Thailand plans to grant multiple-entry visas to tourists from all nations

webfact

One hopes this isn't going to result in genuine tourists like myself who visit 3-4 times a year being suddenly asked to pay Bt5000-10000 more for the "privilege".

Because if it is, they can f--- off.

I'm afraid that this will be the end result yes. A single for 1,000 valid for 3 months and a multiple for 5,000 valid for 6 months. We will have to wait and see if they give up the double / triple entry tourist visa or not. To be fair they should keep them so that they don't overcharge people like yourself, who intend to travel 2 times in the first 6 months and 2 times in the last 6 months. We will find out soon. People in your situation would pay 10,000 instead of 4,000, so 6,000 baht more in this scenario.

So what are they planning, a multiple entry 6 month VOA for 5000 baht?

----------------------------------------------

The article is marvelously unclear as always.

For me, I have had tourists visa before to enter Thailand.

I know there is a single entry tourist visa, a double entry tourist visa, and , if you can find a place that will give them, a tr[ple entry tourist visa.

To me, as a fat old Farang, a multi-entry tourist visa would be one that offered more than 3 entries and exits.

And a 6 month visa has a life of 6 months from date of issue.

But maybe that is to logical..... to call something what it really is

A multi entry 6 month tourist visa to me would mean a visa that would let you enter Thailand as a tourist and then stay one month in Thailand.

Then if you wished you could go for a month to let's say Vietnam , after which you could re-enter Thailand for at least another month.

After that you could leave Thailand and do a couple weeks trip to Malaysia if you wanted to. Again you could re-enter Thailand as a tourist....you still have time left months on your 6 month multi-entry tourist visa that you can use.

By my simple mind a 6 month multi - entry tourist visa means you can enter and exit from Thailand as many times as you desire in 6 months, just as long as you are a valid tourist.

That would enable a valid tourist to travel around South East Asia for 6 months using Thailand as a home base for that period.

He or she would be able to enter and exit Thailand as many times as he or she desired in that 6 month period.

That to me is what a 6 month multi re-entry tourist visa should be by definition.

Apparently not to Thai immigration however.

if that is really what it was, I might be willing to pay 5000 Baht for 6 months of freedom to enter and exit Thailand as many times as I wished to travel around South East Asia freely.

But frankly, I don't expect that to ever happen.

No, it's not a visa on arrival or anything to do with the 30 day exempt. That will still be in place, you can't take that out, otherwise everybody will have to go to an Embassy if they wish to enter Thailand. That kills tourism.

What it will be is somehow a more upgraded version of the triple entry visa. So you will get unlimited entries within 6 months, with the standard duration per entry of 60 days (2 months), extendable for another 30 days, with the added benefit that someone that will use it for residing in Thailand will be able to get 9 months out of it by doing the last entry just before it expires.

Edited by lkv

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One hopes this isn't going to result in genuine tourists like myself who visit 3-4 times a year being suddenly asked to pay Bt5000-10000 more for the "privilege".

Everything is possible, but in my opinion nothing will come of this latest proposal by the incumbent Minister of Tourism and Sports. I am desperately trying to remember another proposal she she made public recently and which was debunked by the Prime Minister within a few days. I am waiting to see what, if anything, will happen to her with the cabinet reshuffle being talked about in the media.

Everything is possible, but in my opinion nothing will come of this latest proposal by the incumbent Minister of Tourism and Sports. I am desperately trying to remember another proposal she she made public recently and which was debunked by the Prime Minister within a few days. I am waiting to see what, if anything, will happen to her with the cabinet reshuffle being talked about in the media.

Yep, I'm with you. I don't think there will be any improvements implemented until, the starving bar, restaurant, massage, taxi, and tailors are burning flags in Bangkok. But from what I have seen, those days are not far off.

What will this do for some one that wants to retire in Thailand at age 69 and up? Current rules are money in the bank ..proof of monthly ..yearly income and 90 days reporting.Could one get this once a year 6 month visa 2 times a year for 5000thb then lives one life for a year.Leave Thailand every 6 months for border runs then buy new 6 months visa.? Let me know please...

What will this do for some one that wants to retire in Thailand at age 69 and up? Current rules are money in the bank ..proof of monthly ..yearly income and 90 days reporting.Could one get this once a year 6 month visa 2 times a year for 5000thb then lives one life for a year.Leave Thailand every 6 months for border runs then buy new 6 months visa.? Let me know please...

No, it will not.

If this gets approved (as some people were saying it's a maybe at this stage), although some people may use this visa for long term stay, it is in fact designed for frequent travelers so it comes with all the hassle attached

Enter 1st month - you get 60 days - go to immigration after 60 days pay 1,900 baht (trip to IMM plus money)

After 3 months - cross a border (the closest to where you are in Thailand), and come back - that could translate in lose a day of your life.

Come back get 2 months when they are finished go again to local immigration pay again 1,900 baht

Month 6 - cross the closest border again, come back, repeat the process

Month 9 - go to the closest embassy (more costly visa run), apply for a new multiple, spend one night there, food, accommodation, plane if you prefer instead of bus etc.

Your total cost will be 10,000 + 6,000+6,000 = 22,000 only in fees to cover 18 months plus all the visa runs I'd say you will hit 30,000 - 50,000 baht in 18 months. Maybe 20,000 - 30,000 per 12 months if you look at it anually, depends on how pretentious you are about where you sleep and how you get to all these places. But even if you sleep in backpacker's places and take buses, I doubt your cost will be less than 30k per 18 months (22k are just the visas and the extension fees) or 20k per 12 months.

At the age of 69, in your situation, if you do not meet the financial requirements, there are more let's say "unorthodox" methods that can be followed with the help of lawyers, that may come at the same cost but will save you all the stress. This multiple tourist visa works for people under 50 that don't have access to retirement options and have energy to spare smile.png

PS: Maybe if you don't do any 1,900 baht extensions and you live close to a border, then it would save you the 12,000 baht in extensions in 18 months, so yes maybe that would be an option you want to consider if you are willing to exit the country every 2 months. I actually believe many people after doing all the calculations (when or if it gets approved) will probably choose not to pay the 1,900 baht for a month of extension and just cross the border every 2 months, it saves quite a bit of money.

Edited by lkv

No, it will not.

If this gets approved (as some people were saying it's a maybe at this stage), although some people may use this visa for long term stay, it is in fact designed for frequent travelers so it comes with all the hassle attached

Enter 1st month - you get 60 days - go to immigration after 60 days pay 1,900 baht (trip to IMM plus money)

After 3 months - cross a border (the closest to where you are in Thailand), and come back - that could translate in lose a day of your life.

Come back get 2 months when they are finished go again to local immigration pay again 1,900 baht

Month 6 - cross the closest border again, come back, repeat the process

Month 9 - go to the closest embassy (more costly visa run), apply for a new multiple, spend one night there, food, accommodation, plane if you prefer instead of bus etc.

Your total cost will be 10,000 + 6,000+6,000 = 22,000 only in fees to cover 18 months plus all the visa runs I'd say you will hit 30,000 - 50,000 baht in 18 months. Maybe 20,000 - 30,000 per 12 months if you look at it anually, depends on how pretentious you are about where you sleep and how you get to all these places. But even if you sleep in backpacker's places and take buses, I doubt your cost will be less than 30k per 18 months (22k are just the visas and the extension fees) or 20k per 12 months.

At the age of 69, in your situation, if you do not meet the financial requirements, there are more let's say "unorthodox" methods that can be followed with the help of lawyers, that may come at the same cost but will save you all the stress. This multiple tourist visa works for people under 50 that don't have access to retirement options and have energy to spare smile.png

PS: Maybe if you don't do any 1,900 baht extensions and you live close to a border, then it would save you the 12,000 baht in extensions in 18 months, so yes maybe that would be an option you want to consider if you are willing to exit the country every 2 months. I actually believe many people after doing all the calculations (when or if it gets approved) will probably choose not to pay the 1,900 baht for a month of extension and just cross the border every 2 months, it saves quite a bit of money.

Or jim you could just go to the PI or to Cambodia where it is much easier and cheaper. A singe ordinary visa which is good for 12 months and no border crossing or other BS for about $260 per year. Simple. And you wont get murdered with a garden hoe.

Or jim you could just go to the PI or to Cambodia where it is much easier and cheaper. A singe ordinary visa which is good for 12 months and no border crossing or other BS for about $260 per year. Simple. And you wont get murdered with a garden hoe.

I can't speak on Jim's behalf and I have not travelled to Cambodia extensively to be fair, but last time I got to Poipet I got scared, smoked a cigarette and came back :)

If by PI you mean Phillippines, I had the pleasure of enjoying Manila for 3 months, I'd never go back unless I had to or you'd put a gun to my head.

But everybody's taste is different.

The reason people don't get murdered with a garden hoe in Cambodia is because not that many people go to Cambodia. :) As they do to Thailand.

why don't they charge everybody 5000 baht on arrival ? you can stay 6 month, but you don't have too ... as most are here for 30 days max ...

now 28.000.000 x 5.000 =

Because it would completely destroy the tourist industry - who would come if you were down £100 a person before you even start?

They better hurry up and rework the whole visa system.

The econony is tanking big time.

Another nail in the coffin was the announcement today by Virgin that they are no longer flying to Phuket.

I often fly Phuket/Jakarta with Air Asia and yesterday I checked on ticket prices. Although it has not been announced, AA has also cut all flights to Phuket from Jakarta.

Virgin is no longer flying to Bali either. The economies of many countries are 'tanking big time' Vietnam for instance is touting one year visas for americans to boost their tourism. Having said all that, the junta aren't helping, the weakening baht, might.

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769792-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

Thailand remain under Martial Law and the rules related to Social Media and posting on Thaivisa will follow the guidelines set forth by the Thai government and the military. Here are some things that you should consider when posting:

All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial.

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules, and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

To boost tourist numbers, authorities are planning to insists that all forms are to be completed in Danish, fees are to be paid golf balls and all tourists must wear sports bras.

When asked how these new rules would boost tourism, the ministry spokesman began singing "I left my heart in San Fransisco", distributed gas masks and began smearing the walls with yoghurt.

Another nail in the coffin was the announcement today by Virgin that they are no longer flying to Phuket.

I often fly Phuket/Jakarta with Air Asia and yesterday I checked on ticket prices. Although it has not been announced, AA has also cut all flights to Phuket from Jakarta.

Virgin is no longer flying to Bali either. The economies of many countries are 'tanking big time' Vietnam for instance is touting one year visas for americans to boost their tourism. Having said all that, the junta aren't helping, the weakening baht, might.

Was in Bali for a few weeks in May & talking to the hotel/bar staff & drivers it seems a lot of Australians (by far the main visitors to Kuta) stopped traveling there after the 2 Australian "Bali-9" guys were executed so it could be that Virgin stopped the route for simple economic reasons.

Shame really as the Death Sentences had nothing to do with Bali but came down from the (newish) hardline government in Jakarta & the only reason they're called the Bali-9 is that's where they were arrested, in the case of these 2 guys, could have just as easily been called the Aussie-2 as they could have been arrested before they left Australia.

Sorry... Strayed well off-topic there, just a thought/opinion on why Virgin has cut its Bali flights...

Was in Bali for a few weeks in May & talking to the hotel/bar staff & drivers it seems a lot of Australians (by far the main visitors to Kuta) stopped traveling there after the 2 Australian "Bali-9" guys were executed so it could be that Virgin stopped the route for simple economic reasons.

Shame really as the Death Sentences had nothing to do with Bali but came down from the (newish) hardline government in Jakarta & the only reason they're called the Bali-9 is that's where they were arrested, in the case of these 2 guys, could have just as easily been called the Aussie-2 as they could have been arrested before they left Australia.

Sorry... Strayed well off-topic there, just a thought/opinion on why Virgin has cut its Bali flights...

The average Australia that goes to Kuta Legian Bali is as dumb as a rock. If you asked any Australian drinking in a bar in Kuta what he or shes thinks about the Bali 9, they will reply "Yeah skulled 6 at one place...didn't know you could get 9. What bar?".

Australians have stopped travelling because:

1. Australia is now the most expensive country in the world to live
  2. Australian now have the highest level of credit card debt in the world
  3. Australian now have the highest level net worth in the world however 80 percent of that is equity in mortgaged residential property
  4. The massive bubble in Australian property prices did not burst back in 2008-9 when it did in USA because Australia has full recourse mortgages
  5. The commodities base Australian economy is currently tanking as its fate is tied to China, which is in free fall at the moment
  6. A house price crash is currently unfolding in Australia the likes of which has never been seen in the history of the country.

The average Australia that goes to Kuta Legian Bali is as dumb as a rock. If you asked any Australian drinking in a bar in Kuta what he or shes thinks about the Bali 9, they will reply "Yeah skulled 6 at one place...didn't know you could get 9. What bar?".

Australians have stopped travelling because:

• Australia is now the most expensive country in the world to live
  • Australian now have the highest level of credit card debt in the world
  • Australian now have the highest level net worth in the world however 80 percent of that is equity in mortgaged residential property
  • The massive bubble in Australian property prices did not burst back in 2008-9 when it did in USA because Australia has full recourse mortgages
  • The commodities base Australian economy is currently tanking as its fate is tied to China, which is in free fall at the moment
  • A house price crash is currently unfolding in Australia the likes of which has never been seen in the history of the country.

Australia being the most expensive country to resides might create a false impression by the above writer that it is the reason Australians can't afford to travel

Thats False Australia also has the highest median wealth in the world -

Meaning the average Joe has more than most.

Spending is going well ..including travel.

In Fact Australians Travel a great deal when compared to Americans and other G20 Nations.

Australia's Credit debit seems balanced when the property wealth gained from house increases are taken into account.

Profits from home sales are massive.

I sold a home last year for double what I paid for it.

Right now the average home cost in Sydney is over a Million dollars.

American Housing Bubbles were to do with poor bank structures.

Its again false to compare.

The Chicken little fools have been saying Australia is about to hit recession since 2009 .

We have not had one since early 90s and are the envy of many developed countries.

Australian Top four Banks have the highest rating, meaning the loans are usually credited carefully.

Commodities still sell well despite whats being said - it just no longer booming.

And ironically Housing has replaced the Nations coffers with that.

Chinese Place Australia as Its number one Destination.

The poorer ones go to Thailand.

Many students also study There (Australia)

And China is now the highest investors in Prime Australian Real estate.

Far from a Bubble Burst which takes a few economic conditions our reader above is maybe not aware of-) see bad credit deals..) The Australian economy is fine.

Our banks making record profits

Second highest minimum wage .

Poverty not a big issue like US.

And for the record Australians are travelling in record numbers .

Though , to pretend otherwise a long with fake credentials in understanding economics might help whatever agenda when living in a third world country.

Its unrealistic to say the sky is falling and Aussies are stressed with debit when the reverse is true.

Edited by Plutojames88

^^^Great point about taking income into consideration, I used to have discussions with people about how it was cheaper for me to live in Singapore than Bangkok purely because I was taking home £35-40,000 more pa there due to a 25% higher salary & a tax rate of around 11% vs 35%.

I think one of the major differences with the Australian Housing market is"Full Recourse Mortgages" which stops people walking away from their house/problem if it goes into negative equity.

I've just spent a few days in Melbourne & didn't find it expensive (was staying in CBD area which you think would be), by comparison am in New Zealand now & it feels more expensive though that's probably me still reeling from the almost $100NZ Taxi from the airport, almost felt like I was back home in the UK (especially with the weather).

Australia lost what was a dubious hold on its sovereignty, decades ago.

It went from a colony granted self rule, to a corporation registered in Washington.

Who owns this corporation? No one seems to know.

The country, the economy and the lives of its people appear as one thing, but are something else entirely.

The metrics indicate they are wealthy. But actual quality of life and spending power don't tally.

The people know that something is wrong - but they can't put their finger on it. They blame the politicians, but their democracy is a farce and inwardly they know it.

The aggression, racism, bigotry, political correctness and now being amongst the most heavily medicated for mental disorders - are indicative of a society that is utterly helpless and in the thrall of others.

The dominate world powers decided long ago that the Australians must not be in control of what is a crucially important strategic military asset or their enormously valuable resources. Consequently, they quite literally have no say in the destiny of their own country.

The middle class are trapped and contained by their fake home equity, the underclass are trapped by the welfare system, whilst a relentless political/propaganda/media machine overwhelms society with fake narratives, false information and nonsensical debates, which inflame and distract the people. And if that isn't enough, there's a draconian police/judicial/secret service apparatus which is a fierce as they come, to quell any dissent.

As the war cycle approaches and the great economic reset begins, we can expect to see the facade of wealth evaporate, nationalism and false patriotism develop into a fever pitch, which will facilitate the biggest business of them all.

Creative destruction.

Sorry , it was actually me that said that & I was just repeating what the hotel/restaurant staff were telling me when I spent 4 weeks there in May.

I did see a massive increase in the number of Chinese visitors from when I was there in November but the same guys were telling me that they only go on guided tours (run by Chinese tour companies) & eat at restaurants / shop at places they're taken to again, usually owned by the Chinese.

Was also interesting to note that Australia wasn't on the list of countries that had the immigration conditions loosened (despite this being originally aimed at them), though the scrapping of the $35US Visa on Arrival fee never happened either.

Very interesting topic, something to talk about over a few beers, but we have strayed well off topic so it's time to switch off & go watch the Aussie/New Zealand game :)

Australia lost what was a dubious hold on its sovereignty, decades ago.

It went from a colony granted self rule, to a corporation registered in Washington.

Who owns this corporation? No one seems to know.

The country, the economy and the lives of its people appear as one thing, but are something else entirely.

The metrics indicate they are wealthy. But actual quality of life and spending power don't tally.

The people know that something is wrong - but they can't put their finger on it. They blame the politicians, but their democracy is a farce and inwardly they know it.

The aggression, racism, bigotry, political correctness and now being amongst the most heavily medicated for mental disorders - are indicative of a society that is utterly helpless and in the thrall of others.

The dominate world powers decided long ago that the Australians must not be in control of what is a crucially important strategic military asset or their enormously valuable resources. Consequently, they quite literally have no say in the destiny of their own country.

The middle class are trapped and contained by their fake home equity, the underclass are trapped by the welfare system, whilst a relentless political/propaganda/media machine overwhelms society with fake narratives, false information and nonsensical debates, which inflame and distract the people. And if that isn't enough, there's a draconian police/judicial/secret service apparatus which is a fierce as they come, to quell any dissent.

As the war cycle approaches and the great economic reset begins, we can expect to see the facade of wealth evaporate, nationalism and false patriotism develop into a fever pitch, which will facilitate the biggest business of them all.

Creative destruction.

Nice post. You should blog.

two points.

1: the 1,000 baht fee some have to pay for visa on arrival is trivial. That won't make much of a difference.

2; Allowing some sort of multi entry option sounds good for my needs, but rembember a few years ago when they lowererd the 30 day visa runs to 15 days? The idea was to induce people to spend more money on either miltiple runs or airline tickets to get the 30 days. Now business is slow so they come up with other ideas

This is great for tourists who are doing the South East Asia tour. Most don't have definite plans, and this would give them more freedom to come and go. Many would likely spend more time in Thailand on their tour as well.

Next step is to follow the Philippines lead and make a retirement visa for those under 50. They would be required to show double the amount in the bank of those over 50. Those legitimately retired that are under 50, or offshore workers I would guess are typically bigger spenders than those over 50. Why not make it easier for them to spend their money in Thailand.

Whilst I generally agree with you, the thing I have issue with is why someone <50 should have more on reserve than someone >50. What's the difference between a 49 or 50 year old who has 65K/pm ? (their assessment, and would vary wildly depending on location/lifestyle/circumstance). Age has nothing at all to do with it if it is income from outside of the kingdom (and even internal income helps to increase the velocity of money...and skills introduced to help them be more competitive such as a language teacher). Remember that it is solid income month on month to Thailand, and maybe the authorities shouldn't decline any non problem person that is bringing in even a small amount of money if they are a net benefit to Thailand.

Even if Expats are a minority part of foreigners here (i.e. not tourists), if they're spending 65K/pm which is a decent chunk of turnover per annum, why not just have an escrow that you have to keep enough aside with the appropriate authority to repatriate you if you are PNG'd, sick or whatever. Why tie up cash in an account that you can't use in the economy? (we all groan at the need for 800K for retirement vs 400K for marriage when outgoings probably should indicate that it would be better the other way around).

Visa is for permission to stay. Passport is for where they send you to when they want to kick you out, and your origin country has a duty to accept you, as it is not Thailand's problem if you're not Thai, and they just need to know where to post you to on your own expense if or when that condition may occur.

As someone under 50 who could have retired in Thailand, and had no desire to work there, only spending $ brought in from my country- I eventually left due in large part to the hassles with visas.

Retirement is a state of life, not solely determined by reaching a certain age. Though the two are often correlated they are not always proportionally related.

I miss some things about Thailand, and the proposed changes to the visa program (if they carry through) do make me more likely to come back for a visit.

As someone under 50 who could have retired in Thailand, and had no desire to work there, only spending $ brought in from my country- I eventually left due in large part to the hassles with visas.

Retirement is a state of life, not solely determined by reaching a certain age. Though the two are often correlated they are not always proportionally related.

I miss some things about Thailand, and the proposed changes to the visa program (if they carry through) do make me more likely to come back for a visit.

The emphasis is on tourism.

The retirement age in Thailand is very low by western comparison but not so low as to encourage people who would come and work illegitimatly unless doing business as a Company.

Marriage visas have a lower deposited cost but if other income or support is not forthcoming then divorce is more likely?

The ratinionale may be perverse but ..... lol

The proposal to grant multi entry visas is quite possibly a tempter to those who tour east asia and use Thailand as the hub of that travel....thereby picking up a few more coins in the process?

Tourism is about turnover in numbers. Regardless of levels of expenditure, 1 star or 5 star visitors spend offshore currency. And when they do not infringe or cost Thailand then every setang is a bonus.

So if Thailand fails to accomodate easy visas for those who are wishing to stay long term but are not married, not eligible for retirement status or do not wish to invest in business as per the requirements then........nice to see you.... please come again.wai.gif

Compare that to the long stay requirements of the country of your origin and consider !