What to expect after car accident

NewInPatts

Sounds like par for the course at Nongprue police station. Your wife's phone number was bought from them. Just make sure your address details are not on any police statements. Unfortunately, if your home address is on your DL or insurance policy, they can sell that too.

If you have paid your fine, the case is closed and the only reason the cops want you to go back is so they can assist in a last-ditch financial settlement outside the insurance... and pocket their fee.

Don't bother with a lawyer, not needed unless they escalate stuff which I doubt they will. If push comes to shove, you can always get a new mobile number.

Thats what bothers me - that I have to go back, I thought thats why I have insurance.

From my understanding I have to go back to sign some papers where mine and the 'victims' signature has to be on to close the case.

Them being really really rural people I am expecting things to escalate at the station, since she has no insurance, no tax sticker, no license - so they are trying to milk me.

I will refuse to pay, the will threaten with court - which they can't afford - I will be asked to compensate them somehow - hopefully thats it and the case is closed.

If I compensate them I just make matters worse in my opinion, as they know I opened my wallet once I will most likely do it again and I have no interest in compensating people that try to scam me in the first place.

Does anyone know what happens, if I just don't show up? We are moving out of town anyway..

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like par for the course at Nongprue police station. Your wife's phone number was bought from them. Just make sure your address details are not on any police statements. Unfortunately, if your home address is on your DL or insurance policy, they can sell that too.

If you have paid your fine, the case is closed and the only reason the cops want you to go back is so they can assist in a last-ditch financial settlement outside the insurance... and pocket their fee.

Don't bother with a lawyer, not needed unless they escalate stuff which I doubt they will. If push comes to shove, you can always get a new mobile number.

Thats what bothers me - that I have to go back, I thought thats why I have insurance.

From my understanding I have to go back to sign some papers where mine and the 'victims' signature has to be on to close the case.

Them being really really rural people I am expecting things to escalate at the station, since she has no insurance, no tax sticker, no license - so they are trying to milk me.

I will refuse to pay, the will threaten with court - which they can't afford - I will be asked to compensate them somehow - hopefully thats it and the case is closed.

If I compensate them I just make matters worse in my opinion, as they know I opened my wallet once I will most likely do it again and I have no interest in compensating people that try to scam me in the first place.

Does anyone know what happens, if I just don't show up? We are moving out of town anyway..

Call insurance and get them to come also. It's not a criminal case so insurance should attend any meetings

Call insurance and get them to come also. It's not a criminal case so insurance should attend any meetings

They will be there.

If the insurance agent is also going to be there, it is for the final 'agreement' sign-off. There will probably be some more family members there to remonstrate and cajole you for cash but they can all bugger off. If they refuse to sign, then it's up to the insurance agent to chase them but if you sign off and have paid the fine, you are done and dusted and you have absolutely no reason to go back.

If the insurance agent is also going to be there, it is for the final 'agreement' sign-off. There will probably be some more family members there to remonstrate and cajole you for cash but they can all bugger off. If they refuse to sign, then it's up to the insurance agent to chase them but if you sign off and have paid the fine, you are done and dusted and you have absolutely no reason to go back.

Once signed theres nothing they can legally do to me as the case is closed, correct?

Even if the other party doesn't sign.

Once signed theres nothing they can legally do to me as the case is closed, correct?

Even if the other party doesn't sign.

Correct. case closed. If the injured party refuses to sign anything, then that is between the insurance lawyers and their lawyers.

If you have already signed the report saying it was your fault, paid your fine and have your DL in your possession, you are done within the eyes of the law. Any ongoing meetings is just the pathetic song sahn and krieng jai sh!t they insist on when they realize that they gambled and (something every Thai motorbike driver does when they get on the financed, uninsured bike without any personal insurance or a helmet or a DL) and lost. Sod them.

Edited by NanLaew

Went to the police station and she demanded 30,000 baht and claimed she need an operation now. Her previous claim of 54,000 vanished since she couldn't justify it with her payment slips and so on.

The insurance said ok fine, we have to find out the real price for the operation and she said "no, I want to have operation in my home town" - basically just trying to scam some money and not get any operation.

So off we went to some government hospital to find out the real price and its literally 1/3 of what she asked for.

Now we will send the amount direct to the hospital, take the invoice, present it to our insurance and will get it back.

Was their last ditch effort to scam some money out of us.. of course no word about court or anything like that since they knew we called their bluff.

Case closed.

Went to the police station and she demanded 30,000 baht and claimed she need an operation now. Her previous claim of 54,000 vanished since she couldn't justify it with her payment slips and so on.

The insurance said ok fine, we have to find out the real price for the operation and she said "no, I want to have operation in my home town" - basically just trying to scam some money and not get any operation.

So off we went to some government hospital to find out the real price and its literally 1/3 of what she asked for.

Now we will send the amount direct to the hospital, take the invoice, present it to our insurance and will get it back.

Was their last ditch effort to scam some money out of us.. of course no word about court or anything like that since they knew we called their bluff.

Case closed.

Mate do you take your wife with you each time you go? and does she understand anything?

Sorry not picking on you, but you seem to dig deeper holes for yourself every time you do things

1. You should not have to pay a cent, insurance pays. It is NOT you pay and later claim

2. Government hospital is FREE as i already pointed out for you, woman is employed and has social security.

3. She is over 50, so assuming her work place does not pay social security, not only its illegal, but due to age she would have FREE medical care because of age.

4. Compulsory insurance taken out when paying tax includes up to 15 000 in medical bills, her failure to have one and still driving is illegal.

Case is far from closed, if i were you, it would be the time to consult the lawyer and try to reverse the mess you have gotten yourself into

Case closed.

Mate do you take your wife with you each time you go? and does she understand anything?

Sorry not picking on you, but you seem to dig deeper holes for yourself every time you do things

1. You should not have to pay a cent, insurance pays. It is NOT you pay and later claim

2. Government hospital is FREE as i already pointed out for you, woman is employed and has social security.

3. She is over 50, so assuming her work place does not pay social security, not only its illegal, but due to age she would have FREE medical care because of age.

4. Compulsory insurance taken out when paying tax includes up to 15 000 in medical bills, her failure to have one and still driving is illegal.

Case is far from closed, if i were you, it would be the time to consult the lawyer and try to reverse the mess you have gotten yourself into

I agree with you on all counts - but that's the deal we made with the police. We signed papers that we don't have to come back anymore as we are moving anyway.

I might be mistaken on paying the hospital first and presenting it to the insurance - it was my understanding from how it works in the west and I did let the wife do the talking.

Honestly, I'd rather pay around the 10k for the operation versus some crazy amount. Obviously they don't have money to go to the court.

I am not sure why the insurance guy would sent her to the hospital to get the real price of the bill when its supposed to be free. That was his idea, not ours.

Appreciate your input and will bring that up this morning.

What are you going to do when the hospital presents you with an invoice of 100k ?...... you did agree to pay the costs didn't you.

You got that wrong. The insurance said 30k is too high and they won't cover it and they have to go the hospital to find out the real price and the insurance will cover it.

It probably doesn't even require operation, the 'bone' doctor wasn't there and they put on a big show as always. Wouldn't be surprised if she needs no operation at all.

So far all her claims have been bullshit.

Edited by NewInPatts

What are you going to do when the hospital presents you with an invoice of 100k ?...... you did agree to pay the costs didn't you.

You got that wrong. The insurance said 30k is too high and they won't cover it and they have to go the hospital to find out the real price and the insurance will cover it.

It probably doesn't even require operation, the 'bone' doctor wasn't there and they put on a big show as always. Wouldn't be surprised if she needs no operation at all.

So far all her claims have been bullshit.

Hang in there man.

Think your doing ok, most people cave-in, in 5 minutes at the police station. and get the wallet out.

you have not done that, good job thumbsup.gif

She wont go to the hospital, but she may try and present a bs bill from one to you via the cops.

Many people on Tv have the best ideas, but they are not the guys standing there are they.

Good luck.wai2.gif

I agree with you on all counts - but that's the deal we made with the police. ...

Didn't I say in each of my contributing posts that the Nongprue police will be looking for every opportunity to milk this? Looks like they have another cash cow.

Your insurance agent is a complete oxygen waster. There's absolutely no need for you to make deals with the cops or traipse around the hospital getting quotes for some stupid persons fictional surgery. If your wife is feeling pressured with the 'authority' of the uniformed cop (an unfortunate cultural trait) or this krieng jai bullsh!t, you need to take charge and call the insurers head office, speak with someone who works directly for their claims department and stop this bloody nonsense and harrasment. The por ror bor compulsory insurance should easily cover whatever reduced amount the stupid woman is now claiming.

• 2 weeks later...

There are easier ways around

1. Answer the phone ONLY in English and no matter what they say answer in english

2. Rent a pitbul laugh.png

On a smartphone you can install app: "Block number(s)".