehicles, and yes, having insurance.

# It's not a Felang/Thai thing regarding "expecting money". It's a Thai/Thai thing, or maybe a human being thing.

# Insurance is not the be all and end all of an accident. Lives are involved; can the lady go to work tomorrow? Can she borrow a mortorbike to get to work? How long and how much to fix the bike? etc etc. Insurance doesnt care about these "minor" things, and if it did, it's not instant payout like now. Maybe in 3 weeks time. Maybe. What about now. Tomorrow?

# Scenario 1. Family come to visit injured lady.Lady says nice Felang helped me, gave me a little compo. Was very polite and apologetic. End of story. Maybe even get some new friends out of the story.

Scenario 2. Family come to visit injured lady. Lady says Felang was rude, shouted at me, unhelpful and refused to offer 1 baht, saying take it up with my insurance company. Lady's younger brothers are pissed off. Retribution will follow. Not the end of story. You've made some new enemies.

# You ever come off a motorcycle? Even a small one? It hurts, and you are in shock.

# Regardless of whose fault it is, being nice and polite, brings esteem from the other party (and friends/relatives). It is the right thing to do.

# I see that English is not your native language, well, where i come from in England, having manners, being polite is everything, and if this accident had happened there, i would have visited the lady in hospital, or at home and bought her a box of chocolates/flowers to make her feel better. Same thing. In certain accidents, insurance and police are not even involved. Now, having a full on male pushy, shovey, aggressive Fortuner driver argueing with me with him totally in the wrong is a different ball game, and would probably end with a smack in the face.

# I've noticed some of your posts, business owner here, staff problems here, this and that Thai problems here. Moan, winge, carp. Felangs know everything better/ Thais are useless blah blah. Have you ever thought of actually understanding your self righteousness with these people? Why are you even here? Possibly because of the low wages in Thai Baht rather than Euros? Do you even understand anything about these people and this country?

# I'm glad i dont know you, nor do i wish to meet people like you, and you certainly don't want to meet me.

# As for helpful insurance companies, i put them in the same bracket as bankers and lawyers. Thieves have more honour.

Cannot be bothered reading the entire drivel

What other party can or can do is their problem.

This is why there is insurance.

Other party can sue insurance for whatever they feel like

Thai on Thai money thing ONLY becomes an issue when there is no insurance.

All the rest is just drivel to justify the stupidity to give away money

May be they see a sucker and go for it .

3 accidents , none my fault and never made to be my fault by neither police or insurance.

Nor was I ever made to pay any money

Some foreigners in Thailand become the 'path of least resistance' all too readily....

They them claim the 'farang' is always at fault when in reality it's simple easier to proportion blame to someone who's weak enough to fold at the first sign of pressure.

It is normal, once insurance company has agreed and settlement made to "injured" party, that a small fine is levied for any accident and it goes no further other than that and a police report noting things down. Once that is done, then no further claims can be made and no court appearance is needed.

Thanks for your reply! So all of this is normal procedure and I am not facing any jail time or some stuff like that? I mean the lady is fine, I had my wife call up on her to make sure she is ok and basically she just got a few scratches on her leg.

From what I understand, I'll go there on saturday, the insurance people will show up, agree on an amount, I will get fined and maybe pay the lady a little compensation and then the case is closed?

A "few scratches on her leg" could be a huge deal for some ladies. They can cause permanent ugly scaring for people who are prone to keloid scarring. If my wife had a "few scratches on her leg" they'd be hell to pay.

A Thai wife can read any documents. No matter how well you might think you understood everything spoken, most of us can't read Thai well enough.

And if asked a question by officers she can help you or if Insurance agent does the talking, she can help you understand later - if not then.

I wouldn't rely on the translation skills of a Thai wife - if it came to signing anything.

I'd straight out refuse to sign anything without a legal translation.

Sure, and what if the 5k is seen as an insult because it's far too low? What if she comes from a wealthy family? I wouldn't be following this advice. There's always a chance that if you're so willing to part with 5k, what's to stop them from returning the next day and demanding 50k?

Leave it up to the insurance company and don't follow any silly advice.

Never admit fault. Never offer money, which is basically admitting fault. Fault is never clear cut - there's a shared responsibility here and it's not necessarily 100% the OP's fault. For example, what if the motorcyclist was drunk, or riding too fast? What if she was unlicensed or unregistered?

I don't know about insurance companies here, but all insurance contracts where I come from have an important clause that you must never admit liability - it can void your insurance. Insurance companies are always looking for reasons not to pay.

Edited by tropo

Sure, and what if the 5k is seen as an insult because it's far too low? What if she comes from a wealthy family? I wouldn't be following this advice. There's always a chance that if you're so willing to part with 5k, what's to stop them from returning the next day and demanding 50k?

Never admit fault. Never offer money, which is basically admitting fault. Fault is never clear cut - there's a shared responsibility here and it's not necessarily 100% the OP's fault. For example, what if the motorcyclist was drunk, or riding too fast? What if she was unlicensed or unregistered?

I don't know about insurance companies here, but all insurance contracts where I come from have an important clause that you must never admit liability - it can void your insurance. Insurance companies are always looking for reasons not to pay.

She doesn't come from a wealthy family. She is like 50y old and works as a cook in a local hotel.

PS: Will update you all tomorrow morning once I went to the station and hopefully come back home ;) ;)

Edited by NewInPatts

She doesn't come from a wealthy family. She is like 50y old and works as a cook in a local hotel.

PS: Will update you all tomorrow morning once I went to the station and hopefully come back home wink.pngwink.png

tomorrow she becomes a wealthy lady

PS: Will update you all tomorrow morning once I went to the station and hopefully come back home wink.pngwink.png

OK, but she's probably smart enough to realise that 5000 baht is peanuts for most Farang and they will pay quite a bit if pushed.

My comment was specifically directed at thaiguzzi who suggested putting 5k in her hands with an apology will make the problem go away.

At her age injuries can take longer to heal too.

I don't believe you should be going to the police station as directed. You should be working closely with your insurance company, whom you claim are first class. Perhaps legal advice should be sought. Why put yourself in a situation where you are at risk of being extorted or locked up?

Ok, so it took 3 hours at the station today.

She claimed she cant go to work for 2 months and demanded 54,000 baht from the insurance or me.

The insurance of course asked her for payment slips (she works as a cook) and she couldn't produce any.

Turns out she doesn't have a tax sticker nor a drivers license either.

Now the whole thing has been rescheduled as she will have to produce all paperwork for her claims, the insurance will have to come again to the police station and since they think they hit a money tree and not a car, they might get their 3,000 baht hospital covered and another 4,000 baht to fix the motorbike and thats it.

Haven't paid a dime and won't. I am actually looking to counter sue her as she is buried in debt, just bought a house and is trying to milk me. Will talk to a lawyer about her false claims and hopefully put an end to the case this month.

I was polite, opened the door for her when she walked in 'on crotches' to look even more dramatic but not a single smile or anything. They just want money and even the police realised it and wanted to close the case today but they wouldn't budge on their 54,000 baht.

Have another appointment at the end of this month and will keep you guys in the loop.

PS: She also kept screaming things like 'it's always the thai's fault' and stuff like that. I told her lets go to court and she got all quiet. I am sure it will be settled on the next appointment and they will walk alway with nothing.

Would have gladly paid 5 or 10,000 baht just to put an end to it today but they wouldn't budge. Idiots.

Edited by NewInPatts

I am actually looking to counter sue her as she is buried in debt,

Christ you sound like a real sweetheart. I was in the same position around ten years ago and paid 40K even though I was driving with due care and attention but I'd just picked my vehicle up from a mechanic who'd buggered the gearbox up. Try claiming negligence against a Thai mechanic here. Pay up and watch where you're going next time.

Ok, so it took 3 hours at the station today.

She claimed she cant go to work for 2 months and demanded 54,000 baht from the insurance or me.

The insurance of course asked her for payment slips (she works as a cook) and she couldn't produce any.

Turns out she doesn't have a tax sticker nor a drivers license either.

Now the whole thing has been rescheduled as she will have to produce all paperwork for her claims, the insurance will have to come again to the police station and since they think they hit a money tree and not a car, they might get their 3,000 baht hospital covered and another 4,000 baht to fix the motorbike and thats it.

Haven't paid a dime and won't. I am actually looking to counter sue her as she is buried in debt, just bought a house and is trying to milk me. Will talk to a lawyer about her false claims and hopefully put an end to the case this month.

I was polite, opened the door for her when she walked in 'on crotches' to look even more dramatic but not a single smile or anything. They just want money and even the police realised it and wanted to close the case today but they wouldn't budge on their 54,000 baht.

Have another appointment at the end of this month and will keep you guys in the loop.

PS: She also kept screaming things like 'it's always the thai's fault' and stuff like that. I told her lets go to court and she got all quiet. I am sure it will be settled on the next appointment and they will walk alway with nothing.

Would have gladly paid 5 or 10,000 baht just to put an end to it today but they wouldn't budge. Idiots.

I was OK with your post until you said that you would have paid her 5k or 10 k, just to go away, absolutely the wrong thing to do and it makes it worse for the next guy. Balls it out, let your insurance company deal with it and pay her nothing, not one satang. And next time you open a door for someone on crutches in that situation, consider, ah, never mind.

Edited by chiang mai