Van crash kills Thai driver, injures 15 Laotians

webfact

Van crash kills Thai driver, injures 15 Laotians

11844111_10153527372143637_1266065245_n1

SAKAEO: -- A chartered van taking 15 Laotians to Aranyapreathet crashed at the rear of a parked trailer in Srakaeo province early Tuesday killing the driver and injuring all his 15 Laotian passengers.

The Laotians were travelling from Bangkok to the border town of Aranyaprathet in Srakaeo province to have their passports stamped for longer stay.

Srakaeo police officer Pol Lt Gen Suthi Udon said the police were alerted of the incident at about 4 am today on Highway 359 at Ban Nongpai on Kilometre markers 22-23.

When they arrived at the scene with rescue workers from Sawang Srakaeo foundation, they saw the driver trapped inside the badly damaged van, and injured passengers sitting and lying near the vehicle.

A driver of the car following behind the van told police he saw the van rammed into the rear of the trailer.

Driver of the trailer sped amid darkness of the night, he said and added he suspected the van driver might fall asleep, and did not see the trailer in front.

The van driver and passengers were later admitted to Somdech Phrayuparaj hospital where the driver was pronounced dead on arrival.

A Laotian who seated with the driver said all passengers came from Bangkok to Aranyprathet to have their passports stamped for longer stay.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/van-crash-kills-thai-driver-injures-15-laotians

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-04

I still find it hard to understand why people still need to do " Visa Runs " It is not simpler and faster but absolutely dangerous and more expensive!

There are 2 trains a day out of Bangkok for about 40 baht which will take you to the border, i admit they are much slower but why risk your lives in one of these " Gumball Rally " style Vans......???????

Get well soon.

Farang Jaidee x

Is it to be a suprize """ Thai Driver """ well they left nothing to the imagination. Did he survive or did he get off with death and avoid the 30,000 baht fine

You just did what I did yesterday. I didn't read the article twice before commenting.

A chartered van taking 15 Laotians to Aranyapreathet crashed at the rear of a parked trailer in Srakaeo province early Tuesday killing the driver and injuring all his 15 Laotian passengers.

He avoided the fine and got a death sentence..

I still find it hard to understand why people still need to do " Visa Runs " It is not simpler and faster but absolutely dangerous and more expensive!

There are 2 trains a day out of Bangkok for about 40 baht which will take you to the border, i admit they are much slower but why risk your lives in one of these " Gumball Rally " style Vans......???????

Get well soon.

Farang Jaidee x

Nice idea but they crash too.

Not as frequently though.

The government is always trying to do something about these van accidents: GPS, seatbelts, no overcrowding, speedlimits for vans and God knows what else.

Nothing will help until the mindset of the drivers and owners are changed , and the police enforce the law.

Get well soon.

Farang Jaidee x

Maybe because the trains have just the same bad stigma attached to them as well