How to Open TBH Account with Non-O Visa

I Moved to Thailand last week from the U.S. with a Non-O visa. My fiancée and I plan to get married within the month and in order to meet the financial requirement of 400,000 TBH in the bank I am attempting to open a TBH bank account; however, bank after bank tells me that they cannot open an account with this type of visa. Bangkok Bank ran us around from branch to branch before someone said we had to go to the main office in Bangkok. There I was told that I have to have a certified letter from US Embassy confirming I am a U.S. citizen. Apart from allowing the oppressive overreach of the US government keeping its nose in my business, does any know the purpose of this document? Also, has anyone had success opening a TBH account with a Non-O visa? My fiancée just got off the phone with Kasikorn Bank and they listed the types of visas for which they will open a TBH account: Non-OA, Non-O Business, Non-O WP, Non-O Investor.

Apparently it is OK to open a foreign currency account with any type of visa. I need to understand my options and what others have done because according to the information I have been given, even after I get married, I will be unable to open an account that will meet the requirements of the extension of stay based on marriage. Thanks in advance for your advice, experiences and advice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Additional information:

My fiancée talked to Kasikorn again (the first time she did not emphasize that it should be a TBH account) and she was given another number to call. The person that she talked to at the new number said that bank requirements are that one must have a WP to obtain an account; however, it is up to the individual branch's discretion as to whether or not they follow those rules. She suggested that we visit different branches until we find one that will allow us to open and account. I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

As said try different branches - they can and will open on a non immigrant visa entry (even tourist) but often do not want to take the time if not conducted in Thai. Having someone 'sponsor' you is often a good plan (a customer of the branch). As for Bangkok Bank request for Embassy letter that is one method - among several - of proving you are real and should be allowed to open account.

As for the above 'prove I was not a US citizen' that is only to avoid filling out the normal FICA form now required for US citizen accounts as these may be subject to international reporting. All banks have procedures for doing.

I was able to open an account at a Bangkok Bank branch without a work permit or letter from the US embassy, although I did have to provide my SSN. Other nationalities don't have to provide similar info it seems, only US citizens. I did ask at a few banks in my area and was told I needed a work permit, but my gf shares a mutual friend with a manager at another branch who did it for me with no issues. Not sure if that would have been the case if we didn't know anyone there though. It does seem to be up to the individual branch's discretion.

I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

Right, in the US of A a foreigner can just walk into a random bank to open a bank account.

You actually can do that in Thailand, no requirement for a bank reference, proof of residence, proof of origin of funds, etc.

However, it seems that many banks no longer want to deal with US customers because of external requirements, and that is probably why you’re having a hard time. But with the proper documents, it should be possible, but it sounds like you refuse to bring them the certificate that was asked of you…

Go to a local branch of Krugsri with your fiance.

These decisions are made at the branch level, you just need the right person.

Dress well and look wealthy ... appearance is everything in Thailand.
Under no circumstances looked annoyed or angry, regardless of what they say. No branch manager wants a Foreigner with Attitude as a customer ... it can really make problems for them later. Speak softly and smile a lot.

Passport and a letter from your landlord explaining that you live here, in hand.

Have her explain in Thai that she needs to open an account.

Oh, and "he needs one too. so after he sells his three houses he can transfer all that money to that account."

Sign the papers and you are done.

DO NOT open a Bangkok Bank account unless you have to .. or if you like having your "uncle" review your accounts.

If you decide to , there is sort of a waterfall effect, an account in one bank .. makes other banks easier to get traction in.

Edited by Guest

Many years ago I was here on holliday with just normal entry visa from the airport and went. to a SCB branch in Pattaya and opened an account, they only wanted my passport.

Last year I opened another account with the Krung bank I only needed to show a confirmed address where I lived and I had a yellow Falang house book. Account opened no problem.

Many years ago I was here on holliday with just normal entry visa from the airport and went. to a SCB branch in Pattaya and opened an account, they only wanted my passport.

Last year I opened another account with the Krung bank I only needed to show a confirmed address where I lived and I had a yellow Falang house book. Account opened no problem.

Yes, go to a branch in an area where there are likely to be a number of farang bank customers already. I opened a Bangkok Bank account when I was here on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry ... can't recall which. It may take a little checking around, but it isn't that big a hassle.

I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

Please don't start down the whining farang road. If you were "understanding" how things work here you wouldn't be having the problems you are. For some reason, some people seem to manage to create problems for themselves where none really exist and, of course, it's Thailand to blame, not them.

Edited by Suradit69

I think Kasikorn Bank open account with tourist visa but you had to buy accident insurance of about 2000 Baht or something like that. Worth trying.

But the best way is just go to immigration office, tell them you want to change your tourist visa to Non O Visa they charge you few thousand and then after opening an account and having the money in it for 2 months you can get your married visa etc.

Additional information:

My fiancée talked to Kasikorn again (the first time she did not emphasize that it should be a TBH account) and she was given another number to call. The person that she talked to at the new number said that bank requirements are that one must have a WP to obtain an account; however, it is up to the individual branch's discretion as to whether or not they follow those rules. She suggested that we visit different branches until we find one that will allow us to open and account. I have only been in Thailand one week and already I am understanding all that I have read for these many months about how things work here.

Keep faith buddy, not that bad once you find your feet... When I arrived the first time my girlfriend went with me to Bangkok Bang in MBK Centre and they gave me a savings account after she gave up her Thai ID card and address. I only had to deposit 500 bath to open the account and walked out with a debit card and bank book.

I can't offer much advice except my own experience. I was able to open a Bangkok Bank account with a tourist visa. My wife was with me (at the time my girlfriend) and she spoke with the representative. We encountered no resistance... I would be happy to reference the bank but I'd hate to see you make a trip for nothing if they deny you... do you come to Bangkok often?

You need to get a residency certificate from immigration and give this to the bank then they will open a account for you. You need a long term visa like ED to get this.

I'm afraid that, while it may assist you in most branches, this is absolutely not the rule.

As stated many times in similar threads, it is all about persuading the individual branch to allow you to open an account.

To do this, you may, but not necessarily, need to be able to sweet-talk the customer service rep or their boss, explain your reasons well, be polite and very patient and persistent. If you are still not successful, go next door.

It is perfectly possible still to open a savings account while on a visa-waiver entry, with no address more permanent than that of your hotel.

I know, I have done it.

You might try one of these two branches:

- Bangkok Bank (Bangkapi Branch) on 182 Sukhumvit road between Soi 8 and Soi 10.

- Kaskikorn Bank on Sukhumvit road on the ground floor of the Pacific Tower Building between Soi 4 and Soi 6.

I was able open savings accounts (in Thai Baht, THB) at both of those branches with my passport and a non-immigrant mulit-entry B Visa. This was in 2010. In line with another post above, I dressed well when I went to open the accounts. Dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes. Whether this helps or not I'm not sure, but I don't think it would hurt.

These brances are on lower Sukhumvit road in an area with many foreigners so I think they may be more used to foreigners than some other brachnes around town.

Before these branches I had gone to the SCB branch near Soi 12 in Times Square building (close to my condo) and they would not open an account for me. So I just kept walking west on Sukhumvit until I got to bank branches that would open an account for me.

As another post alluded to above, banks may have been making it more difficult for US persons to get an account due to the FATCA regulations. I do know that my Bank Customers in Singapore whinge about the projects they have to put in play to meet the US FATCA requests from the US.

Edited by GotSeoul

With a Non-O visa, a letter of recommendation from a Thai (Bangkok Bank has a form), some way to show your address (phone bill, etc.) and a completed US IRS form you can open an account at Bangkok Bank Paradise Park branch or Seacon Square branch. I have done this myself recently. I also opened an account at LH Bank with no problem except you must have someone that speaks Thai with you.

The problem is not the bank, but the type of account you request to open.

In the West a 'Current Account' would be the norm, but not for a foreigner in Thailand.

Request a 'Savings Account' with debit card and any bank will open an account on any Visa.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Passport and proof of address are all that's required.

'Current Accounts' offer such as cheque books etc and are usually only available to Thais or foreigners working here with a work permit or with PR status.

I have opened accounts at Krung Thai on 30 day stamp in Dec 2013, Kasikorn And Bangkok Bank, on 60 day tourist visa, last November. Only needed US passport for id. Bank officer never even looked at visa entries. At Krung Thai, future wife's BIL had an account there and was used as a reference. Other two banks not required, I just put the money on the counter and said I wanted to open an account. Signed the paperwork and received my passbook. These branches are in Surin.

The US changed worldwide requirements this year, and now demand that the Thai banks report any earning from monies of Americans in Thai banks. The Thai banks have wisely decided that they do not wan to deal with this requirement, and started refusing new accounts for Americans. Blame the US Government for this action. I am certainly not laundering money in Thailand. Few would.

its quite amusing that you cant get a visa without money in the bank and you cant put money in the bank without a visa.

ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation, tellers will often tell you something is impossible because they are lazy, dont understand the task, or have never done it before and think therefore it cannot be done.

there is much left to the discretion of individuals at thai banks.

The US changed worldwide requirements this year, and now demand that the Thai banks report any earning from monies of Americans in Thai banks. The Thai banks have wisely decided that they do not wan to deal with this requirement, and started refusing new accounts for Americans. Blame the US Government for this action. I am certainly not laundering money in Thailand. Few would.

Thai banks are in agreement to new reporting requirements and have indicated so. They are not refusing new accounts to Americans - opening accounts for any foreigner has always been 'if at first you don't succeed try, try again' and that still works.

Please don't start down the whining farang road. If you were "understanding" how things work here you wouldn't be having the problems you are. For some reason, some people seem to manage to create problems for themselves where none really exist and, of course, it's Thailand to blame, not them.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not on the whining farang road, my point about understanding how things work in Thailand is solely related to the fact that rules are arbitrary and each branch decides what rules the want to follow at any given hour on any given day.

Edited by MeanUncleBuck

Additional information:

I posted over a year ago that BOT had changed the rules over visa status but everyone ridiculed the post.

This is what I was given by the bank in May last year. My multi Non O based on marriage was considered acceptable.

1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:

A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).

A copy of your Work Permit

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for long-term stay:

You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.

A) Your passport.

A letter from your academic institute to certify your status as a student.

C) A copy of your student ID card.

Edited by sandyf

Additional information:

I posted over a year ago that BOT had changed the rules over visa status but everyone ridiculed the post.

This is what I was given by the bank in May last year. My multi Non O based on marriage was considered acceptable.

1. For Customer with Work , please bring these items:

A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).

You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.

A) Your passport.

If these rules by BOT are in effect as you say, how was I able to open saving accounts at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, last November with only a 60 day Tourist Visa. In fact, the bank officers only looked, at my photo page information and not the stamped entries.

It seems to go back to, "it is up to the discretion of the individual branch." Just like everything else, there may be rules but they are looked upon as guidelines and any bank manager may do as they please.

I have had to suspend my search as my fiancé had to go back to work and most branches close at 3:30 and I do not yet speak Thai (begin classes on Monday). It seems they will allow me to open an account once we are married and on her family's tabian ban. After that I can deposit my money and get a visa extension based on marriage.

Edited by MeanUncleBuck

Additional information:

1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:

A) Your passport.

I really don't know what type of account your trying to open, or ask for?

Kasikorn Bank http://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/bankaccounts/saving/Pages/SavingDeposits.aspx

Savings Account with ATM or Debit card.

Required documents for account opening

For individuals

• 1. A copy of national ID card or other ID cards bearing your photo and issued by government authorities
  • 2. A copy of House Registration

http://www.kasikornbank.com/TH/SME/ProductAndService/DomesticTransactions/DepositServices/Pages/Personal_EN.aspx

Same for every other bank in Thailand.

Not difficult to research Thai Bank websites (in English) and locate the different accounts on offer and the requirements.