Public reminded not to fall foul of the amended Thai copyright law

webfact

COPYRIGHT LAW
Public reminded not to fall foul of the amended copyright law

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's amended Copyright Act, which took effect yesterday, has already caused some confusion about what can and cannot be shared on social media.

Malee Choklumlerd, directorgeneral of the Department of Intellectual Property (DIP), said the confusion was not related to the amended Copyright Act, but to the previous version of the intellectual property law (1994).

However, she said it was good to see that people are being more aware of and are paying more attention to the potential to violate the intellectual property laws.

The DIP said the summary and sharing of some factual news content obtained from various media sources are not considered illegal, and neither is sharing a few photos/content on social media sites, such as Facebook or LINE.

Malee said the public sharing of materials that consist of information, video clips, songs and photos from foreign news agencies, such as CNN and BBC, must be accompanied by credits of the original source and ref.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Public-reminded-not-to-fall-foul-of-the-amended-co-30265895.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-05

Someone in the government got confused about the difference between an academic paper and social media.

One requires referencing for checking sources to verify original vs plagiarism, the other is a picture of a cat that looks like Hitler

SNN3135HIT---682_1282907a.jpg

Source - 'Mein Furrer'- The Sun news paper- Time and Date not sure - next to the t!t$ on page 3

Final questions - do Harvard rules for referencing apply?

Or is there a Mahidol reference guideline we need to follow?

Edited by Charlie Croker

I read students' master's reports very often.

Sometimes they write 5 or 6 pages of good academic writing with no mistakes and then 2 paragraphs with many many mistakes. I guess they have a 10 minute concentration lapse, as there are no references attached.

Is there a simple to understand list of cans and cannots (English or Thai), or is this yet another typical 'open to interpretation', ill conceived Thai law?

Do I really need to ask?

I've TRIED buying real copies of software in Thailand, both Pattaya and Bangkok. Couldn't find ONE legitimate copy of ANYTHING.

You need to contact the publisher and ask them who there representatives are in Thailand that can assist you. I've never had problems obtaining software in Thailand that is legitimate.

Post linking and quoting Bangkok Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.