Thai Buddhists pray? Why? To whom?

fang37

Please explain what you mean with

??? these so called "atheists" ???

Many atheists jut have a resentment against religion or are scared of God/ Richard Dawkins comes to mind 0 even Stephen Hawkins asked him why he was obsessed with God.

They are obsessed with trying to prove the exixtence of God. They are stupid as the very nature of something spiritual means that one cannot prove it scientifically or materially.

Einstein said - " either everything is a miracle or none of it is" Please tell me your choice.

Yes, you are a true believer. That is clear.

Could you please tell me why you believe in your particular god (with assorted monks), and not in a different god (again with assorted monks)?

And if the nature of your god is spiritual, then how can he intervene in the material world?

Or is your god only a symbol for all that is good? In which case your god is not a god in the correct sense of the word.

Your idea that atheists are scared of god is the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever heard on this subject. Get a grip!

True believer in what? How is it clear?

I do not believe in any 'particular' God - the moment the word God is mentioned, a mental image is created - some of an old man with a long white beard, some others too, nevertheless of something outside of oneself. No word can define the ineffable reality behind "God". Perhaps "fpwtr" would not reduce an infinite invisible to a finite entity. But for simplicity(although not for some) my 'God' is of course spiritual and can't intervene in the material world. It is not omnipresent.

I don't know what you mean about the monks. I have no religion. My "God" is not a symbol for all that is good but the eternal, ever-present "thing" beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death. My God is what I call the 'supreme soul' - the only soul who never takes a body of his own. 'He' is beyond the effects of actions and is never subject to the dualities of birth and death, pleasure and pain etc. He retains absolute knowledge of the universe.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a l/t sober member of AA, the program urges members to have a "God" - a power greater than oneself ie I am not God.

That is good enough for me.

BTW, Thai people who have attended local AA meetings tend to have an awful time recognizing a power greater than themselves.

I don't blame them. The original members (USA) were heavy into the Christianity concept.

In my native country, not many AA groups recite the Lord's Prayer.

In LOS, the Lord's Prayer & holding hands is not uncommon.

In fact, I too feel very uncomfortable - coercion?

Being a l/t sober member of AA, the program urges members to have a "God" - a power greater than oneself ie I am not God.

That is good enough for me.

BTW, Thai people who have attended local AA meetings tend to have an awful time recognizing a power greater than themselves.

I don't blame them. The original members (USA) were heavy into the Christianity concept.

In LOS, the Lord's Prayer & holding hands is not uncommon.

In fact, I too feel very uncomfortable - coercion?

In my native country, not many AA groups recite the Lord's Prayer.

Local AA groups in my area(Isarn) have no problem with the higher power - they use "sing suk sid" and the start and finish of the meetings they say the serenity prayer. They are predominantly Buddhist and never say the Lord's Prayer. Newcomers in hospitals, attending their first meeting seem to have no problem with the serenity prayer.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference".

kor sing sak sid hai kwam sangop gae ka".

"hai yom rap sing tee bplian mai dai"

"hai gla bplian sing tee bplian dai"

"lae panha tee ja yaek yae"

ขอสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ ให้ความสงบแก่ข้า

ให้ยอมรับสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนไม่ได้

ให้กล้าเปลี่ยนสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนได้

และปัญญาที่จะแยกแยะ

I don't understand if you are atheist why do you comment in this topic. I mean you can read this topic to find out why people pray. But you don't have to try to fight against people who are religious whatever religion they are.

If you really want to know why are we religious maybe you should start by joining and find out.

Exp: bhudhist you go to temple and do meditation and learn about thamma.

The only scoffers of prayer are the ones who have never tried it.

I think most atheists secretly hope that they will have a spiritual experience and come on threads like these to feel better about themselves by belittling others - not a very spiritual thing to do but what would you expect from an atheist :cheesy:

Hi N.

Help me to understand.

You've been quite specific of what you believe God is and is not.

Many others have different combinations dovetailing their beliefs.

My understanding is that beliefs are not always synonymous with reality.

Starting from a speculative base, how do you conclude the mix you attach to is on the money?

In terms of what I've learned so far in relation to Buddhism, the Buddha presented himself as a teacher (Tathagata).

He was a traveler just as we all are, only that he appears to have been the first to Awaken.

He also developed the practice required to Awaken.

My understanding of Buddhism is that it is a practice by which one develops awareness.

Awareness which leads to insight and eventually to awakening of what actually is.

It does not involve faith and belief nor prayer, but the development of pure awareness and the insights gained through personal experience.

Not belief but actual experience.

I was hoping to understand how this sits with your beliefs.

They pray for what they want.

It really does not hurt anyone.

They may ask you why you wear leather shoes.

I am not Buddhist..and barely anything at all..but sometimes I pray for good times.

A cute girl to sit on my lap....or a cold beer and good music...

Even a bit of beautiful scenery on this god forsaken world.

You pray to who?

All my prayers are directed towards..."To whom it may Concern".

In other words...none of your business.

Prayers are just thoughts, hopes and dreams...like,

..."Please make this hot weather go away"...or.."let this one be a real lady"....or..."let the next beer be colder than this one".

If it is not of my business, why mention it on this forum?

And why do you use the expression "prayers" - you surely are aware of the religious meaning of the word?

Pray tell, feel free to educate me.

However, I think you have not a prayer left in the world.

There are actually two meanings....here is one example.

used as a preface to polite requests or instructions:
"ladies and gentlemen, pray be seated"
You are parrying for an argument about praying to gods/dieties....I am not.
So, I pray thee, bug off.

Many atheists jut have a resentment against religion or are scared of God/ Richard Dawkins comes to mind 0 even Stephen Hawkins asked him why he was obsessed with God.

They are obsessed with trying to prove the exixtence of God. They are stupid as the very nature of something spiritual means that one cannot prove it scientifically or materially.

Einstein said - " either everything is a miracle or none of it is" Please tell me your choice.

Could you please tell me why you believe in your particular god (with assorted monks), and not in a different god (again with assorted monks)?

And if the nature of your god is spiritual, then how can he intervene in the material world?

Or is your god only a symbol for all that is good? In which case your god is not a god in the correct sense of the word.

Your idea that atheists are scared of god is the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever heard on this subject. Get a grip!

I do not believe in any 'particular' God - the moment the word God is mentioned, a mental image is created - some of an old man with a long white beard, some others too, nevertheless of something outside of oneself. No word can define the ineffable reality behind "God". Perhaps "fpwtr" would not reduce an infinite invisible to a finite entity. But for simplicity(although not for some) my 'God' is of course spiritual and can't intervene in the material world. It is not omnipresent.

I don't know what you mean about the monks. I have no religion. My "God" is not a symbol for all that is good but the eternal, ever-present "thing" beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death. My God is what I call the 'supreme soul' - the only soul who never takes a body of his own. 'He' is beyond the effects of actions and is never subject to the dualities of birth and death, pleasure and pain etc. He retains absolute knowledge of the universe.

I think you are an atheist. A closet atheist.

That would explain your hatred towards atheists.

Come out! You can do it!

Come out! You can do it!

I used to be. No hatred at all.

I hope you are not being serious. You are on a thread being the devil's advocate on a topic you know nothing about. Look within at your motive.

Come out! You can do it!

I hope you are not being serious. You are on a thread being the devil's advocate on a topic you know nothing about. Look within at your motive.

QUOTE:

You are on a thread being the devil's advocate on a topic you know nothing about. Look within at your motive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

??? the devil's advocate??? Care to explain?

You sound like some of my ex friends from way back in the sixties.

We had a lot of fun, certain substances were not regulated then, and therefore not illegal....

I was the lucky one, and stopped in time, unlike others that cooked their brains and later followed jezus, bagwan, the bottle, went to live at The Farm, or did an OD.

I slowly lost contact with them, as I could never understand what they were talking about, and they always seemed to need help, usually financial help.

They too thought they knew everything.

Come out! You can do it!

QUOTE:

You are on a thread being the devil's advocate on a topic you know nothing about. Look within at your motive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

??? the devil's advocate??? Care to explain?

You sound like some of my ex friends from way back in the sixties.

We had a lot of fun, certain substances were not regulated then, and therefore not illegal....

I was the lucky one, and stopped in time, unlike others that cooked their brains and later followed jezus, bagwan, the bottle, went to live at The Farm, or did an OD.

I slowly lost contact with them, as I could never understand what they were talking about, and they always seemed to need help, usually financial help.

They too thought they knew everything.

Devil's advocate:-

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=devil%27s+advocate

You misunderstood me I never said you knew everything, in fact quite the opposite.smile.png

Whenever I hear people say:

God bless you,or

Do you believe in God ?

I know who they are and what they are up to.

Why can't these people respect others or other's religions?

They should not take for granted that everyone share the same belief like them.

If they are really sincere, they should say:

May all Gods bless you, or

Do you believe in any god ?

Now with the internet, many are using it pretending to send greetings and wisdom messages but at the end words like god, blessings,gift etc will appear.

You know who are behind them.

Whenever I hear people say:

God bless you,or

Do you believe in God ?

I know who they are and what they are up to.

Why can't these people respect others or other's religions?

They should not take for granted that everyone share the same belief like them.

If they are really sincere, they should say:

May all Gods bless you, or

Do you believe in any god ?

Now with the internet, many are using it pretending to send greetings and wisdom messages but at the end words like god, blessings,gift etc will appear.

You know who are behind them.

Although I agree with you, I understand why they do this.

When one aligns with a religion then this becomes truth.

All others must then be false.

Once one aligns with what they believe is truth then there is a strong motivation to share.

Buddhism don't believe in the supernatural and not superstitious...

So reincarnation isn't "supernatural"? ... Reaching a magical place/state of "Nirvana" isn't supernatural?

blink.png

who reaches nirvana?

and its rebirth not reincarnation.

So reincarnation isn't "supernatural"? ... Reaching a magical place/state of "Nirvana" isn't supernatural?

blink.png

who reaches nirvana?

Translation - I can't answer your questions.

Fullstop,

To me, anything that can be explained with logic is no longer supernatural.

I consider beliefs like creating humans out of mud or parting the sea, an almighty God etc as supernatural because they defied logic, science and nature.

I don't consider rebirth and karma as supernatural because they are coherent with science. I have started a thread for that and I will elaborate there later.

Any can help ? I am using an android phone to post. How do I reply with someone's comment included like most of you did ?

I can have that feature few days ago but lost it now.

Rock,

I believe it's a matter of sincerity and respect lacking with these people.

You don't hear Hindus telling others Krishnu or Siva Bless you, or Chinese saying Guan Yin bless you. Do Buddhists say karma bless you ?

Generally, I would classify myself as an atheist - formerly agnostic.

However, prior to a medical procedure, I find that a small prayer to "God" has a calming effect.

I feel sorry for you.
You feel sorry for someone who rejects the ridiculously absurd superstitious notion of at god??? As a lifelong atheist who resides in the natural, amazing, wonderful, REAL world...I feel sorry for YOU. 1zgarz5.gif
What makes you think I feel sorry for him rejecting god?

I feel sorry for him for going back to his god belief when he has medical problems.

Quite the opposite!

PS "ni dieu" is obviously far beyond your linguistic skills.

I feel sorry for you too.

Ok cool...we're on the same page. My misunderstanding

So if a Christian is not considered rude to tell me God bless you, I can reply "No thanks, I still wish to live" ?

Or if they ask Do you believe in God ?

Will they like it if I reply "I am not silly, I believe in many gods" or "please don't take for granted I am blessed by only one God"

So if a Christian is not considered rude to tell me God bless you, I can reply "No thanks, I still wish to live" ?

Will they like it if I reply "I am not silly, I believe in many gods" or "please don't take for granted I am blessed by only one God"

What has this got to do with Buddhist prayer?

To answer your question, I think they would consider you insane. Noy just Christians say blee you, I say it all the time to my kids when they sneeze, mind you they went to a Catholic school when younger

blink.png

who reaches nirvana?

Translation - I can't answer your questions.

no one reaches nirvana. buddhists dont believe in reincarnation

What has this got to do with Buddhist prayer?

To answer your question, I think they would consider you insane. Noy just Christians say blee you, I say it all the time to my kids when they sneeze, mind you they went to a Catholic school when younger

Sorry a bit off topic. Saying "god bless you" came about because in those days people died from colds. What the heck does "godspeed" mean?

It's common sense and good ethics that anyone who wish to believe the unbelievables keep it to oneself and have respect for others before bringing it up to others. So all prayers should be quiet and kept personally, not even to their children.

Saying words like:

"God bless you" or "Do you believe in God ?" simply showed no respect to others' Gods or religions.

It's a cunning way to convert or convince others into their belief.

Just the same like religions using money to employ people to go everywhere to convert others.

So is collecting money by using fears and tricks lime a certain fixed % from monthly income or passing the money bag in front of everyone-a psychological trick as people will be shy to pay less.

They should just use a stationed donation box like Buddhism, Taoism or her Hinduism.

rock,

I don't consider it a banter. What I rude are true facts, anyone dare deny or debunk me ?

Yes, I have time and this thread is a different topic from the one I started.

Any you have not answer my simple question there yet,have you ?

I will continue when the time is right but it will not be suitable for you to know since I find you to be quite dishonest. As you could not answer my since question there. Shall I repeat it here.

Do you apply logic to Buddhism or any religious knowledge claim ?

For eg. Do you think the claim o a almighty Creator God and the Adam and eve story as logic defying ?

Archived