Thai Buddhists pray? Why? To whom?

fang37

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn0001

You are well informed!

My Thai is passable after 13 years.

Buddha - I thought India too. I was proven incorrect - Nepal it seems. But who really cares?

Library - pitiful. I have already donated literature in Thai & English.

Recently, I had some more literature impoerted. My MIL is currently reading same.

Are you aware of which wat I am referring to?

In CNX, I had a truckload imported - literally a truckload. The literature was then redistributed amongst other wats.

Lumpini was in India at the time of Budha's birth

Generally, I would classify myself as an atheist - formerly agnostic.

However, prior to a medical procedure, I find that a small prayer to "God" has a calming effect.

I feel sorry for you.

You feel sorry for someone who rejects the ridiculously absurd superstitious notion of at god??? As a lifelong atheist who resides in the natural, amazing, wonderful, REAL world...I feel sorry for YOU. 1zgarz5.gif

I feel a little sorry for anyone who has not had the opportunity of seeing is believing. If you had ever seen God, you would know. OK OK OK

No. . . not a big, heavily muscled, half clad, bearded man reaching down from a cloud, not quite, not even remotely.

Anyway, if you had you would know. I was similarly inclined. Yes the natural, amazing and wonderful real world is ok, but God is something else and everything at the same time.

For those that have seen it, or experienced it . . . . its pretty bloody awesome . . .not to forget easily

I have had such a spiritual experience and find it somewhat amusing that atheists get in such a state about something they don't believe in. Also, these so called "atheists" (who have never even been close to glimpsing the realm of the sacred or the infinite vastness behind the word. God), use it with great convition as if they knew what they are talking about. Still if it makes them feel better about themselves - live and let live.

Who decided Buddha was a fan of Red Fanta? If a small incident of bad luck occurs I'm always quick to point out that perhaps Buddha needs more red fanta.

Do you think you are helping those whose faith you mock? I bet they don't like it or think it the slightest bit funny, which is probably your motive.

I have had such a spiritual experience and find it somewhat amusing that atheists get in such a state about something they don't believe in. Also, these so called "atheists" (who have never even been close to glimpsing the realm of the sacred or the infinite vastness behind the word. God), use it with great convition as if they knew what they are talking about. Still if it makes them feel better about themselves - live and let live.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please explain what you mean with

??? these so called "atheists" ???

Thankfully, you are not God - not even on the shortlist I hear.

You seem like a reasonably intelligent poster.

May I ask you a favor?

Please explain why you think that I am not god.

I will then later copy YOUR reasoning to explain why other so called gods are not gods.

Other posters too are most welcome to explain why they reject my claim to be god.

Shawn0001

You are well informed!

My Thai is passable after 13 years.

Buddha - I thought India too. I was proven incorrect - Nepal it seems. But who really cares?

Library - pitiful. I have already donated literature in Thai & English.

Recently, I had some more literature impoerted. My MIL is currently reading same.

Are you aware of which wat I am referring to?

In CNX, I had a truckload imported - literally a truckload. The literature was then redistributed amongst other wats.

Lumpini was in India at the time of Budha's birth

Thank you.

I was aware of this ie it was Nthn India at the time the Buddha was born. This area of India was later to become part of Nepal.

In summary, I suggest that there is a lack of disclosure ie at the time of Buddha's birth it was India. Later, it became part of Nepal.

So, in answering such a question TODAY, full disclosure is required?

What is more important is that all but one Thai person I have discussed this matter with (in Nthn Thailand) firmly believe that the Buddha was born in THAILAND.

post-239536-0-82601200-1439323794_thumb.

Thankfully, you are not God - not even on the shortlist I hear.

You seem like a reasonably intelligent poster.

May I ask you a favor?

Please explain why you think that I am not god.

I will then later copy YOUR reasoning to explain why other so called gods are not gods.

Other posters too are most welcome to explain why they reject my claim to be god.

Personally, I cannot prove that you are NOT God. Nor can I prove that you are God.

Can you prove that YOU are GOD?

This is a new one to me.

Do people ask their gods to prove that they are god?

Any proofs given yet?

Anyway, if nor you nor me can prove that I am god / that I am not, why believe others but not me?

This is a serious question on my part. Don't just laugh it away, because as you said, you never know.....

This is a new one to me.

Any proofs given yet?

Anyway, if nor you nor me can prove that I am god / that I am not, why believe others but not me?

This is a serious question on my part. Don't just laugh it away, because as you said, you never know.....

Complicated question!

When you have the answer, please post details.

I am a mere mortal.

This is a new one to me.

Any proofs given yet?

Complicated question!

When you have the answer, please post details.

I am a mere mortal.

It is a simple question.

And you know the answer.

But you don't like the answer.

A much more difficult question would be: Why do you not like the answer?

I don't know much about God cuz I'm Buddhism but From my school teach that God is about love and kind

Maybe that can prove biggrin.png

Ah god created all the beauty in the world, the love, the kindness.

And who created all the evil in the world, the hatred, the meanness?

Also, you claim to be Buddhist, but you believe in god? Which one?

I don't know much about God cuz I'm Buddhism but From my school teach that God is about love and kind

Maybe that can prove biggrin.png

Ah god created all the beauty in the world, the love, the kindness.

And who created all the evil in the world, the hatred, the meanness?

Also, you claim to be Buddhist, but you believe in god? Which one?

Thor would be a god to believe in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor

In Norse mythology, Thor (/θɔr/; from Old Norse Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, the protection of mankind, and also hallowing, healing and fertility. The cognate deity in wider Germanic mythology and paganism was known in Old English as Þunor and in Old High German as Donar (runic þonar ᚦᛟᚾᚨᚱ), stemming from a Common Germanic *Þunraz (meaning "thunder").

At least you can hear the thunder and see the lightning as proof of his existence.

Many atheists jut have a resentment against religion or are scared of God/ Richard Dawkins comes to mind 0 even Stephen Hawkins asked him why he was obsessed with God.

They are obsessed with trying to prove the exixtence of God. They are stupid as the very nature of something spiritual means that one cannot prove it scientifically or materially.

Einstein said - " either everything is a miracle or none of it is" Please tell me your choice.

Many atheists jut have a resentment against religion or are scared of God/ Richard Dawkins comes to mind 0 even Stephen Hawkins asked him why he was obsessed with God.

They are obsessed with trying to prove the exixtence of God. They are stupid as the very nature of something spiritual means that one cannot prove it scientifically or materially.

Einstein said - " either everything is a miracle or none of it is" Please tell me your choice.

Yes, you are a true believer. That is clear.

Could you please tell me why you believe in your particular god (with assorted monks), and not in a different god (again with assorted monks)?

And if the nature of your god is spiritual, then how can he intervene in the material world?

Or is your god only a symbol for all that is good? In which case your god is not a god in the correct sense of the word.

Your idea that atheists are scared of god is the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever heard on this subject. Get a grip!

I don't understand if you are atheist why do you comment in this topic. I mean you can read this topic to find out why people pray. But you don't have to try to fight against people who are religious whatever religion they are.

If you really want to know why are we religious maybe you should start by joining and find out.

Exp: bhudhist you go to temple and do meditation and learn about thamma.

I don't understand if you are atheist why do you comment in this topic. I mean you can read this topic to find out why people pray. But you don't have to try to fight against people who are religious whatever religion they are.

If you really want to know why are we religious maybe you should start by joining and find out.

Exp: bhudhist you go to temple and do meditation and learn about thamma.

Joining and find out? Join which sect exactly, there are so many in every main religion.

So far, nobody has made it clear to me in this thread: Why pray? To whom? Why not pray to a different god?

Everybody seems to think that THEIR god is the only true one. On what grounds? Which god is the right one?

What happens if you pray to the wrong god? Are you rewarded as well, or are you punished, or are you ignored?

They pray for what they want.

It really does not hurt anyone.

They may ask you why you wear leather shoes.

I am not Buddhist..and barely anything at all..but sometimes I pray for good times.

A cute girl to sit on my lap....or a cold beer and good music...

Even a bit of beautiful scenery on this god forsaken world.

I am not Buddhist..and barely anything at all..but sometimes I pray for good times.

You pray to who?

Yes, you are a true believer. That is clear.

Could you please tell me why you believe in your particular god (with assorted monks), and not in a different god (again with assorted monks)?

And if the nature of your god is spiritual, then how can he intervene in the material world?

Or is your god only a symbol for all that is good? In which case your god is not a god in the correct sense of the word.

Your idea that atheists are scared of god is the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever heard on this subject. Get a grip!

Answer my question and I'll answer your absurd questions.

I will answer your question.

Is everything a miracle?

Depends on the meaning of "miracle".

Does it mean that everything around us is truly amazing - both the good and the evil ?

Does it mean that I look at everything - both good and evil - in awe?

Does it mean that both good and evil overwhelm me?

If so, everything around me is a miracle.

Does it mean that everything around me - good and evil - was created by a god?

If so, nothing is a miracle, as I do not belief in that kind of unproven miracles, and a god creating evil is in contradiction with the concept of "god".

Now I await eagerly your answers to my "absurd" questions.

You pray to who?

All my prayers are directed towards..."To whom it may Concern".

In other words...none of your business.

Prayers are just thoughts, hopes and dreams...like,

..."Please make this hot weather go away"...or.."let this one be a real lady"....or..."let the next beer be colder than this one". Two out of three normally get answered...but it's pretty iffy. I stick with the simpler requests...as obviously, praying for world peace and an endless supply of riches just does not work for me.

You pray to who?

All my prayers are directed towards..."To whom it may Concern".

In other words...none of your business.

Prayers are just thoughts, hopes and dreams...like,

..."Please make this hot weather go away"...or.."let this one be a real lady"....or..."let the next beer be colder than this one".

If it is not of my business, why mention it on this forum?

And why do you use the expression "prayers" - you surely are aware of the religious meaning of the word?

Archived