Driving to Chaeng Wattana

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotta go to Chaeng Wattana for my yearly non-O extension and will have to go by car from the Bang Na area.

I've done this once before and traffic was an absolute nightmare, shooting my blood pressure through the roof even before arriving at a packed Immigration office.

I took the Upper Bang Na express way into the Ram Intra Narong express way and exited at Ram Intra Road following it all the way to CM.The express ways were smooth (as they always are), but Ram Intra Road a nightmare all the way to Chaeng Wattana.

With rains predicted the coming days I want to try another way. Which highway is most likely less traffic prone to take: the Don Muang Tollway via Rama IX (or Ram Intra Narong) or the Sirat Express Way via Bang Na Trat and a bit of Rama II (both outbound) in the morning.

Any clever clogs out there with suggestions? I will have my wife and kid with me, so car is the only option.

If not, I will ask my wife to talk to a cabbie.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that the traffic was such a nightmare but I go from Fashion Island on Ram Intra past Immigration most days and am surprised to hear you had such trouble. I am assuming you've gone after 10am and before 4pm, shouldn't be too bad really but the Don Muang Tollway would be a safer route. Again between the said times and avoiding Friday you shouldn't have too much trouble.

• Like 1

I live near Bangna opposite Seacon Square. I go to Chaengwattana either by Rama IX expressway to Din Daeng and get on the Don Muang Tollway, I can also go from Bangna to Din Daeng and on to the Don Muang Tollway. I avoid Ramintra because of possible traffic jams.

There is a backway into the Government Centre if you take the first turning after the railway line and bridge, if there is a lot of traffic.

I come back via Chaengwattana express way to avoid being caught in traffic doing a U-turn to reach the Don Muang Tollway.

If you have a smart phone with Google Maps and GPS, it will navigate you by the best route giving estimated journey times for each route.

• Like 1

In Google maps, use the directions feature and select your departure time. It will show the average traffic in colors for the roads at the time you would be travelling. Then drag the route with mouse to find a way.

Still, it's BKK and traffic is always a nightmare, excluding songkran.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Don Muang tollway.

Small trick, there are two exits both named chaengwattana. Always take the second, which is about 500m after the first, which connects straight to CW road taking you over the railway line.

Take the first and you'll end up on the slip road on the wrong side of traffic lights and the railway.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

From Bangna, use Express way Sukhumvit 62, follow the sign Cheang Wattana all the way, you will have to pay 40 baht and 10 baht for 2 pay tolls, after the second pay toll then still carry on and follow Cheang Wattana sign, when you see the sign 'government complex' on the left hand side (very small), you need to get off the express way, try to keep right while you getting off the express way, there will be 2 ways, one is following the road to the left and the other one is following the road to the right but will get on the bridge, use the right one, get on that bridge , then go straight on (there will be 2 bridges that cross the junctions but to avoid confusion, Do not use these bridges), after you cross the junction, go straight on and look for the sign 'Government complex', stay in the right lane that can turn right (not the U-Turn lane), turn right (under the second bridge) in to the Government Complex, Follow the sign 'Building B'. Hope this help.

• Like 1